The Spirited Back Nine ...

lazyboy97o

Most of the US cities that have efficient public transit systems had a dense population using the core system before the individual automobile became the norm - think NYC, Boston, Chicago. They are also cities that had enough riders so that rails (including subways) could be expanded from the core as the population expanded further from the center in a widening pattern around an existing core. But these are not areas where there was a small somewhat dense population - think Orlando, Atlanta, Tampa - with little density around the core - until the personal automobile and Southern migration beginning post WWII. And then the population grew in pockets far from the center (in public transportation terms), with lots of room. So multiple spurs would have to be built going in various directions.

And this would assume that everyone living in those areas is going into a central downtown area to work - which is not true for most of these areas. Businesses moved away from the downtown areas to office parks, etc where the costs were less and there is room for expansion. So employees need to drive there.
A lot of the areas where there is a large density concentration have geographical features that contain the urban core. Manhattan is an island. San Fransisco is a peninsula with big hills on the remaining side. The Piedmont of Georgia or the swamps of Central Florida are big, wide open spaces. We're only just now starting to realize the huge, hidden, long term costs of building out and the long term benefits and cost savings of building up.

TP2000

Looks like Jennifer Fickley-Baker got a new glamour shot for her headshot on the Disney Parks Blog.

She's finally ditched the College Girl wash-n-go hair for a real career woman hairdo. Except the career women she's channeling appear to be Charlie's Angels. :D

Her new Celebration Place Blog headshot reminds me of a blonde version of Jaclyn Smith circa '77. Not a bad choice, just interesting.

Jaclyn-Smith-charlies-angels-tv-13114510-479-480.jpg

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Also, God bless @marni1971!

Yet another spectacular Tribute Film by @marni1971. Great job Martin. As I watched that, even though I have seen that show dozens of time, all I could think about were those threads on places to "nap" and when they say American Adventure it almost makes me cry.

How can anyone go in that pavilion and not, if nothing else, be awestruck by the shear creativity and engineering that was required to make that attraction what it is. I would be willing to say that I probably sit there with my mouth open during the entire thing, just marveling about how they make it work as well as the story. It was a mix of accomplishments and balanced out by our weaknesses as well. Thanks for this Martin. Someday this attraction will just be another empty building, but, hopefully your efforts will last forever.

Last edited:

Mike S

Yet another spectacular Tribute Film by @marni1971. Great job Martin. As I watched that, even though I have seen it dozens of time, all I could think about where those threads on places to "nap" and when they say American Adventure it almost makes me cry.

How can anyone go in that pavilion and not, if nothing else, be awestruck by the shear creativity and engineering that was required to make that attraction what it is. I would be willing to say that I probably sit there with my mouth open during the entire thing, just marveling about how they make it work as well as the story. It was a mix of accomplishments and balanced out by our weaknesses as well. Thanks for this Martin. Someday this attraction will just be another empty building, but, hopefully your efforts will last forever.
I just hope it's never toonified to make it more "appealing." American Adventure is a great remnant of old EPCOT. Possibly my favorite show in WDW.

Last edited:

Tigger1988

A very funny (quite a testament to the writers that it's still this good) Simpsons last night, with a trip to "Dizzneeland" and a few good jokes about the Lucasfilm purchase.

View attachment 78661 View attachment 78662
Honestly the jokes were dated and done before (according to Al Jean the episode was written 2 years ago - it shows). The rest of the episode was god awful, however. Kang and Kodos in a non Halloween episode?

bhg469

Yet another spectacular Tribute Film by @marni1971. Great job Martin. As I watched that, even though I have seen it dozens of time, all I could think about where those threads on places to "nap" and when they say American Adventure it almost makes me cry.

Meh! Needs moar olaf!!!

Jk of course

Kman101

I'm sure we get plenty of Olaf in Froze-strom ;) With hearing Olaf sliding down a snow hill I have a dreaded feeling it's another "Where's Olaf" "Where's Nemo" "Where's Donald" .... the latter two could be solid if not for that. And for Froze-strom, we'll have to wait and see on whether or not it's a "Where's Olaf?" ride. That being said, I like Olaf but Froze-strom will always make my head shake in disappointment. Frozen actually deserves better than being shoe-horned into Maelstrom, but I guess we've beaten that subject to death ...

bhg469

I'm sure we get plenty of Olaf in Froze-strom ;) With hearing Olaf sliding down a snow hill I have a dreaded feeling it's another "Where's Olaf" "Where's Nemo" "Where's Donald" .... the latter two could be solid if not for that. And for Froze-strom, we'll have to wait and see on whether or not it's a "Where's Olaf?" ride. That being said, I like Olaf but Froze-strom will always make my head shake in disappointment. Frozen actually deserves better than being shoe-horned into Maelstrom, but I guess we've beaten that subject to death ...
I'm completely indifferent about the movie but I will argue until I'm blue in the face against anyone who thinks that was a good idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom