The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
It's the usually problem with single large multi-topic threads. People want to read certain subjects, but end up wading through 100 posts about comic books, or CNN broadcasts, or sandwiches - when in fact all they are looking for is news on the parks.

One thread per topic - and it can be kept on topic. 100 topics in a thread, and there is no hope of moderation. Choosing what to allow and delete is an impossible task, and a thankless one. If an off-topic post is left, there are complaints. If an off-topic post is removed, it is censorship and stifling important discussion. As a moderator it is an impossible situation to succeed in.

I realize that. And hope I am not keeping you up too late here!

My next thread (you know, the one that some folks feel I owe them ... and the one which will cover some news just based at WDW!) I am going to try and keep on one topic (perhaps, two, as one speaks to the other really) ... but no thread here stays much on any one topic after it hits a certain length. None.

And there's no getting around the fact that there will always be folks who jump in after 20 pages or 200 pages and want to know something etc.

I haven't reported one post on this thread because I don't feel there (in 560 pages) has been something so bad that it required it. Some stupidity. Sure. But something that was offensive or went so far beyond community standards? Nope. So I'd say a good job has largely been done by both posters and mods and ... that's it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Nemo

You have baited me and succeeded.

I do have an agenda.

This subject is one that really hits home for me for reasons I won't get into.

I use to read these forums for news good and bad and have a huge amount of respect for 74 and the way he is able to frame discussions as they relate to Disney.

Then this subject came up.

Im sure 74 is a good person and means well I'm sorry I questioned his intent but I am beyond frustrated with this conversation here.

The media exposing this or someone on a forum exposing this does almost nothing to protect children.

I can go into detail about what paths can be taken if you are truly interested in helping victims and/or prevention, just pm me.

I'm sorry I derailed this thread and will shut up now and go away.

If you have something important to say on this subject that you don't feel comfortable placing out here, send me a PM. I'm more than willing to listen to what you have to say and keep it private.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
My issue was again the fact that certain words are fine when uttered by others (and I am a grownup who believes that there are no 10-year-olds here ... they have better things to do and if they were here that a 'naughty' word wouldn't scar them for life), but I can't even get away with using the singular form of Lifestyler whores in a general sense.

You are mistaken. There are not different rules for what language is ok based on who posts it. You seem to forget that every post is not read and scanned for language and context. If we catch it, it is dealt with. If we don't see it, we rely on a user to report it. In this case nobody reported it.

mgpan

Wow Lee! If you say there's something there, everyone should listen. First Potter and now potentially this? I can only imagine the trekkies who would spend their last nickel on merchandise alone. Think Star Wars weekend is big for DHS? Use Loews on-site convention space and have a "fantasicon" week highlighting the different properties including Potter and this and you've got something.

NJBrandon

I've been impressed by the speed of UNI's recent construction, but (IMO) summer '15 sounds too soon for Kong given what it looks like right now. Fall/Thanksgiving/Christmas sounds like a more reasonable timeframe.

Yeah, I wouldn't bet on the summer either. Your timeframe sounds logical to me.

And UNI may have a new hotel up too before Pandora is done.

Kuzcotopia

No idea who the poster is, but I can tell you there are people that have read this forum for 10 years, and don't register. They know members here better than a lot of people here who post constantly. Then they decide to register and post. That's how it works.

*raises hand*

Lurker since 2007, finally registered in January-ish. Passive aggressive, OCS, Newbie. . . I can be labeled with "all the things." I post when I want to. I don't post when I don't want to. I even contradict myself in content and in tone.

I understand the real rules to avoid banning, etc. . . and I understand the culturally-mediated rules specific to this website that get broken by all the "newbies" . . . the ones that make people who have been posting for years to have melodramatic reactions. Who makes these rules exactly, and who gets to decide when THOSE are broken?

I know a small, familiar pool full of people we know makes us all feel like big, special fish. But the nicer and more welcoming we are to "newbies," the bigger the pond and the more value is ultimately added (even if that makes us less "special").

mgpan

Isn't he the CEO with the largest disparity between his salary and salary of front-line workers of his company?

Of course, as you realize, that's one reason why his peers voted him the "honor". They admire how one can not only cut, rightsize and value engineer so much but give shareholders great returns all the while making hundreds of times what those that actually make the magic happen receive.

lebeau

Disagree. Loved the first one. Liked most of the second.

Still, not close to the quality of the best of the original crew. And I feel the NextGen characters really got screwed because PAR went very cheap with most of their films, which largely played as extended TV episodes.

Star Trek needs a big budget. That's one reason why JJ's reboot was so successful. It didn't look or feel cheap.

Mostly agree. I liked the Abrams movies less than you apparently. His first was big, loud and dumb. But it moved fast enough that I at least found it entertaining. The second one was mostly the same, but it had some flaws that I could not overlook.

The Next Gen movies were definitely a wasted opportunity. Generations was basically a hatchet job to kill any remaining interest in the original crew. They made the best of a modest budget for First Contact which is arguably one of the top movies in the franchise. Insurrection is fine as a TV episode but not big enough to get movie treatment. And Nemesis makes a lot of the same mistakes as Into Darkness. It is actually my least favorite Trek of them all.

Definitely agree that Abrams' budget is a large part of his success. Although I don't think Star Trek necessarily needs a big budget. The first movie had a big budget and it was a snooze. Each of the sequels had their budgets slashed and a lot of them turned out pretty well. 2, 4 and 6 got a lot of mileage out of modest budgets.

PrincessNelly_NJ

If you can't discuss an international story about WDW on the No. 1 WDW-centric website's discussion boards, just what are we here for?

To cheer on everything Disney does? That's what the DPB and brand advocates like Lou Mongello are for.

No one is forcing you (or anyone) to discuss anything. Unless Steve is making everyone read this thread. If so, he can expect a demand for payment very soon!

Want to discuss it? Do it. Don't want to? Don't.

Just enough of the 'should we really be talking about this subject' because, frankly, there is no sane, unbiased reason for why this wouldn't be a major topic of discussion.
I think you are misunderstanding what I mean.
I don't mean that we shouldn't talk about it. What I'm saying is... If we want to do something about it, to change it, isn't there a better platform?
Us talking about it here just isn't enough to make a difference because not enough people will see it or do anything about.
You seem so passionate about this topic so let's find a way to do something to make a difference, let's find a way to actually do something.

Last edited:

Mike S

I've been impressed by the speed of UNI's recent construction, but (IMO) summer '15 sounds too soon for Kong given what it looks like right now. Fall/Thanksgiving/Christmas sounds like a more reasonable timeframe.
Remember that Transformers was built in 11 months. I think Kong could make summer if they work fast enough.

Mouse Trap

Star Trek to Uni? Wouldn't that only add to its identity crisis?

"Studio" parks now just seem to be used as a dumping ground to add just about anything that will bring guests. If only another certain "studios" would do the same dumping.... :rolleyes:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thanks.

Yes, I agree there was a bit of a re-rideability issue, but that was mostly due to how great the story line was the first time around. Best element of surprise by far that I've ever encountered in a themed attraction.

I liked the use of live actors.. and moving around on your own feet in small groups. That is what brings you 'into' it vs watching it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom