The Spirited Back Nine ...

Next Big Thing

The Los Angeles area itself has 15 million people living in it, that alone explains why Disney would want rail systems going into Anaheim.
In Orlando Disney runs a massive hotel and entertainment empire and it makes no sense for them to allow people to just step on a train and be at competing entertainment venues and cheaper hotels.
This is exactly what I was trying to say a oage or two back.

lazyboy97o

I think the cast members who live in Lakeland and Tampa would say otherwise.
How many Cast Members live in Lakeland and Tampa? How many can afford a $60/day commute?

The Los Angeles area itself has 15 million people living in it, that alone explains why Disney would want rail systems going into Anaheim.
In Orlando Disney runs a massive hotel and entertainment empire and it makes no sense for them to allow people to just step on a train and be at competing entertainment venues and cheaper hotels.
And yet one can rent a car at Walt Disney World or easily grab a taxi. The price difference is also so great now between on and off property accommodations that there is little risk of losing people, as those staying at Disney accommodations are rather financially committed to staying at Walt Disney World.

roj2323

How many Cast Members live in Lakeland and Tampa? How many can afford a $60/day commute?

And yet one can rent a car at Walt Disney World or easily grab a taxi. The price difference is also so great now between on and off property accommodations that there is little risk of losing people, as those staying at Disney accommodations are rather financially committed to staying at Walt Disney World.
How do you figure $60?

roj2323

Promises made regarding what tickets for the high speed rail would run plus actual costs for tickets on existing lines. No hourly employee can afford to take a high speed train every day to work.
while I certainly agree I thought the tampa to orlando leg was going to be operated as a commuter line and the orlando (Kissimmee really) to Miami line was going to be run similar to Amtrak.

lazyboy97o

while I certainly agree I thought the tampa to orlando leg was going to be operated as a commuter line and the orlando (Kissimmee really) to Miami line was going to be run similar to Amtrak.
There were lots of promises of low ticket prices and high frequencies of service, all of which were above and beyond the busiest lines in the world. Even if the trains ran as often as promised, cost is still a huge issue for would be commuters. Even if there were subsidies for commuters, how many people really live that far out? Tampa-Orlando is just not a heavily trafficked corridor.

TP2000

Tampa-Orlando had only four stations; downtown Tampa, Lakeland, WDW, and Orlando Intl. Airport. Governor Scott, when he was for the plan, stated publicly that one-way tickets between Tampa and Orlando would be "30 Dollars" each way. That price was considered unrealistically cheap and just politician babble to build support. The actual ticket cost would have been much higher each way, and the railroad would still need massive public subsidies each year to keep operating. That's how those things go.

As if the cost for a ticket versus driving a car weren't prohibitive enough, even when gas was $4.00 a gallon a few years ago, the actual travel time didn't save anyone much time. The "High Speed" part wasn't that impressive.

Convention Center - Orlando Airport = 11 Miles, 21 minutes by Car in congestion, 11 minutes by Train
Disney – Orlando Airport = 19 Miles, 34 minutes by Car in congestion, 21 minutes by Train
Downtown Tampa – Orlando Airport = 84 Miles, 1 hour 31 minutes by Car in congestion, 1 hour 4 minutes by Train
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_high_speed_rail

That's not including the extra time needed at each ends of the train journey to park at the station, get tickets, check baggage or wait for 15 minutes, exit station, and get transportation from station to an actual final destination. A car stuck in congestion at rush hour would get its passengers to the final destination (likely a hotel lobby or WDW parking lot) faster and cheaper, and many folks would also consider the car journey easier.

Florida HSR just didn't pencil out for anyone, really.

roj2323

There were lots of promises of low ticket prices and high frequencies of service, all of which were above and beyond the busiest lines in the world. Even if the trains ran as often as promised, cost is still a huge issue for would be commuters. Even if there were subsidies for commuters, how many people really live that far out? Tampa-Orlando is just not a heavily trafficked corridor.
You obviously don't live down here. The Tampa - orlando I-4 corridor has a ton of traffic and the "rush hour" backups eat up tons of time. Exit 7 to 14 eastbound, exit 67 to 58 westbound. Additionally there are lots of accidents and since there is no real alternative route between the two cities it can get a little crazy when they shut down the road for a fatality which happens at least once a month.

TP2000

As I mentioned, it would only be worth it if the drive itself (or owning a car) was so horrible or expensive that it was worth paying a premium to avoid it - and that isn't the case - yet. And may never be the case. It is impossible to predict. But it is possible to predict that any sort of rail would have yearly costs that will exceed the revenue generated.

I think the concept of owning a personal vehicle that can take you anywhere you want, whenever you want, is too attractive to go away. At least until we invent Star Trek style transporter beams. Cars 30 years from now may not run on gasoline; they may run on Natural Gas, or Hydrogen Fuel Cells, or electric batteries, or any combination of those fuels. But cars will still be here, and families will still be loading into them for trips to Disney World.

The only thing that will stop that is fuel that is horrifically expensive, like the $70.00 per gallon scenarios I mentioned earlier that are required to finally make Amtrak's Silver Star competitive with a newer Chevy Malibu for a family of four.

But when you get to the point that gas (or whatever fuel is required) is $70.00 per gallon, the economy and society would have ground to such a cataclysmic halt that the least of our worries would be WDW, if the parks were even still in operation at that point. (The real societal emergency would kick in around $25.00 per gallon, I'd imagine, and the parks would be closing shortly after that.)

In the meantime, it's great news that a family of four in Tampa can climb into a very safe and efficient new Chevy Malibu and drive the entire family round trip to WDW for about $25.00. Long distance travel has never been cheaper, or safer, or more pleasant for Americans. And it seems to get safer every year, too.

lazyboy97o

You obviously don't live down here. The Tampa - orlando I-4 corridor has a ton of traffic and the "rush hour" backups eat up tons of time. Exit 7 to 14 eastbound, exit 67 to 58 westbound. Additionally there are lots of accidents and since there is no real alternative route between the two cities it can get a little crazy when they shut down the road for a fatality which happens at least once a month.
When compared to the only two consistently profitable high speed routes, Lyon-Paris and Osaka-Tokyo, Tampa-Orlando is nothing. There is not even regular air service between the two cities, something you do see available along other high speed rail corridors. The problems are more an over emphasis on highways, not the pure volume necessary to support rail, much less high speed rail. There may be plenty of people annoyed at delays that get high in terms of time, but the actual numbers are nothing compared to areas where rail is a real and useful component of the transit infrastructure.

TP2000

When compared to the only two consistently profitable high speed routes, Lyon-Paris and Osaka-Tokyo, Tampa-Orlando is nothing. There is not even regular air service between the two cities, something you do see available along other high speed rail corridors.

BINGO!

We'd talked about this four years ago when HSR was last being discussed here, but there is no current demand for mass travel between Orlando and Tampa. Tokyo to Osaka currently has 58 scheduled flights per day on a half dozen airlines. Several of those flights are even on large jumbo jets configured as air shuttles in a high density seating plan for that very short flight.

There's not a single scheduled airline flight per day between Tampa and Orlando. Not even a small regional carrier like a UnitedExpress or American Eagle flight in a small plane. There's just no inter-city travel market there at all. Nothing.

The current Tampa Union Station, a modest but very charming little station, served about 20,000 train passengers last year as the terminus of Amtrak's Silver Star service up the Eastern Seaboard.

Tampa Union Station - Serving 2 Trains Per Day In 2015
tampasightsunionstation11.jpg

For a Disney and HSR reference, Anaheim's old train station served 330,000 train passengers last year, before the move three weeks ago to the dramatically larger ARTIC station nearby.

Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center (ARTIC) - Serving 54 Trains Per Day in 2015
IMG_5740_ARTIC.jpg

But if Anaheim and SoCal can't even get HSR to pencil out, or show up on the horizon at any time in the next 20 years, then how the heck did Tallahassee expect a HSR system to pencil out for Tampa-Orlando??? I think the icy reception from Orlando-based Disney execs a decade ago had more to it than not making things easier for Universal and Sea World.

roj2323

When compared to the only two consistently profitable high speed routes, Lyon-Paris and Osaka-Tokyo, Tampa-Orlando is nothing. There is not even regular air service between the two cities, something you do see available along other high speed rail corridors. The problems are more an over emphasis on highways, not the pure volume necessary to support rail, much less high speed rail. There may be plenty of people annoyed at delays that get high in terms of time, but the actual numbers are nothing compared to areas where rail is a real and useful component of the transit infrastructure.

I was much more interested in a normal under 100mph service between the cities with stops in the major towns along the way much like Chicago's Metra system. (sunrail?) The train is more about connivence than speed. Right now for example it would take 4+ hours to get to WDW from Lakeland via bus. This is being addressed now but not having to own a car would be a great opportunity to save money for some in this area.

lazyboy97o

I was much more interested in a normal under 100mph service between the cities with stops in the major towns along the way much like Chicago's Metra system. (sunrail?) The train is more about connivence than speed. Right now for example it would take 4+ hours to get to WDW from Lakeland via bus. This is being addressed now but not having to own a car would be a great opportunity to save money for some in this area.
I think that you would find that many of us who think the high speed rail project was a dumb idea would agree with upgrading the rail connection with conventional rail that could easily make very similar trip times.

The Mom

Premium Member
Most of the US cities that have efficient public transit systems had a dense population using the core system before the individual automobile became the norm - think NYC, Boston, Chicago. They are also cities that had enough riders so that rails (including subways) could be expanded from the core as the population expanded further from the center in a widening pattern around an existing core. But these are not areas where there was a small somewhat dense population - think Orlando, Atlanta, Tampa - with little density around the core - until the personal automobile and Southern migration beginning post WWII. And then the population grew in pockets far from the center (in public transportation terms), with lots of room. So multiple spurs would have to be built going in various directions.

And this would assume that everyone living in those areas is going into a central downtown area to work - which is not true for most of these areas. Businesses moved away from the downtown areas to office parks, etc where the costs were less and there is room for expansion. So employees need to drive there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom