The only way Disney can beat Harry Potter

Bairstow

I absolutely agree. I don't care about attendance, profit, awards, etc. I just care about what it is that I'm paying so much for - an enjoyable experience. At the end of the day, it's this competition that drives the creation of such wonderful attractions. There doesn't have to be a winner or a loser. I usually hold passes to both parks simultaneously, so when it comes to acquiring my business as a paying customer, they both win. And when they compete with each other when creating new attractions and experiences, we - the guests - win.

If anything, Disney fans should be praying that Universal starts to "win", or at least begins to siphon away business from Disney in earnest. Only the threat of losing business will motivate Disney management to change their current strategy of raising ticket prices above the 3-digit mark while neither improving nor maintaining their current parks.

CP_alum08

Why does it have to be a competition of which is better? Enjoy each park for what it is respectively. Disney has record profits and Universal seems to be doing quite well too.
I agree too.

BUT...I think Harry Potter in IOA is all about quality vs. quantity. I would much rather see quality attractions at WDW (even if that means just fixing what is already there) than entire new lands or even gates.

Timekeeper

If anything, Disney fans should be praying that Universal starts to "win", or at least begins to siphon away business from Disney in earnest. Only the threat of losing business will motivate Disney management to change their current strategy of raising ticket prices above the 3-digit mark while neither improving nor maintaining their current parks.

Exactly. Competition benefits all of us. Disney wasn't nervously trying to put out the next big thing - like Avatarland - to compete with something like Splendid China. If all we had in Florida were Disney and LegoLand, would we have still seen this Avatar announcement? I doubt it.

FettFan

Is to build a whole area for star wars. There's area behind star wars section of DHS. If they went all out and added a new coaster, family ride, scenery, food and drink. It can be done. From what I'm told by a very good source, this is a very real possibility ;-)

(After George Lucas rode The Forbidden Journey, he immediately called Disney and asked why his ride wasn't as cool)

Which makes us wonder.....

Disney can beat Harry Potter by focusing on rehab and maintenance instead of building new things.

Universal is just another freakin' theme park....it is practically Six Flags with more money.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Exactly! That's the essence of capitalism, as they say! Competition. Why I am not up in arms about anything new going into Uni, because in a few years, additions will be added to WDW and Uni will be viewed as stale. It's cyclical. Yes, the waiting for us Disney fans is the hardest part but...we will get new stuff and I think it'll be amazing. Carsland and New Fantasyland are a step in the right direction and hopefully Ghost of Christmases Yet to Come.

BryceM

Disney can beat Harry Potter by focusing on rehab and maintenance instead of building new things.

Universal is just another freakin' theme park....it is practically Six Flags with more money.
Universal isn't another theme park. It's a whole resort with 2 amazing theme parks, an entertainment district and world class hotels. God forbid you can actually see roller coaster tracks, which I guess is where you are drawing your comparison from.

I agree with a previous comment... Why does it always have to be which is better?

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I would disagree. Yes, well mainted attractions are important, but guests are only going to keep going if new things are introduced. People will eventually get tired of the same attractions and start spending less time at Disney and going other places for the rest of thier time in Orlando. If there were no competition, Disney could get away with this, but if the park down the road keeps introducing high quality new attractions they are going to siphon off visitors.

FettFan

God forbid you can actually see roller coaster tracks, which I guess is where you are drawing your comparison from.

No. I draw that comparison from the aura each park gives off. Disney has this wonderful sense of magic about it through their theming and their much better customer service.
When I went to Universal, there is no real magic to it...you're just at a theme park, everyone knows you're at a theme park.

Besides, you can see the tracks at all of Disney's outdoor coasters.

So nyah.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
No. I draw that comparison from the aura each park gives off. Disney has this wonderful sense of magic about it through their theming and their much better customer service.
When I went to Universal, there is no real magic to it...you're just at a theme park, everyone knows you're at a theme park.

So nyah.
I disagree, but I had to "Like" your comment due to the last line.

BryceM

So nyah.
True, but Disney incorporates their tracks into rock work and the such. The Incredible Hulk, Dueling Dragons and Rip, Ride, RockIt are true roller coasters, and many hard-core Disney fans will attack this and say it's like Six Flags.

And Universal's customer service has come a long way. Every experience there is usually very pleasant. And what's that about theming? I'd say both Disney and Universal match each other in quality of theming, and that's what separates them from the average "theme" park!

wdwfan4ver

I really don't think Star Wars is the only way to beat Potter, but I think Disney should be more focusing on improving their parks than only looking at beating universal. I am saying that because one of the 2 Universal Parks are capable of having more attendance than AK besides DHS after Potter Expansion 2.0 is done. That is caused by Disney no focusing on DHS and AK more in the past. DHS has a lot of issues that need to be care of and AK is an incomplete park.

Star Wars is a bad fit for AK for the most part outside of Jar Jar land and that is a land that most Star Wars Fan Boy don't want or the general public. What AK really needs to do is add attractions that aren't movie related. I am talking about stuff like adding Ponda's or add attractions like a unicorn ride.

While Star Wars is a big franchise, DHS also has Pixar. Having Pixar movie attractions that aren't in any other Disney Park would be a way to draw people into DHS. Right now there is no WALL.E attractions and attractions for the incredibles as examples. I am not saying there shouldn't an expansion Star Wars because I actually feel DHS doesn't do enough for Star Wars outside of Star Wars weekends.

BringMeTheHoriz

So nyah.

The Disney properties are Theme parks as well. I think you're trying to say "amusement" instead of theme.

And its all based on opinions. Having been to 8 different Six Flags parks in the US, plus 2 Cedar Fair Parks, plus others (Hershey, Kennywood, etc), I can honestly say Universal is lightyears beyond those parks in terms of theme (Although Cedar Point will always be my #1 park based on coasters alone). Six Flags puts up some cardboard cutouts (see: Bizzaro) and calls that theme. The last time I went to Universal was in 2007, and I'm probably going to by an annual pass to go along with my WDW and SeaWorld/Busch Gardens passes. Want to know why? Because all of these parks do something different for me. If I want to ride some crazy roller coasters I go to Busch Gardens/Sea World (Manta is the best coaster in central Florida). If I want some magic, great shows, and amazing fireworks, Disney it is. If I want a mixed experience, Universal provides a perfect balance of thrills, shows, and other things to keep me entertained.

You are right about one thing, Universal doesn't create magic.....it creates a sense of adventure and discovery.

Oh, and as for the topic at hand. Star Wars does absolutely nothing for me, so I'm neither for nor against. Cars Land is the only thing I really want, but I'd do just fine without, because I still enjoy the other attractions on the property.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

So nyah.

Not the its so magical corporate defence. Other than that your posts are truly laughable, keep away from the solvents.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

A proverbial hamster in it's track....

Buff_Hamster.jpg

Bob Saget

Say what you will about the Disney/Universal rivalry. But as someone who has visited all chains of theme parks & amusement parks across the country, I wholeheartedly believe the words "Six Flags" should never...ever be mentioned when comparing to anything the Orlando market has to offer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom