The Spirited Back Nine ...

PhotoDave219

"Timmy"... really?

I think the only thing that has a remote chance of returning would be a version of the original Imagination. Sure, if I was in charge I'd push for a Horizons redux that would include an updated Carousel of Progress as well, but that's not realistic. Unfortunately, I think Epcot could be in trouble relative to DAK and DHS. I don't think Frozen, Soarin' 2.0 and Illuminations upgrades are enough for that park. I think they very well may be deliberately hamstringing Tom Fitzgerald as a convenient way to get him out the door.

Fine, I'll use "Timmah!" Instead....

So Timmah, we've been over this before. Epcot is in no way whatsoever the dire straits that DHS/DAK is in. People keep trying to insist that and I can't fathom why.

I agree that epcot needs more than Frozenstrom. They have plenty of vacant space that can be used. But they seem content to sit on their hands as long as the metric ton of cash & attendance rolls in with the festivals For six months out of the year.

For good or for bad, Epcot has become the "festival" park. Is what it is. That's unlikely to change given the amount of cash they bring in.

doctornick

Unfortunately, I think Epcot could be in trouble relative to DAK and DHS. I don't think Frozen, Soarin' 2.0 and Illuminations upgrades are enough for that park.

"Trouble" how? I have a hard time imagining that the park is somehow going to struggle for attendance. Certainly, I wouldn't expect any boost the way that DHS and DAK should hopefully get with new attractions once they open -- though the Frozen ride will bring some new guests -- but Epcot is far ahead of those parks in attendance to begin with. The features that already draw sizable numbers of guests to Epcot aren't going away.

And if more guests overall go to WDW in the wake of additions to DAK/DHS, then Epcot will pick up a corresponding percentage of said guests. People aren't going to just skip Epcot (I mean, some people might, but not an appreciable percentage).

TeddyinMO

Wow. So someone who is so incompetent they couldn't cancel a reservation and blames Disney IT for it has issues with the technology of a Magic Band and MDE and we are expected to believe it's Disney's fault. I'm going to guess that the issue might be yours. But that's OK. Blame Disney. It fits your narrative and that's far more important.

Well, Down at the world for on the trip I was going to cancel, But through the miracle of Disney's faulty IT the trip was never cancelled.

And Yes neither DW's or my MDE experience accounts are working AGAIN this trip, For crying out loud what the H--- is wrong with WDW IT operations. So no FP for us this trip, We probably will be making good use of the UNI passes this trip as I refuse to do the help desk thing AGAIN this trip. We will spend a couple of days at AK as it's our favorite and there is much to see and do there. We can spend hours just watching the tigers.

RSoxNo1

"Trouble" how? I have a hard time imagining that the park is somehow going to struggle for attendance. Certainly, I wouldn't expect any boost the way that DHS and DAK should hopefully get with new attractions once they open -- though the Frozen ride will bring some new guests -- but Epcot is far ahead of those parks in attendance to begin with. The features that already draw sizable numbers of guests to Epcot aren't going away.

And if more guests overall go to WDW in the wake of additions to DAK/DHS, then Epcot will pick up a corresponding percentage of said guests. People aren't going to just skip Epcot (I mean, some people might, but not an appreciable percentage).
Epcot is often a park that people hop to for meals. Adding restaurants and increasing the hours of DHS and DAK will cannibalize guests from that park. To Davey Jones' (@PhotoDave219) comment on Epcot not being in dire straits. The park is inflated by these festivals. Sooner or later it will need to have organic growth. They concluded that with DHS and an announcement on the evolution of that park should happen in 2015. Right now, the park is a well themed food court and is closer to Pleasure Island than Disney Springs ever will be. If that's what they want, great. But it can also be that and a theme park.

The anticipated attendance boosts for DAK and DHS could push those parks past Epcot in attendance. The level of investment anticipated in those two parks could approach that of a 5th gate. We saw what happened in 1998 when investments weren't made in other parks when Animal Kingdom opened, Animal Kingdom took guests away from Epcot and MGM. Add in the fact now that Universal isn't going away either and Epcot could be the park that people skip.

bhg469

Epcot is often a park that people hop to for meals. Adding restaurants and increasing the hours of DHS and DAK will cannibalize guests from that park. To Davey Jones' (@PhotoDave219) comment on Epcot not being in dire straits. The park is inflated by these festivals. Sooner or later it will need to have organic growth. They concluded that with DHS and an announcement on the evolution of that park should happen in 2015. Right now, the park is a well themed food court and is closer to Pleasure Island than Disney Springs ever will be. If that's what they want, great. But it can also be that and a theme park.

The anticipated attendance boosts for DAK and DHS could push those parks past Epcot in attendance. The level of investment anticipated in those two parks could approach that of a 5th gate. We saw what happened in 1998 when investments weren't made in other parks when Animal Kingdom opened, Animal Kingdom took guests away from Epcot and MGM. Add in the fact now that Universal isn't going away either and Epcot could be the park that people skip.
A third universal gate is imminent as well. Not sure how that plays out but it can't be long until an announcement is made.

Cesar R M

The point was about adding new types of businesses... vs expanding WITHIN a business. You talk about how Disney expands WITHIN the cruise space... while I'm talking about them even GETTING INTO the cruise business. Your whole 'same area' comment is goofy... because cruise companies also simply MOVE ships to stimulate demand or increase revenue. But I'm talking BEFORE they were in the cruise biz to start with.
Then what about disneyland paris, disney land tokio.. etc.etc..?
Also, not all companies expand their CORE business into other things.
Besides, they are all on the same group of hospitality or entertainment.

thehowiet

Wilson King of Prussia
Wow. So someone who is so incompetent they couldn't cancel a reservation and blames Disney IT for it has issues with the technology of a Magic Band and MDE and we are expected to believe it's Disney's fault. I'm going to guess that the issue might be yours. But that's OK. Blame Disney. It fits your narrative and that's far more important.

wellthatescalatedquicklymeme.png.png

bhg469

When they push this technology on the guests... yes, I think they're a bit to blame.

TeddyinMO

bhg, I actually see your point, and somewhat agree. But if you take that logic and run with it, we never would have had original fast pass or Key to the World cards or monorails to ride from the TTC to the front gates or 3-D shows or any number of things. Those were all technological advancements that they "forced" on the guests. The difference is when those started, everyone didn't have a website to whine to.

Transitions are tough. The move to MDE hasn't been perfect, but for the vast majority, it's gone well. WDW is bursting at the seems with people who are using it successfully. It's really not that complicated, and when it doesn't work, which happens with any technology, there are plenty of examples on this site of IT/CMs helping and fixing it with a phone call.

I do get that MDE and FP+ are not everyone's cup of tea. But let's be honest, there are a few posters on this site that will complain about WDW no matter what they do. When one person claims multiple IT issues that are clearly unrelated, well, I think it's fair to say that Disney IT is not the problem.

bhg469

bhg, I actually see your point, and somewhat agree. But if you take that logic and run with it, we never would have had original fast pass or Key to the World cards or monorails to ride from the TTC to the front gates or 3-D shows or any number of things. Those were all technological advancements that they "forced" on the guests. The difference is when those started, everyone didn't have a website to whine to.

Transitions are tough. The move to MDE hasn't been perfect, but for the vast majority, it's gone well. WDW is bursting at the seems with people who are using it successfully. It's really not that complicated, and when it doesn't work, which happens with any technology, there are plenty of examples on this site of IT/CMs helping and fixing it with a phone call.

I do get that MDE and FP+ are not everyone's cup of tea. But let's be honest, there are a few posters on this site that will complain about WDW no matter what they do. When one person claims multiple IT issues that are clearly unrelated, well, I think it's fair to say that Disney IT is not the problem.
In regards to the advancement of technology, thats a reach... Ticketing media is not really comparable to this. Not to sound like a jerk here but as far as I know, no one on this site earns their living on event ticketing other than myself and I am what you would call a professional in the industry. We use mainly barcodes but we could easily use mag stripes. The media used means very little, its just a matter of getting a number to compare against a validation database.

What disney is doing is trying to reinvent the wheel but their wheel doesn't always work so great. Im not talking about magic bands here. The FP- system is a step in the right direction for Disney but not a majority of its guests. My experience with it was enough for me to say that Disney doesnt want a single day guest. WDW has nothing new for me to want to spend 3-5 days there anymore. I could even argue if someone goes there for more than that and has been there within 5 years, you're wasting your money. It is a flawed system and I am not sure that IT is to blame, more so the suits that insist on forcing guests to plan every minute of a formerly relaxing vacation.

TeddyinMO

bhg, Great response. We may disagree, but I appreciate the reasoned and thought out comments. I also think you touched on why we disagree. I'm an annual visitor who comes for 3-5 days. Planning ahead and not having to worry about it when I get there helps make the vacation better for me. If I lived 15 mins away, I might have a very different opinion.

Quick question on your response... Weren't KTTW cards pretty revolutionary when they launched? I thought Disney's idea of getting close to everything on one medium (in this case a card) linked to your onsite room account was pretty much considered a game-changer. Not arguing, Just studied the idea in college and just really want to know if it's true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom