The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Goofyernmost

No, we didn't take it with us. She meant well - she grew up during the Depression so she knew how to pinch a penny. We still laugh about it now whenever we cook a frozen pizza.
I'd defy anyone to even find the manifold on their car now. I was telling the dealer the other day, that when I open up the hood of my car all I find is another hood. It does, however, get pretty warm under the hood so it might just work if you could find a way to make sure that it doesn't slide off when you stop. :hungry:

bhg469

The most expensive cable I can get here in Germany which includes some premium channels, but not Sky, but also internet and phone (with unlimited calls within all of Germany) is 70 € per month, so 95$ (including all taxes and fees). Of course, there aren't hundreds of channels because we just plain don't have that many. But you would get well over one hundred.
Those hundreds of channels are also not needed but they package them in a way where if you want one channel you have to get 25 more that you don't want.

Bolna

Thanks for all the info!! And there I thought it was ridiculously expensive here... But then I think I would be more tempted to pay that much if we would get the same quality of TV that you get (besides the non-quality that you get the same as us).

bhg469

I'd defy anyone to even find the manifold on their car now. I was telling the dealer the other day, that when I open up the hood of my car all I find is another hood. It does, however, get pretty warm under the hood so it might just work if you could find a way to make sure that it doesn't slide off when you stop. :hungry:
I had a wrx STI for a while and I was impressed how little "dress up" it had but that car was sort of a different case since it is a performance car that is often tinkered with. The manifold on that was bright red from the factory though :)

BernardandBianca

While Comcast is for sure to blame for that, channels like ESPN demanding more and more money are a problem as well.

The only way it's going to change is if people stop watching. Something I don't see happening any time soon.

There is a much easier solution - a la carte pricing. Then you'd only have to pay for what you want, and more importantly, wouldn't have to pay for things you never view.

PrincessNelly_NJ

There is a much easier solution - a la carte pricing. Then you'd only have to pay for what you want, and more importantly, wouldn't have to pay for things you never view.
Yeah doing so, either two things would happen...
1. The cable companies would lose massive amounts of money. Because if most people are like myself, I only watch about 10 - 15 channels of the 800 that I currently have.
2. Companies would figure out that they could charge whatever they want for their channel and prices would skyrocket!

bhg469

Yeah doing so, either two things would happen...
1. The cable companies would lose massive amounts of money. Because if most people are like myself, I only watch about 10 - 15 channels of the 800 that I currently have.
2. Companies would figure out that they could charge whatever they want for their channel and prices would skyrocket!
I always thought if they provided this service, they could easily get millions of subs that they lost to satellite. So many people dont bother with cable because of cost, a cheaper option would net them so many customers that they have priced out of their service.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
While Comcast is for sure to blame for that, channels like ESPN demanding more and more money are a problem as well.

The only way it's going to change is if people stop watching. Something I don't see happening any time soon.
We canceled cable years ago. Don't miss it one bit. We can still watch all our shows online and now we dont spend hours in front of the tv. Its given so much more time to enjoy other things in life. You dont realize how much you dont need cable until you gt rid of it.

doctornick

And cable would instantly shrink to maybe 10 channels.

Hyperbole, sure, but not far from the truth. If we switched to an a la carte model, a couple of things will happen:

1. a lot of networks would go out of business. Many of the "niche" channels depend on the business model of charging a lot of people a little bit each month to exist
2. channels that would survive (big ones like ESPN, TBS, Fox News, MSNBC, etc.) would end up charging each individual consumer more than they do currently. Be prepared to pay $20/mo for ESPN. Basically, everything becomes a premium channel.

So, the end result is that people would have a lot fewer channels and save a little on their bills. The upside is the system would be more flexible (potentially) in allowing customers to pick and choose their level of spending.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom