Original Poster
An update

:sohappy: I completed the puzzle.

Attachments

• wavemachine.jpg
    wavemachine.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 905

Tramp

The Grand Floridian opened in 1988.....one reason the wave machine may have been terminated was to yield to the shuttle boat between the MK, Poly and Grand Floridian?

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by Tramp
The Grand Floridian opened in 1988.....one reason the wave machine may have been terminated was to yield to the shuttle boat between the MK, Poly and Grand Floridian?

the machine stopped operating in the mid 70's. GF had nothing to do with it.

Tramp

Originally posted by DisneyInsider

the machine stopped operating in the mid 70's. GF had nothing to do with it.

..wow.....mid 70s?......we were there in '77 and didn't hear anything about a wave machine....guess they deemed it a bad idea early on.

Centrifugeer

The 7 Sea Lagoon wave machine could create waves, iirc, up to 5 feet, though it was generally run in the 2 - 3 foot range to prevent the waves from overwhelming less experienced swimmers. As has been mentioned, erosion on the beach was a big problem so it was shut down.

The Typhoon Lagoon wave machine is a completely different design. It basically sucks water into large holding tanks and then releases it in computer controlled progressions which allows Disney to control the shape and volume of a wave. The wave at TL can be cranked up as high as 8 feet and can be made to break right to left, left to right, or a center peak.

TL can be rented in the evening for surf parties for @ $1300 for about 175 waves. I've surfed it a couple of times with a group of friends and it's a blast. It's really odd to be facing that big wall about 15 yeards away, then hear something that sounds like the world's largest toilet flushing, then a 6 ft wave rises up at you from nowhere. Makes the heart go pitter-patter the first couple of times. Great fun though.

SpongeScott

Originally posted by Testtrack321
These boards are too sensitive. I put S ucking in the blank spot. Amazing. You know we can't ever write our Vice Presidents name here?
I can.

Cheney.

Vice President Richard Cheney.

:D

Mitzer

I had never heard of this wave machine before this thread...it would be so cool to see it work today. Does anyone have photos out there of it actually making waves? I would love to see those...thanks

Bagheera

Actually, their plan was to use it for surfers to ride the waves to add to the Polynesian theme. They actually did have some surfers out there in the early days. Once they discovered the erosion problem, they shut it down for good, and the parts have been deteriorating ever since. That was in the days when the water was fairly decent, instead of the primordial soup that it has become....

meowthew

The wave machine is also mentioned at Widen Your World's page on the Polynesian: http://home.cfl.rr.com/omniluxe/poly.htm

To me, what's more interesting than the wave machine is the mysterious coral reef for "pearl diving" that was supposed to be in the Seven Seas Lagoon by the Poly. It was mentioned in promotional materials just months before WDW opened, and then nothing came of it.

Badger Brent

These boards are a great source of history on Disney. I never knew of the wave machine either until this thread. These are the little things you like to pass along to family and friends. Those old pictures are some of my favorite to look at. I hope I spelled everything correctly!!:D

jmarc63

Originally posted by DonickCo
It was for the beach across the lake.

Accually the wavemachine is directed more to the east, The waves landed near the cove on the western beach of the Poly, even thou that streach of beach was there in 71, it was isolated at the time since there was no resort built where the GF is.

Also building GF had nothing to do with the removal of the wave machine. the wave machine was stoped in 72 or 73 and the GF was built in 88.

I have always known about the wave machine for the Poly since WDW was opened, As far back as I remember the wave machine was shut down permantly by the 72 or 73 holiday season, I remember taking a sprite with my Dad on several vacations where we would get up close to check it out, it looked pretty scary for a 9 yo + the first time, I was always afraid that it would start up suddenly, so I remember it lasting about a year according to my dad before it was left to be a fish habitate.

STGRhost

Wow...I have heard about the wave machine many times, but I had never seen pictures. Funny, but I somehow always pictured it...i dunno, smaller? Less...obvious? I guess I figured, the way people say it's "still there", I assumed more of it was under water? :lol:

Also, I can remember swimming in the lake when we used to stay at the Poly (late 70s-early 80s). I was shocked when I moved back and you couldn't swim in it anymore...It kinda takes the fun out of the "beach" if you can't go in the water (IMHO)....

freaklarm

Originally posted by AdLibSean
How did the 7 Seas Lagoon waters get so bad? Are they really disgusting? I can never tell- never close enough to them.

Ok let see, the water in Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake is not disgusting and is not dirty at all, as a matter of fact in the last water report (October 02) for this lakes the water had some high marks on cleaness. Now, why does it looks "kind of dark...", for those of you who went to the MK in the early years or have seen pictures, you may remember the water to be crystal clear blue water (paradise), well startingin the lates 70s early 80s Disney started to put some non dangerous chemicals to kill to plants that grow at the bottom of the lakes because they where becoming a BIG problem to the boats. While the chemicals did they job they also turned the water in the dark color you see today, but the water is very clean and is still clear, just that the bottom of the lake is now brown. Why they don't let people swim on the beaches?? The do, on certain times of the years, when the temperature is not that high (this is why you never see them open from May till October, the rest of the year they open the beaches on certain weeks, you just have to be lucky to stay there during those weeks. But no the water is not dirty or disgustin, after all, don't we all remember the great River Contry. Well thats all I have to say about this misunderstood and beautiful lakes. Have a Magical Day:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom