The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSoxNo1

Not when last I heard, but I would surmise they are very close at this point.
The decision making process for how to fix Hollywood Studios began with real rumors as follows:
August 28, 2012: Whylightbulb posts on WDWMagic about Cars Land, that post is removed rather quickly
February 5, 2013: "Al Lutz" reports that an accelerated timeline for Cars Land is expected and it should open in 2015/2016.
Through May, 2013: Different reports that DHS expansion would be anchored by an E-ticket that isn't Radiator Springs Racers
June 4, 2013: Mice Age talks about a potential $1 billion level+ investment in Hollywood Studios to a more modest number and the focus will be Star Wars or Cars
August 9-11, 2013: The D23 Expo features a display of crates that say "Orange Harvest" with not so subtle references to Star Wars Content coming to the stateside parks.

So we're at about the 15 month mark for real rumors on Hollywood Studios content. For a similar time frame, Transformers went from rumor to opening in 14 months. Just saying...

RSoxNo1

Spirited WDW NEWS:

Apparently, I was wrong about EPCOT and new things. Two big ones are on the way.

Yep, look for a third theater coming to Soarin (to make the eyesore even larger) and that expansion pad between Mexico and Norway?

Something is coming there as well.

P.S. May have some more news soon .Checking some info out.
Wow, I'm absolutely shocked about the Soarin' third theater. That was mentioned as part of really early Next Gen talk.

RSoxNo1

I just saw it tonight! I'm still wowed, and I'm a grumpy old man who doesn't get into the Christmas spirit until December 20th. But Winter Dreams is even better than the regular World Of Color, which was already popular.

This little 2 minute clip of the finale' sums it all up nicely. You just have to imagine this on an epic scale about 300 feet wide and 200 feet tall as you watch your computer screen. (And realize there's snow falling on the audience in this segment that doesn't show up on this amateur video)

If this isn't a Grand Finale', I don't know what is!

Did they hand out Glow with the Show Ears again?

choco choco

Anyone seen World of Color Winter Dreams?

All new digital projectors, hundreds of new LED fixtures and infrastructure and brand new moving head lighting?

On an acclaimed show that's only three years old. That's how you keep things fresh.

World of Color is such a dazzling piece of technology that it's impressive even if you think the show isn't as good as it ought to be.

As TP2000 said, they essentially went for epic and threw cohesiveness and variation out the window. I actually like World of Color better in its quiet moments, such as the original show's opening. Or previous years' Holiday Prep and Landing tag, which started gently with Nat King Cole...and then the whole show melted into World of Color. It was really, really beautiful.

This show was just bombastic from beginning to end. I don't blame them, they wanted to show off all the new technology they added and they went for it. Some segments were superb. The Around the World Small World sequence, for instance. And the Chinese Dance with the Little Green Men is the best, wittiest thing the entire Pixar company has done in years.

I just wish there were more of the "chestnuts roasting on an open fire" type warm moments that make you want to snuggle a loved one, and not the banal bellowing of "BEAUTIFUL, WONDERFUL, MAGICAL..." which is cringe inducing.

Believe it or not, I think this show has more room to grow. With even more ways to incorporate the Paradise Pier surroundings and maybe some new fountains. Imagine that.

cheezbat

The decision making process for how to fix Hollywood Studios began with real rumors as follows:
August 28, 2012: Whylightbulb posts on WDWMagic about Cars Land, that post is removed rather quickly
February 5, 2013: "Al Lutz" reports that an accelerated timeline for Cars Land is expected and it should open in 2015/2016.
Through May, 2013: Different reports that DHS expansion would be anchored by an E-ticket that isn't Radiator Springs Racers
June 4, 2013: Mice Age talks about a potential $1 billion level+ investment in Hollywood Studios to a more modest number and the focus will be Star Wars or Cars
August 9-11, 2013: The D23 Expo features a display of crates that say "Orange Harvest" with not so subtle references to Star Wars Content coming to the stateside parks.

So we're at about the 15 month mark for real rumors on Hollywood Studios content. For a similar time frame, Transformers went from rumor to opening in 14 months. Just saying...

And like with practically every project at WDW, sounds like the project scope has changed quite drastically and been cutback.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by it, but I was seriously hoping for a solid DHS expansion/redo. It needs it badly.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It is always a good weekend when someone makes Disney dining reservations for you and they are for an international park ...

What made me happier? Getting my Mickey Monitor in the mail box or those gift cards, yeah ...let me think.

Why am I watching Maryland-Virginia Tech game?

My beautiful toaster didn't last very long.

Tell me this: if Florida is the Sunshine State, how come it seems like it is always cloudy here?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Star Wars News:

(for DLR)

Project appears to be finalized and Miceage/Dusty/Al looks like they got it right. Basically all of Tomorrowland with the exception of Buzz, Space Mountain, Star Tours (naturally) and the monorail will be leaving as part of a massive reskinning of the land. Ewoks and their forest home will take over the sub lagoon/Autopia area.

multiple attractions, dining and retail will be part of this massive project, which is scheduled to begin late in the 60th Anniversary celebration (2015-2016).

As for WDW, don't read anything into the above as of yet.

twebber55

It is always a good weekend when someone makes Disney dining reservations for you and they are for an international park ...

What made me happier? Getting my Mickey Monitor in the mail box or those gift cards, yeah ...let me think.

Why am I watching Maryland-Virginia Tech game?

My beautiful toaster didn't last very long.

Tell me this: if Florida is the Sunshine State, how come it seems like it is always cloudy here?
whats your thoughts on those va tech helmets?

RSoxNo1

Spirited Star Wars News:

(for DLR)

Project appears to be finalized and Miceage/Dusty/Al looks like they got it right. Basically all of Tomorrowland with the exception of Buzz, Space Mountain, Star Tours (naturally) and the monorail will be leaving as part of a massive reskinning of the land. Ewoks and their forest home will take over the sub lagoon/Autopia area.

multiple attractions, dining and retail will be part of this massive project, which is scheduled to begin late in the 60th Anniversary celebration (2015-2016).

As for WDW, don't read anything into the above as of yet.
Bye bye subs.

doctornick

So, Autopia and the subs would be disappearing? It will be interesting to see how that would play out with longtime guests...

Would this involve the shortening of the monorail/removal of loops that was suggested?

WDW1974

Original Poster
So another theater for Soarin. I guess that mean no new E ticket for Epcot anytime soon. Just another redo of an existing attraction. They are just going to stick with what they already have in Epcot I guess. TDO is just adding another theater to help with the wait times, is that it? I assume the new Film that DCA is getting will come to Epcot with the new theater? Is Soarin getting new projectors too with the new theater?

Burbank's biggest concern with WDW, beyond the billiion dollar boondoggle that is NGE, is capacity. They think, erroneously, that New Fantasyland solved that at MK. EPCOT has plenty of space, but much of it is dead. And that makes Soarin crazy popular. Now, with MM+, people can pretty much show up and have no chance at getting a FP. Something had to give. This is the cheapest possible solution.

Soarin Over the World will come to EPCOT. Not sure of a timeline, but I'll bet that one of SDL's signature attractions opens in the US resorts before it does in China, much like PhilharMagic being plucked from HKDL.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That's what Iger was talking about during that last conference call! TAKE that UNIVERSAL! You wish you were updating 8 year old attractions and adding more princess meet and greets!

Arrogance takes you far when you make what he does annually, no matter how misplaced.

There are some tales of his week at WDW that I'd really like to share, but I can't.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirit, couple questions:

1. Is the Wishes replacement still scheduled to debut late 2015/early 2016? When's Wishes going to end?
2. You mentioned in your last thread (on pg.592) that WDW's Club 33 would likely have a different name, what will they name it and where will the location of it be?

1.). Yes;
2.) Can't say just yet on the first and I am not 100% sure of the second.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Anyone seen World of Color Winter Dreams?

All new digital projectors, hundreds of new LED fixtures and infrastructure and brand new moving head lighting?

On an acclaimed show that's only three years old. That's how you keep things fresh.

Does show how differently the SAME management team runs the two USA resorts.

I am more interested in Christmas Dreams in DLP, since that's the new show I'll be seeing this holiday season. I am guessing that much of it was lifted from the new WoC show.

RSoxNo1

So @lentesta made mention that the NGE plans have pretty much fallen in line with the original xPass proposal. I mocked this (apparently in error) pointing to the third Soarin theater as the most glaring omission. First off, Len, I apologize. Second, I'm now more intrigued as to what the end game really will be. What I saw was 3-4 FP+ reservations per day at MK depending on crowds, and 2-3 FP+ reservations per day at the other parks depending on crowds. Did the presentation show/state how far in advance all guests would be able to make their selections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom