The Simpsons in Disney Parks

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If marvel and Star Wars and avatar are now in Disney parks I can definitely see the Simpsons showing up. Disney is absolutely trying to make them become a major part of Disney. I could see them as meet and greets at Hollywood studios and California adventure.
The Simpsons are way past their prime.

Disney has demographic targets and I don’t think this one aligns

Last edited:

ppete1975

They do but if Warner and Comcast merge the rights revert to them I believe. So six flags would have to retheme their dc and looney tunes rides.
License Agreements We are party to a license agreement pursuant to which we have the exclusive right on a long-term basis to theme park use in the United States and Canada (excluding the Las Vegas, Nevada metropolitan area) of all animated, cartoon and comic book characters that Warner Bros. and DC Comics have the right to license for such use. The term of the agreement expires in 2053. The license fee is payable on a per-theme park basis, and is subject to CPI increases and scheduled adjustments, including periodic market resets. In November 1999, we entered into license agreements pursuant to which we have the exclusive right on a longterm basis to parks use in Europe, Central and South America of all animated, cartoon and comic book characters that Warner Bros. and DC Comics have the right to license for such use. Under such agreements, the license fee is based on specified percentages of the gross revenues of the applicable parks

ppete1975

The Simpsons are way past their prime. Where are you getting you ideas from on this?

Disney has demographic targets and I don’t think this one aligns
I agree with you, but they do like rolling them out for Disney+ events and D23. I dont see them ever getting a ride in any park or an appearance in epcot AK or Mk

But studios meet and greet or part of a multi IP parade.. maybe?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree with you, but they do like rolling them out for Disney+ events and D23. I dont see them ever getting a ride in any park or an appearance in epcot AK or Mk

A limited investment drop into a park? Sure…I could see it.

But “development” around it? No. Not their market really at all.

ppete1975

A limited investment drop into a park? Sure…I could see it.

But “development” around it? No. Not their market really at all.
totally agree. I think Universal has done springfield as well as can be done (from the look of the town), no need to reinvent the wheel on something that wouldnt bring in anyone. Also they get licensing money from Universal as long as they continue to use it (correct me if I am wrong). So make money, free publicity, with no opex. And no reason to try and shut down universal, when it is making you money and isnt impacting guests deciding to go there instead of disney (unlike lets say Harry Potter, that people use to justify going there)

Cmdr_Crimson

Doesn’t Six Flags already hold the theme park rights to Looney Tunes?
Yes, they do..They were under ownership from the Marriott corporation and Warner Bros until 1984 when Six Flags bought the Great America park in Gurnee Il and the rights were then spread throughout the chain.

Cmdr_Crimson

And we're still waiting for a Bob's Burgers on Grand Ave at DHS..

Cmdr_Crimson

They do but if Warner and Comcast merge the rights revert to them I believe. So six flags would have to retheme their dc and looney tunes rides.
It's sad too. My park Six Flags Great America was the park they came from. After the 1984 buyout it then went to all 8 parks. Having been "Good Friends" with Bugs in the 00's. The main rule was to have Bugs out no matter what so at least guests had a character to see at our park..We also had The Animaniacs and Hanna-Barbera characters (Jetsons, Flintstones, and Scooby)..After late 2007 for some odd reason The Wiggles took over and the Looney Tunes area got leveled to become a go-kart track leaving Camp Cartoon Network the only themed area and the LT characters were randomly tossed around the park...Nowadays they pop up here and there and it does seem they really don't use them as much and use their own random characters that aren't IP based ( an Uncle Sam, a Bull and Gator) it's really strange.

ppete1975

In theory there never should have been a six flags, it was only created after Walt and Knotts both turned down the mayor of Dallas, so they made their own park.

SpectreJordan

Classic Simpsons is my favorite show of all-time, but I don't think they'd fit in any of the current parks. They'd need to build a 5th gate (or another one somewhere else) with a theme where Springfield would make sense.

I don't even think they'd fit in Hollywood Studios. The IPs in that park lean more towards the cinematic side of things. A family sitcom in a small town would feel out of place IMO, especially given the other IPs that could be used in that park instead (including other Fox IPs like Planet of the Apes, Independence Day, Alien, Predator, etc...).

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
Y’know I really don’t think there should be a Simpsons land/attraction at Disney, because they will end up having to "sanitize" it for family appeal. (Example: no Itchy & Scratchy references nor Patty & Selma because they smoke a lot) That would be a disappointment. The whole Disney/Fox merger, in my belief, has thrown things out of whack, especially in terms of the Simpsons/Universal park deal. It shouldn’t have happened, nor should it stay.
Classic Simpsons is my favorite show of all-time, but I don't think they'd fit in any of the current parks. They'd need to build a 5th gate (or another one somewhere else) with a theme where Springfield would make sense.

I don't even think they'd fit in Hollywood Studios. The IPs in that park lean more towards the cinematic side of things. A family sitcom in a small town would feel out of place IMO, especially given the other IPs that could be used in that park instead (including other Fox IPs like Planet of the Apes, Independence Day, Alien, Predator, etc...).
Most of the properties you listed are a bit too adult (or much too adult) for a Disney Park. Also, Disney’s Hollywood Studios doesn’t want to be themed to Hollywood and the movies anymore, considering that the park got out of being a real-working film/TV lot. Maybe it should have a new theme, like old Hollywood.

SpectreJordan

Y’know I really don’t think there should be a Simpsons land/attraction at Disney, because they will end up having to "sanitize" it for family appeal. (Example: no Itchy & Scratchy references nor Patty & Selma because they smoke a lot) That would be a disappointment. The whole Disney/Fox merger, in my belief, has thrown things out of whack, especially in terms of the Simpsons/Universal park deal. It shouldn’t have happened, nor should it stay.

Most of the properties you listed are a bit too adult (or much too adult) for a Disney Park. Also, Disney’s Hollywood Studios doesn’t want to be themed to Hollywood and the movies anymore, considering that the park got out of being a real-working film/TV lot. Maybe it should have a new theme, like old Hollywood.
It doesn’t want to be themed to Hollywood, but it definitely wants to be themed to the movies. The new goal is “living the movies” which they do through Star Wars & Toy Story. They still need some work to really complete that though.

Elijah Abrams

In the Parks
Yes
It doesn’t want to be themed to Hollywood, but it definitely wants to be themed to the movies. The new goal is “living the movies” which they do through Star Wars & Toy Story. They still need some work to really complete that though.
That sounds like Disney stealing ideas from Universal.

celluloid

That's what Hollywood Studios always was & it's a great idea. 🤷‍♂️

If they're not going to actually film anything in the park, I think converting it (& Universal Studios) into themed land that immerse you in the movies is the best way to go.
It is true, now an issue is when new lands and attractions at the other Disney Parks are ONLY that identity.

Universal does still film a good amount of production there. Not Ga right now or anything. But the movie making and movie immersion balance has been Universal Attractions and lands done well since day one.

SpectreJordan

It is true, now an issue is when new lands and attractions at the other Disney Parks are ONLY that identity.

Universal does still film a good amount of production there. Not Ga right now or anything. But the movie making and movie immersion balance has been Universal Attractions and lands done well since day one.
Yeah, I think the themed lands thing should be left to Hollywood. The other 3 shouldn't get those; Pandora's an exception since it plays into Animal Kingdom's themes by showing off the environment of Pandora as the park also does with Africa & Asia.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom