The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

lobelia

Yeah, says who? Me and my four listeners happen to think Weekly Wheel Hour makes for rivetting listeing!!

While I'm advertising myself: my next podcast will be the second in a three part series entirely devoted to the 1987 change in colour scheme of the Empress Room's ashtrays from turquoise to sea foam green.

Is it just a love for the Empress Lilly or all Sternwheelers? I have a Sternwheeler named the Valley Gem that travels up and down the river in what we call the front yard of our cabin.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
-It was actually listed under the Hogwarts Express on Universal's website that you would get one ride per day.

-And one week later, completely forgotten about(regarding the new Harry Potter short story).

If JK decided to write an 8th book, Potter would revive, until then it is popular but fading.

No one reads books, its podcasts now, havent you heard?

71jason

That was only a rumor. Don't believe everything on the internet.

It was a rumor from @HTF. I haven't gone wrong yet believing everything he tells me--it's how I got into the soft opens! And you can confirm it yourself when you ride, you'll see the re-ride lines are there, just not in use.

I was a Uni fanboi long before being a Uni fanboi was cool, but I'm not going to act like a Pixie Duster and deny demonstrable facts.

Your other statement is pure opinion. Did you not see how people jumped for joy when J.K. Rowling released a quick story on Harry Potter? It was on every news station, it was trending on social media sites for days.

This is true. The fanbase remains hugely loyal They're dropping a lot of coin in all the new shops, as well.

PrincessNelly_NJ

It was a rumor from @HTF. I haven't gone wrong yet believing everything he tells me--it's how I got into the soft opens! And you can confirm it yourself when you ride, you'll see the re-ride lines are there, just not in use.

I was a Uni fanboi long before being a Uni fanboi was cool, but I'm not going to act like a Pixie Duster and deny demonstrable facts.

This is true. The fanbase remains hugely loyal They're dropping a lot of coin in all the new shops, as well.
It may have been something they were considering but like you said, it was still a rumor. ;)

Mike S

That it is. And I think higher than anticipated by grouping people on the platform and letting them see the train come in rather than holding them until it was in place. Also keep in mind the general public only learned this was opening a month ago, with the NBC blitz--they'll need time to plan a vacation.

That said, Universal clearly overestimated the appeal of HE building 5-hour lines for it (and "re-ride" lines). I doubt that has anything to do with an upcharge factor, tho--75% of guests already can ride it. I just don't think it's that popular.

This goes back to something I said months ago--Potter may drive guest spending, but Transformers and Minions are driving attendance. Potter gets the super-fans, Transformers gets the general public. I know Disney/Lucas fanbois hate to hear it, but Star Wars Land will be much the same--never going to match Rock & Roller Coaster for sheer guest demand.

No question Diagon handles a crowd better than Hogsmeade, which helps. But it's also clear Universal misread the tea leaves somewhat. I've yet to see the outside switchbacks at Olivanders in use. I've walked through the owl rookery that serves as a line for Madame Milken's but it seems unnecessary. On the flip side, the ice cream shop wasn't built with nearly enough queue capacity--best plan I've seen is to switch the rookery around, and hope guests don't find the sight of owl guano too unappetizing.

Does nothing to change the fact Diagon is the most immersive land in Orlando, arguably the US. Just shows theme park guests can be a fickle bunch, hard to know what will suddenly appeal to them--or when they'll suddenly lose interest.
Better to have extra queue space and not need it than need it and not have it, but yeah there definitely should have been more space for the ice cream shop and maybe even Gringotts. But regarding King's Cross I think the huge queue adds to the immersion of being in a train station even if it won't probably ever be fully filled.

PrincessNelly_NJ

-It was actually listed under the Hogwarts Express on Universal's website that you would get one ride per day.

-And one week later, completely forgotten about(regarding the new Harry Potter short story).

If JK decided to write an 8th book, Potter would revive, until then it is popular but fading.
Your opinion is not a fact. What facts say that HP is not as popular at it was 4 years ago?

If you think it only takes one book to revive the franchise then you must know it is still popular.

71jason

-

It remains to be seen what effect the new books will have--same world, no Potter.

But again, number of guests isn't as important as how rabid they are. Consider, for example, Dr. Who. I imagine less than 5% of the population watches that show*. But I'd swear everyone who does owns at least 5 pieces of Dr Who related clothing. Compare with, oh, let's say Avatar. 50+% of the population forked over $15 to see that movie--but <0.1% of them own any merch based on it. Which would make a more profitable theme park land long-term?

* [It's for kids btw. We all know this, right?]

Mike S

I agree. But the long walk just feels silly in Hogsmeade Station.
Well, what are you gonna do. Universal was expecting HUGE crowds for this and based on last time it's hard to blame them. On the topic of Hogsmeade station can I just say how even more visibly intruding Dragon Challenge is now that you can see it from even more angles? It's just a little pet peeve of mine to have a huge honking coaster in the middle of an otherwise highly themed environment.
image.jpg
It sits on a lot of land as well, land that could be used for something more fitting like the Forbidden Forest.
image.jpg
Just my $0.02, I know it probably wouldn't be a popular decision. I just think after Diagon Alley they could work on plussing Hogsmeade since DA has outdone it completely.

SJN1279

It remains to be seen what effect the new books will have--same world, no Potter.

But again, number of guests isn't as important as how rabid they are. Consider, for example, Dr. Who. I imagine less than 5% of the population watches that show*. But I'd swear everyone who does owns at least 5 pieces of Dr Who related clothing. Compare with, oh, let's say Avatar. 50+% of the population forked over $15 to see that movie--but <0.1% of them own any merch based on it. Which would make a more profitable theme park land long-term?

* [It's for kids btw. We all know this, right?]

The new movies aren't going to be based on books. That said, I expect the new movies to do well, but not Potter well.

SJN1279

Your opinion is not a fact. What facts say that HP is not as popular at it was 4 years ago?

If you think it only takes one book to revive the franchise then you must know it is still popular.

I think Potter has the potential to be very popular again. She just needs to revive the series. Star Wars was still popular after 2006, but after 2015, I expect a huge surge.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I think Potter has the potential to be very popular again. She just needs to revive the series. Star Wars was still popular after 2006, but after 2015, I expect a huge surge.
Of course popularity peaks when things come out related to that franchise.
Star wars sees the same peaks when movies come out but it dies down. It is still very popular. Just because people aren't living and breathing it everyday doesn't mean it isn't popular.

PrincessNelly_NJ

I agree. But the long walk just feels silly in Hogsmeade Station.

I haven't walked it myself yet but long queues seem to be UNI's thing. I thought I was gonna need a bathroom break walking the Dragon Challenge queue line!

Well, what are you gonna do. Universal was expecting HUGE crowds for this and based on last time it's hard to blame them. On the topic of Hogsmeade station can I just say how even more visibly intruding Dragon Challenge is now that you can see it from even more angles? It's just a little pet peeve of mine to have a huge honking coaster in the middle of an otherwise highly themed environment.View attachment 59562 It sits on a lot of land as well, land that could be used for something more fitting like the Forbidden Forest.View attachment 59563 Just my $0.02, I know it probably wouldn't be a popular decision. I just think after Diagon Alley they could work on plussing Hogsmeade since DA has outdone it completely.
I wish they would have at least added some trees or something to even attempt to hide the Dragon Challenge.

SJN1279

I haven't walked it myself yet but long queues seem to be UNI's thing. I thought I was gonna need a bathroom break walking the Dragon Challenge queue line!

I wish they would have at least added some trees or something to even attempt to hide the Dragon Challenge.

I love the queue for Popeye, it is my favorite in the entire resort. I hate when CM's don't allow guests to walk it though.

cw1982

This.

I can't see them getting rid of the Dragon Challenge (unless its popularity has dwindled that much?), but why couldn't they do something about the view?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom