The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Californian Elitist

TL has been DL's weakest land forever. It's the same in all the parks.. if Space Mountain never existed, just think how hard off all the TL's would have been. Disney has shown they can't keep up with a futuristic vision land... time to try something new.

I understand that, and I have to accept that, but I just think it would be better to use multiple IPs, not just one.

Disneyhead'71

They really should just replace the subs with another Princess M&G that exits through the Princess MegaMart!

That's how we roll down here in Florida!!!! Our most recent expansion (THE LARGEST IN THE MAGIC KINGDOM'S HISTORY!) was where the subs were and we got a Princess Dark Ride, a Princess Coaster, Storytime with a Princess, 2 Princess restaurants, 2 PrincessMarts, and the Princess MegaM&G. And I hear that Epcot's World Showcase is getting Princesslandia. (I believe that is a country somewhere in Europe. I'm not quite sure. I'll have to look it up or something).

Anyways, I bet you left coasters are so jelly. :cat:

Cosmic Commando

I'm actually not sad about the Subs or the fact that the PeopleMover is never coming back. Honestly, I couldn't care less about Nemo and I never got to experience the PM. How can I miss something I never experienced, ya know? Plus, Baxter said it was never coming back a long time ago. He made that pretty clear. I love your alternative Subs idea. It'd be something I'd be genuinely interested in.

What really makes me VERY angry is Autopia's absence and the fact that Disney has just given up on the original concept for Tomorrowland. They won't even TRY to come up with good attractions that fit the original theme! I understand it's kind of hard to keep up with it because things are always evolving, rapidly, but Tomorrowland could really work, if they wanted it to. Speaking of that, why does Innoventions still have products up on display from the late 90's/early 2000's? I hate Innoventions and I hope that's on the chopping block. And Autopia... I'm going to be really, really upset about that one. I understand it's no longer futuristic, but it's still a great attraction. Give it some updates and it'll be fine. I like the Cars Land Autopia idea, but Tomorrowland will no longer have any opening day attractions left. Maybe Astro Orbitor could be considered opening day (Rocket Jets).

If IPs absolutely must go into Tomorrowland, why not use multiple ones? Why does one, big chunk of the park have to be completely themed to Star Wars? How about using multiple ideas? Tron, Iron Man? I understand the Iron Man idea is shelved for the possible third gate, but how likely is that going to happen? This is all a bunch of BS and I can't wait for the DL fan reactions and the story in the LA Times.
If there's going to be one land that doesn't have any opening day attractions left, shouldn't it be Tomorrowland? ;)

Autopia bugs me a little bit, because if they cared, it could be taken into the "interplanetary spaceport" concept that WDW's Tomorrowland '94 has/had. They made Tomorrowland into its own futuristic city: a convention center, expo hall, SM was the airport, Buzz is the recruiting center for Star Command, the TTA was the local mass transit, etc. Some of that works better than other parts, but it was there. Autopia could be a drive out in the country on whatever crazy planet you're on. Get weird looking real plants and trees. They can dye artificial turf any color you want and it looks much more like real grass than the old Astroturf. Have broken down flying saucers on the side of the road, interstellar tourist traps, local fauna, etc. It can all be static figures; it would still work. Autopia is a drive out in the country... just on another planet.

Is Buzz supposed to be on the chopping block with all of this Star Wars stuff coming in? As long as there's something that's not Star Wars, it at least leaves the door open for other franchises or original ideas to come in.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But leaving a few pockets of other attractions hurts that singular vision.

But they are not spread out in DL.. they could work it and make it transition. I'd be more curious what the concept is around the backside to the Matterhorn side. Do they finally go around and use the motoboat area?

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's true.

Of any of Disney's properties... short of 'toon town' its the one that has the best chance of carrying a full land IMO. But it's all about execution... do they build immersive environments.. or just a collection of themed attractions? Time will tell...

I'm not going to believe it's gonna happen until the wrecking ball is on site. DHS needed this more than DLs TL and that didn't happen yet even tho people said it was done... and DL still has all that space in the festival area they can use. DL isn't hurting for attractions... I'm having a hard time thinking they need to 'throw out' the subs and autopia AND challenge such a DL tradition. A lot of reasons 'not' to do this. If they want to leverage these brands.. why not wait till the mythical 3rd gate where you can use marvel and starwars unabated? I remain skeptical.

Californian Elitist

If there's going to be one land that doesn't have any opening day attractions left, shouldn't it be Tomorrowland? ;)

True, but Autopia should be an exception.:D

Autopia bugs me a little bit, because if they cared, it could be taken into the "interplanetary spaceport" concept that WDW's Tomorrowland '94 has/had. They made Tomorrowland into its own futuristic city: a convention center, expo hall, SM was the airport, Buzz is the recruiting center for Star Command, the TTA was the local mass transit, etc. Some of that works better than other parts, but it was there. Autopia could be a drive out in the country on whatever crazy planet you're on. Get weird looking real plants and trees. They can dye artificial turf any color you want and it looks much more like real grass than the old Astroturf. Have broken down flying saucers on the side of the road, interstellar tourist traps, local fauna, etc. It can all be static figures; it would still work. Autopia is a drive out in the country... just on another planet.

Yes!

Is Buzz supposed to be on the chopping block with all of this Star Wars stuff coming in? As long as there's something that's not Star Wars, it at least leaves the door open for other franchises or original ideas to come in.

I don't think Buzz is going anywhere.

doctornick

But leaving a few pockets of other attractions hurts that singular vision.

That's the thing. If Star Wars was going to be in a compact corner of DL's TL, then I could see it working okay, but having stuff like Buzz, Space, the Astro Orbitor, etc in between these Star Wars attractions seems like it would be incongruous. Are they going to try to theme them to Star Wars as well (I don't see how they could very effectively without significant changes and Buzz would certainly be a lost cause)?

doctornick

why not wait till the mythical 3rd gate where you can use marvel and starwars unabated? I remain skeptical.

Yeah, if you are going to do a third gate anyway, why not keep Star Wars and Marvel for that purpose and even add on a west coast Avatar (assuming the finished product is received well in Florida) and then fill out as needed for an "Action/Adventure" concept park.

djlaosc

That's the thing. If Star Wars was going to be in a compact corner of DL's TL, then I could see it working okay, but having stuff like Buzz, Space, the Astro Orbitor, etc in between these Star Wars attractions seems like it would be incongruous. Are they going to try to theme them to Star Wars as well (I don't see how they could very effectively without significant changes and Buzz would certainly be a lost cause)?

Yeah, looking at a Disneyland map, the location of Star Tours and Captain EO is unfortunate.

Innoventions, Subs and Autopia would give them a nice area to work with (and one that could be separated by what I'm guessing is the Rocket Rods/Peoplemover track loop?) but Captain EO and Star Tours would not be included in that area.

So, unless they moved Star Tours and added something non-Star Wars to replace Captain EO (wasn't it supposed to be MILF at one point before Michael Jackson died?, but I know that it doesn't fit in Tomorrowland and of course the plan for Monsters Inc. in DCA), then that wouldn't work.

doctornick

I thought they were going to use Pizza Planet and a new building too, or has that been cut?
Yes, I'm kind of curious if DLP will actually be getting a Star Wars makeover and, if so, what is the scope and timeframe? That was the first park that was purposed to get it -- and it was planned before the Lucasfilm purchase -- but I wonder if it was deep sixed due to an unwillingness to invest more in DLP.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I thought they were going to use Pizza Planet and a new building too, or has that been cut?
Pizza Planet was a rumour, being a seasonal prefab building beyond the berm. It does however occupy an underpass of the railroad leading to an expansion pad.

Contrary to popular belief, it is planned to invest in DLP both with new builds and refurbs post Rat.

britain

While I have a tender spot in my heart for the subs, I'm super excited about this plan as long as they lay really good detailing into it all.

Not only would putting Autopia in Carsland be perfect, I can imagine the ewok village being a lot like Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. Doing that would free up RRCCT for a new attraction.

Buzz was already sort of Pixar's parody of Star Wars. It would fit in better if it weren't so "huge batteries and toys" themed, but whatever. Still fits better than Monsters Inc.

I do wonder what to do with the nostalgia-heavy upcoming Tomorrowland film. I saw that they just were filming at WDW's Carousel of Progress. Since any SW enhancements for WDW will be going to DHS, it looks like (surprisingly) the MK Tomorrowland is going to be the last hope for anything retro/Walt related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom