The Should I or Should I Not Write a Trip Report for a Solo Trip to Disneyland

Okay, I was torn! I wasn’t sure this short little solo trip was worth a report! Then I ended up with some time on my hands and decided I could do a quick one. I didn’t take a single note, so this is all off memory and photos!

And when I say photos, I mean a gazillion photos. This was a photo trip and I took close to 2000. It is taking me forever to process them all. So while this was a short trip and I finished the text quickly, it may take a while to get it all up because of the photos.

Who: Well just me!! A solo trip was something new for me. I’ve done several trips without my family – travel agent education trips, cheap last minute girl’s cruises, etc. But all by my lonesome? Never! Here I am!

IMG_5086.jpg

But the truth was, I needed to go and no one else could get away with me kind of last minute. I’ve been a Disneyland blog contributor for Touringplans.com lately and I haven’t been since February! I was starting to feel out of touch with my beloved Disneyland. I was also running out of pictures!!

That was another reason I hesitated to bring a friend. My primary goal was to check on some things and take a gazillion pictures. Rides weren’t even on my radar – much. :D I knew I probably wouldn’t be the most fun traveling companion with these goals, so solo it was!

It was also much cheaper that way. One plane ticket with hubby’s frequent flyer miles, one comp ticket, and a military discount on a room. Score!

Disneyland during the holidays is really something else. In my opinion, they put WDW’s decorations to shame. The decorations at Disneyland are so extensive it’s amazing, but it’s a lot more than that! The special snacks and desserts, the live reindeer at Santa’s ranch, the snow on Main Street, and the list goes on. The ride overlays of Haunted Mansion and Small World are worth the trip alone. Disneyland doesn't just throw some garland on the rides. They overlays are extensive to say the least. It’s really something every Disney fan should experience at least once.

My parents flew in to take over my main job, while my hubby brings home the bacon, driving the kids back and forth to school and various youth group activities, sports practices and games. My almost 17 year old still does not have his driver’s license. It’s a mixture of a few things. One, the most surprising for us, is the lack of excitement about it. When we turned 15 we went that very day to start the process! Today it seems like ds and his friends just don’t care much. Probably because they’ve still got their mom to drive them everywhere. :lookaroun There’s also been a big problem getting Virginia to accept his Colorado permit and Drivers Ed which we paid $800 for, 32 hours in a classroom and spent over 40 hours behind the wheel. Virginia is insisting he needs to take their Drivers Ed for $300, 36 more classroom hours and spend 40 more training hours behind the wheel. Um. No. Don’t have time and not worth it. The third reason is my complete terror of my son driving in DC. I mean, it’s crazy here. There are no quiet back roads. Everywhere we go is on a major highway or interstate that is packed from 5 am to around midnight. I’m in no hurry for him to be driving around on his own here. No hurry at all.

Sorry, back to the trip report. Dad and Mom came to take over for me and I was off!

Saturday, November 12 – Departure Day

I didn’t want to leave to early so I could spend a little time with Dad and Mom. They came in late Thursday night so we did get to spend Friday exploring DC together. My flight didn’t leave until noon. I crammed everything into a carry on so I wouldn’t have to pay the accursed bag fees.

Once we got to the airport, I made a horrible mistake. I had a few books on my kindle app on the ipad that I had saved up to read on all the upcoming trips. I don’t let myself read much, unless I’m traveling, for one reason. I get completely obsessed with books. I mean I can not put them down. When I start a good one, I will stay up until all hours of the night so I can finish it. So when I picked a book to start, let’s just say I chose poorly.

Dd had read The Hunger Games series on her kindle several months ago. I didn’t do much checking before she bought it, just because I’d heard so many good reviews. At one point we asked her what it was about. When she told us it was about teenagers who had to fight to the death as a sacrifice for their community -:eek: - I was feeling serious parent guilt! Oh my word! Should she have read that? Should I have read them before I let her?

Well I didn’t and was finally getting around to it now. I thought it would be a quick read and I could get it over with so I’d enjoy the movie more when it was released.

Oh. My. Word.

That book was so incredibly totally awesome. I could NOT put it down!! That’s not a way to start a Disney trip!! I had a lot to do and I didn’t want anything else competing for my attention at Disneyland, but I knew this book series was going to.

That’s a crazy long flight from Dulles to LAX. I mean crazy long. Like 6 hours? The movie was Rise of the Planet of the Apes, which I’d seen before. I really enjoyed it the first time, but was I going to put down Hunger Games to watch it? No way!

I was actually a little sad when the plane landed. When my plane landed at Disney, I was a little sad. How many kinds of wrong is that? :cry:

I did force myself to put it down and deplaned with everyone else. I lucked out, there was a Disneyland Express Shuttle waiting and I got right on.

The front of the resort is a wreck right now. The bus couldn’t even get up next to the resort to drop us off. We literally had to drag our bags, in the rain, through a parking lot to get to an entrance. Since I had tons of camera equipment and everything for 3 nights crammed into my backpack and rolling bag, this was no easy task.

The entrance wasn’t easy to find either! Another couple had been dropped off with me and we ended up going in a side entrance near the convention center. I was a little turned around but I knew we hadn’t come in near the lobby. I asked someone who was setting up for a convention if she happened to know where the lobby was. She acted completely offended that I had asked her. She said, "I don’t work here!" Alright. Thanks! :shrug:

We finally went out of the building and I recognized where we were. I told the other couple to follow me and we made our way to the check in desks.

I have had a few instances at the Disneyland Hotel where dragging suitcases from the back of the parking lot to the far away room was sheer torture and I was ready to slap my grandma by the time we found our room. This was one of those times. I needed to refind some Disney cheer when I got to my room.

My first reaction was – shoot. I’m alone! This is kind of sad. My second was, it’s okay! It’s Disney!

The redone rooms at the Disneyland Hotel are really beautiful. The headboard is – dare I say it – just magical. When you turn it on, the fireworks light up and music plays. I loved it. I wanted to sleep with it on every night.

One slight benefit to being alone – no one to mess up the room before you can take pictures!

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4660.jpg

IMG_4663.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Hooray! Loving this trip report, Tammy. I'm sure you were totally in your element just wandering around and taking pictures. Your UWA shots are great! I love the one of the family on Casey Jr.

Like you, I have trouble putting books down when I pick them up, and you've got me completely intrigued - I think I might just have to pick up Hunger Games. The fact that you were "sad" to get off the plane just cracks me up. :lol:

I know! Isn't that so wrong!! :lol: Definitely try Hunger Games. It's sooooo good!! The first one is the best, but they're all enjoyable.

Very nice photos!! Thanks for posting!

Thanks for reading, Steve! :)

plaz10

Like you, I have trouble putting books down when I pick them up, and you've got me completely intrigued - I think I might just have to pick up Hunger Games. The fact that you were "sad" to get off the plane just cracks me up. :lol:

Holly you MUST read the Hunger Games. I adore these books. I actually lost a good bit of weight at the beginning of the year and I attribute it to those books. I read them on the treadmill and could not stop reading - therefore could not stop running. Read them all in less than a week. Fantastic!

I'm actually re-reading them all right now in prep for the movie. Really really fantastic novels. And they are just a fun read!

Tammy: First you got me really wanting to cruise..now I really want to visit DL. Honeymoon in DL perhaps? Hmmm that way I'd be checking 2 must do Disney vacations in 2013 in a matter of months. I like this idea.

skeletor1990

I just started reading and had to comment. My mom is your reading twin! She does the same thing with books...when she really likes a book she does not stop reading. It's a little scary! You really can't get through to her when she's that engrossed. She did pretty much the same thing you did with the Hunger Games when I gave them to her. And when I was 8 and had just read the first Harry Potter book, she picked it up right after me and stayed up all night to read it! :eek: Too funny!

I'm also really excited for the Hunger Games movie to come out, but I need to reread the books beforehand!

I'm going to go back and read now. I'm always a fan of your photos and reports so I'm looking forward to it :)

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Holly you MUST read the Hunger Games. I adore these books. I actually lost a good bit of weight at the beginning of the year and I attribute it to those books. I read them on the treadmill and could not stop reading - therefore could not stop running. Read them all in less than a week. Fantastic!

I'm actually re-reading them all right now in prep for the movie. Really really fantastic novels. And they are just a fun read!

Tammy: First you got me really wanting to cruise..now I really want to visit DL. Honeymoon in DL perhaps? Hmmm that way I'd be checking 2 must do Disney vacations in 2013 in a matter of months. I like this idea.

You must. I like this idea. :)

Love the pictures! You make me look at DL in an entirely new way!

Thanks Empress Lilly!

I just started reading and had to comment. My mom is your reading twin! She does the same thing with books...when she really likes a book she does not stop reading. It's a little scary! You really can't get through to her when she's that engrossed. She did pretty much the same thing you did with the Hunger Games when I gave them to her. And when I was 8 and had just read the first Harry Potter book, she picked it up right after me and stayed up all night to read it! :eek: Too funny!

I'm also really excited for the Hunger Games movie to come out, but I need to reread the books beforehand!

I'm going to go back and read now. I'm always a fan of your photos and reports so I'm looking forward to it :)

She is my reading twin! My dh thinks it's crazy so I'm always glad when I hear of others like me. I'm definitely rereading the books before the movie. I'll save that for another trip coming up!

Awesome pictures. LOVE the headboard in the hotel room. Super cool. I think I want one for my room!! :lol:

Can't wait to read more!! :)

I love that headboard too! Wouldn't that be awesome if we could buy them!!

Pooh'sBuddy

Okay, I was torn! I wasn’t sure this short little solo trip was worth a report! Then I ended up with some time on my hands and decided I could do a quick one. I didn’t take a single note, so this is all off memory and photos!

Dd had read The Hunger Games series on her kindle several months ago. I didn’t do much checking before she bought it, just because I’d heard so many good reviews. At one point we asked her what it was about. When she told us it was about teenagers who had to fight to the death as a sacrifice for their community -:eek: - I was feeling serious parent guilt! Oh my word! Should she have read that? Should I have read them before I let her?

I'm glad you did, although I try not to read many trip reports since we're not going back for another 543 days (not that I'm counting).

That book is fabulous! I just read it yesterday.

Your room was amazing!!! Oh, I want to go so badly. And all your pictures so far are great. : )

TheMouseFan

I am so glad you decided to write this report!! I've been pushing for our next trip to be to Disneyland and your pictures will definitely help my case!! Can't wait to read more!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I'm glad you did, although I try not to read many trip reports since we're not going back for another 543 days (not that I'm counting).

That book is fabulous! I just read it yesterday.

Your room was amazing!!! Oh, I want to go so badly. And all your pictures so far are great. : )

I know the feeling! I seem to read more trip reports when I'm close to a trip too!

It is a great book. Loved it!!

Thanks for reading!

I am so glad you decided to write this report!! I've been pushing for our next trip to be to Disneyland and your pictures will definitely help my case!! Can't wait to read more!

Yay! I'm glad I can help!

Eagerly awaiting more............... :lol::lol::wave::wave:

I'm trying!:)

PartOfYourWorld

I loooove all these pictures of Disneyland! I've never been there, and one day I really hope too!!! I seriously love the picture that's on one of the walls near the bed of Walt walking in front of Sleeping Beauty castle, just gorgeous!

And I wanted to say no worries about your son not getting his license, I didn't get mine until I was almost 18.

Also, everyone keeps talking about the Hunger Games, and I think soon I will have to read them!

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
I loooove all these pictures of Disneyland! I've never been there, and one day I really hope too!!! I seriously love the picture that's on one of the walls near the bed of Walt walking in front of Sleeping Beauty castle, just gorgeous!

And I wanted to say no worries about your son not getting his license, I didn't get mine until I was almost 18.

Also, everyone keeps talking about the Hunger Games, and I think soon I will have to read them!

I love that picture too!

It does seem to be the trend that people are getting their licenses later! We may have a shot to get it in Colorado when we go home for Christmas. We'll see!!

And yes, Jess, you must try them. :)

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Okay, I don't have a huge chunk of the day done yet, but I've got lots more pictures! So I'll put them up!

Big Thunder:

IMG_4886.jpg

IMG_4899.jpg

IMG_4915.jpg

Frontierland:

IMG_4932.jpg

New Orleans Square:

IMG_4936.jpg

IMG_4997.jpg

IMG_4945.jpg

IMG_4946.jpg

IMG_4992.jpg

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Pirates Lair:

IMG_4983.jpg

Haunted Mansion with overlay:

IMG_4979.jpg

IMG_4982.jpg

IMG_4951.jpg

IMG_4952.jpg

At some point I realized yet another critical error I had made. I was using a new lens and didn’t even notice I had accidentally knocked it over to manual focus. Why didn’t I notice my camera didn’t seem to be focusing you ask? Well my camera has been giving me focus problems for months. It’s intermittent, so I debated for way too long if it was operator error or a real problem I should send it in for. I never had a focus confirmation beep anymore, and the viewfinder view never seemed focused. So I just shot away as normal.

It wasn’t until I took some time to sit for a minute and go through what I’d been getting that I noticed my focus was even worse than usual. Mercy. It’s like I’ve never taken pictures before. :rolleyes:

I ended up retracing most of my steps and taking the same pictures over again. Unfortunately I’d lost some great morning lighting by then.

By the way, a couple of days ago I think I diagnosed all of my focusing issues with the help of a great photography board and my camera now seems to be in proper working order again. :sohappy:

Disneyfalcon

Original Poster
Disneyland has some really great popcorn dudes. I’m sure there’s a more technical name but right now, that’s all I got. Popcorn dudes. Here’s Oogie Boogie back by the Haunted Mansion:

IMG_4986.jpg

IMG_4988.jpg

Here’s this guy in Frontierland:

IMG_4998.jpg

IMG_4999.jpg

Snacks!

IMG_5000.jpg

IMG_5003.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom