The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
With MM+/Next Gen, Is anyone really shocked with the failures of the multiple IT contractors? (Heard a rumor that some of the outsourcing was overseas; can anyone confirm or deny it?)

This is the same company that brought you Go.Com and many failed internet ventures.

Not surprised multiple failures are inevitable when you have a weak IT team without the technical depth to oversee all aspects of system development. Disney IT consists largely of project managers but there is no strong internal technical group to perform QA on the contracted work product.

Overseas outsourcing is cheaper (in Dollars) so it would surprise me if Disney DID NOT use a overseas outsourcer to write the bulk of the code for this system.

Key is DIsney fundamentally does not GET technology, Perhaps Spirit can confirm but I would not be surprised if Disney was the type of organization where the executive assistants PRINT OUT emails and web pages for the executives.

In companies like this the exec's are truly surprised when the public is underwhelmed with system performance because they have NEVER USED the system.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't give Jason credit for much of anything, Martin. He is a weak reporter that largely rewrites press releases.

So what? He finally copied everything I -- and others -- have been saying here and elsewhere and the Sentinel labels it an exclusive? And where the eff has he been as the New York Times scoops him on his own TWO beats and he doesn't even follow up with anything on the Marvel gambling issue.

Weak.
Oh indeed. I wasn't aiming directly at Gracia. More that the fact that Magic Bands and MM+ arn't as magical as they want everyone to believe is being written about out loud.

I'll second your JII info too. Don't wanna say I told you so ;)

See you in DCA. Or DLP. Or on a boat. Or the far east. Or up I-4.

Last edited:

The Empress Lilly

Bloody hell.

Just when you think it couldn't possibly get worse.

EPCOT without Figment, without Imagination (lower case and upper case). Princesses in, Figment out. They say that the biggest fantasy of unimaginative people is being able to fly. So why not, give them another dusty imax with seats without a floor and a four minute Best of California YouTube video and the rubes are happy with their Epcot. Besides, it's off to World Barcase to get drunk, its past four o'clock!

aladdin2007

Not much time, been a busy weekend. But did get a call from someone trusted who told me more disheartening news.

Imagination will still be closing in 2014, but not the original January 2nd date. HOWEVER, right now it will be closed simply go save on labor and maintenance ... Although plans exist for a thorough redo of the pavilion the current plan is to make up some LIE to foist upon folks and to sit back and let the building rot a la WoL.

If you care at all about the attraction's past or future, I urge you to contact Erin Youngs, George Kalogridis and Meg Crofton and express your displeasure. Once it is shut down, you are too late.

I figured this was exactly what they wanted to do. Another shuttered pavilion for good yet they can build more princess crap. This is the time then folks to get letters sent out for sure. Though personally I think erin youngs is a waste of time, but letters to George and also Staggs as well would be a good idea. Let Cali read some of the backlash who knows if it would help or not but it couldnt hurt. I sense a save imagination campaign starting. Time to be heard now more than ever.

alphac2005

there is plenty of room and, no, imagination's situation has NOTHING to do with this and everything to do with $$$$ ...apparently, WDW just isn't making enough.

WDW can continue to not "make enough" and I'll continue to not give them a cent until some magical epiphany hits this bi-polar management team. Your read continue to be spot on. CA spend, spend, spend, they'll come and spend money with us. FL, spend on timeshares and screw the rest. Shuttering Imagination? At what point will people stop throwing money at these clowns? Two closed pavilions in Epcot, Trebek's 'stache circa mid-90s, lousy CGI at M:S... I give up. I'll go visit the real locales instead of the international village of shops and dining at World Showcase.

alphac2005

At least we've turned the corner around here and it's no longer a case of Stockholm Syndrome, which was the case for many years.... It seems like the construct of a letter seems to put any of the writers in the Stockholm-zone, though, unless they are blunt and honest about the disaster that WDW management and their decisions have become.

"Dear Georgie K.,
Please don't shutter Journey into Imagination with Figment, which is a substantially lesser product than the original, but we're so desperate to at least have an attraction in there, it's now great compared to nothing!"

The ultimate example of @KevinYee 's notion of Declining by Degrees. Now, we're supposed to just be happy that something is in there, excuse me, open, even though it's universally panned as awful.

Radok Block

We were planning on doing Epcot for my upcoming milestone b-day, but we're not going to bother anymore. It's just too depressing and I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

lazyboy97o

Maybe I've just become too pessimistic, but what would writing really accomplish in regards to the Imagination Pavilion? Before an announcement they'll just deny it is closing. Then they'll deny it is closing forever. At best, they're convinced people love the current attraction.

aladdin2007

Maybe I've just become too pessimistic, but what would writing really accomplish in regards to the Imagination Pavilion? Before an announcement they'll just deny it is closing. Then they'll deny it is closing forever. At best, they're convinced people love the current attraction.

Probably nothing, but like spirit said once it closes its too late, so now is the time to make voices heard. A physical letter is better than just message posts on here, so it couldnt hurt either, though I guess if someone started a big ol petition could get attention. :(

Goofyernmost

Do we even want to beg them to keep this version open? They may get the wrong idea.
You know, I'm getting to the point of I just don't care anymore. Disney is obviously filling their ranks with brain dead kids, that have no understanding about people or how to run a business such as this. I have to question myself as to why I think I should remain loyal to a place that once cared but no longer does. The sad thing is that I still have 6 days left on my non-expiration ticket, and I do NOT want to give Disney that money flat out, I want something in return, so I will use it. I might try a short trip the first week in January and then another shorter one when the Mine Train opens and then I will no longer buy in advance. I may not buy at all unless I see something that makes me think that I count for anything.

I'm actually sad that I got to see Epcot when it was great. Now I know what is missing. However, no matter what was there before is totally irrelevant because even if this is a first trip, if you look around and see two pavilions closed a huge restaurant empty and the remaining attractions, nothing but fluff. It will not leave the same impression that we got in the 80's...so is this the beginning of the end of Disney as we know it. Sadly, I think it is very definitely trending in that direction.

They will still continue to draw people in the foreseeable future, but the degree of loyalty will decline and at some point will probably no longer be a right of passage that it currently is. I guess I'm old enough that I won't see that happen, but, when I look back at how much I have spent on Disney Vacations just in the last 12 years, I don't even want to know how much the previous 18 added up to. I guess that they don't care if they lose that much, but, I care that I spent that much and can control future expenditures. Not a threat, just a reality.

Last edited:

Lee

Adventurer
Wow...
Life keeps me busy for a week or so and I miss so much.....stuff.

Star Wars in Disneyland? I was hoping they wouldn't go that route.
Frozen? Frozen what?
Princesses in World Showcase? Shoulda seen it coming.
MyTragic taking over a chunk of Sid's? I just threw up a little...
Imagination closing? Fine.
But, to save money instead of for a makeover? Somebody needs to be fired.
FP+ tiers? I knew things were only going to get worse.

*sigh* I need a cruise. And a trip to Disneyland.

gonnichi

I can now see why this area of Epcot is called Future World. The present state of the park is so bad everyone walks around Future World thinking I wonder what the Future of Wonders of Life might be like, I wonder what the Future of the Odyssey restaurant might be like , I wonder what the Future of the Imagination ride might be like , I wonder what the Future of Innoventions might be like, I wonder what the future of the Universe of Energy might be like. I wonder what the Future of the upstairs area of Image works might be like, I wonder what the Future of the Magic Eye Theater might be like. This is so depressing.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
You know, I'm getting to the point of I just don't care anymore. Disney is obviously filling there ranks with brain dead kids, that have no understanding about people or how to run a business such as this. I have to question myself as to why I think I should remain loyal to a place that once cared but no longer does. The sad thing is that I still have 6 days left on my non-expiration ticket, and I do NOT want to give Disney that money flat out, I want something in return, so I will use it. I might try a short trip the first week in January and then another shorter one when the Mine Train opens and then I will no longer buy in advance. I may not buy at all unless I see something that makes me think that I count for anything.

I'm actually sad that I got to see Epcot when it was great. Now I know what is missing. However, no matter what was there before is totally irrelevant because even if this is a first trip, if you look around and see two pavilions closed a huge restaurant empty and the remaining attractions, nothing but fluff. It will not leave the same impression that we got in the 80's...so is this the beginning of the end of Disney as we know it. Sadly, I think it is very definitely trending in that direction.

They will still continue to draw people in the foreseeable future, but the degree of loyalty will decline and at some point will probably no longer be a right of passage that it currently is. I guess I'm old enough that I won't see that happen, but, when I look back at how much I have spent on Disney Vacations just in the last 12 years, I don't even want to know how much the previous 18 added up to. I guess that they don't care if they lose that much, but, I care that I spent that much and can control future expenditures. Not a threat, just a reality.

Culture of abandonment writ large - Imagination probably costs 3-5K per day to operate the majority being electricity, But shutting it down will 'save' 1.825 Million (5K per day x 365.25). Sounds like someone needs some 'savings' to meet their bonus target. But a Princess Meet-n-Grope probably costs 5-600/day and stick a FP- on it and attraction count remains the same with a 10:1 cost reduction Brilliant - lets replace all the rides and replace with Princess Meet-n-Grope's

the.dreamfinder

Culture of abandonment writ large - Imagination probably costs 3-5K per day to operate the majority being electricity, But shutting it down will 'save' 1.825 Million (5K per day x 365.25). Sounds like someone needs some 'savings' to meet their bonus target. But a Princess Meet-n-Grope probably costs 5-600/day and stick a FP- on it and attraction count remains the same with a 10:1 cost reduction Brilliant - lets replace all the rides and replace with Princess Meet-n-Grope's
Those meet and greets are quite expensive, but they make so much money on merch it makes up for the difference.

John

The closing of Imagination is just another sign of the direction in which Disney is going. It is one of the last attractions where you might have to use your brain to enjoy. Is it what it once was? No....Disney wants you to go from attraction to attraction with out having to think at all. Be here at 11:15....be here at 1:35 etc. We will allow you to eat at 2:45 and 6:25. Not only is there a "declining by degrees" there is a dumbing down by degrees. Don't be surprised if Living with the land isn't on the chopping block somewhere down the line. Anything remotely educational has no place in todays WDW Name the last new educational attraction that was installed? Mission Space?...HA! Nothing educational about that....Sorin'? A travel publicity film for California in a IMAX theater. EPCOT was supposed to inspire. But oh nooooo what has caused all the friction around the blue pages lately? How we are not supposed to notice these things.....How we do nothing but complain. Magic is full of D&Gers....The truth is people....WDW is still drawing and making money. TDO and Disney does not see a reason to change course here. Like others have said....let your voice be heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom