The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

tamotu99

interestingly, i think there is a law that a panamanian has to captain any vessel through the locks.
i know we had to order one LOL.

glad you got to go through it as its really a one of a kind experience.

Firstly the captain of the boat (ive now just annoyed a lot of people;)) does not change, it is the person who is actually in control of the boat that changes.

It is not that uncommon, a lot of harbours have a similar Law, it is to do with these 'areas' being basically unique, so strange tidal currents, 2 foot of clearance, sand bars, things like that, and it is just safer for both the Ship Owner and the infrastructure owner to have someone that is intimately familiar with this area to be the one that is in control.

Dover Cruise terminal (not the ferries as they do it so regualry they are excluded) and Hamburg harbour are two other well known examples of this

And as we all know, shown by the Costa Concordia maps and electronic equipment(depth finders etc) can only help you so much

PeterAlt

Re: Concerning the Rumor that Avatar's Boat Ride has been Cut

If this is true, I thought the company learned its lesson after John Lasseter put up a stink about Cars Land and the resulting turnaround of DCA attendance that proved him right?! Have they not learned from their experience with DCA and Lasseter's prescribed fix?!

PREMiERdrum

If this is true, I thought the company learned its lesson after John Lasseter put up a stink about Cars Land and the resulting turnaround of DCA attendance that proved him right?! Have they not learned from their experience with DCA and Lasseter's prescribed fix?!

If the cut has been made (and I'd wager that it has), it would likely be an O-Town decision; since "stupid tourists" will keep coming in droves in spite of TDO's bare minimum efforts.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

If the cut has been made (and I'd wager that it has), it would likely be an O-Town decision; since "stupid tourists" will keep coming in droves in spite of TDO's bare minimum efforts.
If true I really doubt the decision comes from anyone in FL. A project this size is usually dictated right from the top. I assume the lowest that decision would probably go is Staggs but I would assume it's more likely Iger.

The decision being made because "stupid tourists" keep coming in droves is probably part of why Iger and his crew would do this. Carsland and DLR is a different animal. The economics are different. With multiday tickets being the norm at WDW it's hard to quantify gains from additional guests. The one economic angle that made me think maybe this project would be different was making AK a full day park. That would be more easy to quantify in meal and drink sales as well as single day ticket sales. I have to assume that if this rumor turns out to be true they have pretty much abandoned the idea of making AK a full day park. Adding 1 new ride isn't gonna get it done. Adding 2 new rides wasn't going to get it done either, but there was some hope that if they were investing this much on Avland that it would potentially lead to some additional smaller scale attractions too to fill out the park. If they are cutting the boat ride then they won't be doing anything else either. Too bad. I really hope that the rumors turn out to be not true. Makes me really doubtful that anything meaningful will be added to DHS for StarWars either.

Witchy Chick

T

Theres only one scene involving animals (the wolves) in the entire film. It's not the best fit for DAK

Actually, the theme of (spoiler tag for those who haven't seen Maleficent yet)

"Evil" mankind trying to destroy the magic of the moors was very "Pocohantas" to me.

Also, Diaval shape shifts

Into a couple different animals.

doctornick

To be fair though, even @WDW1974 has said that the delay/cut of the boat ride is NOT confirmed at this point. As hard as recent history makes it, best to still keep a bit of faith that Avatarland will be done right.

I place faith in Cameron and his people and am skeptical that he will let it open with only one ride or that it will be poorly done. Especially after an apparently long negotiation process between the two sides that almost led to the project being cancelled.

Strange thought: is it possible that the boat ride would be cancelled in favor of a different ride (bike coaster?) being added instead? I wouldn't want that to be the case, though, as the idea of the family friendly boat ride is what I like most about the project.

John

Firstly the captain of the boat (ive now just annoyed a lot of people;)) does not change, it is the person who is actually in control of the boat that changes.

It is not that uncommon, a lot of harbours have a similar Law, it is to do with these 'areas' being basically unique, so strange tidal currents, 2 foot of clearance, sand bars, things like that, and it is just safer for both the Ship Owner and the infrastructure owner to have someone that is intimately familiar with this area to be the one that is in control.

Dover Cruise terminal (not the ferries as they do it so regualry they are excluded) and Hamburg harbour are two other well known examples of this

And as we all know, shown by the Costa Concordia maps and electronic equipment(depth finders etc) can only help you so much

That person would be called a pilot. They have been around forever. It has more to do with unions here in the states then it does about necessity. When the practice was started it was absolutely because of the reasons you mentioned. But that was long ago before electronics and channel markers etc. Those pilots are extremely costly. They make six figures. If it was so necessary there wouldn't have to be laws to make it mandatory. Shipping companies would be happy to pay the hefty fee to avoid their ships running aground. Now a days someone can pilot the ship via radio. Its a sham. A legal shake down.

bhg469

I place faith in Cameron and his people and am skeptical that he will let it open with only one ride or that it will be poorly done. Especially after an apparently long negotiation process between the two sides that almost led to the project being cancelled.

Strange thought: is it possible that the boat ride would be cancelled in favor of a different ride (bike coaster?) being added instead? I wouldn't want that to be the case, though, as the idea of the family friendly boat ride is what I like most about the project.
I think we are expecting cameron to have the same level of control Rowling insisted on. He is busier and involved in many more undertakings. He has very little say I'm sure.

SJN1279

Disneyland is better than Disneyworld if you like cramped walkways, rollercoasters without hills, and rude locals bored with the actual attractions,(especially on weekend nights).

That said I enjoy going to The Disneyland Resort, I just prefer WDW much more. Radiator Springs Racers and Indiana Jones Adventure are two attractions I wish WDW had though.

FigmentJedi

Please, they let Jeff Lange sell DVDs. They decide who they are going after based on all sorts of personal reasons based on who the person is and what the upside/downside is.

BTW, I'm sure they are quite happy they stopped letting him and his partner get free cruises and left the damage to Carnival. Micky Arison has very deep pockets!
Well Jeff at least isn't selling bootlegs of actual Disney productions like that guy who did the Extinct Attractions Club was doing. Selling comprehensive home movies is apparently more of a gray area in the mind of Disney's lawyers.

Suspirian

Actually, the theme of (spoiler tag for those who haven't seen Maleficent yet)

"Evil" mankind trying to destroy the magic of the moors was very "Pocohantas" to me.

Also, Diaval shape shifts

Into a couple different animals.

That post was about frozen. Now that you brought it up, that actually fits DAK fairly well. If they ever got around to beastly kingdom (probably not) a maleficent attraction would work

Kman101

I noticed the same things about Disneyland vs. Magic Kingdom/Disney World. Guests were overall better, cast members were overall happier. It's a very different experience. Since I've been back I keep itching to go back. I should have that feeling for WDW, like I used to, but I don't. I go because I enjoy Disney but it's no secret that WDW has become extremely stressful, crowded and the cast members look like they want to be anywhere but there. NOT all of them. In fact, lately I have seen a bit of an improvement. I don't like how they try to blame the guests. CM's can be just as rude and annoyed as much as the guests can be demanding, unruly and nasty. My last few visits I personally have seen what seems to be a lot more happier CMs, but Disneyland really is a lot better of a Disney experience.

I also want to point out you DON'T have to book your FP's 60 days in advance. Seriously. I just don't see that. I've gone day of and had zero problems. There IS going to be the odd time where maybe something isn't available but the notion you HAVE to plan your days that far in advance? I don't see it. Sorry, but I don't.

alissafalco

If true I really doubt the decision comes from anyone in FL. A project this size is usually dictated right from the top. I assume the lowest that decision would probably go is Staggs but I would assume it's more likely Iger.

The decision being made because "stupid tourists" keep coming in droves is probably part of why Iger and his crew would do this. Carsland and DLR is a different animal. The economics are different. With multiday tickets being the norm at WDW it's hard to quantify gains from additional guests. The one economic angle that made me think maybe this project would be different was making AK a full day park. That would be more easy to quantify in meal and drink sales as well as single day ticket sales. I have to assume that if this rumor turns out to be true they have pretty much abandoned the idea of making AK a full day park. Adding 1 new ride isn't gonna get it done. Adding 2 new rides wasn't going to get it done either, but there was some hope that if they were investing this much on Avland that it would potentially lead to some additional smaller scale attractions too to fill out the park. If they are cutting the boat ride then they won't be doing anything else either. Too bad. I really hope that the rumors turn out to be not true. Makes me really doubtful that anything meaningful will be added to DHS for StarWars either.
Someone posted in another thread a very recent interview with james cameron where he stated it would be 2 rides. The interview was a few weeks ago or last month.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I posted this in another thread. Please note the second sentence though:

I'm hearing from more reliable sources there may be some truth to this afterall.

Let me add a disclaimer that this is as of today, at this time, and is not confirmed in writing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Someone posted in another thread a very recent interview with james cameron where he stated it would be 2 rides. The interview was a few weeks ago or last month.
I had a lot of confidence that this rumor was not true based on that and also the original source. But, I'm not sure what to think anymore. I know nothing is confirmed yet and it's still basically just a rumor, but it's not going away either.
Edit: ^another reliable source saying they are also hearing this rumor. Not a good sign:(

asianway

I posted this in another thread. Please note the second sentence though:

I'm hearing from more reliable sources there may be some truth to this afterall.

Let me add a disclaimer that this is as of today, at this time, and is not confirmed in writing.

Sorry I may be reading too much into syntax-truth the boat may be cancelled or truth it was a bogus rumor? Thanks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom