The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

luv

Wow, now Cheap Trick becomes the 4th band to pull out of Bands, Brew and BBQ. What a PR nightmare this is for SeaWorld. The thing that irks me is that the only people these bands are really hurting is there own fans. So what are you gonna come play the House of Blues or the Hard Rock and charge people $50-100 to see you and not come close to selling out or offer Groupon's to fill the place up. I would love to know in these online petitions how many people from the Central Florida area signed them. And don't get me started on the hypocrisy of the fact that many of these groups have played SW or Busch before and had no problem taking the money then. Who new that the way Blackfish would really hurt SeaWorld would be artists cancelling concerts which really helps the animals. What a bunch of hypocrites.
It hurts the animals, too.

When Marine Life is in trouble, you won't see the movie makers or the picket-line people coming to the aid of these animals. That is Sea World's job. Sea World pays for it and does it.

When people take money from Sea World, they make it harder to care for animals in the wild who need attention, care and release.

When the movie people buy land, build tanks, buy animal ambulances and care facilities, hire all the appropriate people (including vets, electricians, etc.) and actually HELP the animals, I will give them some credit. As long as they sit there saying "Sea World is bad! Give me your money!", I have no respect for them. That's easy to do, is self-serving and is of no help to any animal. Very PETA-like, honestly.

These people do not care about helping the animals. They care about getting their names known and making money. "Everybody Hate Sea World!" is just what they say to make money. They don't really care about the animals.

They don't help any animals. Sea World does.

njDizFan

Or more significantly... free the cats and dogs in everyone's homes because they are forced to do tricks and be locked in houses in fences
As someone who seems to pride themselves on taking the logical stance on things you know this is not an apt comparison. One is a domesticated animal bred for 1000's of years to thrive in a home. The other is a massive ocean dweller that requires a huge range of free ocean.

Of course I would not expect SW to let go of the already captured Orcas, since they would probably not survive after being caged for so long but there is no need to bring in new Orcas.

jdmdisney99

As someone who seems to pride themselves on taking the logical stance on things you know this is not an apt comparison. One is a domesticated animal bred for 1000's of years to thrive in a home. The other is a massive ocean dweller that requires a huge range of free ocean.

Of course I would not expect SW to let go of the already captured Orcas, since they would probably not survive after being caged for so long but there is no need to bring in new Orcas.
I guess there could be a new species...orcinus domesticus? ;)

flynnibus

Premium Member

The notion they need space to roam is a valid discussion - but independent of what I referring to: I was referring to the opinion/claim:

Now I don't believe that Sea World physically abuses these creatures, but they do emotionally harm them. Orcas are highly intelligent and self-aware. They are forced to perform tricks that they would otherwise not perform. If you remove them from their families, they react the same way you might, and Sea World doesn't seem to care. And it seems to me that no one who actually works at Sea World with these animals has any real education in the sciences other than what Sea World tells them.

If forcing animals to perform tricks they otherwise wouldn't do... remove them from their families... and place them in the care of people with no real education on the animals - we shouldn't have domesticated pets either.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Why I like your posts, we are head to head one certain things. Same side on others. Grudge free.

I'm not setting my pets free :) Just saying if someone justifies we are emotionally distressing and harming animals by holding them up and doing tricks, and taking them from their families... people need to be looking a lot closer to home before picketing Seaworld :)

luv

The notion they need space to roam is a valid discussion - but independent of what I referring to: I was referring to the opinion/claim:

If forcing animals to perform tricks they otherwise wouldn't do... remove them from their families... and place them in the care of people with no real education on the animals - we shouldn't have domesticated pets either.
Truth.

I often make my cat turn around in a circle for her treats. I also dress her up for holidays. She doesn't mind doing the trick for a treat. She's like, "Fine, whatever, there, I turned around. Give me my treat!"

She does not like her Santa outfit, though. I can't even get the little booties on her paws.

Maybe someone will make a movie about my cat!! Ominous music when I take the costume out. Shrieking music as the booties come closer and the cat twists and claws and struggles (in slow-motion) to get away!

Maybe I'll make the movie. Then I can dress up the cat and get paid for highlighting the torture. :)

Cody5242

I got an annual pass for Universal recently and I just got back from my first trip from both parks. I've been to IOA twice since Harry Potter opened and this was my first visit to Universal Studios since 2008. Few pointers:
-Both parks were in tremendous condition
-The Christmas decorations were great but why can't they deck out Hogsmeade? Christmas is a big part of Harry Potter and it's a shame they only put up a few wreaths
-I love the rides at both parks but they really need to build some rides that don't involve video screens
-Universal Team Members were so nice and seemed happy to be there
-There needs to be better live shows. Disney has a huge advantage in this category including nighttime spectaculars
-I still prefer Hollywood Studios over Universal Studios but that will change once Harry Potter phase 2 opens up
Overall I was very impressed with the product that they are offering now and I know it's only going to get better

Skibum1970

Truth.

I often make my cat turn around in a circle for her treats. I also dress her up for holidays. She doesn't mind doing the trick for a treat. She's like, "Fine, whatever, there, I turned around. Give me my treat!"

She does not like her Santa outfit, though. I can't even get the little booties on her paws.

Maybe someone will make a movie about my cat!! Ominous music when I take the costume out. Shrieking music as the booties come closer and the cat twists and claws and struggles (in slow-motion) to get away!

Maybe I'll make the movie. Then I can dress up the cat and get paid for highlighting the torture. :)

Better yet, put tape on your cat's feet. Have a video camera set up first. Uh, I, uh, heard that it's really funny. Um, yeah.

Disneyhead'71

It is a pic I shot from Roger Waters The Wall tour. It is from Comfortably Numb when Roger smashes his fists against the wall and it explodes in a rainbow of colors. It is one of the
most visually stunning moments I have ever seen at a concert of a show that is one of the best I have ever seen.
I saw Waters do the Wall show twice. Once in Tampa and then in Orlando. It is, hands down, the most amazing concert I have ever seen. I am a huge Waters fan and have seen all of his tours starting with The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking.

culturenthrills

I saw Waters do the Wall show twice. Once in Tampa and then in Orlando. It is, hands down, the most amazing concert I have ever seen. I am a huge Waters fan and have seen all of his tours starting with The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking.

I was at the Tampa show and you are right it was one of the most amazing concerts I have ever seen. The visual where awesome and the sound was the best I have ever heard at a concert. I saw the Dark Side of the Moon tour and that was pretty good but I don't think anything will ever top The Wall.

Now the greatest concert I have ever been to will never be topped. That was U2 in Philadelphia a little over a month after 9/11. From the moment they hit the stage the crowd was electric and it was like we were all waiting to release all this emotion we had pent up and it was the most moving, beautiful and amazing concert I have ever experienced. I know nothing will top that night.

Disneyhead'71

I don't know why Disney gets such a bad rap on their ticket prices. It seems that Universal and SeaWorld are in lockstep with them when ever there's an increase.
While admission media prices have skyrocketed, that's not really my issue with WDW. My pet peeve is their resort prices. I find over $600/night for the Poly or over $700/night at the Grand to be beyond ridiculous. Especially since neither of them are anywhere close to being luxury resorts.
Capitalizing on mentally ill people is immoral.

John

No I think Judge Flynni has a point....what about tropical fish, and those tropical birds people keep? Your right man domesticated cats and dogs. But if left to their own they can survive quite well in the "wild" Ever seen a Ferrell cat or dog? Horses...People own all kinds of pets....Emu, Alpaca? You could go on and on. Blackfish is self serving.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
When will Islands of Adventure be getting a night time show?
Don't try to change the subject. We have an important completely useless debate going on about animal rights;)

I only call it useless because nobody is going to change their mind on either side. Kinda like a political debate. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind either or preach about either side. My only question is this: are people just now realizing that Sea World has Whales in captivity. It's kinda public knowledge isn't it. The Whale is in a lot of their advertising. I'm not sure how this documentary suddenly changed things and now it's the "in thing" to bad mouth Sea World. That's the way of things in popular culture.

To answer your original question, I have no idea, but it would be a pretty good idea IMHO.

raymusiccity

While admission media prices have skyrocketed, that's not really my issue with WDW. My pet peeve is their resort prices. I find over $600/night for the Poly or over $700/night at the Grand to be beyond ridiculous. Especially since neither of them are anywhere close to being luxury resorts.
Capitalizing on mentally ill people is immoral.

Don't like it either; but, supply and demand always wins out. Maybe the influx of new Universal resort rooms will make a difference?

Goofyernmost

Don't like it either; but, supply and demand always wins out. Maybe the influx of new Universal resort rooms will make a difference?
I don't think so. Disney has never priced based on anyone else. They decide the value that they provide and charge accordingly. Universal could build a hotel out of pure gold and Disney would see themselves as a better value so they will charge whatever people will give them. Universals hotels will do alright, but at the expense of the offsite Orlando/Kissimmee hotels. All you have to do is look around RTE 192 to see the number of hotels that have gone under just since Disney expanded the numbers of rooms they provide. That's who they are competing with, not each other.

lazyboy97o

I don't think so. Disney has never priced based on anyone else. They decide the value that they provide and charge accordingly. Universal could build a hotel out of pure gold and Disney would see themselves as a better value so they will charge whatever people will give them. Universals hotels will do alright, but at the expense of the offsite Orlando/Kissimmee hotels. All you have to do is look around RTE 192 to see the number of hotels that have gone under just since Disney expanded the numbers of rooms they provide. That's who they are competing with, not each other.
I think there is more at play in regards to business along 192 than just room capacity at Walt Disney World.

Goofyernmost

I think there is more at play in regards to business along 192 than just room capacity at Walt Disney World.
Everything has multiple reasons, but, there is usually a straw that breaks the camel back. Most of the defunct hotels were old, probably original to the WDW opening. They desperately needed upgrading but with the additional rooms being added onsite they felt that it wasn't worthwhile. I know that all the ones I stayed in in the early years (for me) 1983 to 1990 are now either an empty lot or a sad, decaying graveyard. I really hate seeing that. I remember the fun time we had, the laughter of kids unable to wait to see Mickey. Now nothing but weeds and broken glass. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom