The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Im very interested to see how HP 2.0 's numbers effect Disney.

I'm hoping our watchdogs here will keep an eye on numbers and those of yall lucky enough to be on the ground keep an eye out for crowd levels (and parking, and hotels, because you are all awesome on that front). I'm kinda expecting opening day of 2.0 is be just as nuts as the photos show of 1.0.

Is anyone here planning on being there for the launch? @PhotoDave219 ...
I have no doubt that Universal will be packed this summer. I wouldn't even consider going for about 6 months but I'm hoping that those who do report back here. It will be interesting to see how crowded IOA is too. I think having the train stop there will help, but DL took a small dip when Carsland opened.

My prediction is the impact on Disney will likely be highly exaggerated here. Reports of attendance numbers that are way down, parks will be described as empty with low wait times for the season and of course reports of hotels running at 60% or less occupancy. Then Disney will release a 10Q and have an analyst call that will talk about record attendance and steady hotel occupancy that completely contradicts the story from the ground. Then we'll hear about how the execs are lying or manipulating the numbers or something along those lines. Just my prediction based on recent history and I think it will be worse this summer since there's a lot more hype. It would be in all of our best interest if WDW took a hit this summer, but I'm not confident it will be as big a hit as needed to move the needle or light a fire.

Mike S

I have no doubt that Universal will be packed this summer. I wouldn't even consider going for about 6 months but I'm hoping that those who do report back here. It will be interesting to see how crowded IOA is too. I think having the train stop there will help, but DL took a small dip when Carsland opened.

My prediction is the impact on Disney will likely be highly exaggerated here. Reports of attendance numbers that are way down, parks will be described as empty with low wait times for the season and of course reports of hotels running at 60% or less occupancy. Then Disney will release a 10Q and have an analyst call that will talk about record attendance and steady hotel occupancy that completely contradicts the story from the ground. Then we'll hear about how the execs are lying or manipulating the numbers or something along those lines. Just my prediction based on recent history and I think it will be worse this summer since there's a lot more hype. It would be in all of our best interest if WDW took a hit this summer, but I'm not confident it will be as big a hit as needed to move the needle or light a fire.
I'll definitely be reporting back here from the inside ;)

Mike S

Remember that crappy raptor at Animal Kingdom and the general issue of visible legs on those types of costumes? Here's Universal Singapore's take on the live raptor concept. Yeah it's in a box, but isn't that the more sensible thing for a raptor handler to do?

Hope that comes to IOA at some point. Knowing how Universal is investing in its parks it seems pretty likely in my mind.

Astro Blaster

Only reason I watched the Belmont is because the last USMNT tune-up game was at halftime
Nice to see Jozy get two right before the tournament.

To make this post WDW related...fans here will have to post about how Epcot is during the World Cup. I think it's a great idea to integrate the World Cup into World Showcase, especially considering so many of the countries are in it and will be going crazy (Mexico, Japan, Germany, Italy, England, USA, France).

pheneix

Damn. Met my friend with Uni in the hopes of him giving me a tour of the new Potter. He knew on Friday soft openings had been delayed but we decided to meet and have some fun anyway for a few hours.

If it weren't for a damned dragon wing (long story, but the dragon's left wing is the reason for the delay), I would have had complete access to the new area and a personal tour from a Uni exec. We both have plans every weekend for the next couple of months, so this was my only opportunity to get some one-on-one time with him for the foreseeable future.

Needless to say, the park hasn't ever looked better and Uni is out-classing Disney in every possible way. Their attraction and entertainment offerings are by far better than what Disney is offering right now. It's really sad. And, they know it. It's crazy to see a park with so many great entertainment offering when Disney has gotten rid of so many.

He said things like Kong, which he wouldn't confirm or deny (ha, ha), were expensive but not supposed to be huge attendance draws and were just a part of Uni's current philosophy to make the parks as good as they could possibly be – so completely opposite the philosophy of TDO. He also let me know of a couple of other things in the pipeline, but swore me to secrecy.

It was also my first time back in the Kidzone at US. It struck me as so insane that both IoA and US have such amazing kid's areas, yet the WDW parks, which are supposedly the "kid's parks", really have nothing even close to as good. Thankfully, according to him, both areas will be getting major upgrades and will finally get promoted the way they should in the near future.

I'm sure you already know this, but it sounds like you have a very wise friend over at UO. Listen to that friend often. Lot's of truth there. All around. :D

WDW1974

Original Poster
Not much time right now, but I wanted to pop in and thank those of you who have sent PMs and/or email my way regarding Disney and Compass Rose. While some of the info I had, some I absolutely did not and I appreciate all of it. Again, feel free to post anything here or send it privately ... whatever you prefer.

Also, I would ask that we please don't turn this into a total chatfest on things like why I asked a question, why you shouldn't take Ryanair (the Spirit Air, no affiliation with moi, of Europe) and Disney versus UNI: Chapter 7,897,504. Folks are reading and I don't want to distract them. Thanks.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Hmmmm...don't have the time or energy presently, but I do enjoy a good trip down the records search rabbit hole something like this typically entails. If you find the answer(s) your looking for before the middle of the week, do let us know. I'll likely do my own searching regardless, as these things are a natural curiosity for me, but just want to be sure I'm not hitting you with redundant information at a later date.

Much appreciated. I spent a chunk of today (when I wasn't trapped in my Target by pouring rain!) researching this and something possibly relating ...

But I'd rather get the same info from three people, then not get it from anyone since they are afraid I have it. Researching things like this is big part of one of the things I've done in my career. Still, you never know when someone has access to things you don't or just finds something hiding in plain sight that you overlooked or didn't think was important.

Now, it is break time ... and to watch the greatest show advocating torture, yep ... Jack is back ... on 24!

the.dreamfinder

Remember that crappy raptor at Animal Kingdom and the general issue of visible legs on those types of costumes? Here's Universal Singapore's take on the live raptor concept. Yeah it's in a box, but isn't that the more sensible thing for a raptor handler to do?

Or...
IMG_2496.jpg

Ignohippo

The opening of Potter 2.0 won't effect Disney in any noticeable way in the near future, however it's long term effects could be devastating.

Potter 2 (and the addition of Transformers last year) finally turns Universal Studios into a top tier park - something IMO it has never been - and makes Uni a complete "resort" with two must-do parks for the first time. A visit to Uni sadly now makes WDW look devastatingly out-of-date in comparisson.

The snowball has begun rolling and Disney has proven to be unwilling to put anything in its way. If Uni just makes a 3% reduction in WDW revenue each year for the foreseeable future, the effects will be devestating to the bottom line.

Ignohippo

I like Coke and Pepsi. I probably enjoy Pepsi a little more, but I really like the both of them. I can't imagine going to a Coke fan site and posting about how much better Pepsi is than Coke. If I felt that way, the intelligent move would be to read and post on Pepsi fan sites, and let the people on the Coke site (that want to discuss news and rumors about Coke), talk about Coke, right?

Except that if you're a fan of Coke, and they let their quality slip, you'll do what you can to make that opinion known with other like-minded people in the hopes that someone with the company will hear the opinions of so many and take action to get the quality back to where it should be.

If people didn't voice their opinions, we'd still be stuck with "NewCoke".

If we didn't care, we'd simply order a Pepsi and Coke would eventually cease to exist.

BrianLo

That's the parade... they also have this costumed version, which is without actors legs. Sad how truly apples to apples this comparison is.

I don't really understand Disney's "attempt". Perhaps the "test" was to see how badly they could troll the fan community. :p

It managed to scare the crap out of me when I was exploring a dead end.

14201959010_c395f99464_c.jpg

14387509784_87346be141_c.jpg

Edit: Sorry, this is USJ! USS only has the raptor in a box that I know of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom