The Should I or Should I Not Write a Trip Report for a Solo Trip to Disneyland

Okay, I was torn! I wasn’t sure this short little solo trip was worth a report! Then I ended up with some time on my hands and decided I could do a quick one. I didn’t take a single note, so this is all off memory and photos!

And when I say photos, I mean a gazillion photos. This was a photo trip and I took close to 2000. It is taking me forever to process them all. So while this was a short trip and I finished the text quickly, it may take a while to get it all up because of the photos.

Who: Well just me!! A solo trip was something new for me. I’ve done several trips without my family – travel agent education trips, cheap last minute girl’s cruises, etc. But all by my lonesome? Never! Here I am!

IMG_5086.jpg

But the truth was, I needed to go and no one else could get away with me kind of last minute. I’ve been a Disneyland blog contributor for Touringplans.com lately and I haven’t been since February! I was starting to feel out of touch with my beloved Disneyland. I was also running out of pictures!!

That was another reason I hesitated to bring a friend. My primary goal was to check on some things and take a gazillion pictures. Rides weren’t even on my radar – much. :D I knew I probably wouldn’t be the most fun traveling companion with these goals, so solo it was!

It was also much cheaper that way. One plane ticket with hubby’s frequent flyer miles, one comp ticket, and a military discount on a room. Score!

Disneyland during the holidays is really something else. In my opinion, they put WDW’s decorations to shame. The decorations at Disneyland are so extensive it’s amazing, but it’s a lot more than that! The special snacks and desserts, the live reindeer at Santa’s ranch, the snow on Main Street, and the list goes on. The ride overlays of Haunted Mansion and Small World are worth the trip alone. Disneyland doesn't just throw some garland on the rides. They overlays are extensive to say the least. It’s really something every Disney fan should experience at least once.

My parents flew in to take over my main job, while my hubby brings home the bacon, driving the kids back and forth to school and various youth group activities, sports practices and games. My almost 17 year old still does not have his driver’s license. It’s a mixture of a few things. One, the most surprising for us, is the lack of excitement about it. When we turned 15 we went that very day to start the process! Today it seems like ds and his friends just don’t care much. Probably because they’ve still got their mom to drive them everywhere. :lookaroun There’s also been a big problem getting Virginia to accept his Colorado permit and Drivers Ed which we paid $800 for, 32 hours in a classroom and spent over 40 hours behind the wheel. Virginia is insisting he needs to take their Drivers Ed for $300, 36 more classroom hours and spend 40 more training hours behind the wheel. Um. No. Don’t have time and not worth it. The third reason is my complete terror of my son driving in DC. I mean, it’s crazy here. There are no quiet back roads. Everywhere we go is on a major highway or interstate that is packed from 5 am to around midnight. I’m in no hurry for him to be driving around on his own here. No hurry at all.

Sorry, back to the trip report. Dad and Mom came to take over for me and I was off!

Saturday, November 12 – Departure Day

I didn’t want to leave to early so I could spend a little time with Dad and Mom. They came in late Thursday night so we did get to spend Friday exploring DC together. My flight didn’t leave until noon. I crammed everything into a carry on so I wouldn’t have to pay the accursed bag fees.

Once we got to the airport, I made a horrible mistake. I had a few books on my kindle app on the ipad that I had saved up to read on all the upcoming trips. I don’t let myself read much, unless I’m traveling, for one reason. I get completely obsessed with books. I mean I can not put them down. When I start a good one, I will stay up until all hours of the night so I can finish it. So when I picked a book to start, let’s just say I chose poorly.

Dd had read The Hunger Games series on her kindle several months ago. I didn’t do much checking before she bought it, just because I’d heard so many good reviews. At one point we asked her what it was about. When she told us it was about teenagers who had to fight to the death as a sacrifice for their community -:eek: - I was feeling serious parent guilt! Oh my word! Should she have read that? Should I have read them before I let her?

Well I didn’t and was finally getting around to it now. I thought it would be a quick read and I could get it over with so I’d enjoy the movie more when it was released.

Oh. My. Word.

That book was so incredibly totally awesome. I could NOT put it down!! That’s not a way to start a Disney trip!! I had a lot to do and I didn’t want anything else competing for my attention at Disneyland, but I knew this book series was going to.

That’s a crazy long flight from Dulles to LAX. I mean crazy long. Like 6 hours? The movie was Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which I’d seen before. I really enjoyed it the first time, but was I going to put down Hunger Games to watch it? No way!

I was actually a little sad when the plane landed. When my plane landed at Disney, I was a little sad. How many kinds of wrong is that? :cry:

I did force myself to put it down and deplaned with everyone else. I lucked out, there was a Disneyland Express Shuttle waiting and I got right on.

The front of the resort is a wreck right now. The bus couldn’t even get up next to the resort to drop us off. We literally had to drag our bags, in the rain, through a parking lot to get to an entrance. Since I had tons of camera equipment and everything for 3 nights crammed into my backpack and rolling bag, this was no easy task.

The entrance wasn’t easy to find either! Another couple had been dropped off with me and we ended up going in a side entrance near the convention center. I was a little turned around but I knew we hadn’t come in near the lobby. I asked someone who was setting up for a convention if she happened to know where the lobby was. She acted completely offended that I had asked her. She said, "I don’t work here!" Alright. Thanks! :shrug:

We finally went out of the building and I recognized where we were. I told the other couple to follow me and we made our way to the check in desks.

I have had a few instances at the Disneyland Hotel where dragging suitcases from the back of the parking lot to the far away room was sheer torture and I was ready to slap my grandma by the time we found our room. This was one of those times. I needed to refind some Disney cheer when I got to my room.

My first reaction was – shoot. I’m alone! This is kind of sad. My second was, it’s okay! It’s Disney!

The redone rooms at the Disneyland Hotel are really beautiful. The headboard is – dare I say it – just magical. When you turn it on, the fireworks light up and music plays. I loved it. I wanted to sleep with it on every night.

One slight benefit to being alone – no one to mess up the room before you can take pictures!

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4663.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Popcorn dude in Toontown!

IMG_5063.jpg

IMG_5071.jpg

IMG_5083.jpg

Quick stroll through Tomorrowland. It must have been crazy packed there because I have almost no pictures! I love this shirt:

IMG_5093.jpg

Popcorn!

IMG_5091.jpg

Popcorn dude in Tomorrowland:

IMG_5089.jpg

As I walked back towards Adventureland and passed the most excellent popcorn dude on Main Street:

IMG_5097.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Passed this store:

IMG_5098.jpg

We love Bengal Barbecue:

IMG_5099.jpg

One of the best rides at Disneyland. Maybe the best!

IMG_5100.jpg

I walked through Tarzan’s Treehouse:

IMG_5105.jpg

IMG_5107.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5109.jpg

IMG_5111.jpg

After that I ran into Jack Skellington. He was doing a great job interacting with guests.

IMG_5114.jpg

Alright, that's it for now! :)

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
Passed this store:

We love Bengal Barbecue:

IMG_5099.jpg

One of the best rides at Disneyland. Maybe the best!

IMG_5100.jpg

I walked through Tarzan’s Treehouse:

IMG_5105.jpg

IMG_5108.jpg

IMG_5109.jpg

IMG_5111.jpg

After that I ran into Jack Skellington. He was doing a great job interacting with guests.

IMG_5114.jpg

Alright, that's it for now! :)

Fantastic :sohappy:

Disneyland Looks Amazing :sohappy:

AlaskaDude

Popcorn dudes and snacks

Great pics of all the popcorn dudes--one of my favorite Disney decorating touches.

Also, can you confirm/deny that you personally tried all the snacks you photographed during your trip?

sweetpee_1993

I love the way the ice cream is displayed. That's awesome! I had a full-on "really???" moment when looking at this one. The little caution blurb about the ice cream being hard frozen. They needed a caution for that. Wow. Just wow. I guess I sorta understand...Brian lost a tooth on Disney ice cream once...but then he was happy because he got a visit from the Disney Tooth Fairy (just like everything at WDW, it was more $$..LOL).

Love all the pics, Tammy. The details are incredible. Everywhere you look there's theming and stuff to look at that makes you say, "Oh!" and "Cool!" or "Wow!" I loooove it!

Kristia

Count me as another one who is really glad you wrote this report! We hope to get to Disneyland next year! I also love the way the ice cream is displayed. That is really neat! I am not a character meeting girl usually, but would love to meet Jack Skellington! One of my favorite movies! Loving all your pictures and looking forward to seeing more!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Fantastic :sohappy:

Disneyland Looks Amazing :sohappy:

It is amazing! I feel like I'm home when I'm there.:)

I love the way the ice cream is displayed. That's awesome! I had a full-on "really???" moment when looking at this one. The little caution blurb about the ice cream being hard frozen. They needed a caution for that. Wow. Just wow. I guess I sorta understand...Brian lost a tooth on Disney ice cream once...but then he was happy because he got a visit from the Disney Tooth Fairy (just like everything at WDW, it was more $$..LOL).

Love all the pics, Tammy. The details are incredible. Everywhere you look there's theming and stuff to look at that makes you say, "Oh!" and "Cool!" or "Wow!" I loooove it!

I didn't even notice the hard frozen blurb!! :lol: Hilarious! And he lost a tooth? Oh my!! I guess that's why they have the blurb!

Count me as another one who is really glad you wrote this report! We hope to get to Disneyland next year! I also love the way the ice cream is displayed. That is really neat! I am not a character meeting girl usually, but would love to meet Jack Skellington! One of my favorite movies! Loving all your pictures and looking forward to seeing more!

Oh good, I hope you make it to Disneyland! I'll put up some more soon!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Um, Tammy, you're making me wonder if we should have booked DL rather than the Fantasy. :lol:

:eek::lookaroun:lol:

Well that's good and bad!:lol:

As much as I love Disneyland, and I do(!), if I had to choose between it and the Fantasy, I'd be on the Fantasy.

And as soon as I got back I'd start planning a trip to Disneyland. :D

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Next I decided to take a raft ride over to Pirate’s Lair:

IMG_5118.jpg

IMG_5120.jpg

IMG_5124.jpg

IMG_5127.jpg

IMG_5131.jpg

Back on the mainland:

IMG_5132.jpg

IMG_5140.jpg

Believe it or not, it was just now time for my 11:30 lunch reservation!! My word I took a ton of pictures.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
One of my goals for this trip was the infamous Monte Cristo from the Blue Bayou. The last time I ate at the Blue Bayou, it was for dinner and they don’t serve it at dinner. Unfortunately on this trip, Pirates and the Blue Bayou were both closed. Fortunately they do serve the Monte Cristo next door at Café Orleans so I ate there.

IMG_4989.jpg

IMG_4994.jpg

I had my ipad with me in the parks so I could stay caught up on work and entertain myself when I was eating or waiting for parades or shows to start. It was great to have while I was waiting for my meal.

It’s here!!

IMG_5134.jpg

The sandwich was just amazing. I had one at the Cheesecake Factory recently, but this one beat it. Just delicious. It was also incredibly sweet and filling. I made it through two triangles before throwing in the towel.

I desperately wanted to get the beignets for dessert when I was done but there was no way. Here’s one downside to a solo trip, I can’t eat that much by myself! I wanted to try new things and take pictures of so many things, but I just couldn’t!

After my delicious meal I walked over to California Adventure. I saw these guys on the way out:

IMG_5137.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
The entrance is still so torn up! I miss those candy cane letters out front. Right now you end up walking a great deal once you enter the park. You’re surrounded by construction walls. Disney does it’s best to dress them up a little, but it’s still kind of sad looking.

IMG_5141.jpg

IMG_5676.jpg

They even decorated the walls in some places:

IMG_5680.jpg

One of our favorite places to eat:

IMG_5142.jpg

It wasn’t too crowded over here yet:

IMG_5145.jpg

Countdown for Electronica!

IMG_5144.jpg

Boo was out!

IMG_5148.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I was headed for the next showing of Aladdin which was excellent as always. I never get tired of that show. This Genie was on fire. He brought down the house. Kardashian jokes, Justin Bieber jokes, calling out crying babies in the audience. He was “En Fuego” as my hubby loves to say.

I was a little sad to see the flying carpet was still not working. There was an accident a few months ago (thankfully everyone was okay) and it’s still not flying. It was a little awkward to hear Aladdin and Jasmine singing and not have any idea where they were. The little girl next to me kept asking her mom where they were. I think it was Sweetpee that said in her recent trip report that Disney really needs a B mode for shows when something (like Hopper at It’s tough to be a Bug) isn’t going to be working for a while. They definitely needed that here.

Still a great show though.

IMG_5150.jpg

IMG_5151.jpg

IMG_5152.jpg

IMG_5153.jpg

IMG_5154.jpg

Ariel484

Love your report, Tammy! I'm glad you decided to post!

I am totally with you on The Hunger Games...I got it from the library on a whim a few months back and tore through it it less than 2 days. Great, great book...have you read books 2&3? I think the first one is the best.

The Disneyland Hotel room is so great! The headboard is fabulous!

Sweet potato fries...YUCK. I agree with you, regular ol' fries are so much better.

Thanks again for posting...I love seeing all of the DL decorations. Time to start convincing my husband that a trip out to California is in order! :lol: :lookaroun

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5168.jpg

IMG_5169.jpg

What? You don't like me? I'm a prince now!

IMG_5170.jpg

IMG_5171.jpg

IMG_5172.jpg

IMG_5173.jpg

Ahh! They do love each other!

IMG_5174.jpg

So much so that they immediately got married!

IMG_5178.jpg

IMG_5180.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I made a visit to one of my favorite attractions at Disneyland. The Zoetrope:

IMG_5653.jpg

There is no way to really describe a zoetrope. Basically there are several rings of character statues that show a progression of movement. When the rings start spinning and the lights start flashing, it looks like all the characters have started moving.

There are some good videos on youtube I’m sure.

Trust me, it is absolutely fascinating to watch. I listened to a little girl trying to convince her parents that everything was really moving for quite a while. :)

Next something happened to me that never happens. My battery was low only halfway through the day. I’ve had a few people ask me if they should invest in a grip or a second battery for their SLR. I always emphatically answer no. I have made it through countless days in the parks, numerous portrait session and other vacations and never had a problem as long as I charged it at night.

But what do you know, it was low! I must have taken (and reviewed which makes a big difference) a ton of pictures that morning! The battery still lasts a crazy long time with the low symbol on, but I didn’t want to risk it. There were too many things I wanted to catch that night.

So I headed back to the room. No it wasn’t because I could take an hour or two to read. It was the battery. Really. :lookaroun

IMG_5182.jpg

IMG_5181.jpg

Back through the wall maze:

IMG_5183.jpg

IMG_5191.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I did stop for a Mickey bar on the way back.

IMG_5195.jpg

I cut through the Grand Californian and took pictures on the way out:

IMG_5196.jpg

IMG_5198.jpg

IMG_5204.jpg

IMG_5205.jpg

IMG_5209.jpg

IMG_5211.jpg

IMG_5212.jpg

IMG_5215.jpg

When I was getting ready to go back out, I decided to upload my pictures on to my ipad to make sure I was getting some of the shots I needed. That’s no quick process so I also decided to get some dinner while they uploaded. I debated walking into Downtown Disney but in the end I went with a quesadilla from room service. It was quite yummy! I couldn’t take a picture because my camera was otherwise occupied.

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Love your report, Tammy! I'm glad you decided to post!

I am totally with you on The Hunger Games...I got it from the library on a whim a few months back and tore through it it less than 2 days. Great, great book...have you read books 2&3? I think the first one is the best.

The Disneyland Hotel room is so great! The headboard is fabulous!

Sweet potato fries...YUCK. I agree with you, regular ol' fries are so much better.

Thanks again for posting...I love seeing all of the DL decorations. Time to start convincing my husband that a trip out to California is in order! :lol: :lookaroun

Thanks, Shannon!!

I have read the second two. I enjoyed them, but the first one is absolutely the best.

Everyone needs to go to California!!:)

Coree

:eek::lookaroun:lol:

Well that's good and bad!:lol:

As much as I love Disneyland, and I do(!), if I had to choose between it and the Fantasy, I'd be on the Fantasy.

And as soon as I got back I'd start planning a trip to Disneyland. :D

Oooooh, I like the way you think. :D

Your photos are amazing. Can I borrow your magic camera in October? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom