The old 7 Seas lagoon wave machine?

SpaceMountainUK

I belive the beaches are open all year round, well we had no probelm using the sun loungers in august.Swimming is not permited at all, well thats what they offically say.

Im sure there are gators and snakes in those waters aswell

freaklarm

They open the beaches for swimming also, as I said, some weeks during not so hot months, and for competitions and if you go water skiing or wave runner you might eventually end up swimming. And yes there are alligators, how do I say this, ALL OVER Florida, not just here, I see them every day. Never seen a snake here though. And talking about "things" that swim, you can also see deers swimming at night, usually from DI to FW, kinda funny...

mrtoad

Wave machine closed...

I will have to go home and check but I have a book called Since the World Began that my father purchased for me in the Magic Kingdom during the 25th Aniversary. If I am not mistaken the book said the wave machine actually was stopped being used before the park even opened. In the book it said the machine was still in the water (at least at the time of the book).

roysta123

I looked it up for you in Since the World Began and it says that it was shut down just a few months after the Polynesian opened. It is on pages 78 and 79.

jmarc63

Originally posted by roysta123
I looked it up for you in Since the World Began and it says that it was shut down just a few months after the Polynesian opened. It is on pages 78 and 79.

Also to add...

The wave machine was found to be eroding the beach at the Poly. A great idea, If only they could have forsaw the erosion problem maybe they could have done something else to make waves. But don't worry , It's being put to good use, currently it is a habatat for the fish that live in the Lagoon.

TheOneVader

Hmm... after all this tlak about being able to swim in the 7 Seas Lagoon, I was wondering if yo uan swim in the lake by Yacht and Beach Club? Possibly the IllumiNations shells polute it? :confused: :confused:

s25843

Originally posted by TheOneVader
Hmm... after all this tlak about being able to swim in the 7 Seas Lagoon, I was wondering if yo uan swim in the lake by Yacht and Beach Club? Possibly the IllumiNations shells polute it? :confused: :confused:

I don't think there is any swimming there either

pepper2028

From working on the friendship boats that run from epcot to mgm and all the resorts in the middle YOU DO NOT WANT TO SWIM IN THERE the water in there is gross I remember I would run to wash my hands after I had to pull a tie rope out of the water...just dirty

TheOneVader

What makes it so much more polluted than the 7 Seas Lagoon? And I thoguht there was some sort of basteria in FL so you can't swim in fresh water...?

ltbeach

i was under the impression that the condition of the water contributed to the closing of River Country, since River Country used water from Bay Lake, which is connected to the 7 Seas Lagoon via the aquaduct.

Bill

Account Suspended
Nah, that's myth. River Country had a filter for the water. :) It was different water. There are plans to add on to River Country & re-open as a larger water park. They don't seem to be going anywhere though. lol.

cloudboy

Are there any outflows from Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon? I didn't see any looking from an arial, but that doesn't show everything. That will always do a number on any large body or water.

Same with the lake between the Boardwalk and Yacht and Beach, but that is connected to the Showcase Laggon by the aqueduct and that must have an outlet where the bring Illuminations in?

ltbeach

there is an aquaduct over by the Contemporary resort. its just to the south of the resort. if you drive to the resort, it looks like your going under a bridge, but there is water above you. you can see it real well from the monorail.

andre85

Originally posted by Bill
Nah, that's myth. River Country had a filter for the water. :) It was different water. There are plans to add on to River Country & re-open as a larger water park. They don't seem to be going anywhere though. lol.

That's be very cool. I always liked River Country.

CoraJack

Account Suspended
No, you cannot swim in the water by the Yacht and Beach Club, I was just there and the signs say "No Swimming".

Since all of the pools are so fabulous, it is really not necessary to swim in the lakes, but it would be fun anyway.

I wonder why they don't try and clean them up so this is possible?
Ok, ok besides the cost....

Christina

s25843

Originally posted by CoraJack
I wonder why they don't try and clean them up so this is possible?
Ok, ok besides the cost....

I know the Bay Lake/SS Lagoon has had its share of gators throughout the years, so that is another factor in the No Swimming rule

TimeTrip

Theres also the "deadly bacteria in warm lakes" factor that is one of the biggest reasons why swimming isn't allowed. I think :)

Bill

Account Suspended
The main reason for the 7 Seas Lagoon & Bay Lake was the construction of the Wedding Pavilion. Something they did rose the temp of the whole lake. A total drainage will have to happen. And, of course, it will. It will just be 2019 when the lake is drained and cleaned up. (Just in time for the 50th) How do I know this? I'll be CEO then. :lol:

s25843

Originally posted by Bill
The main reason for the 7 Seas Lagoon & Bay Lake was the construction of the Wedding Pavilion. Something they did rose the temp of the whole lake. A total drainage will have to happen. And, of course, it will. It will just be 2019 when the lake is drained and cleaned up. (Just in time for the 50th) How do I know this? I'll be CEO then. :lol:

Rightttt.....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Going back the the wave machine dates, the picture on page 1 of this thread looks like the machine is still in decent order. This picture has BTMs peak painted in the background, so it must be 1979-1980. But since the machine stopped in the (very?) early 70`s, ws it still maintained for a while??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom