The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 5: ENDGAME - Hype Thread

TwilightZone

Happy ending for buzzy! He is still in epcot! And we have the educational shorts.

Captain Cortex has the teeniest eyes on the planet.

Go see them!
For my podcast, Cinemoddities, last night I interviewed Matthew Serrano and Dave Ensign about Matthew's documentary, "Sneaking into a Forgotten Disney World Ride." In this interview many topics were discussed, but one topic I couldn't help but share a snippet of early! Dave shared with us the fate of Buzzy. According to Dave, Buzzy was never stolen just removed from his perch by WDI, w/o them notifying park operations and security. Here's the clip of the interview where Dave discusses what happened to Buzzy:

All three of the educational films are now up.

Lot of familiar voices in here. Lorenzo Music, Rob Paulsen, and maybe Christine Cavanaugh and Scott Menville as Captain Cortex.

TheOriginalTiki

Anyone have any hot takes on "Glass"? I was personally really let down by it. James McAvoy was perhaps even better than he was in Split, but he had SOOOOO much screen time meanwhile the Unbreakable characters are just kind of awkwardly on the sidelines for most of the movie when they're the ones we've been waiting 19 years to see in the first place. A pretty good Split sequel, but a really disappointing Unbreakable sequel...

TwilightZone

Anyone have any hot takes on "Glass"? I was personally really let down by it. James McAvoy was perhaps even better than he was in Split, but he had SOOOOO much screen time meanwhile the Unbreakable characters are just kind of awkwardly on the sidelines for most of the movie when they're the ones we've been waiting 19 years to see in the first place. A pretty good Split sequel, but a really disappointing Unbreakable sequel...
You know, you can see in it. Makes my cups. Breaks easily, though, but that's fine.

FireMountain

4hhy9nha3ab21.jpg

PerGron

I feel the same way! For a Mr. Glass movie it really was a Split Sequel before anything else. It was a great split sequel, but it really left out the characters we wanted to see. Seriously disappointed in this one. Shyamalan just proves again he's only good when there are no stakes on his movies.

Disney Dad 3000

question for my DL friends/experts/locals:

As much as we love going to the world, I think we are going to take a break this year (who am I kidding, we'll probably end up there anyway). Always enjoy our trips, but some recent goings on and experiences been a little frustrating so thinking of looking elsewhere. In that vein, I've pondering the last few months making the pilgrimage to DL where I've never been. The kicker is, it would be in April, during spring break sometime the week of 4/13-19. I know this is spring break. Vacation suicide???

I know spring break can be nuts at WDW from experience and heard the same of DL. I'm hoping if we decide to go, it might be a little calmer than normal considering it's 1-2 months before SWGE opens and maybe folks will hold off. Dunno. Let me know your thoughts if it's worth it or going to be a nightmare.

Thinking would fly out on Fri night the 12th and either to 3 days the 13-15th or towards the end of the trip. Would also be looking a few must do suggestions in the general area when we aren't at DL. Keep in mind i'd have a 6 yr old with me. Thinking santa monica pier and Griffith observatory for sure.

D Hulk

Original Poster

As much as we love going to the world, I think we are going to take a break this year (who am I kidding, we'll probably end up there anyway). Always enjoy our trips, but some recent goings on and experiences been a little frustrating so thinking of looking elsewhere. In that vein, I've pondering the last few months making the pilgrimage to DL where I've never been. The kicker is, it would be in April, during spring break sometime the week of 4/13-19. I know this is spring break. Vacation suicide???

I know spring break can be nuts at WDW from experience and heard the same of DL. I'm hoping if we decide to go, it might be a little calmer than normal considering it's 1-2 months before SWGE opens and maybe folks will hold off. Dunno. Let me know your thoughts if it's worth it or going to be a nightmare.

Thinking would fly out on Fri night the 12th and either to 3 days the 13-15th or towards the end of the trip. Would also be looking a few must do suggestions in the general area when we aren't at DL. Keep in mind i'd have a 6 yr old with me. Thinking santa monica pier and Griffith observatory for sure.
4/13-19 might specifically be the most crowded time between now and SW:GE. That's the only week with Annual Passholder blockouts, plus L.A. Unified has Spring Break. As a local, even when I have non-blocked tickets I tend to avoid times like this. If it's at all possible to go one week later, you would likely get one of the best Disneyland lulls in the near future.

Still, if you must go 4/13-19 then DL remains entirely doable. Have a flexible pre-plan. It's best to enter before the crowds, be smart in how you use FastPass/MaxPass, focus on low-capacity rides like Peter Pan earlier, and then slow down during the afternoon (especially since you don't want to exhaust your 6-year-old). Whatever timing you choose, I can advise on a touring strategy.

As for other attractions in the area, I am a huge fan of Griffith (see the amazing observatory, and the historic carousel which inspired Walt), and Santa Monica is good. The Gene Autry near Griffith is a really cool Old West museum (with some Imagineer-designed exhibits), and the L.A. Zoo is next door (I'm meh on it). Consider Long Beach, which has the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific. Knott's is 7 miles from Disneyland, and it's family-friendly too if you're not tired of theme parks. The Huntington Gardens in Pasadena might be too "old" or it might be perfect depending on your kid, and the same goes for museums like The Broad.

Have a great trip! :D

TheOriginalTiki

Yea, that's going to be a bad time to go, possibly the most crowded it will be before GE. As D Hindley said it's still entirely do-able and I wouldn't say it's vacation suicide the same way going the week of Christmas to New Years would be, but be prepared for a little bit extra in the crowd department. If you maintain the same basic touring strategies as WDW...rope dropping, saving shows for the middle of the day at peak crowd times etc. you'll definitely be able to see everything. At Disneyland it's not the lines that bother me as much as it is the crowded walk ways. DCA isn't nearly as bad as that park was made with huge modern day crowds in mind, but Disneyland proper has the unfortunate side effect of being one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world and being built over half a century ago when "peak" crowd days back then are entirely normal crowd levels now. Adventureland and New Orleans Square in particular are HELL in the mid-day peak crowds. Bizarre placemaking like the Astro Orbiter causing a huge bottleneck at the entrance of Tomorrowland certainly doesn't help with this issue.

As for stuff outside the parks, PLEASE don't make the mistake of writing off Knott's as a typical Cedar Fair coaster park. Yes, that park has some awesome coasters, but it also has a few world class themed attraction that rival anything at Disneyland. I personally prefer the Knott's log ride to Splash for example, and that's basically the closest thing we'll ever get to Western River Expedition in terms of a themed flume ride. Calico Mine Ride is basically the reincarnation of the Rainbow Caverns part of Nature's Wonderland and features a wildly impressive AA set piece that rivals anything done on Pirates. Mystery Lodge is so good I consider it the best themed non-Disney attraction I've ever done. Better than ANYTHING at Universal, and also has a ton of cultural and educational merit to it. Those three are the icons of the park for me, but there's still a TON left to do including the Ghost Town which you can spend hours in wandering around and talking to the in-character CMs and one of the best Camp Snoopy areas in the Cedar Fair chain. Add in some really high quality family coasters like Sierra Sidewinder, Jaguar, and Pony Express and you've got the best family park in the area outside of Disney bar none.

You've also got Krazy Kurt, who used to play at Disneyland's Golden Horseshoe as Billy Hill. Not to mention the myriad of delicious boysenberry-based food (the boysenberry ice cream cones are better than Dole Whips hands down...) and of course the famous chicken dinner restaurant which offers the most filling 20$ meal you're ever going to find.

Disney Dad 3000

4/13-19 might specifically be the most crowded time between now and SW:GE. That's the only week with Annual Passholder blockouts, plus L.A. Unified has Spring Break. As a local, even when I have non-blocked tickets I tend to avoid times like this. If it's at all possible to go one week later, you would likely get one of the best Disneyland lulls in the near future.

Still, if you must go 4/13-19 then DL remains entirely doable. Have a flexible pre-plan. It's best to enter before the crowds, be smart in how you use FastPass/MaxPass, focus on low-capacity rides like Peter Pan earlier, and then slow down during the afternoon (especially since you don't want to exhaust your 6-year-old). Whatever timing you choose, I can advise on a touring strategy.

As for other attractions in the area, I am a huge fan of Griffith (see the amazing observatory, and the historic carousel which inspired Walt), and Santa Monica is good. The Gene Autry near Griffith is a really cool Old West museum (with some Imagineer-designed exhibits), and the L.A. Zoo is next door (I'm meh on it). Consider Long Beach, which has the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific. Knott's is 7 miles from Disneyland, and it's family-friendly too if you're not tired of theme parks. The Huntington Gardens in Pasadena might be too "old" or it might be perfect depending on your kid, and the same goes for museums like The Broad.

Have a great trip! :D
Yea, that's going to be a bad time to go, possibly the most crowded it will be before GE. As D Hindley said it's still entirely do-able and I wouldn't say it's vacation suicide the same way going the week of Christmas to New Years would be, but be prepared for a little bit extra in the crowd department. If you maintain the same basic touring strategies as WDW...rope dropping, saving shows for the middle of the day at peak crowd times etc. you'll definitely be able to see everything. At Disneyland it's not the lines that bother me as much as it is the crowded walk ways. DCA isn't nearly as bad as that park was made with huge modern day crowds in mind, but Disneyland proper has the unfortunate side effect of being one of the most popular tourist destinations in the world and being built over half a century ago when "peak" crowd days back then are entirely normal crowd levels now. Adventureland and New Orleans Square in particular are HELL in the mid-day peak crowds. Bizarre placemaking like the Astro Orbiter causing a huge bottleneck at the entrance of Tomorrowland certainly doesn't help with this issue.

As for stuff outside the parks, PLEASE don't make the mistake of writing off Knott's as a typical Cedar Fair coaster park. Yes, that park has some awesome coasters, but it also has a few world class themed attraction that rival anything at Disneyland. I personally prefer the Knott's log ride to Splash for example, and that's basically the closest thing we'll ever get to Western River Expedition in terms of a themed flume ride. Calico Mine Ride is basically the reincarnation of the Rainbow Caverns part of Nature's Wonderland and features a wildly impressive AA set piece that rivals anything done on Pirates. Mystery Lodge is so good I consider it the best themed non-Disney attraction I've ever done. Better than ANYTHING at Universal, and also has a ton of cultural and educational merit to it. Those three are the icons of the park for me, but there's still a TON left to do including the Ghost Town which you can spend hours in wandering around and talking to the in-character CMs and one of the best Camp Snoopy areas in the Cedar Fair chain. Add in some really high quality family coasters like Sierra Sidewinder, Jaguar, and Pony Express and you've got the best family park in the area outside of Disney bar none.

You've also got Krazy Kurt, who used to play at Disneyland's Golden Horseshoe as Billy Hill. Not to mention the myriad of delicious boysenberry-based food (the boysenberry ice cream cones are better than Dole Whips hands down...) and of course the famous chicken dinner restaurant which offers the most filling 20$ meal you're ever going to find.

Thanks guys. Don't know for certain if i'll pull the trigger but appreciate the insight. Unfortunately with school schedule now i'm a little limited on travel times, and figure i'm not really too eager to venture there anytime soon after SWGE opens. We will see. I know it will be a little nutso, but as you said, you can still get stuff done. Hoping if I took 3 days and really focused on the things that are uber important to us and those attractions either not found at WDW or the better original version we could make a decent trip of it. Also very interested in just spending a few days in CA so hoping either way it could be a successful trip.

TheOriginalTiki

Thanks guys. Don't know for certain if i'll pull the trigger but appreciate the insight. Unfortunately with school schedule now i'm a little limited on travel times, and figure i'm not really too eager to venture there anytime soon after SWGE opens. We will see. I know it will be a little nutso, but as you said, you can still get stuff done. Hoping if I took 3 days and really focused on the things that are uber important to us and those attractions either not found at WDW or the better original version we could make a decent trip of it. Also very interested in just spending a few days in CA so hoping either way it could be a successful trip.

I've been hearing horror stories about what Galaxy's Edge will be like when it opens at Disneyland in particular. The capacity on the Falcon attraction is an absolute JOKE and should have never been greenlit with a number that low. Word on the street is in the testing phase they're having a hard time keeping Rise of the Resistance operational for even a full hour at a time due to the complex ride system. Far and away the biggest draw dining wise in the cantina will literally only be able to accommodate about 1/50th of the crowds in any given day assuming people want to actually stay in there for any extended period of time. Apparently the park is having a really rough time even finding CMs to apply for Galaxy's Edge positions, and most of the old-timers are avoiding working there like the plague. I'm sure it will be an immersive experience on paper just walking around the land, but it seems like Disney is having a really tough time getting the pieces to fall into place for an opening season that even remotely resembles "smooth".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom