The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Mickey_777

They never seemed too annoyed with Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

But FP+ wasn't around when that one debuted. I think some folks are going to be"spoiled" by FP+. Whether or not that translates to lots of families choosing WDW over Uni (or any other park) solely for the convenience remains to be seen but there's bound to be a few. This was Disney's whole play with MM+ to begin with wasn't it?

And I agree with Parentsof4 (and most on here) that Express pass and FP+ fatten up the lines unnecessarily. Is the common family thinking about that though? Like me, they just want to get to the front.

Last edited:

jakeman

I can prove costs savings. Ask any large store owner what their credit cards fees are. They have a small percentage and a flat fee for each charge. Then ask anyone who has used their magic band what shows up on their credit card bill. I get one charge a day when I stay at WDW. My charges are very high and at many locations at WDW. WDW sends me a daily email with all my chagres. They save money on me because I eat and drink my way around the world at both food and wine and flower and garden. So please do try and tell me Disney is not saving money. I can tell you there are thousands of people every day they save money on.

As for depreciation the faster the government will let you depreciate things the better it is for taxes. It has nothing to do with how long something will last. Allowing faster depreciation is an economic policy designed to increase investments.
Not to wade into this, but your credit card is only linked to your MB if you are staying on site and therefore functions as the KTTW cards did. There more than likely is no cost savings from moving folks from a system already in place to MB.

bhg469

Having waited an hour in Forbidden Journey's queue, I can honestly say that if they make Gringott's queue as entertaining, I won't mind the hour.

What you have to realize is that what creates the 2+ hour waits are the cursed preferred access lines, which take ride capacity away from some people and give it to others. Completely eliminate the FastPass+ line and Standby wait times would shrink!

One of the reasons Forbidden Journey rarely gets above an hour even in peak summer is exactly because it doesn't have an Express Pass line.

Meanwhile, over at Transformers ...
Exactly! Fast pass and express pass only made standby lines longer. FP+ made them even longer and waits where there never really was one. On my visits I rarely used fastpasses. I think I did for soarin, but I haven't ridden that in years because I can't stand the blurry screen.

Other than that maybe one per day otherwise.

I loved just going to relax and the only thing I planned in advance was dining and even that was silly.

Now if you don't plan very far ahead or if you go for the day, you're not going to have as good a time as you would in the past.

Jeffxz

I can prove costs savings. Ask any large store owner what their credit cards fees are. They have a small percentage and a flat fee for each charge. Then ask anyone who has used their magic band what shows up on their credit card bill. I get one charge a day when I stay at WDW. My charges are very high and at many locations at WDW. WDW sends me a daily email with all my chagres. They save money on me because I eat and drink my way around the world at both food and wine and flower and garden. So please do try and tell me Disney is not saving money. I can tell you there are thousands of people every day they save money on.

The Key to the World Card had the same capabilities as the magic bands when it comes to charging to your room. Please provide proof that more people are utilizing the magic bands then they were the KttW cards for your statement to be true.

Edit: @jakeman beat me to it.

seascape

The Key to the World Card had the same capabilities as the magic bands when it comes to charging to your room. Please provide proof that more people are utilizing the magic bands then they were the KttW cards for your statement to be true.

Edit: @jakeman beat me to it.
I never used to charge to my room until magic bands
I know others who feel the same way they didn't trust the old system but they do now.

lebeau

...The legendary Timothy Zahn, author of the Heir of the Emperor Star Wars trilogy of novels! I asked him how he feels about Disney producing the sequel trilogy.

He said he has trepidation about it and worried about "another Jar Jar Binks."

I told him not to worry and that it is in good hands with JJ Abrams directing it.

This didn't ease his trepidation and his facial expression showed doubt.

My respect for Zahn just went up 10-fold.

"In good hands" and "JJ Abrams" should not be used in the same sentence unless "not" is also in the mix.

Cesar R M

Is that accurate though?

If the DA $265 mill numbers and the 480ish for FLE are accurate, that suggests WDI has some major issues.
If true, it means they are trying to trim costs in the wrong areas.. they should be trimming at WDI not at the maintenance areas of both hotels and parks.

Cesar R M

Can't like this enough. So true.

And Disney repeated the blunder with The Rocketeer. Other studios piled on with The Phantom and The Shadow. Hollywood seemed to think if it was based on a comic strip, it was all interchangeable.
I really enjoyed the ROCKETEER, the phantom in the other hand.. was laughable.

WDWFanDave

Just can't take it anymore, I have to chime in too.

In theory, there are tremendous benefits that COULD result in increased revenue and profit performance at WDW with thoughtful and successful implementation of the MagicBand system. And, since I am far from being an insider, in fact I'm nothing more than a long-time visitor that is crazy enough to go back now and again, I'm not basing what I have to say on anything but my own opinions.

Want me to visit WDW and spend more time and money shopping? Want more money out of my wallet, period? Use the MBs to manage the logistical side of bus transportation. Install some readers (if you haven't already) at the bus stops at the resorts...and you'll be able to get people where they want to go in a shorter period of time. How about when guests are exiting the parks? Use those readers under the MK train station to proactively allocate buses based on the number of guests that are exiting, and whether or not they arrived by bus (for instance...I hate the buses so much that we've just stopped flying to WDW and instead drive so we can have the use of our car), and get people back to their resort. Maybe if you save enough of the guests time, they'll stop in the restaurants/food courts/gift shops, or even switch to the Downtown Disney bus and head out for more shopping and dining.

Another way to get me to spend more money...make the bands with better chips (or whatever they're called) in them...either a bit bigger, or heck, maybe even put them in multiple locations on the band. When we were there last year, I had to take the crazy thing off more often than not to get it to work well. Who knows, maybe I'm just not coordinated enough, but it was just so damned awkward. Of course, ours never actually worked for charging...and I guess since I spent a WHOLE LOT LESS than usual, I should be thankful. :) In any case, if we go back it'll be interesting to see if they are any better this time.

Now...all that being said...are you listening WDW?...if you REALLY want to get more of my money, then respond in some significant way to what's happening up the road. Go big or go home. For the first time ever, our next plan involves going to Universal. I've even become a fan of Kings' Dominion as of late, just cause it's closer to home, clean, fun, and affordable, but out of all of the big trips I've ever taken to vacation in or near theme parks, most have all been to go to WDW. Been going since 1978. More times than I can even count anymore. And I really love the place, love the memories that we've made, and love taking my DD there (of course, she is now their target demographic)...but, I want more. WDW keeps charging more, and I want more for that. In the absence of that, now our vacations will be split. And, let me tell you straight up, if Uni is as good as we think it might be, I could easily see our future trips bringing less and less time at WDW and more at the other parks around there.

Anyway, it seems to me that we're stuck with the pile of crap called MM+, MB, NGE, etc. It's not gonna go away...they have too much into it now financially, and unfortunately, investing in this kind of tech in a world where technology continues to become obsolete at a mind-numbing pace, is just poor decision making on their part. There's just no good way for them any longer to be able to afford to keep this beast running AND simultaneously invest large sums of cash into groundbreaking, awesome attractions. Well, at least that's my take on it. I agree with @ParentsOf4 that it'll be at least a year until we see if it's positively impacting revenue...but I bet until then we'll hear on those conference calls that Iger and Rasulo will continue to politely dodge the questions.

I think I either need a break from this until @WDW1974 decides to return, or I need to have a really strong drink. Maybe both!! Nah, I'll keep reading, as I still have plenty of popcorn handy. Just had to jump in with my two cents.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Yes, I definitely trust a wristband with a Mickey logo more than a hotel room key! Ay dios mio.
TheMonies-1.jpg

Cesar R M

Especially a rubber band that can fall off quite easily if pulled a certain way. Makes total sense to me!
well to be honest, a card can fall as easily from a pocket.
but those "magical" additions some people give the magicbands, are hilarious.

Just can't take it anymore, I have to chime in too.

In theory, there are tremendous benefits that COULD result in increased revenue and profit performance at WDW with thoughtful and successful implementation of the MagicBand system. And, since I am far from being an insider, in fact I'm nothing more than a long-time visitor that is crazy enough to go back now and again, I'm not basing what I have to say on anything but my own opinions.

Want me to visit WDW and spend more time and money shopping? Want more money out of my wallet, period? Use the MBs to manage the logistical side of bus transportation. Install some readers (if you haven't already) at the bus stops at the resorts...and you'll be able to get people where they want to go in a shorter period of time. How about when guests are exiting the parks? Use those readers under the MK train station to proactively allocate buses based on the number of guests that are exiting, and whether or not they arrived by bus (for instance...I hate the buses so much that we've just stopped flying to WDW and instead drive so we can have the use of our car), and get people back to their resort. Maybe if you save enough of the guests time, they'll stop in the restaurants/food courts/gift shops, or even switch to the Downtown Disney bus and head out for more shopping and dining.

Another way to get me to spend more money...make the bands with better chips (or whatever they're called) in them...either a bit bigger, or heck, maybe even put them in multiple locations on the band. When we were there last year, I had to take the crazy thing off more often than not to get it to work well. Who knows, maybe I'm just not coordinated enough, but it was just so damned awkward. Of course, ours never actually worked for charging...and I guess since I spent a WHOLE LOT LESS than usual, I should be thankful. :) In any case, if we go back it'll be interesting to see if they are any better this time.

Now...all that being said...are you listening WDW?...if you REALLY want to get more of my money, then respond in some significant way to what's happening up the road. Go big or go home. For the first time ever, our next plan involves going to Universal. I've even become a fan of Kings' Dominion as of late, just cause it's closer to home, clean, fun, and affordable, but out of all of the big trips I've ever taken to vacation in or near theme parks, most have all been to go to WDW. Been going since 1978. More times than I can even count anymore. And I really love the place, love the memories that we've made, and love taking my DD there (of course, she is now their target demographic)...but, I want more. WDW keeps charging more, and I want more for that. In the absence of that, now our vacations will be split. And, let me tell you straight up, if Uni is as good as we think it might be, I could easily see our future trips bringing less and less time at WDW and more at the other parks around there.

Anyway, it seems to me that we're stuck with the pile of crap called MM+, MB, NGE, etc. It's not gonna go away...they have too much into it now financially, and unfortunately, investing in this kind of tech in a world where technology continues to become obsolete at a mind-numbing pace, is just poor decision making on their part. There's just no good way for them any longer to be able to afford to keep this beast running AND simultaneously invest large sums of cash into groundbreaking, awesome attractions. Well, at least that's my take on it. I agree with @ParentsOf4 that it'll be at least a year until we see if it's positively impacting revenue...but I bet until then we'll hear on those conference calls that Iger and Rasulo will continue to politely dodge the questions.

I think I either need a break from this until @WDW1974 decides to return, or I need to have a really strong drink. Maybe both!! Nah, I'll keep reading, as I still have plenty of popcorn handy. Just had to jump in with my two cents.

agree with most of what you said.

with the magicbands reading at each butstop, they could know in advance how many buses are needed for transportation in each hotel and not rely on estimates by the bus drivers.
Same with the monorail.

seascape

So, people who didn't trust WDW to keep their information safe when they used cards to charge to their rooms now feel safer because the same procedure uses a rubber band instead?
I did not feel as safe and it has to do with the sale process not that the hotel would give out my info.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom