The Spirited 8th Wonder (WDW's Future & You!)

asianway

Nevermind the island has to have everything brought in and taken out. There is nothing to do there except be stranded if the boat wasn't there. Nothing to support a population

Nevermind it's not cost effective to use the cruise ship to take people there and back... So why bother?

Put it on a bad location where you can do a real resort and shuttle people to the cruise port
And the monstrous Mosquitos I hear come out at night

flynnibus

Premium Member
huh?

go ahead and say it , i wasnt trolling

C cay is a overgrown sandbar without any cover, water, or any natural beauty or features. Everything is brought on and off by Disney every trip and they manufactured the limited recreation and beaches that are there.

Contrast that with Oahu that can support year round population, has natural beauty, recreation, has commerce, and other people bringing what you need, etc

Diamond head vs the rocky brush of c cay? There is no comparison

sweetpee_1993

C cay is a overgrown sandbar without any cover, water, or any natural beauty or features. Everything is brought on and off by Disney every trip and they manufactured the limited recreation and beaches that are there.

Contrast that with Oahu that can support year round population, has natural beauty, recreation, has commerce, and other people bringing what you need, etc

Diamond head vs the rocky brush of c cay? There is no comparison
Not that CC could ever be comparable to a Hawaiian island...

..but have you done the kayak tour on CC? It takes you off the beaten path to areas not accessible to day guests. The kayaking takes you into the mangroves. Very different from the manufactured beach areas. Most definitely not something Disney placed there. Also, the beach areas you see during the tour are not really messed with by Disney. They don't feel too altered.

No, I don't think building on CC is a good idea at all. There's not enough there to support a resort. How would guests even get there??? Plus, it'd take away from that highly touted DCL experience, the special-ness of a day on their private island.

I think a Caribbean resort would be nice. There's plenty of islands that have airports and other services established. Not so sure how well it'd sell... I don't see it ever happening.

pixargal

A Caribbean resort would be nice. But, until they build one, I would recommend staying at a Beaches Resort. We stayed at Beaches Resort in the Turks and Caicos over spring break this year and it was amazing! The landscaping and theming of the buildings was very Disney-esque. The food quality and choices were great and the customer service was top notch.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They could sell DVC in the Caribbean because its close to the customer base and would provide a year round location. There are tons of timeshares all over the Caribbean that sell without the built in guest base DVC has.

Using their current island isn't a great option. I'm thinking somewhere like the Bahamas or a place like St Martin. St Martin already has a cruise ship port, established shopping and restaurants plus the beach.

rael ramone

I think some people here missed the part of the "castaway" part of the name of the island.
They are supposed to give a "clean, fun and away from everyday stuff" type day to visitors.
Setting there a DVC or a resort would simply destroy he feel of the island imho.

And yet if there's short term profit for $DIS, it would happen in a second...

Rambler

I am new in this thread. I do not know what the DVC offers at WDW. If they take over a resort, can the general public not be able to book a room?
A bed and a bath is all my wife really need, but are open to options. I prefer to stay on property, I feel more secure, and enjoy bus service.
I would pay a more if I was guaranteed some perks that fit into what I wanted. Would appreciate any advice.
Would prefer to hear from you guys in the booths at the parks.

crispy

I am new in this thread. I do not know what the DVC offers at WDW. If they take over a resort, can the general public not be able to book a room?
A bed and a bath is all my wife really need, but are open to options. I prefer to stay on property, I feel more secure, and enjoy bus service.
I would pay a more if I was guaranteed some perks that fit into what I wanted. Would appreciate any advice.

From what is being described, they would take over a portion of the rooms of a resort, but there would still be rooms available to the general public (aka Non-DVC members). At this point, they are currently turning some rooms at The Polynesian into DVC rooms and also building some new villas. The rumor is that some rooms at the Wilderness Lodge will be taken over and converted to DVC, but not all rooms. There are still many, many non-DVC rooms so no need to fear not being able to book a room! :) You can actually book at a DVC resort, too, it is just very pricy unless you rent directly from an owner. It is unknown if the moderate resorts will be affected at some point so there is only rumor and speculation.

I hope this helps!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Check out the DVC section of the board. There are lots of threads on what DVC is, how it works and if it's worth it.

DVC resorts generally have both studios (which are about the same size as a standard hotel room) and much larger 1BR, 2BR and even 3BR villas. The villas have full kitchens, separate living and bedroom spaces and a washer and dryer in every room. If you are just looking for a bed and a bath the studios would be more than enough. They usually have a queen bed plus a pullout couch and a kitchenette.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I gotta say, I don't think I get the Four Season's strategy here.

They're not even going to get 60 days ahead for FastPass Plus? Boy there are going to be some ticked off wealthy "guests" when they get to the parks and can't ride Mine Train or see Anna and Elsa! Even the Swan and Dolphin managed to negotiate the 60 days ahead.

I've stayed at Four Seasons hotels, and they are wonderful. And the prices on the Orlando one aren't that out of reach. But I have to say, I would still choose to pay cash to stay at a monorail or Epcot resort over the Four Seasons, (as long as the rooms don't get any dingier than they already are.) There is value in location.

I dunno, I guess I don't get it. I could see the appeal for wealthy international guests who are coming to Orlando/U.S. mainly to shop versus visit the Disney parks, which perhaps are just a side attraction for them. Or maybe the FS will attract the folks who just do a VIP Tour for a day or two and be done with it.

It's interesting anyway. I wonder if there will be a hurry to negotiate the 60 day prebooking privilege with Disney once it opens and they get a bunch of ticked off guests yelling at them.

My guess is that the Four Seasons guests will get FAR superior Guest Service than a WDW deluxe guest.
I think unless you are taking a MK only vacation, the monorail resorts are not at all convenient for most of WDW. Four Seasons has location as well.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Remember that the land that the Four Seasons and Golden Oak sit on are no longer "controlled" by Reedy Creek, they were de-annexed before they started building. However, the area is still listed on the District's land maps, as is the Celebration land, since I believe they are the ones providing utility and emergency services to the Four Seasons and Golden Oak property.

As to if the District has a design board or visual design guidelines, I don't believe they do (remember, Disney has many different themes spread throughout property), as I've never seen or heard of one. But, as I mentioned above, I don't think it would matter if they did, as the land is no longer "within" the District.

It's a mix. Some services are from RCID and some are from O.C.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The price has been steadily increasing/offerings decreasing, as well. The ones in September are like $65, but October is like $75 with tax now. A way long way from the $42 price they used to be, I believe (and I'm sure even cheaper before that, that's just when I started going). I used to do it - five hours in the MK after dark with spooky stuff going on? Sign me up! I'd go to 3 in a week when I was there.

Now? Eh.

Used to be?

They used to be something like $15-19 when they started. At least the Christmas parties, which started well before the Halloween ones.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom