The Spirited Back Nine ...

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
north-korea-meme-food-5.jpg

Cesar R M

One person's "trolling" is another person's satire.

It's not a good precedent that Sony set.
Specially when they are blaming a movie and an angry group of hackers from the hilariously sad IT groups in Sony.
They have been hacked so many times its not funny anymore.

Reminds me of that "IT" guy from Yahoo, that worked with 10 companies and still had time to scam other 30.
He was finally caught thanks to dirty kickbacks being tracked to him.

ravenswood

The people who determine the labor metrics and decide how long it is acceptable for guests to wait in line need to come out to the parks and determine it first-hand.
man oh man, that is one good sentence. I read it a couple of times just to fantasize about those people having to stand in lines and having to deal with reality and not just numbers and spreadsheets.

Goofyernmost

Probably a good thing there was no internet when Charlie Chaplin made The Great Dictator.
I'm going to assume that you are being serious and not just joking. You are absolutely correct. They didn't have internet back then and the impact of Chaplin movie at that time was pretty much confined to the US. It's possible that, at the time, other countries didn't even know it existed. It was more then a lack of internet, it was also a lack of any speedy, reliable news service at all.

This is a different world and it is run by thugs. Those that aren't thugs are lacking in any noticeable gonads. But that is with good reason. The world wide possibilities of serious retaliation are much more absolute now. In the last half century it has become necessary for us to figure out what would be for the good of the population and not become trigger happy when the only thing at stake is a movie.

Believe me, it frustrates me as much as anybody that a little two bit tyrant can hold the reins to our policy, but, somethings are not worth dying over and a minor little movie that feed to our own ego, is not worth dying for.

Last edited:

misterID

I'm going to assume that you are being serious and not just joking. You are absolutely correct. They didn't have internet back then and the impact of Chaplin movie at that time was pretty much confined to the US. It's possible that, at the time, other countries didn't even know it existed. It was more then a lack of internet, it was also a lack of any speedy, reliable news service at all.

This is a different world and it is run by thugs. Those that aren't thugs are lacking in any noticeable gonads. But that is with good reason. The world wide possibilities of serious retaliation are much more absolute now. In the last half century it has become necessary for us to figure out what would be for the good of the population and not become trigger happy when the only thing at stake is a movie.
Hitler knew. Chaplin was on his kill list. And Chaplin knew what the consequences could be when he did it... And he still did it.

Goofyernmost

Hitler knew. Chaplin was on his kill list.
I didn't know that, but, even knowing it we would never had imagined how that would have been carried out at the time. I spoke in another post about the Cuban Missile Crisis and the state of alert on the AFB that was on our property line. I also mentioned that they had B-52's armed with nuclear weapons and ready to deploy on the base during that time. Well, here is another interesting thing that speaks volumes about the difference in the world today as opposed to just in the 1960's. Those planes were parked at the end of the runway, not over 100 feet from a public highway. The only thing that was between them and the road was a chain link fence and some barbed wire. A person with a good throwing arm could have actually thrown a grenade and hit the planes with it from the highway. Nobody gave it a second thought.

Either the world wide evil people were dumber back then or the ability to do that type of sabotage was much more complex a problem at the time. Still even Hitler having Chaplin on the "to be killed" list he didn't threaten a group of civilians as a way to shut Chaplin up... he focused on Chaplin and not going around blowing up movie theaters.

Currently, as a means to stop anyone from seeing the movie in today's world, it would be totally ineffective. We now have TV, DVD's, Electronic media, etc. if we really felt that it was worth it to tick off an insane dictator and possibly risk the lives of people, just so we can view a comedy. Remember crazy dictators do stupid, inhuman things... should we risk life and limb for something so minor and done strictly for the purpose of creating a profit for Sony? I for one am not willing to risk my life over something so minor.

Besides, I give it a month until you can purchase a bootleg copy of it anyway.

SJN1279

Sony should have never greenlighted this terrible premise for a movie anyway. Would a major studio back a comedy about the assassination of Obama? From all the accounts the movie was a lemon, and not worth the hassle.

bhg469

Sony should have never greenlighted this terrible premise for a movie anyway. Would a major studio back a comedy about the assassination of Obama? From all the accounts the movie was a lemon, and not worth the hassle.
Free speech is a thing you know...

Entertainment is also a thing...

Not being able to to distinguish between fantasy and reality is not a good sign.

Team America keeps getting brought up and that was even more silly. Remember they made a movie "Lincoln"? I don't remember the end.

As far as a lemon? Christmas releases aren't released on Christmas because they're terrible. They are usually the best crop of movies untul summer.

vonpluto

Believe me, it frustrates me as much as anybody that a little two bit tyrant can hold the reins to our policy, but, somethings are not worth dying over and a minor little movie that feed to our own ego, is not worth dying for.

But Hollywood did bend to the Nazis back then. Find a recent book by B. Urwand called "The Collaboration: Hollywood's Pact With Hitler". No, no internet, but at the time studios altered movies to please the Nazis. There was even a German diplomat in LA who acted as consultant to the studios, in effect a political censor. Of course it all changed on December 7, 1941.

Travel Junkie

Throughout history satire in its many forms whether it be film, television, plays, art etc. have depicted the assassination of world leaders. There was a British mockumentary that depicted the assignation of George W. Bush while he was still in office. I’ve even heard inferences of violence towards world leaders on cable news. It’s quite frankly ignorant to suggest this is groundbreaking or a company has no right to release such a film.

I have spoken with people within the industry that have seen it and enjoyed it. Whether it was good or bad, it should have been released in some format and allowed the public decide.

Animaniac93-98

Hitler knew. Chaplin was on his kill list. And Chaplin knew what the consequences could be when he did it... And he still did it.

Ya, but that was back when telephones were made with tin cans and string, and it took 5 years to cross the Atlantic. Times are different now because of the internet and ipods and stuff. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom