The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDW1974

Original Poster
How-the-heck else are we going to see overly processed pictures of Hong Kong DL that look nothing like reality?

I truly like what Tom does (I get hate from friends for this!) He isn't taking photos of what exists. He is taking photos of what exists and making art out of them. You either like it or you don't. I do. I've actually told some people at Disney to hire him because at the very least he could put together better souvenirs guides and even stock PR pics than what Disney's own people do.

And it isn't exactly a secret that the DPB pays him (crazy kids are at the Park Hyatt) for his stuff and arranges these dawn photo shots.

I often wonder if that's why he never makes it over to UNI, but doesn't miss a LTM event etc

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well I don't know about you, but I just love to be told all about a new movie or video game through the eyes of some irritating little blogger. They are so fair and balanced I do not think you could ask for anything more.

It is interesting though how having "media" access to the parks not only gets you a free cruise but also gets you free "review copies" of movies and video games. The gifts just keep on coming! Life for Brigante and co must be good.

Oh, c'mon, doncha know it is hard work?

GiveMeTheMusic

World of Color is such a dazzling piece of technology that it's impressive even if you think the show isn't as good as it ought to be.

As TP2000 said, they essentially went for epic and threw cohesiveness and variation out the window. I actually like World of Color better in its quiet moments, such as the original show's opening. Or previous years' Holiday Prep and Landing tag, which started gently with Nat King Cole...and then the whole show melted into World of Color. It was really, really beautiful.

This show was just bombastic from beginning to end. I don't blame them, they wanted to show off all the new technology they added and they went for it. Some segments were superb. The Around the World Small World sequence, for instance. And the Chinese Dance with the Little Green Men is the best, wittiest thing the entire Pixar company has done in years.

I just wish there were more of the "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" type warm moments that make you want to snuggle a loved one, and not the banal bellowing of "BEAUTIFUL, WONDERFUL, MAGICAL..." which is cringe inducing.

Believe it or not, I think this show has more room to grow. With even more ways to incorporate the Paradise Pier surroundings and maybe some new fountains. Imagine that.

I think the intent was to provide a diametrically different offering to Believe In Holiday Magic at Disneyland, which is very much about the emotional/quiet side of the holidays with lots of sentimentality. While I agree with your points about the softer side of WOC, I don't mind having the Christmas show be so big and bombastic, as it gives variety to the resort's holiday offerings. I need to go back to see the flogo snowflake effect; it didn't work on the premiere night.

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, Autopia and the subs would be disappearing? It will be interesting to see how that would play out with longtime guests...

Would this involve the shortening of the monorail/removal of loops that was suggested?

Still trying to get it all nailed down, but it appears the monorail won't be touched.

And, yes, I don't think those removals will go down easy with the locals. Basically, removing a cornerstone of Walt's park, the concept of Tomorrowland for a sci-fi fantasy is also going to be an issue with many folks. It will be the largest fundamental change to DL's identity in its history.

BrianLo

Spirit, what does that mean for the Monsters project in DCA, on the back burner again or still moving forward?

nytimez

Still trying to get it all nailed down, but it appears the monorail won't be touched.

And, yes, I don't think those removals will go down easy with the locals. Basically, removing a cornerstone of Walt's park, the concept of Tomorrowland for a sci-fi fantasy is also going to be an issue with many folks. It will be the largest fundamental change to DL's identity in its history.

Also, the Ewok forest, if that's indeed the plan, is essentially the NorCal Redwood groves (filmed in one, too, I believe). It's not a unique, exciting or exotic destination. The least interesting (and least futuristic) of all possible Star Wars environments, IMO, and the one that most closely resembles what many locals have already seen dozens of times.

In other words, perhaps a bit of the California Adventure problem - giving people environments that aren't very interesting to the average visitor.

On the other hand, the Ewok forest is probably the cheapest of all Star Wars environments to replicate (except for maybe the sand dunes of Tatooine)...

Last edited:

Cody5242

Spirited Star Wars News:

(for DLR)

Project appears to be finalized and Miceage/Dusty/Al looks like they got it right. Basically all of Tomorrowland with the exception of Buzz, Space Mountain, Star Tours (naturally) and the monorail will be leaving as part of a massive reskinning of the land. Ewoks and their forest home will take over the sub lagoon/Autopia area.

multiple attractions, dining and retail will be part of this massive project, which is scheduled to begin late in the 60th Anniversary celebration (2015-2016).

As for WDW, don't read anything into the above as of yet.
Construction won't begin until 2015-2016 for DL?

TP2000

Spirited Star Wars News: (for DLR)
Project appears to be finalized and Miceage/Dusty/Al looks like they got it right. Basically all of Tomorrowland with the exception of Buzz, Space Mountain, Star Tours (naturally) and the monorail will be leaving as part of a massive reskinning of the land. Ewoks and their forest home will take over the sub lagoon/Autopia area.

Multiple attractions, dining and retail will be part of this massive project, which is scheduled to begin late in the 60th Anniversary celebration (2015-2016).

Well, there's a nice little topic to discuss around the Thanksgiving table this year.

Funny how Al Lutz and the Miceage crew get the big ones like this so right, when no one else was talking about it or could only parrot what Miceage had just said. I wonder what the status of Monstropolis for DCA is? Another Lutz/Miceage exclusive rumor.

yeti

Well, there's a nice little topic to discuss around the Thanksgiving table this year.

Funny how Al Lutz and the Miceage crew get the big ones like this so right, when no one else was talking about it or could only parrot what Miceage had just said. I wonder what the status of Monstropolis for DCA is? Another Lutz/Miceage exclusive rumor.

I would assume they're sticking with it. The plan was always to have both.

aladdin2007

WDW1974 said:
Worse.

A Disney Princesses Meet and Greet (think EPCOT version of what just opened at MK with Frozen characters leading the way.

No, I am not kidding.
ugh! Come on. Thanks for the info though

Agree, is this all they can do anymore? MK already has a princess pavilion so to speak, now epcot will too? Welcome to princess-cot...... Whats wrong with using the Odyssy for this if they must add more princess stuff.

Californian Elitist

I hate Iger for this. I really do. Ruining a classic.

Cody5242

World of Color Winter Dreams was probably the most beautiful show I've ever seen! I have to go to Disneyland soon and it's looking like I will be this summer! Fingers crossed

danlb_2000

Premium Member
WDW1974 said:
Worse.

A Disney Princesses Meet and Greet (think EPCOT version of what just opened at MK with Frozen characters leading the way.

No, I am not kidding.

Agree, is this all they can do anymore? MK already has a princess pavilion so to speak, now epcot will too? Welcome to princess-cot...... Whats wrong with using the Odyssy for this if they must add more princess stuff.

Epcot already has a the character spot in Future World don't really need Odyssey. Personally when it comes to World Showcase I like the characters meeting in their corresponding countries, Aladdin in Morocco, Alice and Pooh in England, etc.

aladdin2007

Burbank's biggest concern with WDW, beyond the billiion dollar boondoggle that is NGE, is capacity. They think, erroneously, that New Fantasyland solved that at MK. EPCOT has plenty of space, but much of it is dead. And that makes Soarin crazy popular. Now, with MM+, people can pretty much show up and have no chance at getting a FP. Something had to give. This is the cheapest possible solution.

Soarin Over the World will come to EPCOT. Not sure of a timeline, but I'll bet that one of SDL's signature attractions opens in the US resorts before it does in China, much like PhilharMagic being plucked from HKDL.

I was looking on google earth, I dont see how they will add another big building of that size unless this means the demise of imagination and its show building? IF soarin is to have its own entrances/exits outside of the Land there doesnt look like all that much room back there or inbetween for that type of setup without either using all or part imaginations space in some way, or doing away with it all together. Im just trying to place the possible new layout. So is this why imagination was scheduled to close?

Last edited:

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I was looking on google earth, I dont see how they will add another big building of that size unless this means the demise of imagination and its show building? IF soarin is to have its own entrances/exits outside of the Land there doesnt look like all that much room back there or inbetween for that type of setup without either using all or part imaginations space in some way, or doing away with it all together. Im just trying to place the possible new layout. So is this why imagination was scheduled to close?
If TDO wanted, TWO more theaters could be added adjacent to the current theaters, to the west. The same entry lines including down ramps, could be used. At the bottom of each current ramp, the new gates would be constructed on the opposite sides. Exits to the west, then ramps proceeding to the north then turning east, around the northern most theaters, to connect to the current exit. Plenty of room without touching Imagination.

aladdin2007

If TDO wanted, TWO more theaters could be added adjacent to the current theaters, to the west. The same entry lines including down ramps, could be used. At the bottom of each current ramp, the new gates would be constructed on the opposite sides. Exits to the west, then ramps proceeding to the north then turning east, around the northern most theaters, to connect to the current exit. Plenty of room without touching Imagination.

gotcha, it just looks so cramped though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom