The Sad, Sad Tale of Marvel Super Hero Island

S.I.R. the Robot

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
For those who're wondering I got banned from InsideUniversal June of 2022 (not for the VA thing, but because of my RP compulsion...) So I gonna hang out here now...

Marvel screwed themselves over with Universal. And there's no way to fix this, because Disney doesn't even care about their most popular superheroes. Man up, Disney... just buy Universal (ON SECOND THOUGHT, NOPEICANTBELIEVEIJUSTSAIDTHATNOOOOOO--)

Also for those who love Doom's.... it's never gonna go due to this.... UNLIMITED FOOT DIVE!! WHOOOOO

though seriously. this place sucks now.

Sorcerer Mickey

For those who're wondering I got banned from InsideUniversal June of 2022 (not for the VA thing, but because of my RP compulsion...) So I gonna hang out here now...

Marvel screwed themselves over with Universal. And there's no way to fix this, because Disney doesn't even care about their most popular superheroes. Man up, Disney... just buy Universal (ON SECOND THOUGHT, NOPEICANTBELIEVEIJUSTSAIDTHATNOOOOOO--)

Also for those who love Doom's.... it's never gonna go due to this.... UNLIMITED FOOT DIVE!! WHOOOOO

Marvel Super Hero Island definitely wreaks of the 90s, but at least it has personality. DCA's Avengers Campus is filled with industrial-looking buildings and kinda looks like a really small military base.

S.I.R. the Robot

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Marvel Super Hero Island definitely wreaks of the 90s, but at least it has personality. DCA's Avengers Campus is filled with industrial-looking buildings and kinda looks like a really small military base.
That's cause it's based on the MCU... screw being grounded in reality.... i like good ol '90s cheese better

JT3000

While I'm not a regular user of InsideUniversal, something tells me no one was wondering.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I doubt Comcast has any desire to sell the parks.

Last edited:

OwlHouseKing97

In the Parks
No

It also stinks that this is the reason why we can't have Moon Girl(she's not in the MCU, but rather an animated series that people are questioning about her existence(she's a newer Marvel character), Black Panther(he's already banned from appearing at WDW, despite celebrity efforts of bringing Wakanda to what was the Most Magical Place on Earth), Shang Chi, etc. at WDW despite their popularity, too bad there's no way for this to be fixed(like you said)

Hawkeye_2018

I've never been to Universal since the Marvel stuff opened, but it does look pretty lame other than the Spiderman ride which looks way better than the one in DL

S.I.R. the Robot

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Just have Universal get the COMIC versions of the characters (kinda like Antz vs. A Bug's Life) and sign deals with Disney if they have to.

JT3000

Im actually surprised Universal doesnt want a big check from Disney and they can redo the land with some IP they actually own
Oh, I'm sure Universal would gladly accept the MASSIVE check required to take the Marvel rights off their hands. Is Disney willing to write that check? As we've already seen, the answer is a resounding no.

Unlike a lot of Disney fans who don't really understand the situation and can't possibly fathom why Marvel wasn't already in WDW a decade ago, Disney themselves have thoroughly analyzed every letter of the contract and know Universal holds all the cards with regards to the current arrangement. They know that they have no reason to lowball themselves either. Universal doesn't mind paying the paltry royalty fees agreed upon for not only using an IP that their competitor is responsible for maintaining the popularity of, but also to deny that same competitor the ability to actually make money off their most popular characters in their east coast parks. It's the ultimate troll. You don't give up the ultimate troll for pennies.

Last edited:

S.I.R. the Robot

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Oh, I'm sure Universal would gladly accept the MASSIVE check required to take the Marvel rights off their hands. Is Disney willing to write that check? As we've already seen, the answer is a resounding no.

Unlike a lot of Disney fans who don't really understand the situation and can't possibly fathom why Marvel wasn't already in WDW a decade ago, Disney themselves have thoroughly analyzed every letter of the contract and know Universal holds all the cards with regards to the current arrangement. They know that they have no reason to lowball themselves either. Universal doesn't mind paying the paltry royalty fees agreed upon for not only using an IP that their competitor is responsible for maintaining the popularity of, but also to deny that same competitor the ability to actually make money off their most popular characters in their east coast parks. It's the ultimate troll. You don't give up the ultimate troll for pennies.
Universal hasn't changed since their Cat in the Hat movie days, I see...

Hawkeye_2018

Yeah you're probably right. It's likely more that Disney is not ready to write that check than Universal not wanting to give up the Marvel stuff. For now, Disney seems content with Marvel being at all other non FL parks

Sorcerer Mickey

Im actually surprised Universal doesnt want a big check from Disney and they can redo the land with some IP they actually own
Which of their IPs would be as well-known as Marvel? It would have to be a franchise that can sustain a whole land of its own and four attractions.

Spider-Man was redone within the past decade and the Hulk coaster was completely rebuilt within the past five years. Super Hero Island is definitely important to Universal.

JT3000

Quite the opposite. They actively enjoy the status quo.
I'm sure they do, but Disney refusing to pony up while Marvel is still at the peak of its popularity has to play a major role in their decision-making, as the rest of my post explained. Would Universal rather sell the park rights for a truly astronomical fee to a willing Disney, or still have possession of the rights when everything has petered out back to its pre-MCU levels of interest, with an area of the park that's still stuck in time? I'm betting the former. The fact that Disney owns the property and has to do all the legwork in keeping it popular introduces a unique wrinkle to the arrangement, but they're not going to keep it this popular forever, no matter what they do. Many would argue it's already on the downslide. Universal obviously has the advantage either way, since the status quo requires relatively little investment on their end, but their position isn't bullet-proof. They have to do what's good for business and make the most of it. Same goes for Disney, who aren't buying because they arguably don't need to. At least not at the gargantuan price Universal would ask. After all, they're still free to build crappy Marvel attractions using the A-list characters elsewhere, and they seem surprisingly content with doing just that.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom