The old 7 Seas lagoon wave machine?

TheOneVader

Originally posted by cloudboy
Same with the lake between the Boardwalk and Yacht and Beach, but that is connected to the Showcase Laggon by the aqueduct and that must have an outlet where the bring Illuminations in?

Yes, there is an area right next to the China pavillion, and it's all doen behind China.

Originally posted by TimeTrip
Theres also the "deadly bacteria in warm lakes" factor that is one of the biggest reasons why swimming isn't allowed. I think :)

Yes, I heard of this, also. If there is this bacteria, why is swimming allowed in the 7 Seas Lagoon?

And again, how did the WS Lagoon/Yacht and Beach lagoon get so polluted?

TimeTrip

Originally posted by TheOneVader
Yes, I heard of this, also. If there is this bacteria, why is swimming allowed in the 7 Seas Lagoon?

As far as I had heard, swimming isn't allowed in the 7 seas lagoon. Swimming *is* allowed in the sense that if you fall into the water while waterskiing or something, you are swimming. However, the bacteria isn't a concern at that point since you're probably already far away from the shore. The bacteria becomes a problem when entering the lake from a beach. The bacteria live on the bottom of the lake, and by walking into a lake you stir up the sand and the bacteria. This increases the likelihood of the bacteria causing problems. Thats what I've heard at least.

CoraJack

Account Suspended
Swimming is not allowed in the Seven Seas Lagoon either. It's not allowed in any of the Disney lakes at all.

LOL about falling in...but this did happen to a friend of mine. He rented a boat and was out on the lake. He fell in and kind of messed around in the water for a bit, then when he took the boat back to the dock he saw an alligator. Next, he went and threw up. Yikes!

Christina

Originally posted by s25843
I know the Bay Lake/SS Lagoon has had its share of gators throughout the years, so that is another factor in the No Swimming rule

All lakes in Florida have gators and they don't prohibit swimming everywhere. There is more chance of someone getting the bacteria than coming in contact with a gator. Especially if its primarily a recreation lake (skiing, swimming, etc.).

DonickCo

Original Poster
Don’t they still do a triathlon or some sort of swimming race where they swim across the lake.

-DonickCo

UltimateCoaster

Is the machine still there today?

I went in February, but I didnt know about the machine. THen again, I find it hard to believe I would miss something so obvious.

So, if the machine still is there today, are the above water portions still there?

If not, then can you see the portions that are underwater?

Finally, does anyone have any recent pictures of the machine (above or under water)?

I really am fascinated with this wave machine. I remember going out to the lake with my dad as a kid and wondering what the pipes were (we rented the Mouser boats), but we always attributed it to the water show.

Robfasto

UltimateCoaster said:
Is the machine still there today?

I went in February, but I didnt know about the machine. THen again, I find it hard to believe I would miss something so obvious.

So, if the machine still is there today, are the above water portions still there?

If not, then can you see the portions that are underwater?

Finally, does anyone have any recent pictures of the machine (above or under water)?

I really am fascinated with this wave machine. I remember going out to the lake with my dad as a kid and wondering what the pipes were (we rented the Mouser boats), but we always attributed it to the water show.

All parts of it have been removed both above and below water, I am not sure when it was removed but I know for a fact that it was gone in 2002.

EDIT:
Just check an old aerial view from January 1999 it was gone then also.

dr_teeth90210

Do any of you guys remember about that incident that happened at the 7 seas lagoon sevral years ago.

It started out one evening when a couple staying at the Grand Floridian was having dinner at Citricos and got into some form of an argument. The guy apparently was so upset that he walked out of the restaraunt. The next morning they found him dead, floating in the 7 seas lagoon. Authorities said that he went swimming in the late hours of the evening and drowned.

Not that this has anything to do with the wave machine but it's certainly a good reasone NOT to swim in the Disney lakes...especially at night.

thimblekisses

AACK! This whole thread terrifies me. I had no idea anything like that was ever in the lake!
This is the part where I explain that I have major problems with robotic things in the water, including audioanimatronics. Now I realize that Disney is brilliant and has engineered these things to function perfectly well in the water, but nevertheless the mere concept of robots in water freaks me out.
I can't ride Jungle Cruise for this very reason. Nor could I even look in the direction of 20k.
So the idea that there's a big machine down in that lake (or WAS a big machine) creeps me out even more, especially if there's a possibility that it's still down there, all corroded. YIKES!

UltimateCoaster

Yeah, I just want to know for a fact whether or not it is still there. It seems every site I check, some sites (such as Jimhillmedia.com) say that the machine is still there, just very corroded, and others say it was removed.

I thought it couldnt be removed without draining the lake, which is why Im confused.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Without digging back through this thread I believe it only lasted a few years before the above-water part was removed, the foundations are still there. Beach errosion at the Poly was the main culprit.

This is really interesting. Leave it to Disney to put a Wave Machine in a lake. Shows how far they are willing to go for presentation. Too bad it was causing problems, that would be really cool to see today.

But I do kinda agree with ThimbleKisses, That is kinda creepy to have this giant machine under the lagoon just rusting away. I would be kinda nervous getting around it. But thats me :)

-DGJ

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom