The Spirited Back Nine ...

dhall

Go to California and spend a couple days at DL. Disney still does it mostly "right" there.
At this point, that's my plan. I'll be heading out west in the fall for 2-3 days on a solo trip (wife has a conference in San Diego and a companion air fare to use up), so (with her actual blessing, not a 'do what you want') I'll be checking out DLR for my next pixie dust fix.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yeah I know. What you described is what WDW was to me growing up. We would do Keys to the Kingdom so we had access to everything as if it were an inclusive resort. The canoeing and campfires at FW.. to see the electric water parade. The power boats... swimming.. learning to ski on bay lake.. doing the Revue or Luau.. playing golf...

I still argue (and have) that Disney is responsible for conditioning the masses to the 'gotta do it all' mentality that leads to everyone stressing out and overloading in the parks.
Yes, THIS is the Disney I remember as a kid and young adult, No it was never possible to do everything but you could do far more than 'just parks' and it was indeed AMAZING and created a lifetime customer as well. Now it seems WDW wants one and done guests only.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I could see a day when WDW is no longer walk up, buy your ticket, and get in. You purchase your tickets six months out, set up which park you are at which day, all your rides, shows, food etc and then EVERYTHING is preplanned according to a schedule. You see the beginnings of this with MM+. They can max out every park every day by doing this and with minimal wait time to guests since everything is on a set schedule. I would hate it, but this appears to be the direction they are heading, especially if they refuse to add capacity to the parks.
Agreed. They are definitely heading that way now. One of the biggest obstacles to that plan is local AP holders who want to just show up at a whim. It's not surprising how much they have jacked up those AP prices. Comparing a local AP at WDW to a local AP for Universal tells the story (even at 4 parks to 2 it's still significantly more money).

RSoxNo1

Or they could have gotten rid of Toontown much sooner for a Storybook Land like in DL and DLP and Pooh could have gone there. Oh and it could've been Hunny Hunt that we got instead of the cheaper dark ride but as you say ... nope. Tomorrowland also has plenty of space. From my own simple observation I see possible space for four new rides there all before even considering removal of the Speedway. Completely gutting the buildings for Stitch (maybe even one of the gift shops too) and Monsters could be enough space for 2 small C/D Ticket dark rides. Then there's 2 spaces for possible E Tickets in an area next to Space Mountain which was actually considered at one point and the parking lot if Disney was willing to use it.
View attachment 75987 View attachment 75989
Once again, thanks for that picture @marni1971
Stitch and the adjacent shops/snack stands can fit a decent scale ride. Combining Monster's Inc and Buzz Lightyear would serve the same purpose. For Fantasyland, you can gain a lot of space by putting a Tomorrowland Speedway equivalent in DHS themed around Cars and moving it's a small world to Epcot. I've also heard a decent suggestion on here to move PhilharMagic to the front of the park as well. I think to better round out the Magic Kingdom, one or more of these types of things are going to have to start happening. I would think that Speedway is probably the most vulnerable simply because the budget exists for Hollywood Studios to put a similar ride over there, and the Speedway space can be absorbed into Fantasyland.

Mike S

Stitch and the adjacent shops/snack stands can fit a decent scale ride. Combining Monster's Inc and Buzz Lightyear would serve the same purpose. For Fantasyland, you can gain a lot of space by putting a Tomorrowland Speedway equivalent in DHS themed around Cars and moving it's a small world to Epcot. I've also heard a decent suggestion on here to move PhilharMagic to the front of the park as well. I think to better round out the Magic Kingdom, one or more of these types of things are going to have to start happening. I would think that Speedway is probably the most vulnerable simply because the budget exists for Hollywood Studios to put a similar ride over there, and the Speedway space can be absorbed into Fantasyland.
Yes all that does sound like a good way to handle Magic Kingdoms capacity issue at some point in the future. Moving IASW doesn't sound as crazy as it once did now that it's actually being done in Tokyo but it will still be in the same land over there. You never know how fans would react over here either if it was announced to be moving out of Fantasyland altogether. It's also surprising that they're the first DL style park to be getting rid of their Speedway. Who knows, maybe IASW could be improved upon during its move to Epcot. Of course this is all talk and probably will never happen.

I gotta tell you, I am probably best labeled a pixie duster, I love the place, for various reasons... But I had such a mediocre experience, it has me rethinking our annual trips. Or at best coming down and and only spending one day at MK and then spending the rest of the week elsewhere. We had a such a good time at our hotel (MARRIOTT HARBOR LAKE) that we cut days short to get back there.

We stayed at Marriott Harbor Lake the first two times we took our kids to WDW (Nov. 2009 & April 2012). The kids absolutely loved it and we left the parks early each day to make sure we got plenty of time in swimming around the pirate ship. We stayed on-property for the first time this year (Feb. 2014) at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Totally a huge let down from staying at Harbor Lake on fun for the kids. (And the room was kind of filthy as well.) Definitely not worth the 7X or 8X I paid vs. Harbor Lake. Wouldn't go back to AKL again.

LithiumBill

We stayed at Marriott Harbor Lake the first two times we took our kids to WDW (Nov. 2009 & April 2012). The kids absolutely loved it and we left the parks early each day to make sure we got plenty of time in swimming around the pirate ship. We stayed on-property for the first time this year (Feb. 2014) at Animal Kingdom Lodge. Totally a huge let down from staying at Harbor Lake on fun for the kids. (And the room was kind of filthy as well.) Definitely not worth the 7X or 8X I paid vs. Harbor Lake. Wouldn't go back to AKL again.
The kids really did enjoy the pools and the staff at Harbor Lake was just unbelievable... so nice, and very accommodating. Nothing but great praise for that place.

BrerJon

While they are at it they should work on reshaping customer behavior to find value resort wide. Until they can get the other 3 parks to become at least full day parks, go back to the "Vacation Kingdom" concept and get families especially repeat families to spend time doing other things instead of Theme Park Day 1, 2 , 3 , 4, repeat.

This hits the nail on the head. WDW should be a place to vacation which happens to have theme parks, not just a bunch of parks which happen to be a 20 minute bus ride from each other and little else worth doing.

In the Discovery Island/River Country/Bay Lake days, and when there were just one or two parks, a week at WDW meant a few days doing parks and a few days relaxing, riding horses or jet skis, enjoying the beach or a barbecue, exploring a nature trail... nowadays, with prices reserved for only the richest folk, most people don't have a choice to take in the more relaxing side of WDW, and even those that do stay on property feel they have to roar around the parks to get value for money, after spending a small fortune, so that more relaxing pace has been lost for most people.

Nubs70

It seems to be anything frozen related. The Osborne lights frozen dessert party still sells out…

I think @71jason set it either on here or somewhere else… But this is an intellectual property that's prime for a boutique park. You can make your own little replica Airendale, you can have an ice skating rink inside somewhere, you going to sing-along, you can have a meet and greet, you could have a couple of rides...

Limit admission to a couple thousand people and charge A lot of money.
Instead of a boutique park with a huge upcharge, build Airendale and limit admission to onsite guests only. The upcharge will come from the room sale thus not being an in your face price increase. Exclusive admission would be considered a perk not an additional expense.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Instead of a boutique park with a huge upcharge, build Airendale and limit admission to onsite guests only. The upcharge will come from the room sale thus not being an in your face price increase. Exclusive admission would be considered a perk not an additional expense.

Airendale? You mean they should build one of these? ;)

Airedale-terrier-charles14m.jpg

Little Green Men

Sorry it was a let down. AKL is the only deluxe that doesn't offer transportation other than busses, the other deluxes have boat, monorail, or both. When I stayed there I loved it, the animals being right there was so cool and they have some of the best restaurants on property. Kids might appreciate the Contemporary or Polynesian Resorts for more kids activities and close proximity to the Magic Kingdom.

BrianLo

It's also surprising that they're the first DL style park to be getting rid of their Speedway.

Not particularly, it's easily the worst of the bunch. I think I even called it the worst thing at the TDR resort a year and a half ago. Nothing redeeming about it honestly, fantasyland and tomorrow land will be all the better for it!

the.dreamfinder

Speaking of Arrendale... on ABC's Christmas Light Fight this evening two kids from Rhode Island built a replica of Elsa's ice castle. When asked by the host why they built it, they responded as soon as they saw the ice castle they wanted to go inside. Folks want to be transported to these worlds, not a slapdash refurb of a World Showcase ride. Looks like they'll have to settle for the two kids from RI.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom