The Spirited 11th Hour ...

Goofyernmost

Only because I love gossip, can someone link me to something about the "Lifestyler getting arrested"?
I am not the moral police, but, do yourself a favor and stay out of that massive pile of irrelevant BS. What happened, happened years ago and isn't important to anything anywhere. It's just gossip and never should have been on these boards to begin with. It was just mean and useless justification of hate.

Last edited:

Absimilliard

This reminds me of something about first impressions so it is time for a Spirited Parisian Aside:

Not sure how many here know it but Disney has been on a major rebuilding/renewing/rehabbing kick in Paris once it became clear that they would be able to wrest full control and ownership of Euro Disney, after years of largely letting it languish.

They have redone the mid-level Sequoia Lodge (where I just stayed for the second time in three years) and the budget Santa Fe. And they just completed work on the Newport Bay Club, which basically included a total residing of the buildings from wood (or rotten old wood) to a composite material better able to take the harsh climate.

The resort looks amazing. From the lovely yellow exterior to the brighter reds, blues and golds used in the halls and rooms to the concierge club that has taken the space of the resort's shop (yes, imagine a Disney resort that currently has NO shop at all ... don't worry as they are replacing the current lobby bar with one in the next 18 months, but for now not even a kiosk to sell you a Coke or a collectable pin!)

So, Spirit you ask (you did ask, right?) if things looked so great why do I sense a big BUT coming? Ah, because you know me better than I know myself, my friends.

The problem IS the first impression. Coming in from Lake Disney to the ground level (where the two restaurants have bee redone and look amazing, didn't eat at them because not enough time) you enter through the original 1992 wooden doors. I really, really hope that when the folks at TWDC who monitor me online read this, they send new DLP head Tom Wolber for a walk. The doors and the entrance are ghetto ... still ... like it is 2011 and the doors haven't ever been sanded down and repainted. That is your first impression to a pricey upscale Disney resort that has just come out of a massive two-year rebuild.

Then take a walk down the halls. So bright. So fresh. Even painting the ceilings a sky blue to help brighten what had been a dark and dingy place. Between it and the new carpeting and wall treatments, it looks phenomenal. Just don't look at a door if you are entering a guest room because, apparently, doors do not count in Paris. So brand new halls, brand new rooms ... but 1992-era white doors with gouges in them, uneven surfaces, marks ...they didn't even throw a new coat of white paint on them. They just redid the rooms and halls and pretended the doors didn't exist.

It's all about first impressions, and no matter how nice the new rooms are (and I have seen them, they are quite nice), what you see first would be ghetto doors. And don't even look at doors to CM only areas in the hotel ... they literally are rotting and have chunks of wood missing since 2001.

In my world, we call that a very half-arsed job. They did a 92% perfect job ... and then failed miserably to bring the project home.

Paging Tom Wolber to the thread!

One interesting thing about this Newport refurb is that they finally brought back the 1992 menu to the Yacht Club restaurant. The prices are not the same anymore, but you can order the Surf n Turf and other dishes that dissapeared over time again.

As I pointed out in the other thread, the refurbs looked really good and I was specially impressed by Small World. All the lighting was redone, the sets repainted and the one complaint people had: some overhead animation not working is not due to the park. It is more of a case where the local safety commission has to come look at the work done there and validate it.

That Small World refurb was a major departure from the others before then since WDI from Burbank was in charge and applied real confidenciality to the work site. No pictures of the inside leaked out at all while it was underway. The same thing is going on at Big Thunder Mountain because you will notice this about all the construction pictures: they are all taken from the Phantom Manor doors! No one has access inside to take pictures.

Mike S

This reminds me of something about first impressions so it is time for a Spirited Parisian Aside:

Not sure how many here know it but Disney has been on a major rebuilding/renewing/rehabbing kick in Paris once it became clear that they would be able to wrest full control and ownership of Euro Disney, after years of largely letting it languish.

They have redone the mid-level Sequoia Lodge (where I just stayed for the second time in three years) and the budget Santa Fe. And they just completed work on the Newport Bay Club, which basically included a total residing of the buildings from wood (or rotten old wood) to a composite material better able to take the harsh climate.

The resort looks amazing. From the lovely yellow exterior to the brighter reds, blues and golds used in the halls and rooms to the concierge club that has taken the space of the resort's shop (yes, imagine a Disney resort that currently has NO shop at all ... don't worry as they are replacing the current lobby bar with one in the next 18 months, but for now not even a kiosk to sell you a Coke or a collectable pin!)

So, Spirit you ask (you did ask, right?) if things looked so great why do I sense a big BUT coming? Ah, because you know me better than I know myself, my friends.

The problem IS the first impression. Coming in from Lake Disney to the ground level (where the two restaurants have bee redone and look amazing, didn't eat at them because not enough time) you enter through the original 1992 wooden doors. I really, really hope that when the folks at TWDC who monitor me online read this, they send new DLP head Tom Wolber for a walk. The doors and the entrance are ghetto ... still ... like it is 2011 and the doors haven't ever been sanded down and repainted. That is your first impression to a pricey upscale Disney resort that has just come out of a massive two-year rebuild.

Then take a walk down the halls. So bright. So fresh. Even painting the ceilings a sky blue to help brighten what had been a dark and dingy place. Between it and the new carpeting and wall treatments, it looks phenomenal. Just don't look at a door if you are entering a guest room because, apparently, doors do not count in Paris. So brand new halls, brand new rooms ... but 1992-era white doors with gouges in them, uneven surfaces, marks ...they didn't even throw a new coat of white paint on them. They just redid the rooms and halls and pretended the doors didn't exist.

It's all about first impressions, and no matter how nice the new rooms are (and I have seen them, they are quite nice), what you see first would be ghetto doors. And don't even look at doors to CM only areas in the hotel ... they literally are rotting and have chunks of wood missing since 2001.

In my world, we call that a very half-arsed job. They did a 92% perfect job ... and then failed miserably to bring the project home.

How is that even possible to forget the doors? o_O Either way it'll be interesting to follow the updates in Paris, ghetto doors notwithstanding.
Weird, but 100% true. Where you'd expect screens, there will be far less ...
I just can't wait!!! :D Thankfully I won't have to wait as long as the wait for Star Wars, lol.
Are you kidding me? "Approximately the same as walking from the turnstiles to the castle and back?"

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I used to work at DL back in the seventies, and held an AP for almost two decades. Turnstiles to the hub and back is a cake walk compared to where this garage is being located.

If you've ever stayed at the Residence Inn off Clementine and walked to DL instead of waiting for the hotel shuttle, you'll know what I'm talking about. And anyone unlucky enough to end up parking in the southeast corner of this new garage will experience the Residence Inn Day-Long Hike™ for themselves.

Spirit is correct. Ditching the moving sidewalks is inexcusable. You might not need them on your way to the parks... but you'll certainly appreciate them when you leave! Heaven knows the ones at Uni have been a welcomed energy saver at the end of several exhausting but wonderful visits. :joyfull:
I was able to walk to and from the Motel 6 when I was at Disneyland but everyone is different. They should've kept the moving sidewalks.

alphac2005

Sorry, but there is no good answer to cutting walkways. That's cheap and petty and small. And someone please tell the idiots in the Disney Twitverse, who have nothing better than to DEFEND this, to just let that go. This isn't about being fat and lazy (which most of the fan are anyway, even if they walk RunDisney events so they can obtain the medals) if you need a moving walkway. This is common sense building a facility of this nature at a supposedly world-class destination in 2016. It would be akin to opening a restaurant, but not having AC or working restrooms.

You can be awfully fit and sometimes just want to relax. I run races and do roughly a seven minute mile and at the end of a long day of bringing kids around theme parks, the idea of a moving walkway sounds pretty good at times. You made me laugh, as I've been confused (kind here) when I've seen the vast majority of RunDisney apparel wearing people don't appear to do anything close to the prefix in the term let alone walk. It really is odd what people will do for some trinkets and pay through the nose for it.

We've really gone down the rabbit hole of what would have been a premium product and what grade of quality a given item would be versus today's notion that something that should be a standard item doesn't really need to be. We simply have to be to be laser focused on more share buybacks for the small cabal of investment firms that control the company.

As for the Florida property, if you look at it, we're quickly closing in the history of WDW being of longer in time with lower par quality versus the old standard. Our neighbors that relocated from the West Coast over the summer went to WDW during Christmas and made several interesting observations from the crowds being obnoxious to the Cast Members that looked overworked and hopeless, to what we were told was disgusting food at absurd prices. They have no problem paying for a $15 burger if the quality was high, but I was told that the good ol' buck fifty Costco hot dog and beverage were way better as far as they were concerned and things like a cake with strawberries in it and those given strawberries were frozen with frost on them.

I'm at least realistic that baring an epiphany with how business is conducted by corporations or the theme parks being sold and/or operated by a company that gives a [fill in the blank], things will never return to what they were and it's up to the consumer to decide whether to show up or not.

BlueSkyDriveBy

Witnessing the slow demise of EPCOT is so painful, especially FW. Given the rising interest in STEAM curriculum for K12 classrooms, FW seems like the perfect place to embrace this trend for families. But, no... it's just not sexy enough for Burbank.

I really had hope for some park invigoration when Miles From Tomorrowland hit the cable boxes. Yeah, it's for the little guys. But the show rocks. It's a no-brainer to incorporate elements of this show into MK's TL and even FW. And I'd even take an MFT themed Imagination pavilion over what's there now, as much as I love me the Figment.

EPCOT isn't simply WDW's red-headed stepchild.

It's more like the abandoned Great Dane that outgrew his rotten owner's studio apartment. :(

BrianLo

On an aside, I realized while at DLP one thing that greatly bothers me about SDL: No RR and no Small World.

I have no idea why they left out a RR.

A part of me wonders if every menu decision came down to: "let's pick all the things HKDL does not have and start from there".

It really does not bother me honestly, I know they are quintessential Disney castle experiences - but they've been done five times over already. Plenty of places to experience them, better a completely different take then the copy and paste job HKDL received.

If we are talking about removing those attractions from any park that's different story, but SDL is and should be a clean slate. What is silly is the fact they are still using a station for an entrance with no train on it...

BrianLo

Also speaking of first impressions - I managed to wander through Disney village a few days after visiting DLP and giving you my report, we were catching the TGV back to CDG Rossy.

Now there's a place that has all the design sensibilities of the 90's. It's funny that everyone is talking about Anaheim getting the Springs like redo. Their downtown disney is miles better by comparison.

JDL30

Also speaking of first impressions - I managed to wander through Disney village a few days after visiting DLP and giving you my report, we were catching the TGV back to CDG Rossy.

Now there's a place that has all the design sensibilities of the 90's. It's funny that everyone is talking about Anaheim getting the Springs like redo. Their downtown disney is miles better by comparison.

There's plans to update Paris' Village according to their CEO of Operations:
http://micechat.com/117514-inside-disneyland-paris-meeting-daniel-delcourt-deputy-ceo-operations/
  • -Disney Village is no longer in line with Disney’s vision of an upbeat family place, refurbishment is in the planning stage
I'm guessing they have bigger tasks getting the parks up to scratch first

NearTheEars

Sorry, but there is no good answer to cutting walkways. That's cheap and petty and small. And someone please tell the idiots in the Disney Twitverse, who have nothing better than to DEFEND this, to just let that go. This isn't about being fat and lazy (which most of the fan are anyway, even if they walk RunDisney events so they can obtain the medals) if you need a moving walkway. This is common sense building a facility of this nature at a supposedly world-class destination in 2016. It would be akin to opening a restaurant, but not having AC or working restrooms.

Not trying to defend anything, but aside from inside the airport and the UNI garage, are moving walkways really that common? I think they were a dumb proposal in the first place.

FigmentJedi

Witnessing the slow demise of EPCOT is so painful, especially FW. Given the rising interest in STEAM curriculum for K12 classrooms, FW seems like the perfect place to embrace this trend for families. But, no... it's just not sexy enough for Burbank.

I really had hope for some park invigoration when Miles From Tomorrowland hit the cable boxes. Yeah, it's for the little guys. But the show rocks. It's a no-brainer to incorporate elements of this show into MK's TL and even FW. And I'd even take an MFT themed Imagination pavilion over what's there now, as much as I love me the Figment.

EPCOT isn't simply WDW's red-headed stepchild.

It's more like the abandoned Great Dane that outgrew his rotten owner's studio apartment. :(
I'd say Miles is better suited for a family friendly "Let's make this an actual full pavilion" expansion to Mission Space

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom