The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

ParentsOf4

Has Pandora been delayed? I thought they said 2017
The following is from last year's company 10K:

In September 2011, the Company announced an agreement with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment for the exclusive global theme park rights to create themed lands based on the AVATAR franchise with the first land planned for Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Scheduled to open in 2017, the AVATAR-inspired land will be a part of an expansion in Disney's Animal Kingdom, which will include new entertainment and nighttime experiences.​

Please refer to the part I bolded.

As an SEC filing, the 10K should be taken seriously.

With that acknowledged, plans change. Any statement Disney makes regarding the opening of Pandora should be considered a plan, not a promise. ;)

Still, dragging their feet to delay the opening of Pandora (or Star Wars Land) is just bad business. The sooner they open, the sooner they'll start to recoup their investment.

One topic discussed on this thread in recent days is Eisner vs. Iger. Prior to Iger, most Parks & Resorts projects were rushed; there was a sense of urgency. Under Eisner, this sometimes resulted in go fever. (Please refer to the link to understand the reference.) As a result, some projects failed to meet expectations.

However, even during Eisner's worst years, the shovel generally hit the ground quickly, resulting in a constant stream of theme park updates. (The historical P&R capex budget supports this assertion.)

With Iger scheduled to step down in 2016, it appears that a grand total of two brick-and-mortar WDW theme park additions will have been started and finished during Iger's 11-year reign.

Eleven years; four theme parks; two additions. :banghead:

Nemo14

In September 2011, the Company announced an agreement with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment for the exclusive global theme park rights to create themed lands based on the AVATAR franchise with the first land planned for Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Scheduled to open in 2017, the AVATAR-inspired land will be a part of an expansion in Disney's Animal Kingdom, which will include new entertainment and nighttime experiences.​

With that acknowledged, plans change. Any statement Disney makes regarding the opening of Pandora should be considered a plan, not a promise. ;)

Still, dragging their feet to delay the opening of Pandora (or Star Wars Land) is just bad business. The sooner they open, the sooner they'll start to recoup their investment.

One topic discussed on this thread in recent days is Eisner vs. Iger. Prior to Iger, most Parks & Resorts projects were rushed; there was a sense of urgency. Under Eisner, this sometimes resulted in go fever. (Please refer to the link to understand the reference.) This sometimes resulted in projects that failed to deliver.

However, at least under Eisner, even during his worst years, the shovel generally hit the ground quickly, resulting in a constant stream of theme park updates. (The historical P&R capex budget supports this assertion.)

With Iger scheduled to step down in 2016, it appears that a grand total of two brick-and-mortar WDW theme park additions will have been started and finished during Iger's 11-year reign.

but thousands of magical bracelets.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

One topic discussed on this thread in recent days is Eisner vs. Iger. Prior to Iger, most Parks & Resorts projects were rushed; there was a sense of urgency. Under Eisner, this sometimes resulted in go fever. (Please refer to the link to understand the reference.) As a result, some projects failed to meet expectations.

However, even during Eisner's worst years, the shovel generally hit the ground quickly, resulting in a constant stream of theme park updates. (The historical P&R capex budget supports this assertion.)

What bothers me is how Disney drags out capital projects over years unless forced at gunpoint to accelerate (See Chinese Projects) This is not how a healthy company does capital projects - A healthy company does capital projects as fast as possible to realize a return on investment as well as being able to depreciate that asset as quickly as possible as an offset to taxes.

We keep getting told how Disney has 150B in market capitalization and how Disney is 'Too Big to Fail' Am I the only one who looks at this stuff and is worried about the future of TWDC?, TWDC has lots of salable assets which would make good standalone businesses or units of another company.

With the current dysfunctional management culture I'm wondering whether TWDC will continue as a integrated whole or will it be broken up into more rational units.

wogwog

I am surprised at any delay that involves concrete. With all the added concrete at MK recently you would think Disney would know how to use concrete by now.;)

BernardandBianca

"$125 was my renewal..... But not this year.
Are you serious? No discount for returning members either?" (Sorry, I don't know how to add two quotes in a response.)

No discount for returning members (unlike in the past), but if you are a Florida AP (or DVC member), it "only" costs $100 per card. And I can remember, like WDW1974, getting two cards for the price of one membership, though mine was $50 the first year we got it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom