The Spirited Back Nine ...

Rodan75

Iger the Acquirer's puff piece in Fortune is up.
http://fortune.com/2014/12/29/disney-ceo-bob-iger-empire-of-tech
It's what you would expect, but there were some interesting bits.
  • Someone let it slip to Fortune that Interactive may be absorbed by Consumer Products this year
  • Shanghai Disneyland is still "on track" for a late 2015 opening even though we know they'll be lucky to make the first half of 2016
  • "ILM is advising Pixar on how to animate lifelike tusks for a project currently in development"
  • Under a graphic titled "Iger's Biggest Bets" NextGen is listed as having cost $1.56 Billion, but that amount is broken into two (EDIT: it appears the author may have made a typo and meant to say TWDC spent $563 Million on Playdom)
  • Disney claims MagicBands cannot track individual guests, only then to bring up the trackers used by the wait staff at BoG to locate guests
  • Staggs spouts a Waltism

Good catch on the smaller 'bet' being Playdom and not Magic Bands separated into 2. They should have gone into a bit more detail on the Playdom debacle. Curious that Iger was okay with MDE being classified as 'Magic Bands' or maybe that was a way to break out the 'bet' so that it didn't hit the magical $2B+ number folks like to discuss(Gotta keep the conspiracy alive).

I honestly thought it was a good piece. It was obviously meant to flatter Iger, but wasn't over the top and did hit on some small negative items.

I think he still has another two years before he has to name a COO/Successor. Viacom and Fox are getting very little flack for not having clear succession plans and they are both in much worse positions than Disney.

Sped2424

Now at Universal Japan, you can get in the Eva

Can easily see them going this route for Pacific Rim here in the west.

Also in the teaser was attack on titan and several others, is this going to be a real attraction or an overlay or just a 4d film?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That's funny because I'm sure that I have seen on one of the Disney boards a report by a family that they were able to use the tracking system to find their lost child. It took only minutes to do instead of a massive search.

It amazing how .44B becomes a number the is casually called "pretty close". :happy:
Who knows. It's possible they did use the magic bands to find the kid in the post that you read but it's more likely that they used the system that was already in place. Kids have been getting lost at WDW for over 40 years and they have always been found without magic bands. They have an army of CMs to help find lost kids. Don't get me wrong, I actually think they should use the technology that way, but they are not according to the article posted. I guess the vocal tinfoil hat crew made enough noise to discourage it. They even got attacked by a Senator at one point for things related to tracking kids. It's too bad because the technology would help families in a very scary situation but political agendas and paranoia get in the way of common sense.

Considering the original budget for MM+ was rumored to be $800M and we had people here throwing out numbers like $3B and $4B for actual spend being off only $400M would be "pretty close". However, the original post was edited and apparently the author made a typo. The MM+ number is really still only $1B compared to at least $2B which is the current rumored cost around here.

Cosmic Commando

how about those WDW churros? ;)
Don't pay Disney's ridiculous prices... it's the same thing as sprinkling cinnamon and sugar on a slice of Wonder Bread. ;)

Sorry, one more taco post: my mother-in-law is the pickiest eater I have ever met. She won't eat Chinese, Mexican, Indian, fish, or anything spicier than an apple. We finally got her to try some homemade tacos (with ground beef, sorry). What did she end up liking? Plain ground beef on a tortilla with ketchup-- that's her "taco".

Bairstow

Also in the teaser was attack on titan and several others, is this going to be a real attraction or an overlay or just a 4d film?

From what I've been able to gather, it's going into the "4D" theater previously used for Terminator 3D.
The Attack on Titan thing is also a 4D movie... I think. Perhaps they're going to have them alternate in the same theater? I can't get solid info on that.
Maybe Attack on Titan is seasonal and Evangelion is meant to be the semi-permanent T2 replacement...

Biohazard the Real, on the other hand, is an interactive haunted house, but is only open seasonally.

Goofyernmost

Who knows. It's possible they did use the magic bands to find the kid in the post that you read but it's more likely that they used the system that was already in place. Kids have been getting lost at WDW for over 40 years and they have always been found without magic bands. They have an army of CMs to help find lost kids. Don't get me wrong, I actually think they should use the technology that way, but they are not according to the article posted. I guess the vocal tinfoil hat crew made enough noise to discourage it. They even got attacked by a Senator at one point for things related to tracking kids. It's too bad because the technology would help families in a very scary situation but political agendas and paranoia get in the way of common sense.

Considering the original budget for MM+ was rumored to be $800M and we had people here throwing out numbers like $3B and $4B for actual spend being off only $400M would be "pretty close". However, the original post was edited and apparently the author made a typo. The MM+ number is really still only $1B compared to at least $2B which is the current rumored cost around here.
Yea, the tin hats are there to save us from the evil empires. Oh, well. Maybe they are right, but, since we live in this technological world, someone is going to be tracking them. I'd prefer it be Disney.

Quinnmac000

From what I've been able to gather, it's going into the "4D" theater previously used for Terminator 3D.
The Attack on Titan thing is also a 4D movie... I think. Perhaps they're going to have them alternate in the same theater? I can't get solid info on that.
Maybe Attack on Titan is seasonal and Evangelion is meant to be the semi-permanent T2 replacement...

Biohazard the Real, on the other hand, is an interactive haunted house, but is only open seasonally.

Attack on Titan will be using 14 ft tall Live AAs from what i read but mainly just an exhibit.. Eva is just a 4d show will take place in the Universal Cinema 4d theatre, Biohazard will be a live action interactive haunted house and Monster hunter will pretty much an recreation on the environment and creatures that will attack you and you can interact with.

this is just seasonal from Jan 25-May 10 to reel people more people into their parks.

Mainly Universal Japan is trying out IPs that will brinng more guests in so they can have the same effect in Japan as they have in Florida in bringing more repeat guests to stay or come visit them while in Japan instead of just Tokyo Disneyland

Last edited:

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
There's no reason why a company the size of Disney shouldn't take advantage of a recession to spend money on new projects during it. You have better leverage against your contractors because they need work, the growth in attendence slows a bit allowing for some extra flexibility, and , on the inverse of your observation, the economy may be in a better place on opening day.

We did just this during recession. Yes it is a short term risk, but long term the construction was completed for 2/3 cost of done currently as companies were eager to pick up large jobs.

Progress.City

This many times over.

And it's not just new rides at the parks. Just look at the transportation infrastructure at WDW. The bus system is still often frustrating and unpredictable, and as we move into 2015, the lack of real time arrival info at all parks and resorts remains inexcusable. The monorails are in pathetic condition. All watercraft resort wide could benefit from a thorough refurbishment and overhaul. DHS parking access needs to be completely redesigned. The MK toll plaza interchange needs redesigning. The TTC continues to be an embarrassing first and last impression of the MK. Epcot's bus area desperately needs an overhaul. Traffic in and around DTD is often a nightmare (though work is being done to help fix this).

Thats just off the top of my head in terms of road/transportation infrastructure. It doesn't even touch the resorts or theme parks. Trouble is, fixing all these things will cost a LOT of money with no tangible monetary return, which is probably why they've been put off for years. In many respects, WDW is still operating on infrastructure from the 80s; it's rapidly proving to be inadequate.
Wait until I get my website up and running. I have been collecting various WDW transportation plans that for one reason or the other have been put on hold or outright cancelled. Much of these have never been published. I have complete engineering renderings and maps. I've been busy working and haven't had time to put it all together in a presentable way on my domain, but I promise I'll do it as soon as I have the time. It's worth the wait.

RSoxNo1

WDW will see record crowds in 2015.

Lower gas prices put money in people's pockets and has had a powerful psychological effect. The U.S. economy is steadily improving, and domestic visitors make up approximately 80% of all WDW Guests.

Frozen-at-the-parks and a completed New Fantasyland will continue to draw Guests. Even Universal's investment in Diagon Alley will help attract more visitors to WDW as Universal remains only a 2-day visit for most.

Big domestic theme park announcements in 2015 will get people talking about WDW and DLR, reminding them it just might be time for another visit.

With the exception of DVC, Disney kept prices in check in 2014. Tickets were up 4.3%, food by 4.6%, and hotels by 3%. More of the same in 2015 will assure record crowds.

Disney's biggest problem could be those record crowds. Surveys consistently show that theme park enjoyment is inversely proportional to crowd levels. Disney is in the business of selling fun, and it's no fun standing in line 90 minutes for SDMT, 180 minutes for the Anna & Elsa meet-and-greet, 40 minutes for Big Thunder Mountain, 50 minutes for Splash Mountain, 30 minutes for Pirates of the Caribbean, 30 minutes for Haunted Mansion, and 40 minutes for Winnie the Pooh even with FastPass+ selections for Space Mountain, Peter Pan's Flight, and Dumbo.

Meanwhile, 3 theme parks aren't worth a full day visit for most Guests.

WDW has a horrible capacity problem, caused by Disney largely ignoring 3 of its Orlando theme parks for over a decade.

Retheming Maelstrom into a Frozen attraction is not a solution; it's part of the problem.

Yes, there are other improvements on the horizon but Disney risks alienating a large segment of its customer base if it continues to drag its feet on some seriously needed capital improvements, the way it has for Pandora.
It really is true. All 4 parks are underbuilt for what guests expect to get out of them. I know it's the most crowded day of the year, but MK could probably use additional rides that can accommodate 4-6K more guests per hour.

All told, I actually think Animal Kingdom is really the park with the most reasonable crowd distribution relative to demand, and obviously that's underbuilt as well.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
@P286
It really is true. All 4 parks are underbuilt for what guests expect to get out of them. I know it's the most crowded day of the year, but MK could probably use additional rides that can accommodate 4-6K more guests per hour.

All told, I actually think Animal Kingdom is really the park with the most reasonable crowd distribution relative to demand, and obviously that's underbuilt as well.

I'd have to agree AK never seems crowded unless one of the street shows is happening and that's localized to the area only.

Cody5294

Hollywood Studios was quite miserable today. Tower of Terror, RnRC, and Toy Story consistently had 120+ min waits with ToT and Toy Story both hitting 3 hour waits. I was just there to say farewell to the Osborne lights one last time

the.dreamfinder

And y'all thought Christmas crowds were bad at MK!
image.jpg

Image Credit: @1205Douglas via @ThemeParkInsider

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom