The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

the.dreamfinder

The problem, in my opinion, is not the non-competes. Its the fact that the reasoning behind all these is to keep wages fixed and low across the board. They are capitalizing on knowing that people won't leave because they know they wont do better anywhere else. The animators feel stuck.
I guess I shouldn't bring up the U word...

Hula Popper

And in Florida?

Sorry, wasn't paying close attention, thought the issue was raised in connection with Silicon Valley businesses.

I'm not familiar with Florida law, but did a quick search and it looks like Florida is similar to many other states where non-competes have to (1) be designed to protect a legit business interest and (2) be reasonably tailored to protect that business interest.

Legit interests include things like trade secrets, confidential business information, relationships with specific customers, specialized training, etc.

Being reasonably tailored means it has to be appropriately limited in time and geographic scope. That will depend on the type of industry, the interest being protected, etc.

Last edited:

doctornick

Imagination I hope, but probably just EO. Actually they all need some love. I'd be happy with any getting some.

Regarding Eo, I generally thought it was agreed that Eo was where the alleged "mystery project" for Epcot would be located. I wonder what ever happened to that.

I'd be happy to have something worthwhile go into that theater, but there's only so much that can be done in such a setup -- it's never going to be as interesting as a snazzy new ride.

truecoat

Sorry, wasn't paying close attention, thought the issue was raised in connection with Silicon Valley businesses.

I'm not familiar with Florida law, but did a quick search and it looks like Florida is similar to many other states where non-competes have to (1) be designed to protect a legit business interest and (2) be reasonably tailored to protect that business interest.

Legit interests include things like trade secrets, confidential business information, relationships with specific customers, specialized training, etc.

Being reasonably tailored means it has to be appropriately limited in time and geographic scope. That will depend on the type of industry, the interest being protected, etc.

Another item that helps enforcement of the non-compete is compensation for agreeing to it.

John

What's even scarier is that they actually reduced the price of the burger in the last year.

Sometimes the simplest things can make me laugh so hard.....

edit: What's so funny? Of everything that is overpriced, those nasty burgers are the thing they decide to lower the price on to get guest to buy them. You couldn't give me one.

Last edited:

Cody5242

Slow and steady wins the race?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=howtotrainyourdragon2.htm

how-to-train-your-dragon-2-trailer-07122013-112023.jpg
HTYD2 should be making way more than it is. It's tied for my favorite animated film. I guess waiting four years to release sequel isn't the best strategy

flynnibus

Premium Member
"Non-competes" are very common across many different industries. It's not all that difficult....

Contract and employment are state issues. Cali forbids noncompetes for employees. Checkout any top line google hit.. and browse to your heart's content. But the short of it is... no such enforcable non-competes in Cali for employees or contractors

flynnibus

Premium Member
And in Florida?

You find as a rule of thumb... businesses based in Cali won't try to enforce non-competes on employees even on operations based in other states. I don't know what Disney does internally, but my experience with large Cali-based companies is... they follow the mothership and don't try to monkey around state to state.

The Visionary Soul

Contract and employment are state issues. Cali forbids noncompetes for employees. Checkout any top line google hit.. and browse to your heart's content. But the short of it is... no such enforcable non-competes in Cali for employees or contractors
There are plenty of ways around that though. It's true that you can't have a non-compete agreement in California. But it's very easy to prove that someone is taking information (IP) to the new company, so it would be a breech of their original employment contract with the first company. And California is notorious for upholding the IP rights of companies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But it's very easy to prove that someone is taking information (IP) to the new company, so it would be a breech of their original employment contract with the first company. And California is notorious for upholding the IP rights of companies.

Very easy? Many of these cases about top level execs moving between companies (where it should be easy to say an exec knows many insider only things) still get thrown out and the people move. It's just not worth the legal effort... people only fight it when there are strategic reasons to try to block someone from being hired by the other company. No one is going to fight over a artist, writer, etc moving.

The Visionary Soul

Very easy? Many of these cases about top level execs moving between companies (where it should be easy to say an exec knows many insider only things) still get thrown out and the people move. It's just not worth the legal effort... people only fight it when there are strategic reasons to try to block someone from being hired by the other company. No one is going to fight over a artist, writer, etc moving.
Oh, absolutely! I'm not debating that at all. It's always about what's at stake. Employees are just like cards in a high stakes poker game.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom