News Buzzy’s been stolen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MickeyMinnieMom

You are probably right, but, instead of blaming Disney for lack of significant security and in affect saying... hey, it's their fault for trusting that most people are honest and respectful of private property, how about putting the fault where it belongs. It's square in the shoulders of someone that feels that rules, rights of others and civil behavior do not apply to him. After all, he is just an explorer.
Agreed that the blame falls with those breaking the rules, and there will always be some. However, it is surprising to me that Disney doesn't do a better job with backstage security. There have to be ways to improve that. Whether ramping up training and expectations for other CMs, more cameras -- at least for identification/prosecution after the fact, etc. Nothing will ever be perfect, and some idiots will always get through, but it feels like they could do more.

Goofyernmost

Agreed that the blame falls with those breaking the rules, and there will always be some. However, it is surprising to me that Disney doesn't do a better job with backstage security. There have to be ways to improve that. Whether ramping up training and expectations for other CMs, more cameras -- at least for identification/prosecution after the fact, etc. Nothing will ever be perfect, and some idiots will always get through, but it feels like they could do more.
As many have mentioned, those of us with a sentimental attachment to the stuff along with an insatiable desire to know what they can't see (nosy) attach a value to it. To Disney it is one of thousands of pieces of scrap metal that they have to find a place to store or bury with the subs out back. They have gone to considerable trouble to post and back up their desire for people to stay the hell out of those area. It is their property and their right. Why are they doing that? Because someday someone is going to get seriously hurt back their and when that somebody takes them to court they want to show that the have taken extreme measures to get the message across that unless authorized NO ONE SHOULD BE BACK THEIR!
It is there right just as it is your right on your private property to expect that no one will invade your privacy without you having to post guards, erect cameras or have guard dogs. All those thing will not get the coverage that this particular incident will garner.

The items, like Buzzy, have no financial value to Disney as a whole. It has PR value now, but, before he was just hanging out in the dark, unseen and non-troublesome. However, with crap for brains mucking about and with no reaction from them, their personal injury liability goes through the roof. That is where the value is, but, what area does one position cameras? How many monitors would it take to cover the vastness that is WDW. All for some Einstein that takes the photo's for them and posts them on the internet. Not the brightest bulb on the tree!

Ripken10

I always get a chuckle when people say that Disney's security is lacking, and I think about my work, where far more important information is held, and I think about our security. Disney's looks like fort Knox compared, and it shouldn't. We should be far more secure (although they have made "improvements" of late, but still nothing to write home about.

MickeyMinnieMom

I always get a chuckle when people say that Disney's security is lacking, and I think about my work, where far more important information is held, and I think about our security. Disney's looks like fort Knox compared, and it shouldn't. We should be far more secure (although they have made "improvements" of late, but still nothing to write home about.
Sounds like a deficiency at your company -- not a gold star for Disney. ;)

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
I never understand the negative reaction when someone suggests basic security measures, there always seems to be someone with a knee-jerk "how dare you blame the victim!!!" response. No one is blaming the victim or excusing whoever the criminal might be, obviously someone that goes into a place and steals is the a-hole in the scenario. But, I fail to see how suggesting measures beyond having a "No Admittance" sign is somehow wrong. If someone burglarizes your house a couple of times, do you stick to your guns and say "no, the thief is the bad guy, I had a sign up so I shouldn't have to put locks on my doors" or do you spend a fairly small amount of money and put a deadbolt in? I, for one, believe that the thief is the bad guy and I should probably take some basic measures and put a lock on my door. Despite our best intentions, signs don't always work to keep people away from "attractive nuisances," that's why, for example, you can't just put a sign by your pool, you are expected to put a fence around it (because children or adult idiots might ignore the signs to get to something they really want to see/do).

Even the most basic lock to get into Cranium Command (or other closed areas) would also deter any future urban explorers, because that ups the risk from "probable trespass notice" to "breaking and entering."

MickeyMinnieMom

I never understand the negative reaction when someone suggests basic security measures, there always seems to be someone with a knee-jerk "how dare you blame the victim!!!" response. No one is blaming the victim or excusing whoever the criminal might be, obviously someone that goes into a place and steals is the a-hole in the scenario. But, I fail to see how suggesting measures beyond having a "No Admittance" sign is somehow wrong. If someone burglarizes your house a couple of times, do you stick to your guns and say "no, the thief is the bad guy, I had a sign up so I shouldn't have to put locks on my doors" or do you spend a fairly small amount of money and put a deadbolt in? I, for one, believe that the thief is the bad guy and I should probably take some basic measures and put a lock on my door. Despite our best intentions, signs don't always work to keep people away from "attractive nuisances," that's why, for example, you can't just put a sign by your pool, you are expected to put a fence around it (because children or adult idiots might ignore the signs to get to something they really want to see/do).

Even the most basic lock to get into Cranium Command (or other closed areas) would also deter any future urban explorers, because that ups the risk from "probable trespass notice" to "breaking and entering."
Exactly my thinking. We lock our front door. Years ago the previous owners of this house installed a security system when there were more break-in's in the area -- i.e. they upped security. A couple of years back, there was a rash of burglaries in the area, so we installed some cameras -- i.e. upped security some more in response to reality.

Clearly Disney's security is being breached by too many. It's a liability issue if nothing else. That strikes me as a business case for upping their security. There is no way in which this is equivalent to saying: "these losers aren't at fault -- Disney is". And nothing is ever 100% idiot-proof. But it seems like a marginal cost/benefit analysis may well suggest they are due for an increase in backstage security.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I never understand the negative reaction when someone suggests basic security measures, there always seems to be someone with a knee-jerk "how dare you blame the victim!!!" response. No one is blaming the victim or excusing whoever the criminal might be
Umm, that has been the point of certain urbexers, part of their rationalization for trespassing. That's why it gets brought up so much.and that's why people respond 'stop blaming the victim'.

RogueKnite

For my podcast, Cinemoddities, last night I interviewed Matthew Serrano and Dave Ensign about Matthew's documentary, "Sneaking into a Forgotten Disney World Ride." In this interview many topics were discussed, but one topic I couldn't help but share a snippet of early! Dave shared with us the fate of Buzzy. According to Dave, Buzzy was never stolen just removed from his perch by WDI, w/o them notifying park operations and security. Here's the clip of the interview where Dave discusses what happened to Buzzy:

trainplane3

For my podcast, Cinemoddities, last night I interviewed Matthew Serrano and Dave Ensign about Matthew's documentary, "Sneaking into a Forgotten Disney World Ride." In this interview many topics were discussed, but one topic I couldn't help but share a snippet of early! Dave shared with us the fate of Buzzy. According to Dave, Buzzy was never stolen just removed from his perch by WDI, w/o them notifying park operations and security. Here's the clip of the interview where Dave discusses what happened to Buzzy:

That lines up pretty spot on with the "unauthorized removal" we've heard about.

MickeyMinnieMom

Ie unauthorized removal... ...? :)

ETA: “He’s still there in Epcot just not on his perch”... so the next stage will be idiots sneaking around, searching for Buzzy everywhere at Epcot??

Last edited:

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Umm, that has been the point of certain urbexers, part of their rationalization for trespassing. That's why it gets brought up so much.and that's why people respond 'stop blaming the victim'.
My point was just: suggesting installing a lock =/= blaming the victim; which seems to be a conclusion that many people jump to. You can believe that people shouldn't be trespassing and believe that installing a lock would be a smart idea, the two ideas are not as mutually exclusive as a lot of people seem to think.

ppete1975

I don't think it's "stupid" to expect people to behave like adults. But there's always one or two who will prove you wrong.

And if someone wants to enter the annual Darwin award competition by jumping barriers and climbing roller coaster structures, who am I to judge them... gravity and physics are far harsher judges than I could ever be.
All of the Buzzy, big thunder mountain, and backstage stuff.. makes Disney looks like keystone cops. I'm sure there is an embarrassment factor that an animatronic is missing, people climb a ride at night, sneak into places multiple times and they aren't caught.

MickeyMinnieMom

Wait so if WDI removed him he must’ve been backstage somewhere all this time then. It would’ve been easier if they just told us they removed it that so we didn’t have all this arguing about it.
Honest question: what does Disney care if a bunch of people on an unofficial forum argue about a "missing" animatronic?

And why should they? Making a big announcement about this would only draw attention, including to the idiots who urbex and steal backstage. That would only help them with their "fans" and encourage more behavior like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom