The Spirited Back Nine ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Whoever green lit the Lone Ranger at that budget should lose their job. An IP most people under 50 don’t relate to and realize that this would have had to be the highest grossing western of all time…to break even! Western's are not box office blockbusters. John Carter also suffers from irrelevancy even if it inspired so much (sorry it’s true.) This was on top of it being poorly made.

Star Wars does not suffer these problems. They could do nothing but play the John Williams score for 2 hours and it would gross a billion.

Agree with excessive budget for 'Lone Ranger' this should have been a $40-60 million budget TOPS, and just rehashed one of the old serial plots - with this it would have made bank.

Don't agree with John Carter, War, Martian Princesses, Epic battles and a bit of teleportation - How could Disney screw this up SO BADLY, Come on make a Rambo does Mars just like the bloody book.

Since SW is live action Disney CAN and probably will screw it up.

FigmentJedi

Agree with excessive budget for 'Lone Ranger' this should have been a $40-60 million budget TOPS, and just rehashed one of the old serial plots - with this it would have made bank.

Don't agree with John Carter, War, Martian Princesses, Epic battles and a bit of teleportation - How could Disney screw this up SO BADLY, Come on make a Rambo does Mars just like the bloody book.
Disney aside, the sex and violence of the original material wouldn't fly in the modern studio climate of "We gotta make all these horror movies PG13" anyways.
When I went into Disney's John Carter, I set my expectations for something like a contemporary 80s Flash Gordon/OT Star Wars (franchises which were Barsoom's children anyways) and it mostly delivered.

dstrawn9889

Via Napoli isn't exactly QS, even if it has a walk up window and can you name one fast food restaurant that has anything even close to comparable in central FL?

If you ordered a slice of pizza and a soda I could accept that but that is really a table service meal with an appetizer. Prices still high but not QS at all.
i did edit and say that i didnt at first see the CS... and yes VN is a table service.

BrerJon

John Carter was just fine as an adaptation. A fun pulpy sci-fi adventure movie with a great Willem Dafoe performance with Tars and a fantastic sidekick in the form of Woola. The problem was the pants on head idiotic marketing.

They could have fixed it with two words. I'm pretty sure had the movie been called 'John Carter Of Mars', box office takings would have been much higher. Mars is cool, some guy called 'John Carter'... less so.

I don't know who was responsible for that, but whoever it was should never be allowed to work in film or marketing again. I bet the Tangled marketing syndrome - 'girls don't like space things' - or some such nonsense, was behind that bone-headed decision.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There IS a chance SW will be a loser, Just look what Disney did with the Lone Ranger/John Carter If they make some politically correct movie with Star Wars props it could very well bomb at the box office.

If they had kept to the theme of the original Lone Ranger - ie Good Guy on horse rides in and defeats the bad guys it would have been a success (see Captain America movies replace horse with 40's bike) , And how can you screw up Edgar Rice Burroughs classic tale.
Come on man. Seriously. Because Disney made 2 bad movies in the last 5 years that automatically means there is a chance that Star Wars will be a bust at the box office? Do you know how crazy that sounds. You really think Star Wars as a franchise has the same mass appeal as Lone Ranger or John Carter? It would be virtually impossible for this movie to not make money.

I don't like to come down on people for sharing opinions, but no rational person could actually believe what you are saying. It just comes across as needing to be negative because it has the name Disney on it.

FigmentJedi

They could have fixed it with two words. I'm pretty sure had the movie been called 'John Carter Of Mars', box office takings would have been much higher. Mars is cool, some guy called 'John Carter'... less so.

I don't know who was responsible for that, but whoever it was should never be allowed to work in film or marketing again. I bet the Tangled marketing syndrome - 'girls don't like space things' - or some such nonsense, was behind that bone-headed decision.
It was a mix of Stanton overestimating John Carter's recognizability and marketing idiots thinking that Mars is box office poison because Mars Needs Moms flopped so horrifically as well as thinking that boys wouldn't go to a movie called A Princess of Mars.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I never said food (or any other items at WDW) is a bargain at WDW.

But you challenged that it was excessive and said it was only 20-30% elsewhere.

You paid $40 for a QS meal at WDW? One of the most expensive (that I know of) is the combo platter in AK's Flame Tree BBQ and it costs around $23 plus $2.75 for a soda. Now that is still pricey, very pricey IMO but nowhere close to $40.

My family would be quite upset if I didn't feed them too....

Bairstow

Whoever green lit the Lone Ranger at that budget should lose their job. An IP most people under 50 don’t relate to and realize that this would have had to be the highest grossing western of all time…to break even! Western's are not box office blockbusters.

The original Pirates of the Caribbean movie made even less sense when they gambled on that one.
Before that movie came out, the only pirate movie of any note people could remember was Cutthroat Island, and the only theme park ride movie to compare it to was Haunted Mansion.

As for Westerns,in 2010 True Grit made a quarter of a billion dollars of a $38 million dollar budget, and the very same director had already made almost as much money with Rango.

dstrawn9889

It's the same thing though. It's an isolated environment. Once you are in, there's no going out.

They can charge whatever they want and people will pay it.
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.png

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Come on man. Seriously. Because Disney made 2 bad movies in the last 5 years that automatically means there is a chance that Star Wars will be a bust at the box office? Do you know how crazy that sounds. You really think Star Wars as a franchise has the same mass appeal as Lone Ranger or John Carter? It would be virtually impossible for this movie to not make money.

I don't like to come down on people for sharing opinions, but no rational person could actually believe what you are saying. It just comes across as needing to be negative because it has the name Disney on it.

I beg to differ on this, With the sole exception of the Marvel movies, Disney's live action offerings have been to be charitable stinkers recently. Disney has discontinued the 'Clone Wars' animated series for the 'Kid Friendly' Rebel's series which while being beautifully animated - seems to lack heart for lack of a better term which worries me that the new Star Wars will be nothing more than a infomercial for Star Wars toys.

What I'm driving at is the SW movies are either going to be like Marvel and be a Creative and Financial success OR they are going to follow the Lone Ranger/John Carter model and flop badly even though they had good material to work with.

FigmentJedi

The original Pirates of the Caribbean movie made even less sense when they gambled on that one.
Before that movie came out, the only pirate movie of any note people could remember was Cutthroat Island, and the only theme park ride movie to compare it to was Haunted Mansion.
Also Muppet Treasure Island, but that's a Muppet movie so that's different. And I guess Treasure Planet having flopped too was a concern going into POTC.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Disney aside, the sex and violence of the original material wouldn't fly in the modern studio climate of "We gotta make all these horror movies PG13" anyways.
When I went into Disney's John Carter, I set my expectations for something like a contemporary 80s Flash Gordon/OT Star Wars (franchises which were Barsoom's children anyways) and it mostly delivered.

But the sex and violence is what made the book so great for teen Sci-Fi lovers!

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

As for Westerns,in 2010 True Grit made a quarter of a billion dollars of a $38 million dollar budget, and the very same director had already made almost as much money with Rango.

And the original PoTC movie was completely awesome - once again proving STORY not 'Marketing Synergies' makes a movie. Loved when Cap'n Jack got slugged by the girls after stepping ashore on the masts of his sinking craft. Just pure comedic gold.

BrianLo

Actually its not "cyclical".
the complains are very basic.
First.. Disney didnt think of the popularity of the movie at all, barely had products in shelves.. now they are everywhere.
Then, after Frozen proved to be extremely popular.... instead of getting a prime time E ticket, we get a crappy refurb on an extremely low capacity section in an area that doesn't fit thematically at all. (I'm talking about Epcot's frozen).

I totally get the Frozen complaint, I was just pointing out how they are taking the complete opposite strategy with Star Wars (thinking ahead, planning big things in terms of theme park projects tied to the new movies) and there were still complaints about "what if it flops"? The Star Wars strategy was the part I was calling cyclical complaining.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom