News The Seas pavilion new color scheme

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
There is zero chance that Nemo is being removed from The Seas.
Clickbait โ€œrumorsโ€, and then this is posted.

Chester Cheetah Mic Drop GIF by Cheetos

๐Ÿ˜

WaluigiTime

I never minded Nemo much at the Seas, the hydrolators were a cool effect but the ride was basically a glorified entrance to the aquarium. If Nemo attracts more people into learning about ocean life than it is a plus to me and the aquarium is more or less the same as it was.

Bocabear

I never minded Nemo much at the Seas, the hydrolators were a cool effect but the ride was basically a glorified entrance to the aquarium. If Nemo attracts more people into learning about ocean life than it is a plus to me and the aquarium is more or less the same as it was.
It was a glorified entrance to the aquarium... but so much more... It was about the formation of the seas...and then transported you into the story...taking a journey to the bottom of the ocean to a sea-base... That was transportive Disney magic...
a cartoon kiddie ride to an ok aquarium visit is so much less...
And I feel like the cartoon characters actually detract from the real-thing on the other side of the glass.
What if the ride portion took you through the formation of the seas... like the original pre-show did...that would be amazing.

Disney Analyst

All these changes made me finally look up how The Living Seas used to function, before the change. I had heard all about the hydrolators, but didn't really fundamentally understand the entry and exit experience, or how the omnimover was originally designed.

Very interesting stuff. I feel the original experience, while cool and world building, would have grown tiresome if you just wanted to get in and experience the pavillion. In those original days, was there any bypass, or did you ALWAYS have to watch the movie, enter a hydrolator, and board the Seacabs?

Bocabear

All these changes made me finally look up how The Living Seas used to function, before the change. I had heard all about the hydrolators, but didn't really fundamentally understand the entry and exit experience, or how the omnimover was originally designed.

Very interesting stuff. I feel the original experience, while cool and world building, would have grown tiresome if you just wanted to get in and experience the pavillion. In those original days, was there any bypass, or did you ALWAYS have to watch the movie, enter a hydrolator, and board the Seacabs?
there was no bypass...and then you WANTED to take the hydrolators and the sea cabs...it was part of the experience. It was the story...And it was fantastic.
People today want everything in short order...Why even tell a story...Just give them the finale to everything.

Disney Analyst

there was no bypass...and then you WANTED to take the hydrolators and the sea cabs...it was part of the experience. It was the story...And it was fantastic.
People today want everything in short order...Why even tell a story...Just give them the finale to everything.

I mean, it's simply a fact that the human attention span is dwindling.

Not that I think that should dictate attraction experiences too heavily, but it is a reality they have the face. People will avoid attractions that become too cumbersome (Energy of Life).

Horizonsfan

They created bypasses after United Technologies left (around the millennium)

As somebody whoโ€™s extremely sympathetic and misses the old Epcot, the seacabs were severely lacking. They seemed overly VEโ€™d. After the amazing effect of the hydrolators, the cabs felt underwhelming.

The film was a different story and just needed a refresh.

In another world, thereโ€™d be a hybrid of the two styling where the queue is a scientific facility, descend in a hydrolator, board an exploration vessel and encounter Nemo on an excursion out to the sea base.

Wasnโ€™t there a rumor of bringing back the exit hydrolators a few years ago? While not perfect, thatโ€™d greatly enhance the current experience.

Bocabear

It was not that involved...The movie was not too long... but the setup was everything. You would hear people gasp when the doors opened up to the hydrolators...
And yeah attention span is getting shorter...and they have cut a lot of the demonstrations and things they used to do in the pavilion too... But getting out of your seacab and seeing the diver lock out tube in-use, it really felt like you were at the bottom of the sea.... and it begged to be explored... Now it is like people go in, walk a circle and leave... Just not as compelling....and the only thing you "learn" is that there are fish in an aquarium in Epcot....
I agree the Seacabs could have been a more thrilling part ...originally they were supposed to travel through glass tubes which would have looked more amazing....

UNCgolf

While this is probably true, we also need to remember that most people don't visit Disney regularly. It's not going to be tiresome to someone who only sees it once or twice every few years (or longer) as opposed to people who are there multiple times a year, and that's the majority of Disney visitors. You could make a similar argument about most attraction preshows (although that's admittedly a bit different, since attraction preshows are functionally just replacing additional queue space).

The original pavilion experience was one of the very best things anywhere at WDW when I was a kid and I wish some version of it still existed. That said, I don't think it would be a problem to have a bypass entrance/exit somewhere else too for people who wanted to skip it to go straight to the aquarium... it's a moot point, though, since they're not bringing that back.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I guess we can look forward to a future where the Tower Of Terror will no longer have a pre-show or themed queue...because some people just want to get to the drop...I would hate to force them to experience the pre-show every time they want to ride.....lol

Disney Analyst

It was not that involved...The movie was not too long... but the setup was everything. You would hear people gasp when the doors opened up to the hydrolators...
And yeah attention span is getting shorter...and they have cut a lot of the demonstrations and things they used to do in the pavilion too... But getting out of your seacab and seeing the diver lock out tube in-use, it really felt like you were at the bottom of the sea.... and it begged to be explored... Now it is like people go in, walk a circle and leave... Just not as compelling....and the only thing you "learn" is that there are fish in an aquarium in Epcot....
I agree the Seacabs could have been a more thrilling part ...originally they were supposed to travel through glass tubes which would have looked more amazing....

I did see that the early concepts for the pavilion had a much grander dark ride experience planned, involving Poseidon or something.

Bocabear

Yes! It looked very involved...but that version never saw the light of day... The pavilion that debuted was pretty amazing though, and like all of the original EPCOT, was inspiring and educational without feeling like you were being "schooled"...It was so clever and well done....and even having the "return Hydrolators" at the exit... So beautifully done.

HMF

Not sure, but I recall @marni1971 mentioning it. On the 2017 era long term EPCOT plan schedule there was $100 Million designated as "Living Seas Enhancement"
That doesn't necessarily mean they are getting rid of Nemo. I personally would not mind a few Finding Nemo/Dory elements in the pavilion . The problem is instead of enhancing the pavilion, Nemo invaded the whole pavilion.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not sure, but I recall @marni1971 mentioning it. On the 2017 era long term EPCOT plan schedule there was $100 Million designated as "Living Seas Enhancement"
Yes. The building was going to be extended with a โ€œvirtual tankโ€ add On. I canโ€™t recall the theme plans at the mo though. Iโ€™ll have to have a dig but Iโ€™m currently sat in the Starliner in Hong Kong Disneyland ๐Ÿ˜

I think this pavilion needs something, but I don't know what. I'm not a huge fan of Nemo's presence anymore. I loved it when I was young and the movie was still new, but it's just tired at this point. I haven't been to WDW since 2017, but we were already skipping this, or just riding when we had nothing else to do. But what to do with it now? I don't know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom