The Spirited 11th Hour ...

sWANNISAX

My compliant with fast pass + isn't the choosing in advance its just how far in advance I have to choose. I wouldn't mind if it was during my trip or even the same day. I hate having to plan what day I'm going to what park 60 days out in order to get the e-ticket fast passes. I do it because I have to. I also dislike how it ties me to a schedule of what park what day on vacation. I liked waking up and saying it feels like an Epcot day or MK and not having to think about what fast passes i already have.

Jws008

That's..... Well that's interesting.

You're assuming the MVP is one of those two people.

Actually, when Disney did the original ad in Super Bowl 21 (Giants v. Broncos) the deal was made before the game for the ad to feature the winning QB (Simms or Elway), not for the MVP.

(Oddly, my source on this is "Simms to McConkey", the book the two players wrote with the late Dick Schapp after that season. Simms spends half a page discussing the deal for the ad. Yes, I am now ashamed that I read a book with Phil Simms as one of its co-authors.)

Jws008

Actually, when Disney did the original ad in Super Bowl 21 (Giants v. Broncos) the deal was made before the game for the ad to feature the winning QB (Simms or Elway), not for the MVP.

(Oddly, my source on this is "Simms to McConkey", the book the two players wrote with the late **** Schapp after that season. Simms spends half a page discussing the deal for the ad. Yes, I am now ashamed that I read a book with Phil Simms as one of its co-authors.)

Oh, ugh, should've realized that the shorter nickname for Richard would get me in trouble. ;)

peter11435

My compliant with fast pass + isn't the choosing in advance its just how far in advance I have to choose. I wouldn't mind if it was during my trip or even the same day. I hate having to plan what day I'm going to what park 60 days out in order to get the e-ticket fast passes. I do it because I have to. I also dislike how it ties me to a schedule of what park what day on vacation. I liked waking up and saying it feels like an Epcot day or MK and not having to think about what fast passes i already have.
You still don't need to plan 60 days out. I just checked and I can currently get a fastpass for every attraction at WDW for tomorrow except to meet Anna and Elsa. You can almost always get a fastpass the day before and mostly same day in the morning for every attraction except Anna and else and mine train.

And checking for today. As of 4:30 I can get a fastpass for everything except Peter Pan, mine train, Anna and Elsa, belle, and the evening entertainment. Everything else is still available. And the fact is those attractions would have most likely been out of fastpasses by this point with the old fastpass as well.

Last edited:

NormC

But you don't have to do so. My family went in July and the only fast pass we booked a few days earlier was 7DMT because it was our first time riding it so we wanted to be sure we could get on it. We also did not plan any meals in advance and still were able to eat at Crystal Palace and 50's Prime time with same day reservations. Uber planning is not necessary.

PhotoDave219

(Oddly, my source on this is "Simms to McConkey", the book the two players wrote with the late **** Schapp after that season. Simms spends half a page discussing the deal for the ad. Yes, I am now ashamed that I read a book with Phil Simms as one of its co-authors.)

Okay. Well The other year Malcolm Smith, a defensive back, was the SB MVP. I know this because I photographed him and it made either SI or one of SI's publications.

TP2000

We just have a bunch of rich guys scrambling around to cash in on a real estate bonanza which will be taken from the little guys by the City/County of LA and resold to political insider(s) who will get rich selling it to the venue builder and the team. The economic benefits will be touted but the reality is a few hundred part time jobs will be created and the LA taxpayers will be on the hook for decades.

The new NFL stadium isn't being built in the city of Los Angeles, it's being built in Inglewood. LA taxpayers aren't involved in this at all, if any fiscal responsibility were to land on taxpayers it will be those folks living in the City of Inglewood. The County of Los Angeles is not involved in the project, although the City of Inglewood is within LA county limits.

The teams playing there will of course be branded as "Los Angeles" to the broad Southland metro area of 15+ Million people (excluding San Diego County), but it doesn't appear to require funding from LA County, and since it's not within LA city limits it has nothing to do with anyone at Los Angeles City Hall.

The new mega-stadium is privately funded. From a recent OC Register story... "The $2.66 billion price tag for the Inglewood stadium includes financing costs. The 70,000-seat venue will be privately funded with personal seat licenses and a $200 million loan from the league’s G-4 stadium program." http://www.ocregister.com/articles/stadium-699371-league-relocation.html

Back to Disney, I had to chuckle when Bob Iger's football plan and future career got shot down by the NFL owners on only the second round of voting. What's Bob gonna do now?

Last edited:

Jws008

Okay. Well The other year Malcolm Smith, a defensive back, was the SB MVP. I know this because I photographed him and it made either SI or one of SI's publications.
Yeah, I know in the years since then that non-QB MVPs have done the ad, but on that original one it was set to be the QBs.

One other thing: Simms even mentions in the book that he would've gotten paid win or lose, though he obviously wouldn't have needed to do the ad at all if Denver had won the game.

Sorry to lead the thread off-topic.

PhotoDave219

Yeah, I know in the years since then that non-QB MVPs have done the ad, but on that original one it was set to be the QBs.

One other thing: Simms even mentions in the book that he would've gotten paid win or lose, though he obviously wouldn't have needed to do the ad at all if Denver had won the game.

Sorry to lead the thread off-topic.

Is this thread ever on topic?

rael ramone

It feels more and more like major Corporations in this day and age sink so much money into evaluating every aspect of the company in an effort to cut costs, but the evaluations cost 5X more than the amount they may save by the end of it all. IF they spent that same money, time and energy into improving their product rather than crazy billion dollar schemes, perhaps they could spend their time counting all the money they made and not have to explain to a BOD why there are doing ridiculous studies and practices to get people to spend more money.

Exploiting your customer to no end can not be considered a model for success.

It's a model of success for those who are employed to do the evaluations.

TalkingHead

Is this thread ever on topic?

Ah, in that case...

If anyone's familiar with the recent social media blowup over the two Fine brothers who, in a fantastically tone-deaf move, tried to copyright the format of their "React" videos...

(Those would be those very basic clips where young kids or adolescents are shown reacting to videos of screwy Twisted Sister music videos from the 80s or whatever.)

I guess they've lost a ton of their followers and subscribers as a result of this, which wasn't helped by a truly boneheaded and patronizing "explanation" video they posted.

So one of the Fine brothers used to work at Epcot as a front-line CM in Attractions in Future World West. Never struck me as terribly funny -- now, this *other* guy who worked there at the same time...he was a natural comic. Guess he didn't jump on the social media bandwagon at the right time.

Anyway, apropos of nothing, what's that line about living long enough to see yourself become a villain?

PhotoDave219

Ah, in that case...

If anyone's familiar with the recent social media blowup over the two Fine brothers who, in a fantastically tone-deaf move, tried to copyright the format of their "React" videos...

(Those would be those very basic clips where young kids or adolescents are shown reacting to videos of screwy Twisted Sister music videos from the 80s or whatever.)

I guess they've lost a ton of their followers and subscribers as a result of this, which wasn't helped by a truly boneheaded and patronizing "explanation" video they posted.

So one of the Fine brothers used to work at Epcot as a front-line CM in Attractions in Future World West. Never struck me as terribly funny -- now, this *other* guy who worked there at the same time...he was a natural comic. Guess he didn't jump on the social media bandwagon at the right time.

Anyway, apropos of nothing, what's that line about living long enough to see yourself become a villain?

Nope, havent seen it. Is this Disney Twinker?

ParentsOf4

It feels more and more like major Corporations in this day and age sink so much money into evaluating every aspect of the company in an effort to cut costs, but the evaluations cost 5X more than the amount they may save by the end of it all. IF they spent that same money, time and energy into improving their product rather than crazy billion dollar schemes, perhaps they could spend their time counting all the money they made and not have to explain to a BOD why there are doing ridiculous studies and practices to get people to spend more money.

Exploiting your customer to no end can not be considered a model for success.
Improving the product takes innovative leadership.

Cutting costs simply takes someone willing to swing an axe. Charging the customer more simply takes someone willing to raise prices.

Sadly, most corporations are full of the latter, not the former. :(

Decades ago, Disney had the first kind of leadership. Now they mostly have the second. :(

FigmentJedi

Ah, in that case...

Copyrighting React videos AND offering a "Licensing deal" where you make reaction videos and they get most of the money.

NearTheEars

You're not alone, I LOVE the new system as well! I truly enjoy walking into MK at 5pm on a Saturday (or whenever) and having my FP selections already signed, sealed, and ready to go. Matter of fact, if I don't have a FP for something, I'm not wasting my time waiting in line. Of course I am a VERY obsessive planner, so that certainly contributes to my enjoyment.

Your second sentence is exactly the same reason why we love it too. But I've said many times now that their plan to keep people in the parks longer backfired big time for a local guests that tour like we do. It has shortened our time in the park drastically, but really has made it a much more enjoyable experience.

I have never actually vacationed at WDW, so I can't speak for guests spending all day for an entire week, though.

Goofyernmost

Your second sentence is exactly the same reason why we love it too. But I've said many times now that their plan to keep people in the parks longer backfired big time for a local guests that tour like we do. It has shortened our time in the park drastically, but really has made it a much more enjoyable experience.

I have never actually vacationed at WDW, so I can't speak for guests spending all day for an entire week, though.
I guess it took me almost 68 years to discover that I have attention deficit disorder. I could no more spend an entire day, open to close, in the park without a break in scenery than willingly shoot myself in the foot. I can't stay at or around WDW for more then 5 days and I haven't spent more then 4 days total touring WDW on any of my trips. That's with no more then two straight days before a different thing has to be done. I get tired, bored and ready to leave by 6 pm if I got there at rope drop and am out of there like a light before the end of fireworks if I get there mid to late morning. Never could, even in my younger years. Yet, I still love to go, just in moderation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom