The Spirited 11th Hour ...

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
It feels more and more like major Corporations in this day and age sink so much money into evaluating every aspect of the company in an effort to cut costs, but the evaluations cost 5X more than the amount they may save by the end of it all. IF they spent that same money, time and energy into improving their product rather than crazy billion dollar schemes, perhaps they could spend their time counting all the money they made and not have to explain to a BOD why there are doing ridiculous studies and practices to get people to spend more money.

Exploiting your customer to no end can not be considered a model for success.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It feels more and more like major Corporations in this day and age sink so much money into evaluating every aspect of the company in an effort to cut costs, but the evaluations cost 5X more than the amount they may save by the end of it all. IF they spent that same money, time and energy into improving their product rather than crazy billion dollar schemes, perhaps they could spend their time counting all the money they made and not have to explain to a BOD why there are doing ridiculous studies and practices to get people to spend more money.

It's because of the 'A good manager can manage anything' since many managers have little or no domain knowledge they create numerical 'metrics' to evaluate the business 'by the numbers', It never works for long.

andysol

Seems like another over-exaggeration. How are you not "chasing your tail" once youve used your three FP+ and you go to a kiosk to get a fourth?

I preferred legacy when I was younger. But now with 2 kids (6 and 2)- I actually prefer FP+ at this point in my life. I do EMH or rope drop at a park. Head back to hotel around 11- rest up or swim or just hang- then go to the recommended park and use my 3 FP+. I don't actually need or want a 4th FP- I literally have never used one of those kiosks yet.

Of course, that's just me. FP+ nor legacy was one size fits all. FP+ absolutely hurts the well informed, disciplined park-goer, and FP+ absolutely helps the uniformed, late arriver. Which sucks, because almost all of us are the informed and disciplined park-goer. However, you just take whatever system and make it work to your advantage. I never used to park hop, but now I do, and I'm ok with it because I simply don't go park-commando anymore.

gonzoWDW

Do you think on some level that its 99% about collecting the data and 1% for guest satisfaction and the tie it all together part was simply an effort to make guests feel like it was for them and to hide its true intention?

And I dont care if they collect all this data if it helps them to know how much food should go where and how much beer is needed in WS or how many paper towels they need to stock. But if thats the case, when will we start to see a big improvement? Will the savings they gain be passed on to us in any fashion? Do they even want it to benefit the guest or is it just a way for them to save money and still increase prices?

From an IE perspective, the data that a tool like MM+ gathers is probably invaluable, especially since it centralizes all the information and allows for (and should be utilized to conduct) some decently sophisticated analyses, from both the park and the customer perspective.

HOWEVER, going back to my days first days studying IE in college, every professor I ever had emphasized one point: all changes should either improve or not detract from the customer experience. Customer service is key. From then, cost is the overriding concern. The major issue is that most IEs decide to focus solely on cost, and ignore the customer experience. Have seen it in a couple of the places I've worked in my still young career.

Also, like some other posters, I don't bother with the kiosk, unless all my original FP+ are very early. Slightly worse for me, but potentially better for most guests, since I'm not taking more FPs. I'm neither in favor of nor against FP+. I have had a major issue with it one time, but that was very early and I haven't had issues since. Still, the horror stories are pretty bad...

jhastings74

Universal Studios Hollywood introduces demand pricing. Are the other parks far behind?

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-universal-tickets-20160202-story.html

I'm still not sure how I feel about this, regardless of which Company/which Park, etc. I think I would be on-board with it if the ticket prices stayed what they are now for 'peak' times, and then were discounted from their current price for the lower tiers. I would NOT like it if the least-busy period was at current price and then they tack on extra from that for the higher tiers.

Judging from history and experience, though...I don't think that's how it'll play out...

COProgressFan

This times 1,000. I've had the same thought. So much time and money is spent wasted on scheming for new ways to suck every last nickel out of customers wallets, that they completely miss the reason people came in the first place. Give customers a high quality product, treat them well, make them feel like they're getting something for their money and you'll end up with happy customers and happy bottom line.

It sickens me to think what the multiple billions spent on NextGen could have been better spent on instead at WDW.

Cesar R M

Now that's not cute, that's nasty. Rather than roll in my scooter, I, for one, would certainly still sprint if I could. Fast pass or not. Wait and see what you have to say when your are 83 and/or have a physical disability. (Which I prefer to call an inconvenience.)

By the way, as far as we're concerned, fast passes really mess up our day. It's very difficult to come up with any type of logical touring plan rather than jumping from one part of the park to another. Plus needing to get them ninety days in advance is ----supply your own word.
As someone who is also disabled in another way, I didnt mean to mock on people with REAL disabilities.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I agree. Likely too many marketing folks in the design process.

When I first heard about NGE i was very excited thinking we would have an electronic version of the FP system, ie walk up to Kiosk wave card and get a FP which would have been convenient and far greener than printing millions of tickets along with eliminating the magstripe readers which could get very finicky.

Then the 'reservation' part came along and it became very clear that NGE was an IE exercise which would not be beneficial to the guest for the most part. Yes I know the uber planners love the feature but for those of us who when we visit the world the biggest decision of the day was ' what park to visit' NGE was and is a net negative.

Cesar R M

I've posted this before, but there is plenty of groveling on the Seeking Alpha comments section anytime there's an article on $DIS. (I recall one person actually called an article or message that was against The Mouse 'offensive'). I wonder how many commenters are actually Zenia's Minions...
Minions? nah, maybe lifestylers? dunno, there are well known defenders in here.. And all admitted to owning stock or run blogs who depends on the mouse related hits.

Cesar R M

I never go to the Kiosk. So in the old days...I never got more than 1 or 2 FP. Now I like that I get 3 regularly and plan towards that schedule, so for me personally I feel FP+ has been a net improvement. However, that doesn't mean that I love the whole FP process, I much prefer no FP(+). but I prefer FP+ to FP.
The point is "when it works". thankfully FP has been way more stable than years before.

As I've said many times.. In february 2015.. there was a huge onslaught as all MyMagic and a lot of systems went down (affecting hotel operations ) on President's day.
It was INSANE.
Now, I went again on december 31, the system looked solid. Only failed a few FP+s that required more attempts to confirm (but mostly related to the wireless access points being used to the seams, because I switched to my DATA plan and My Magic worked fine)

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the Seeking Alpha comments section?
Perhaps he means "moochers" who are actively trying to get on the good side of the blogger?
Its like those guys who are in youtube saying "first!" (because they got the first comment on the video)

jakeman

Then the 'reservation' part came along and it became very clear that NGE was an IE exercise which would not be beneficial to the guest for the most part. Yes I know the uber planners love the feature but for those of us who when we visit the world the biggest decision of the day was ' what park to visit' NGE was and is a net negative.
/sigh. Except...it's not.

For the reminder of the day the following FPs are not available:

MK: All meet and greets, BTM, 7DMT, Peter Pan
Epcot: Soarin, Test Track
DHS: TSMM
DAK: All available if not closed for refurb

I've done this enough, and at enough time points, that your standard rebuttal of "it's a Tuesday in February" has no merit.

On most days you can literally figure your FPs out on the way to the park and have access to all but a single digit number of experiences across the entire property.

FigmentJedi

Great essay on the antiquated garbage that is the "Disney Vault" in light of the new Snow White Blu-Ray. Gonna highlight the conclusion below.
http://moviemezzanine.com/disney-vault-essay/
The Disney Vault, by its very name, suggests a long and detailed history associated with the company name. For animation junkies and film fans, a detailed accounting of Disney’s past would be more than welcome on the company’s releases of its animated films. Having this kind of information would, perhaps, not complete the entire puzzle, but it would offer more context and insight than we have now. From a financial standpoint, driving up demand makes sense for Disney. But releasing a select group of films–particularly popular ones, at that–on a delayed schedule that the studio doesn’t even stick to anymore suggests that the Disney Vault’s initial construct no longer serves any purpose. We don’t need multiple versions of Snow White on Blu-ray, especially if each one sacrifices a bevy of supplements in the process. We don’t need the Disney Vault anymore. Bob Iger doesn’t need a literal vault in which to swim through his company’s riches, and neither do we.

Mike S

well, in this case it means saving money.. in Disney's case would mean having to fork up to 200% in a top busy day D:
Yeah. At first I thought this would be bad but then I saw the max ticket price would NOT increase. Let's see if this strategy works for Harry Potter's opening.

Goofyernmost

I was paying attention. And anybody not wanting to read this response about MM+, please just skip past it and save me the "can we get back on topic" garbage. Just skip past this please.

Ill start with this:

We were a family of 6 and we visited 2 to 4 times per year when I was younger. The whole "everyone else is off enjoying the park" claim is always over exagerated.. The amount of time it took my bother and I to go and retrieve FP's for the whole family was about 20 minutes avg. Thats hardly enough time for the rest of the family to have some miraculous time or even to ride anything at all unless a family was idiotic and sent a person for FP's at Space Mountain while the rest of the family headed towards BTMRR. If my brother and I went to Space Mtn for FP's, the family would perhaps go to Toon TOwn or ride the People Mover and meet us. It only took a little common sense

All FP+ does is bind you to a schedule. Unless your day goes 100% as planned, you worse off than you were with LEgacy. Even if it does go perfectly, you get your 3 FP+ then your back to a kiosk. So lets say you make your FP+ selections for MK in the morning. The times are spread out enough that your stuck in MK until at least 1 pm. Thats not so bad, but once youve used them all, your back to a kiosk and the chances of getting an E ticket at another park or at MK are virtually 0. Especially on a busy day. Or if you decide to switch parks on the morning of, forget about on a busy day. Your not going to get anything worthwhile.

I could say the same with LEgacy. "Walk up, hand them a ticket, and boom, your in", Sans the potential of a computer error or a system wide crash, or a band malfunction, or any other of the myriad of issues that com with an extremely heavily computerized, wireless system.

Im not blaming the system for people being idiots. The system has created more possibilities for potential errors and/or scammers. Thats all. I bet you any CM that worked there when Legacy FP was around found it so much easier to deny a person entrance because they could just show them the ticket with the time on it, not have to call an IT person over and get on the Ipad and have the person whip out their phone to get on MDE.

My memory isnt clouded. You think Im saying MM+ is garbage. Im not. Im just saying Legacy was less prone to errors, didnt cost $3 billion dollars, and was simple. Its downside was that if you if showed up to the park at 1 pm, there was chance that all the FP's for a ride like Soarin might be gone. Note that I said Might be gone, not definitely gone, which is how it is now on most days.
FP+ didn't cost 3 billion dollars, in fact, all of it put together didn't cost 3 billion dollars it's just that it has been increased every time it has been mentioned. FP+ was a small part of that cost. But, even then it works for many of us in a manner that is easier and more convenient then Legacy did. My wish is that neither existed. The no FP system was incredibly easy to use and worked better for the majority then FP ever did. As for technology opening up avenues for more errors... welcome to the 21 century. Other then being able to do things like this discussion board, not a lot has been achieved, in the line of quality, that we didn't have before any of it showed up. OK, maybe math is easier now.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom