The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

PrincessNelly_NJ

I swear the bone-in ribeye was 64 a while back. They much have just lowered the price or im still hallucinating from the mushrooms back when I was young. Sorry!
Sorry Randy, I think it's the shrooms :hilarious:
I didn't mean that in a "questioning your credibility" kind of way... I was just trying to figure out the math lol. I did notice that there are several sides listed that, if I'm reading the menu right, don't come with the meals. Maybe the meals came out to about that much per person after adding some of those sides? Either way, it's definitely not cheap ;)
Yeah, plus they had that automatic 18% gratuity, easily over 100 dollars added to the bill.

seascape

Oh please, let's not act like they could show the Marvel characters "leave" the Universal parks to come "home."

Your "fact" is correct - but the thing is, yes, Universal does want to keep the Marvel brand in its Orlando park. It's hugely profitable and marketable - in fact, if certain whispers are to be believed, they may be looking at expanding - and they have Potter to be the draw for the international locations.

And it's not questionable. Universal *does* advertise their Marvel characters licensed to their Orlando parks outside the United States, and they will continue to do so.

You wouldn't care if Disney hadn't bought Marvel. Put down the pixie dust, and let's only look at the facts and not Disney-favored conjecture.
First I would be interested in this even if it had nothing to do with Universal and Disney. I love cases like this.

Now the question of advertising rides and attractions on an international level has not been an issue because Disney does not have any rides and attractions based on Marvel yet. The question is what happens when they do? When the Marvel is at Tokyo Disney do you think Universal will be allowed to advertize the Marvel Rides in Japan? I seriously doubt it. I also doubt anywhere in Europe Disney will allow Universal to advertize Marvel rides there. China is the same. Anywhere Disney owns the rights to the charachters and rides they have the right to control their use. Universal's rights and the contract is only valid in the United States. This is clearly an interesting case and not something that says my company is better than your company. If you read my posts I have stated that Universal set the high standards that have to be maintained for their Marvel rides. I think they have done a great job of it. This is just a legal question concerning legal issues and is interesting to people who follow business and the law. I could see a possible add universal could use which would talk about the rides but not be able to use any of the pictures. In other words they could show all the other attractions and mention they have a spiderman ride but because they can't show Spiderman because he is in a Disney Park in that part of the world.

These and other issues will most likely be worked out by Disney in a fair and reasonable way with a new contract. It is not in either companies interest to publicly fight over this. They have too many other areas they have to work together on. Please lets discuss this without attacking each other and maybe we can find this a very interesting and educational.

Last edited:

randyrut

I didn't mean that in a "questioning your credibility" kind of way... I was just trying to figure out the math lol. I did notice that there are several sides listed that, if I'm reading the menu right, don't come with the meals. Maybe the meals came out to about that much per person after adding some of those sides? Either way, it's definitely not cheap ;)

You could question me, sometimes I may speak in falsehoods and I need to be called out ha ha. But in this case I still think I was right. Maybe we are all getting lucky and Disney is actually lowering prices at certain places. I guess it could have been the heat getting to me though.

PhotoDave219

I recommend you never set foot on tumblr..
the "trigger" and "offended" brigade are barking mad! (aka people who assault you online with insults and telling how bad you are for "triggering" them or for making them "offended" for something you posted earlier)

of course.. most of these "trigger" excuses are not legitimate complains (as they are used mostly to silence other's posts.. all because they(the triggerbrigade) DO NOT LIKE something).

I agree, the real benefit for disney was in the characters for making movies.
They are doing really well with their franchises.

Hang on, Am I missing the part where Universal as only full access to the Marvel chars in Orlando and no exclusivity worldwide?

Trigger words indicate a lack of self control an discipline.

These people need more Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in their lives.

Mr. Moderate

Nevermind, not worth arguing over. My only point was Disney benefits greatly for doing very little other than maintaining the status quo. Money for nothing. I'm out.

You hit it right on the head. Money for nothing is the operating motto for the upper management. Bottom line is Disney isn't doing anything with the exception of building more DVC and adding Frozen to just about anything they can for now, because they know their loyal fan base will accept whatever they do. Those two items alone are guaranteed revenue generators that will keep paying off, especially DVC and for decades to come. They're making good money on their limited offerings, so why spend it on (in their view point), unnecessary things like updating the parks. Loyal diehards won't care or notice and case in point below.

Scale back on the food offerings on the dining plan, lower the quality and raise the prices, no problem. Dinning plan is more popular than ever.

Spend a lot of time and a fortune on the MYW program that just wasn't necessary and is cumbersome, but will wring the still existing, last coin out of the guest. No problem and some diehards will actually spend money on decorating the Magic Bands with add on accessories.

Take 3 years to finish a lack luster expansion with the FLE. Most of which the importance seems to have been on Be Our Guest Restaurant/fancy M&G, which has proven to be a big money maker with little effort. No big exciting rides that generate buzz and fanfare? No problem.

The list can go on and on, sadly.

I realise how I must come off here, but remember it's people like me who love the parks, know the history of them and are just very disappointed in what has been allowed to happen. I just don't get how any fan of the Disney theme parks can be happy with the current direction of the company, the lackluster state of the parks, and defend it. Especially seeing what USO is doing to improve itself in a big way.

seascape

Please don't clog this thread up with the same things you've said multiple times in other threads.

Stick it In this one for example http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/marvel-characters.884564/

Please.
Okay. You are right its better over their. I just cut and pasted my post. I hope it can be discussed without all the normal stuff that goes on because it is a different and interesting issue.

and its not the same thing. this is only about advertsing around the world and each companies rights. this has never been discussed because everything was talking solely about Orlando, not the rest of the world and its impact.

truecoat

Agreed. I have. I problem defending what I say, I just get sick and tired of hipsters and twinker people getting all righteously indignant about a message board post.

If you can't stand the heat get out of the Twitter game. As a person not having any relationship to this board or subject once said..."I'm not sure you understand a public venue vs. Social media... Let's get to the real question... Why are people "snooping" on his Facebook?"

Yeah, they didn't know the difference between public venue and Social media. It's just that person and their friends having a good time together...with the world and they don't understand it.

LondonGopher

That the Contemporary cannot be had for $325 per night. The lowest rate in a Garden Wing Standard View room is $378, if you want to sleep in a Tower Room (Bay Lake View) tonight it would be $583.

And that while in the rest of Orlando, hotels are actually very affordable.

Late to the party, sorry...but I wanted to pop in with an "apples to apples" comparison of Bolna's "very affordable". I just booked four nights at Portofino (over a HHN weekend) in October. Total cost for a bayview room w/ 2 queen beds: $1000, which includes all taxes as well as breakfast every morning and a $100 food and beverage credit. The exchange rate is pretty tasty right now, I am more than satisfied. :geek:

UNI/Loews' pricing strategy makes people feel like they are getting a GOOD DEAL, which puts them in the right frame of mind to drop more $$$ on other things. If people feel like they've been gouged, the opposite is true.

While I get that Portofino is NOT a monorail resort, it does provide walk-out/boat access to two world-class theme parks - and FOTL access to almost every attraction in said parks! Oh, and CityWalk...;)

Keeping a lid on prices does a good deal to foster goodwill from customers. Keeping a lid on prices when you have the hottest ticket in town...?!

Now I'm sure Loews would love to charge Poly/Contemporary $$$, but I can't help but wonder what the occupancy rates at UNI are going to look like this high summer and autumn...:jawdrop: Full hotels, with people spending in the bars, restos, parks...I hope they make a mint.

I'm voting with my feet. They built it...and the British are coming. ;) Sorry for the mixed metaphor, I couldn't resist.

PrincessNelly_NJ

Late to the party, sorry...but I wanted to pop in with an "apples to apples" comparison of Bolna's "very affordable". I just booked four nights at Portofino (over a HHN weekend) in October. Total cost for a bayview room w/ 2 queen beds: $1000, which includes all taxes as well as breakfast every morning and a $100 food and beverage credit. The exchange rate is pretty tasty right now, I am more than satisfied. :geek:

UNI/Loews' pricing strategy makes people feel like they are getting a GOOD DEAL, which puts them in the right frame of mind to drop more $$$ on other things. If people feel like they've been gouged, the opposite is true.

While I get that Portofino is NOT a monorail resort, it does provide walk-out/boat access to two world-class theme parks - and FOTL access to almost every attraction in said parks! Oh, and CityWalk...;)

Keeping a lid on prices does a good deal to foster goodwill from customers. Keeping a lid on prices when you have the hottest ticket in town...?!

Now I'm sure Loews would love to charge Poly/Contemporary $$$, but I can't help but wonder what the occupancy rates at UNI are going to look like this high summer and autumn...:jawdrop: Full hotels, with people spending in the bars, restos, parks...I hope they make a mint.

I'm voting with my feet. They built it...and the British are coming. ;) Sorry for the mixed metaphor, I couldn't resist.
Well, I wouldn't say UNI resorts are affordable either. But is what you get actually worth it? Yup.
I just paid $381 for one night at HRH and I'm okay with it. I can't say that I would pay $300 a night for any hotel in Disney!
UNI resorts actually give guest real deluxe quality and you can't beat FOTL access!

KJC

Would they sign it today? Probably not. If they did I agree it would be worth a lot more. Disney however is not losing anything as they still have an income stream for doing nothing but keeping the status quo of a contract that existed before they were the owners. If Disney were losing money from the deal I am sure they would buy it out. But for now it is money for nothing and they have no reason to change that. There is no current need to put those characters in WDW. Disney wins.

I agree with this being the best scenario for Disney. They get their brand represented in a first class way with top-notch attractions, and they collect a check that they wouldn't get otherwise.

Saying it's a loss for Disney assumes that they actually would invest in putting the Marvel characters in the parks in a way that would elevate the brand. Not gonna happen under current leadership.

If they want to do a Cars-level Marvel Land, they'll just do it in CA or one of the international parks.

The alternative to Marvel in USR is no Marvel at all in Orlando. There is no way they're going to shell out the necessary money to buy out the contract AND build a land. They're not even investing in the other brands that could make them a fortune if they build themed worlds around them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom