The Simpsons in Disney Parks

DisneyTalks

I rather not. I want more Mickey Mouse and other tales and animated movies to be shown. Simpson’s and family guy does not fit with Mickey Mouse.

celluloid

The cost and difficulty to work with the Simpsons voice cast is notoriously difficult and costly. Not Disney's style, they don't like to play like that very often. Especially not in recent leadership. Disney can keep it out of brand while sharing the results of the hard work with other location based entertainment venues run by Fox location based entertainment division. Universal has the money coming in for the merch and future activity and The Carolinas had licensing and attraction elements in Myrtle Beach with The Simpsons 4D and Kwik E Mart.

Cmdr_Crimson

The cost and difficulty to work with the Simpsons voice cast is notoriously difficult and costly. Not Disney's style, they don't like to play like that very often. Especially not in recent leadership. Disney can keep it out of brand while sharing the results of the hard work with other location based entertainment venues run by Fox location based entertainment division. Universal has the money coming in for the merch and future activity and The Carolinas had licensing and attraction elements in Myrtle Beach with The Simpsons 4D and Kwik E Mart.
Yet at one point in time the voice actors did do something for Disney..
Nancy Cartwright (Bart) - Pistol Pete Goof Troop

Julie Kavner (Marge) - Timon's Mom
latest

Dan Castellaneta (Homer) - Genie Aladdin ( reprises role in an Episode)
hqdefault.jpg

Harry Shearer - Donald Bowowser (Chicken Little).
latest

The only 2 who haven't done Disney Characters as of yet..Yeardley Smith and Hank Azaria..

celluloid

Yet at one point in time the voice actors did do something for Disney..
Nancy Cartwright (Bart) - Pistol Pete Goof Troop

Julie Kavner (Marge) - Timon's Mom
latest

Dan Castellaneta (Homer) - Genie Aladdin ( reprises role in an Episode)
hqdefault.jpg

Harry Shearer - Donald Bowowser (Chicken Little).
latest

The only 2 who haven't done Disney Characters as of yet..Yeardley Smith and Hank Azaria..

Yes, those were pre them getting paid collectively over a million per episode of The Simpsons. 2004 changed a lot and they they hold the multiple voices card.
Theme park budget does not always have as large of budget for talent. That is why The Simpsons ride was no easy project.

Cmdr_Crimson

Yes, those were pre them getting paid collectively over a million per episode of The Simpsons. 2004 changed a lot and they they hold the multiple voices card.
Theme park budget does not always have as large of budget for talent. That is why The Simpsons ride was no easy project.

According to this article it was 1998 when the whole thing started...

celluloid

Jon81uk

It's probably been said many times, but I don't believe that The Simpsons fits in Disney parks - it's never really been for kids, and has been drifting even further away from that over the last couple of decades. I know that you could easily say the same for Pandora, but that's both kind of a bizarre outlier and fitting for other reasons; Avatar's selling point is that it's supposed to be a serious film with environmentalist messages, which fits thematically in Animal Kingdom. The Simpsons' selling point is that it's primarily a comedy whose humour is often crude and mostly geared towards adults (no matter how many people let their kids watch it because "it's tradition"), and, while I believe that some of their writers have also worked on Disney shows, that's to an extent that feels like it doesn't fit in the "Disney is for kids and grown-up kids" theme that they have going for them.

On a more personal note, I'm firmly in the camp who believes that the show isn't worth the time anymore and shouldn't have been dragged out as long as it currently is. I still love the old episodes and have a tremendous amount of respect for how it revolutionised TV, but those days have been over for a very long time.

Disney parks are not for kids. Otherwise you would still just be sat on a bench while your kid is on the merry-go-round. The parks are for families. Epcot and Hollywood Studios have always been for families particularly. The Simpsons is really a family show, it isn't as adult as Family Guy and Simpsons (in the UK at least) has regularly been shown at 6pm.

CaptainTeo

Disney parks are not for kids. Otherwise you would still just be sat on a bench while your kid is on the merry-go-round. The parks are for families. Epcot and Hollywood Studios have always been for families particularly. The Simpsons is really a family show, it isn't as adult as Family Guy and Simpsons (in the UK at least) has regularly been shown at 6pm.
Hence why I said "kids and grown-up kids", not just "kids". I've always enjoyed the parks as an adult, and I don't have any kids. Just that the style of The Simpsons really doesn't mesh well with the atmosphere that they have in the parks, as far as I'm concerned. I personally disagree that The Simpsons is still a family show, though - I'm in the UK, too, and, considering some of the content that's been on there, I don't think that it should still be shown as early as 6 PM. It rarely goes as far as Family Guy, sure, but I always got the impression that they were trying to go in that direction.

There's plenty in Disney parks for adults to enjoy, and even a few things that only adults can do, but, in my opinion, a show that hits the 12/15 age certificate because of its style of humour would stick out in the parks like a sore thumb, even if I'm sure that they could dress up whatever they made enough to be completely appropriate for families. This all comes down to a matter of personal opinion and what you'd personally let your kids see, of course, and this is coming from someone who doesn't even have kids, but I just don't feel like it'd be appropriate or fit in.

Jon81uk

There's plenty in Disney parks for adults to enjoy, and even a few things that only adults can do, but, in my opinion, a show that hits the 12/15 age certificate because of its style of humour would stick out in the parks like a sore thumb, even if I'm sure that they could dress up whatever they made enough to be completely appropriate for families. This all comes down to a matter of personal opinion and what you'd personally let your kids see, of course, and this is coming from someone who doesn't even have kids, but I just don't feel like it'd be appropriate or fit in.

Many of the Simpsons releases on DVD were PG certificate, although more recent ones are a 12. Not that dissimilar to Harry Potter really, although of course for different reasons. I think everything in the Magic Kingdom should effectively be a U or PG certificate, but the studios park should be more diverse and given there is Tower of Terror, Star Tours, Aerosmith etc already its not like there isn't a precedent for some 12-rated style content.

celluloid

Hence why I said "kids and grown-up kids", not just "kids". I've always enjoyed the parks as an adult, and I don't have any kids. Just that the style of The Simpsons really doesn't mesh well with the atmosphere that they have in the parks, as far as I'm concerned. I personally disagree that The Simpsons is still a family show, though - I'm in the UK, too, and, considering some of the content that's been on there, I don't think that it should still be shown as early as 6 PM. It rarely goes as far as Family Guy, sure, but I always got the impression that they were trying to go in that direction.

You are right. Well said. While it is not constantly leude, and WDW is not only for kids, it has a brand. Even Simpsons on Disney Plus was a choice that rubbed a lot of Disney Plus the wrong way. Hulu was the better branding touchstone like effect for that. They wanted Disney Plus to have more pull for launch.

LaughingGravy

I still have a tough time reconciling Star Wars in Disney parks. There is such a thing as too much.

Star Wars

Marvel
Simpsons

DC Comics?

At least for MGM, they made a park dedicated to it.

It's like Pfizer buying up all the smaller pharma companies who develop things instead of making something.
Making something costs more money, thus less for the shareholder.

LaughingGravy

The point is that such exhortations are simply wrong - wrong in fact and wrong in standing. People, like you, said the same thing about Star Wars, and yet we have Galaxy's Edge with hour-long waits for a second-tier attraction. Star Wars has helped revitalize a theme park that had dropped to "fourth favorite out of four" for most every Disney guest. And the reality is that you don't have standing to say what does and does not "have place" in Disney - that's their exclusive purview. Not even Disney family members have standing to make such determinations. All you, and they, can do is express what you personally like or don't like - not what has a place there or not. That's determined by Disney, itself, and indirectly as a reflection of what guests overall want.

So not only are your comments wrong on two counts, you're committing fully to personally insulting the millions of other people who actually like what you find offensive. I wonder if you realize that that says far more about you than it does about them. It actually says nothing about them, in truth. All that comes out of your comment is a clear picture of how you conduct yourself.

And I see nothing wrong with you not liking these things. But they are Disney even if you don't like it. If you cannot abide that, you'll be happier finding another avocation on which to spend your attention.
That is why Disney used to be respected. Hour long waits for second tier attractions only prove the point that it isn't what it used to be, nor will it likely go back. It's sad, really. It used to be a nice place where one could actually bring a family and also teach them manners and respect for other people in a crowded environment.
There were standards. There is no decorum left.
It used to be the case that during parades, a tall guy would not stake out a spot right on the curb sitting down for more than an hour and then when the parade starts, hoist his 6 year-old kid standing on his shoulders blocking the view of everyone behind for no reason in addition to the rest of the brood of three people or more showing up 2 minutes before parade time.
People leaving filled diapers in all kinds of inappropriate places, eating in the rest rooms, and leaving masks and gloves in parking lots are the new normal.
Fart jokes, lowest common denominator bodily fluid and ren/stimpy gross out humor rule the day.
The people willing to shell out big bucks for that can have it. Usually they are the same folks who would also spend thousands for expensive wheels on a $500 car that barely runs.
The only reason DHS was rated fourth out of four was due to cutting back and closing things making it a half day park. Of course it's going to be rated low.

LaughingGravy

Personally I hope not, but i did recently see on Disney+ that they add the Simpson Movie so I don't know what that actually indicates.
I looked at Disney+. If they put the true and full catalog of all that is Disney which they own with all movies, including all the Mickey Mouse Club episodes and all the Wonderful World of Disney episodes, I would pay $20 per month or more. I'll pay for quality.

Disney Kween

I looked at Disney+. If they put the true and full catalog of all that is Disney which they own with all movies, including all the Mickey Mouse Club episodes and all the Wonderful World of Disney episodes, I would pay $20 per month or more. I'll pay for quality.
I have watched the few Mickey Mouse Club episodes and Wonderful World of Disney that they put up and wish they would put the rest up. I do however in the evening like going on Disney+ and looking up a Disney movie that I have not watched in quite sometime and click on it and relax and watch it.

*Cinderelly*

In the Parks
No
The Simpsons are an iconic franchise so if Disney an attraction, the characters I see nothing but positive things to come out of this. What I don't quite get though is Universal has a Simpsons Ride. How is that gonna work?

Moka

What I don't quite get though is Universal has a Simpsons Ride. How is that gonna work?
One of the reasons I don't see it happening. The Simpsons already have an entire section dedicated over at Universal. Can't see them doing it while it still exists at the competitors park. And I'm sure there's some sort of contract for that land until time is up? Like Universal has the rights for a certain amount of time? Can be wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom