The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt04

Look, we all know about your alter ego - super cynic and harbinger of doom on this message board and inane, vapid,super fan commenter on tens of well read blogs across the vast expanse of the internetz - "Do you think I'll get in trouble if I post a picture of myself in front of the skillets in the Rapunzel Rooms?!?!?! I'm so excited for my next trip. BTW, my secret plan to depress attendance is working!".

George hits a home run on his magical 8th anniversary. Congrats.

No detail escapes me. o_O

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
@ParentsOf4 - True DLR fun fact from the end of July. We were staying at one of the good neighbor hotels for 6 days (Desert Palms or something) and were hitting Disney for 4 days and checking out local scenery for two. Anyhow, I had booked a couple of meals (Blue Bayou and Ariel's Grotto). Despite the closeness of the parks, we opted to not get park hoppers. Anyhoo, I realized on the first day that I had confused the dates on a couple of things and had to re-book the meals. I was able to get the same eateries, at reasonable eating times, after my trip had started. In fact, I think we may have eaten at Blue Bayou the night I called to re-organize. Whilst I am babbling about dining, all the counter service restaurants seemed to have silverware and real plates. I swear, I am not making this up.
Anyhoo?

bhg469

She is alive. One of the kids picked her up and she is likely on the bus. ... But if the whole point is surviving the apocalypse to kill that baby would truly be disgusting simply because Kirkman is a disgusting little fanboi weasel who has become a hugely paid 'talent' because of the success of the show -- not his comics. Do you get that I don't like him? I am not alone. Loved how he was ignored for 10 minutes at the start of Talking Dead while the talent sorta pretended he wasn't there and he was seething the entire time (yes, I may know someone who was in the studio Sunday night!:cool:)
I don't see how you can label the the creator of the books a fanboy.. In the books...

SPOILERS AHEAD
She was killed in her mother's arms while she was trying to escape the raid on the prison. This wasnt to fulfill a sick fantasy, this was the reason the people of Woodbury turned on the governor. As far as kirkman, yes he's rich from the show but he wasn't hurting from the success of the books..

I don't know that you know anything beyond the show and are forming an opinion on the diluted plots.

Last edited:

willtravel

So, Disney now has full control over Indiana Jones from Paramount...what next? I see that Paramount will still have some sort of financial interest in future outings of the whipster but what do you think Disney will do with Indy next? BTW Paramount will still own rights to the first four films. Movies? Attractions? Television shows? Thoughts?
All I can think of is Muppets and Roger Rabbit franchise and what they did to them.:(

Tigger1988

And the songs? You're along in that opinion. Every review praises the songs as ready for Broadway.
They're hardly alone in that opinion. The biggest criticism I've seen (from pro critics and regular Joes) has been that the music, other than Let it Go is entirely forgettable. None of these songs come close to Disney Classics.

As I said earlier in the post Disney needs to dump the Lopez team, unless they have an R rated musical in the pipeline.

the.dreamfinder

They're hardly alone in that opinion. The biggest criticism I've seen (from pro critics and regular Joes) has been that the music, other than Let it Go is entirely forgettable. None of these songs come close to Disney Classics.

As I said earlier in the post Disney needs to dump the Lopez team, unless they have an R rated musical in the pipeline.
It's so strange that Avenue Q, I haven't seen Book of Mormon yet, has so many memorable songs (What Do You Do With A BA In English, The Internet is for P***, Shadenfrude, For Now) but Frozen doesn't.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

I must be weird - I find Let It Go, Do You Wanna Build a Snowman, In Summer, Love is an Open Door and For the First Time in Forever as exceedingly memorable - have had them stuck in my head for days.

The Lopez family also wrote the incredible and very memorable score for Finding Nemo at DAK (and the ride in Epcot - I challenge anyone to ride that and not leave with Big Blue World in your head).

DisneyFan 2000

Really? Dump 'em? Is that why I'm hearing Love Is An Open Door, For the First Time (+ reprise), Do You Want To Build a Snowman on a constant loop? The songs were terrific. Sure, they flow better in the context of the movie (whereas Menken and Ashman's numbers could be "radiofied" without much editing needed) but to call them entirely forgettable is entirely baffling in my opinion.

WDWGoof07

I'm not familiar with Avenue Q or The Book of Mormon, but I think the Lopezes have done a great job writing songs for Disney films. I thought all of the songs in Frozen and Winnie the Pooh were excellent and very memorable.

Animaniac93-98

The dishwashers for when MK had real plates and silverware in its counter service eateries are still there apparently. Was one of the sadder Disney-related things I read online in the last few months.

For a company that's so "enviromental", wouldn't it be better to keep re-using the same plates, forks and knives instead of putting all that plastic in the garbage?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just got back from Frozen.

I can totally see how people make the 'broadway' comments.. the music in the first act really feels that way... less so later in the flick.

I make no claims to be a music critic - but I found the music to be decent to good. My only complaint is the music didn't seem to fit the setting and felt a bit too contemporary at times (was it that one (maybe Anna's long song with hanz?? that really stood out?). Doesn't the headline song make you think of Katy Perry's 'Firework'? While I don't see people flocking to buy Frozen soundtracks.. I felt the music was passable for the film.

I'm not saying Disney needed to make a period piece.. but the period setting should be more than the costumes and wall art in a film. I have a special connection with Scandinavia and the film fell a bit short in that connection to me.. except the trader segment. That was well done and matches the cultures quite well. Some of the dialog at times was a bit too contemporary for my tastes.

The character development and delivery of Olaf was phenomenal. They pulled off the comic relief sidekicks without overdoing it or making it feel like the 'formula' like so many of the films since the second golden age have felt. It didn't come off as forced or contrived at all.

I think the film should be a bigger hit than it already is. I found the story engaging, the characters lovable, the visuals great, decent pacing, etc. Best WDFA film I can think of in awhile.. I can feel comfortable with the quoted review tag of 'best film since lion king'. I was pleasantly surprised with Tangled.. and I think Frozen tops it. First animated film in awhile I felt walking out I would have no problem wanting to go back and pay to see again in the theater.

And for another perspective... my 10yr old was taking her friend to the movie. Now, my 10yr is quite sharp.. she is aware of Disney owning Pixar, most Disney activities, etc (way too much Disney channel..) but doesn't follow the company or insider stuff like we do here.. Consider her a very informed customer. Anyhow, on the way out of the theater they were chatting... And she said 'Normally Pixar films are a lot better than the new Disney films... but that one.. that one tops any Pixar movie' - quite a bold recommendation from a 10yr old :)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

I can totally see how people make the 'broadway' comments.. the music in the first act really feels that way... less so later in the flick.

I make no claims to be a music critic - but I found the music to be decent to good. My only complaint is the music didn't seem to fit the setting and felt a bit too contemporary at times (was it that one (maybe Anna's long song with hanz?? that really stood out?). Doesn't the headline song make you think of Katy Perry's 'Firework'? While I don't see people flocking to buy Frozen soundtracks.. I felt the music was passable for the film.

I'm not saying Disney needed to make a period piece.. but the period setting should be more than the costumes and wall art in a film. I have a special connection with Scandinavia and the film fell a bit short in that connection to me.. except the trader segment. That was well done and matches the cultures quite well. Some of the dialog at times was a bit too contemporary for my tastes.

The character development and delivery of Olaf was phenomenal. They pulled off the comic relief sidekicks without overdoing it or making it feel like the 'formula' like so many of the films since the second golden age have felt. It didn't come off as forced or contrived at all.

I think the film should be a bigger hit than it already is. I found the story engaging, the characters lovable, the visuals great, decent pacing, etc. Best WDFA film I can think of in awhile.. I can feel comfortable with the quoted review tag of 'best film since lion king'. I was pleasantly surprised with Tangled.. and I think Frozen tops it. First animated film in awhile I felt walking out I would have no problem wanting to go back and pay to see again in the theater.

And for another perspective... my 10yr old was taking her friend to the movie. Now, my 10yr is quite sharp.. she is aware of Disney owning Pixar, most Disney activities, etc (way too much Disney channel..) but doesn't follow the company or insider stuff like we do here.. Consider her a very informed customer. Anyhow, on the way out of the theater they were chatting... And she said 'Normally Pixar films are a lot better than the new Disney films... but that one.. that one tops any Pixar movie' - quite a bold recommendation from a 10yr old :)

My whole family saw it on Saturday night and we all loved the movie for the same reasons - quality story and quality characters. Interestingly, our opinions were very mixed on the music with the boys (myself and my son) being underwhelmed and the girls really liking it. We probably talked for 15-20 minutes about what a good story it was.

Nubs70

One of my biggest pet peeves about WDW... the idea of sitting indoors, premium priced, and eating with paper plates and plastic forks!!
When I was in Germany, the simple counter service schnitzel food outlet served all their food on real plates with real silverware. We can't do that in the United States of Honey Boo Boo because too many people would outfit their homes with stolen dishware. Like many have said, "This is why we cannot have nice things."

The location was the food court at the Sudring Centre in Paderborn, NRW.

Mickey_777

I too shrugged a bit when Anna used the word "totally" about two or three times during First Time in Forever. I'm guessing she was in the 18-19 year old range which would be appropriate but still...once would have neen fine. There were a couple of other things she said that reminded me moreso of Kristen Bell just as an actress and rolls she's played in other films. As for Olaf...I'll let it slide just cause he was pretty funny at times. Yeah I got the Katy Perry Firework vibe from Let It Go as well.

michmousefan

Can we agree Idina Menzel kicks Demi Lovato's butt?
One of the highlights of the D23 Animation presentation was Idina Menzel singing "Let it Go" live... sorta brought the house down. There are a few snips of the performance on YT but the audio is lousy. From her belting out the song to the light show & stagecraft -- it actually started to "snow" inside the arena -- it was impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom