The Spirited 11th Hour ...

wdwgreek

And people mocked my saying in 2015 that SWL was 5 years away...
5 years, someone bring me my smelling salts, I may pass out. How did it take 1 year to build all of Disneyland and 5 years to build a 11 acre expansion. The answer I presume is stretching costs over the course of many annual budgets, the location and difficulty of timeline working so close to one stage areas, and the money thing again. Sigh :/

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
5 years, someone bring me my smelling salts, I may pass out. How did it take 1 year to build all of Disneyland and 5 years to build a 11 acre expansion. The answer I presume is stretching costs over the course of many annual budgets, the location and difficulty of timeline working so close to one stage areas, and the money thing again. Sigh :/

It's really simple TWDC wants to limit quarterly SPEND in order to please Wall St who is really TWDC's customer these days, The fact that projects cost far more since the construction process is drawn out is lost on the short term Wall St Mentality guys who only care about the next 90 days.

If you look at some of the DL refurbishment pictures during Eisner's days they were indeed bad show but the construction was fast enough so that the customers forgave the intrusions of cranes and cement mixers in full view of the guests.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Can we not make this thread into an Epcot theming retread? Isn't the Frozen thread still alive for that.
Discussing Epcots future and any plans that this new version of WDI may have for it is a far cry from a retread. Its actually more fitting seeing how we know whats happening at HS and AK. How is discussing Epcot any different than discussing Star Wars for the millionth time? If Epcot bothers people, might as well remove AK, HS, MK and any other area of WDW that has theming from the discussion as well. But that would be silly, right? We are grown adults discussing a theme park in an online forum. Do we really need the policing of topics?

Can we not make this thread into another where people ask other people not to discuss things? Sounds like a dumb request, doesnt it? Who cares if the topic of the day is Wa-Wa sandwiches, Cafe Risqe or ESPN's fate. Its all Disney related. Get over it.

Goofyque'

In the meantime, Pandora was shooting over its budget in the swamps, the HK SAR leadership was telling Disney that 'No, we don't want another Buzz Lightyear attraction in our park' and a mess in Shanghai was causing delays in projects around the globe as Disney feverishly sent in reinforcements (I truly wish I could show you some of the photos I have received just in the last month if you think that SDL is ready to roll, despite announcing an opening date).
This confirms what my son was saying. He works in Foreign affairs, and said there is literally nothing there. (at Shanghai) I know they can build fast, but as you say, it certainly looks unlikely for the timeline announced.

asianway

Discussing Epcots future and any plans that this new version of WDI may have for it is a far cry from a retread. Its actually more fitting seeing how we know whats happening at HS and AK. How is discussing Epcot any different than discussing Star Wars for the millionth time? If Epcot bothers people, might as well remove AK, HS, MK and any other area of WDW that has theming from the discussion as well. But that would be silly, right? We are grown adults discussing a theme park in an online forum. Do we really need the policing of topics?

Can we not make this thread into another where people ask other people not to discuss things? Sounds like a dumb request, doesnt it? Who cares if the topic of the day is Wa-Wa sandwiches, Cafe Risqe or ESPN's fate. Its all Disney related. Get over it.
Any of my favorite lifestylers working over at the cafe yet?

Cesar R M

take the scope of Epcot vs the building rates of now.

Cesar R M

Your post offends me! You should remove any mention of Wa Was and Policing! :hilarious:

Cesar R M

This confirms what my son was saying. He works in Foreign affairs, and said there is literally nothing there. (at Shanghai) I know they can build fast, but as you say, it certainly looks unlikely for the timeline announced.
It makes me wonder... what if they open only certain areas of the park or just keep facades and empty buildings as they build... (kinda like Hogsmeade before they finally added all the stores and wand interactive stuff)?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Not defending the five year timeline but comparing building something now to building something back then is a bit questionable. Code requirements, labor laws, costs, etc are so different that it's like comparing oranges to mandarin oranges. Yes they are citrus, but considerably different.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
And also there was a lot less construction regulation in 1954/1955. There's a lot more to deal with in 2016...

MonkeyHead

It makes me wonder... what if they open only certain areas of the park or just keep facades and empty buildings as they build... (kinda like Hogsmeade before they finally added all the stores and wand interactive stuff)?

Um, Hogsmeade opened with everything it has today, other than Honeydukes taking over the former Zonkos space.

Goofyque'

Not defending the five year timeline but comparing building something now to building something back then is a bit questionable. Code requirements, labor laws, costs, etc are so different that it's like comparing oranges to mandarin oranges. Yes they are citrus, but considerably different.

This exactly. Would we now be satisfied with DL small castle, the storybookland ride with nothing but mud on the banks, and my favorite memory of the burro ride in a little circle? Opening of Haunted mansion was announced in1961 for 1963. It actually opened in 1969. Things happened then, and they will happen now.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Where there is a will there is a way, In today's TWDC the WILL to build attractions quickly is lacking

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This exactly. Would we now be satisfied with DL small castle, the storybookland ride with nothing but mud on the banks, and my favorite memory of the burro ride in a little circle? Opening of Haunted mansion was announced in1961 for 1963. It actually opened in 1969. Things happened then, and they will happen now.

The little 'thing' that happened to delay stuff at DL was the 1964 World's Fair where WDP built 4 attractions in just under 18 months and of course Walt's death

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom