The Spirited Back Nine ...

Soarin' Over Pgh

To make you wish you were at a disney park, any park, today: the northeast freezing rain storm is no joke, guys. PA, NY, NJ, MA, please be careful out there. I was on my way to open the coffeehouse and didn't make it up the hill right off my street...car slid back wards, then sideways. Hit retaining wall pulling into driveway. Freezing rain is no joke. Be careful out there. Currently in pittsburgh, but it's headed towards ny and nj next.

I'll take the lame DHS over this any day. :(

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
To make you wish you were at a disney park, any park, today: the northeast freezing rain storm is no joke, guys. PA, NY, NJ, MA, please be careful out there. I was on my way to open the coffeehouse and didn't make it up the hill right off my street...car slid back wards, then sideways. Hit retaining wall pulling into driveway. Freezing rain is no joke. Be careful out there. Currently in pittsburgh, but it's headed towards ny and nj next.

It's on its way to make a miserable week end up here, Just spent a couple of hours with the chainsaw cutting up deadfall from the last icy mess up here and cutting down things that were not likely to survive the next bout of ice

lazyboy97o

'Light' rail is not about distance it specifically refers to trains which run on dedicated passenger only lines, The trainsets are significantly lighter than 'normal' passenger trainsets because they do not need to be designed to resist a crash with freight equipment.
That is not true at all. The "light" in light rail refers to passenger loads and is vehicles more like streetcars. By your definition the New York Subway, SunRail, or even most high speed trains are light rail but they are all definitely heavy rail.

bhg469

Ugh, sounds miserable. Ice and a very hilly Pittsburgh sounds like a headache.

Zac Skellington

ballzy for that flight, what a way to lose an expensive drone and camera... into the lake she goes/
True. But the beauty of the thing is to get those shots.
Sadly, this punk is flying over people and bad things will happen. I'd like to buy a drone one day, but I fear it's uses will be limited due to regulations brought on by dopes like this kid.

BrerJon

I'm refusing to watch because every view count just encourages this kind of stupidity. And yes the DERP is asking for trouble of the FEDERAL kind, The guys with cheap suits, Ray Ban's and NO SENSE OF HUMOR.

What's the problem with people doing this? The drones aren't like large aircraft, just small microcopters, not high enough to interfere with real aircraft and too small to do much damage if they crashed. I think the footage they're getting looks great.

Bolna

What's the problem with people doing this? The drones aren't like large aircraft, just small microcopters, not high enough to interfere with real aircraft and too small to do much damage if they crashed. I think the footage they're getting looks great.

On the cruise board @GMRO posted a good explanation why this is dangerous when someone linked to a video shot by a drone of the Fantasy and Castaway Cay:

Actually nothing good will come of this. The person who “stowed away” this model did not have permission nor insurance if anything went wrong to fly such a radio controlled model. It shows a total lack of responsibility of a person who has about $1000.00 to spend on a credit card who THINKS they I’ll get some airborne video on a private/commercial island built by Disney.

I’ve been in the R/C Industry/Sponsored Pilot and developer for the past 28 years. Over the past 2 to 3 years as we develop more items to allow a model to seeming fly almost by themselves more folks who do not understand the liability and responsibility of flying R/C models, be them QUADS; MULTIROTORS; HELICOPTERS etc, get into the hobby and RISK things they don’t understand or know anything about, i.e. doing exactly THIS. It is very concerning to folks like me who see constant postings of aerial videos on social media and etc like this. They fly over schools, busy highways, churches, and in populated neighborhoods. I’m not worried about big brother…or personal privacy…I’m more worried about the failure rate of these toys with their fly-away potential or even more the persons skill set and orientation ability as they fly in an unfamiliar area. These are toys with consumer grade components. They are not military quality by any means. And they are also mislabeled “DRONES” by the media who know even less about them. It takes a lot of things to work right for controlled flight. BUT it only takes 1 thing to fall out of harmony to cause flight failure and loss of control - no matter how GOOD a pilot you are. GRAVITY wins all the time at that point. “Murphy” is always around and can strike at any time for any reason and the result is always an uncontrolled crash.

All of these types of items are flying models with the potential of doing damage to persons if hit or property damage as well. That is why there are CLUBS with airfields to fly ALL R/C. It’s in a designated areas and not to be done in a crowded neighborhoods - because these things "fly-themselves". Are they easy to fly? SURE. BUT do good times go bad often? YES. Anyone ever see an R/C model fly thru a mini-van windshield on the highway at 60MPH+? Ever see the battery that powers these models…the electric motors on them… ignite and see the fire it produces? It’s over 1000 degrees and it needs NOTHING to kindle or ignite it. And it will melt and BURN everything in its path until it goes out. GOOGLE LI-PO fire and watch the video postings. Folks have lost cars, trailers and had house fires from Li-PO charging accidents. AND some are folks who actually knew what they were doing. The batteries are Lithium Polymer, LI-PO, cells. A lot bigger than your cell phone battery and if they go off from abuse or misuse or a crash/damage from another flight gone bad…its real bad when they go off. Normal fire extinguishers won’t put it out…only CLASS-D or sand suffocating it will. Think of that in a DCL stateroom going off.

Still impressed with the video?

Do don’t go to this persons “facepage” or YouTube channel and LIKE it or applaud this activity by any means. This was a huge RISK the person took and it shows a total lack of responsibility and understanding of liabilities when flying such models. Stowing away the model onboard with potential risk of battery failure/charging and fire on the ship as well as flying it around in an area NOT deemed or approved for R/C flying puts safety at risk for everyone. I don’t want to see this on one of my DCL trips. UNLESS it’s being conducted for Disney by Disney. This was not.

This is the beginning of bad things IF more fools attempt the same type of activity for their home movies.

Would I like the opportunity to fly and record airborne video at the Disney properties? YES. Will I try it on my own less any authorization/approval? NO WAY! I know better. The vantage points and perspective of these types of videos are very neat but the cause can’t justify the means and risk factor at all.

Point is many are now getting into flying such R/C models since they are VERY easy when all goes well. They have GPS, self leveling and other things to keep the model stable. IF all goes well and the onboard controller is functioning correctly that is. Unfortunately the folks buying these items lack good judgment to know where and when it’s safe to fly. Humidity and other factors in the air affect all efficiencies of flight. Hotter it is and muggy the more the craft struggles to fly and uses more battery power. AND these folks have no clue on what to look for and plan for WHEN things go wrong as well. Again when it’s out of control a crash is always the result. Where it crashes…well that’s up to fate.

YES – LI-PO’s are serious. Chargers can malfunction and the batteries can ignite and they BURN HOT. They can go OFF for over use, abuse or just because they are cheaply made and lack quality when they are assembled. They are NOT a ticking bomb but they must be respected. I’ve been flying and testing LI-PO’s for 10 years. Never had an issue but I WATCH them constantly. I fly a LOT of electric powered models that use these packs. Even airlines have restrictions in the size of the batteries you can take on an airplane. When you ship or purchase these batteries they must be NOTED they are LI-PO’s too and some sizes cannot be shipped. So NO I don’t want these packed in my checked baggage and THROWN around per possible damage.

Do all "drones" use these LI-PO's? YES! If the model is electric powered, these are, they are using LI-PO batteries. Different sizes but still LI-PO's. We could not fly anything like these models without them. Older standard batteries, Ni-Cad and Nickle Metal/NIHM, do not deliver enough high power or current plus they weight too much to fly. The evolution of LI-PO batteries has revolutionized R/C flight. And recently power tools at Home Depot and Lowe's etc are beginning to use them tool. More RUN time and more power at a higher cost.

I don’t want these products on my DCL voyage period. IF the person knew better they would not have tried such a stunt. It was selfish and irresponsible. Don’t ever think, “what could go wrong”? The list is endless…

And most of these crafts…the one that made this video too…can carry enough to do damage should someone have malicious thoughts and want to harm folks by carrying some form of toxin or explosive be it solid or fluid base with some form of video down link to see where you are flying thru FPV goggles so you can fly farther than the eye can see the model. They can be used as a weapon of sorts. Any R/C model can be but again since these multirotors have a lot more sophistication in them to self level and almost require no training to get airborne vs. an R/C Helicopter and don’t require any landing strip like an R/C plane would they are very attractive.

I wondered how long it would take for someone to get the “bright idea” to try this while on a DCL cruise. Guess now I know…

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
True. But the beauty of the thing is to get those shots.
Sadly, this punk is flying over people and bad things will happen. I'd like to buy a drone one day, but I fear it's uses will be limited due to regulations brought on by dopes like this kid.

Frankly I'm more worried about a police drone, Those things are HEAVY on the order of 10-50 pounds along with a gallon or so of Av Gas or Nitromethane as fuel and those are flown over crowds all the time.

It's only a matter of time before operator error drops one of those into a crowd or into a plane or helicopter bringing it down or killing and maiming unsuspecting members of the public.

There is a reason the military uses flight qualified officers in their drone program.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Two things

1 Momentum = mass x velocity, If you have one of these thing fail at 1-2000 feet and start to fall it will KILL whoever it hits.

EDIT

2 = Lithium Polymer batteries, These things will catch fire if you abuse them in ANY way, I have a helicopter drone (that flies like the real thing as it has cyclic and collective controls (throttle linked), It's batteries are stored/charged OUTDOOR's in a little fireproof vault. Because when a Li-Po battery fails it cannot be put out by any means except burying it in dirt/sand or a class D extinguisher ($500 and up from a safety company).

If you crash hard enough the battery WILL catch fire and it cannot be put out by conventional means.

Last edited:

asianway

Two things

1 Momentum = mass x velocity squared, If you have one of these thing fail at 1-2000 feet and start to fall it will KILL whoever it hits.

2 = Lithium Polymer batteries, These things will catch fire if you abuse them in ANY way, I have a helicopter drone (that flies like the real thing as it has cyclic and collective controls (throttle linked), It's batteries are stored/charged OUTDOOR's in a little fireproof vault. Because when a Li-Po battery fails it cannot be put out by any means except burying it in dirt/sand or a class D extinguisher ($500 and up from a safety company).

If you crash hard enough the battery WILL catch fire and it cannot be put out by conventional means.
Sounds like these drone flyovers are the latest attempt by the mentally ill to gain attention

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Two things

1 Momentum = mass x velocity squared, If you have one of these thing fail at 1-2000 feet and start to fall it will KILL whoever it hits.

When I was a kid we had balsa wood planes that used rubber bands to propel them. They couldn't carry a video camera, but they never caught on fire;)

image.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom