The Spirited Back Nine ...

Goofyernmost

One person's "trolling" is another person's satire.

It's not a good precedent that Sony set.
There have been many movies made that didn't make a direct reference to an actual country with an actual crazy dictator. They usually skirt around it by using a different country name and a different appearing dictator. This to me was a direct confrontational troll. We have laws that allow us to make fun of our government, but, that isn't true with a lot of the world.

I don't like that they stopped it, but, they did go over the top on this one and perhaps got a little to politically real for anyone to not feel a little uncomfortable watching.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
It's my understanding is that the breaking point was when Sony execs received this in their email.

image.jpg

willtravel

vonpluto

There have been many movies made that didn't make a direct reference to an actual country with an actual crazy dictator. They usually skirt around it by using a different country name and a different appearing dictator. This to me was a direct confrontational troll. We have laws that allow us to make fun of our government, but, that isn't true with a lot of the world.

I don't like that they stopped it, but, they did go over the top on this one and perhaps got a little to politically real for anyone to not feel a little uncomfortable watching.

Probably a good thing there was no internet when Charlie Chaplin made The Great Dictator.

the.dreamfinder

I know folks like to say the Kims are mentally unstable or crazy, but everything they do is in the interest of keeping power. Now Moamar Gadhaffi on the other hand...

If you want to learn more about what we're dealing with Frontline did a great program on the current state of North Korea (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/secret-state-of-north-korea/) and there's a book called "The Real North Korea" by Andrei Lankov who has studied the nation for decades that's a great primer on their history and worldview.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom