The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disneyhead'71

I don't think that Uni's new hotel is going to impact the Disney Deluxes, but I do think that it will impact the Value resorts. People stay at and pay the crazy rates at the Disney Deluxes simply because they like them and have the resources to do it.

People don't stay at Disney's Value Resorts because they love them, they stay there because they are less expensive and they have perks like EMH. I believe that Universal's new Cabana Bay will appeal to a lot of those folks considering it will be considerably less expensive than Disney's Values. And it also has Early Entry into the Universal Parks. The rooms are also larger than the Disney Value Resort's and it has a Lazy River and a cool Bowling Alley.

Last edited:

Longhairbear

I got a call today from DVC, telling me my DVC guide is retiring, and I have a new guide. She introduced herself, and was very pleasant. She asked if I had any questions, or comments concerning my membership with DVC.
I told her we are going to Disneyland this week, for a 3 night, 4 day trip, staying at the Disneyland Hotel, as the DVC villas at the VGC are always booked solid. And then I told her we haven't been to FLA in going on 4 years. I told her we had been taking the exact same vacation for years, as WDW has nothing new to offer, except new DVC locations. And so we stopped going to WDW until there is something new offered, and that we are fine with staying in California using points at DLR.
You know what's coming...her response.
"Have you stayed at Saratoga Springs? Did you use the old path to DTD? They are building a new bridge to DTD, and there is a new bowling alley. We have the new expansion of Fantasyland, and a new Mine Train coaster coming soon. And at DAK there is something we have no details on, but it is an expansion."
I don't blame her, but Disney gave her a gun with blanks to work with.
How pathetic, a new bridge to DTD, bowling opportunities, and an unopened attraction, and non info about something happening at DAK.
Are they effin' serious? To suggest I'd spend money to fly cross country to have the privilege of walking across a new bridge to go bowling?????
She couldn't wait to get off the phone with me. I think I sounded fairly unimpressed to her.

Last edited:

matt9112

Probably 2015. When CineSpec's replacement should also debut.

This uni growth....can it be likened to GDP growth of developing world to the world leaders. ? IE uni can and will grow much faster to a point but in theory will reach a point where rapid growth is less sustainable and R&D is shifted onto the larger operation?

Goofyernmost

Seriously?

As a very very loose straw pole non of the UK Peeps I know (and I know quite a few) who holiday in Orlando stay on property. They can't afford it.
While it is true that many still use offsite, myself included, they filled those rooms with somebody didn't they? Before they built them all the tourists had no place to go except offsite. I don't remember how many rooms Disney alone added to the picture. For some reason 31,000 comes to mind, that would be 31,000 rooms that once were occupied offsite are now empty. Obviously, they didn't all close up and the ones that did were old and in need of first aid, but, who is going to invest that kind of money for a declining market.

EDIT: I found the place where I read that and it was none other then good old wdwmagic.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-world-hotel-rooms.74271/
That number was from 2006 so it is higher then that now.

Funmeister

I don't think so. Disney has never priced based on anyone else. They decide the value that they provide and charge accordingly. Universal could build a hotel out of pure gold and Disney would see themselves as a better value so they will charge whatever people will give them. Universals hotels will do alright, but at the expense of the offsite Orlando/Kissimmee hotels. All you have to do is look around RTE 192 to see the number of hotels that have gone under just since Disney expanded the numbers of rooms they provide. That's who they are competing with, not each other.

Part of the reason Disney created "Good Neighbor" hotels was because of the negative impact on area hotels from expanded Disney room offerings. One other reason (trust me there were many other reasons too) why All-Star phases four and five located across 192 never materialized. There were plans to build an overpass at the end of the rod by music across 192 to build two more phases of All-Star. Enter Good Neighbor strategy where the company felt it could utilize those non-DIsney locations to promote and sell DIsney rather than take their business. Disney saw them as additional ticket outlets and a way to block Universal from setting up shop right outside the gates with Destination Universal.

SirLink

Seriously?

As a very very loose straw pole non of the UK Peeps I know (and I know quite a few) who holiday in Orlando stay on property. They can't afford it.

Most travel agents don't even promote Disney anymore in shops outside the token gesture in the Florida books. Wonder why that is? ;)

jt04

Yes, he is a big boy and capable, yet he left the thread and is not around to be able to defend himself.

Pretty sure he has spies monitoring these boards who can activate the "spirit signal" when needed. So unless he is communing with a monk in an isolated cave high in the Himalayas, the spirit is aware of the magical goings-on around here.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Most travel agents don't even promote Disney anymore in shops outside the token gesture in the Florida books. Wonder why that is? ;)

Backhanders from Universal.

Dont know if its true but have been told Virgin Holidays are offering the new Universal resort with Express pass as per existing hotels.

Goofyernmost

Part of the reason Disney created "Good Neighbor" hotels was because of the negative impact on area hotels from expanded Disney room offerings. One other reason (trust me there were many other reasons too) why All-Star phases four and five located across 192 never materialized. There were plans to build an overpass at the end of the rod by music across 192 to build two more phases of All-Star. Enter Good Neighbor strategy where the company felt it could utilize those non-DIsney locations to promote and sell DIsney rather than take their business. Disney saw them as additional ticket outlets and a way to block Universal from setting up shop right outside the gates with Destination Universal.
That's true, if for no other reason then they just don't have enough rooms for everyone, so why not take a bit of a commission from the outside hotels. Good Neighbor is much more visible at Disneyland then WDW though. Probably because they rely much more on outside hotels due to the lack of rooms onsite. It's easy to tell which ones near WDW are Good Neighbor because they contain more images of Mickey then the Onsite ones do. When I was there around Christmas time, they had a Mickey Wreath in the lobby of the hotel I stayed in.

SirLink

Backhanders from Universal.

Dont know if its true but have been told Virgin Holidays are offering the new Universal resort with Express pass as per existing hotels.

Kinda Lowes makes it an offer a travel agency couldn't refuse, whilst Disney on the other hand, expect a reduction of rooms each company is willing to hold. And a move to more 3-4 star hotels in the Orlando area and even a push to get more Anaheim area hotels sewn up.

71jason

Some random thoughts after a cruise on the Dream that kind of tie into the general themes of past discussions …

· The service really is THAT good. Fast, efficient and friendly. Only exception? The American workers in the port once you disembark. Clueless (over half seemed to be in training), no signage, allowed the lines to get out of control.

· Talking to fellow guests, opinions of WDW run from middling to poor. Crowds the #1 complaint (last week was the one they extended hours), but also a lot of variations on “they could learn a lot from the cruise staff.” Also heard a couple Friday the 13th Villain Party horror stories I hadn’t even heard as a local--my tablemate swore she heard a driver on the radio crying because guests were threatening to kick out his bus's windows to get off. Most guests view Magic Bands primarily as a replacement for door keys (although they are positive about that).

· The new Mickey Mouse cartoons—the Ren & Stimpy meet Mary Blair ones—played on one channel in a loop. Very funny. Also caught the original PotC movie on the pool deck one night; with the overexposure of Capt. Jack and the sequels, I’d forgotten how good that movie truly is. In terms of live shows, "Villains Tonight" is still brilliant and "Believe" remains schmaltzy fanboi kryptonite, but "Golden Mickeys" is seeming a little long in the tooth.

· They have a “beer mug” program—buy it, get 22 oz for the price of 16. It looked just like the shoddy Food & Wine mugs, but I broke down and got one anyway, planning to ditch it when done. Imagine my surprise when I go to lift it and it’s real, heavy glass, not cheap plastic. Later, at Castaway Cay, real silverware and cloth napkins for the outdoor picnic. Did I mention the free poolside fast food that exceeds any theme park quick serve in Orlando (even Krusty Burger)? DCL is not chintzy.

· The new Bahamian rum distillery in Nassau does not distil anything, and does not offer actual Bahamian rum. It’s named after a pirate who, near as I can tell, never visited the mansion that houses it. The premixed cocktails post-tour are $11. I stand by my belief there is no reason to get off the ship in that port.

Finally, I get that MM+ was “inspired” by DCL. But people aren’t in love with the line because they can pay with their room key, or because they can see the densely packed schedule months in advance. It’s because (1) there’s something for every age group as well as things for families to do together, and (2) the service is top notch, beyond anything in the U.S. MM+ is like looking at a Ferrari and deciding painting your cars red will make them sell better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom