The Official Hurricane Jeanne thread

DDuckFan130

Mary Poppins said:
My only problem with that is it's based on historical data. This season has not followed history of any kind. I'm keeping my eye on the entire basin from here to Africa until December! :wave:

Good point. I just heard it and wanted to mention it, but yeah, like they are so many times, they can be wrong.

Tim G

Original Poster
Figment1986 said:
corrus, u live in Tampa or orlando metro??

Tampa metro:
Public Schools closed:
Hillsborough County: Monday
Pasco County: Monday
Pinellas County: Monday
Polk County: Monday
"Polk Community College" Monday
Hernando County: Monday
Citrus County: Monday
Highlands County: Monday
Hardee County: Monday
Sumter County: Monday
DeSoto County: Monday

Hillsborough Comunity college is OPEN....
"Taken from WFLA.com"
Why?

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Jeanne Leaves Swath Of Destruction

UPDATED: 12:51 pm EDT September 27, 2004

MELBOURNE, Fla. -- Hurricane Jeanne tore a fresh path of destruction as it marched up storm-ravaged Florida. The fourth hurricane in six weeks shut down much of the state and prompted recovery plans on a scale never before seen in the nation.

At least six people died in the storm, which plowed across Florida's midsection in a virtual rerun for many residents still trying to regroup from hurricanes that have crisscrossed the Southeast since mid-August.
"We have some people in Florida who have been hit two or three times now by these hurricanes," FEMA director Mike Brown told CBS' "The Early Show" Monday. "They have to be miserable right now."
Rocketing debris scattered in earlier storms, Jeanne came ashore around midnight Saturday with 120 mph wind, striking its first blow in the same area hit three weeks ago by Hurricane Frances.

It remained at barely tropical storm strength with wind of 40 mph when its center moved over Georgia late Monday morning, but was expected to weaken into a tropical depression later in the day.
It had moved east of the Panhandle, where 70,000 homes and businesses remained without power because of Hurricane Ivan less than two weeks ago.
"Adversity makes us strong. This dynamic state will return," Gov. Jeb Bush said at the Indian River County emergency operations center Sunday, where nearly all of the county was without power and residents were told to boil tap water before drinking it to avoid contaminants.

Jeanne ripped off roofs, left stop lights dangling precariously, destroyed a deserted community center in Jensen Beach and flooded some bridges from the mainland to barrier islands straddling the Atlantic coast. About 2.6 million homes and businesses were without power.
Florida was the first state to withstand a four-hurricane pounding in one season since Texas in 1886 -- a milestone that came with two months remaining in the hurricane season.
"We fix it and nature destroys it and we fix it again," said Rockledge bar owner Franco Zavaroni, who opened his tavern to seven friends who spread mattresses on the floor among the pool tables to ride out the storm.

Martin County Commissioner Doug Smith said Monday that Jeanne left few buildings in his county unscarred because Frances had weakened them and subsequent rain from Ivan had saturated the ground. "Everything has been compromised to some extent," Smith told NBC's "Today" show. "We have lost a lot more structures this time."
By 11 a.m. Monday, the center of the storm was over southwestern Georgia, about 15 miles east-northeast of Albany. It was moving north near 12 mph and was expected to turn to the north-northeast and move over the Carolinas.
About 50 homes in Valdosta, Ga., in the south-central part of the state, were evacuated early Monday because of flooding as Jeanne dumped about 6 inches of rain on the area.

Georgia Power reported about 60,000 customers without power Monday morning. About 760 people stayed in the 24 Red Cross shelters had set up Sunday night, said Lisa Ray, spokeswoman for the Georgia Emergency Management Agency.
President Bush declared a major disaster area in Florida while officials with the Federal Emergency Management Agency said the hurricanes represented the largest relief effort in the agency's history, larger than the response to the 1994 earthquake in the Northridge section of Los Angeles.
More than 3,000 National Guard troops were deployed to aid relief efforts. Several counties, including Palm Beach and St. Lucie -- two of the hardest hit by Jeanne's winds and rain -- opened distribution sites Monday for water and ice.

Charley was a faster storm when it hammered Florida's southwest coast Aug. 13; Frances blanketed much of the peninsula after striking the state's Atlantic coast Sept. 5; and Ivan blasted the western Panhandle when it made landfall Sept. 16. The three storms caused billions of dollars in damage and killed at least 73 people in Florida alone.
"I never want to go through this again," said 8-year-old Katie Waskiewicz, who checked out the fallen trees and broken roof tiles in her Palm Beach Gardens neighborhood after riding out Jeanne with her family. "I was running around the house screaming."

Jeanne was a Category 3 hurricane when it made landfall at Hutchinson Island, 35 miles north of West Palm Beach -- almost the same spot that Frances struck. Officials at the National Hurricane Center said the similar paths were possibly unprecedented.
At least 21 Florida county school districts canceled classes on Monday, including St. Lucie County, where schools had not reopened since Frances.
Police in St. Lucie rescued five families when the hurricane's eye passed over, including a couple in their 90s in wheelchairs whose mobile home collapsed around them, emergency operations spokeswoman Linette Trabulsy said. A Coast Guard helicopter crew found two fishermen who had radioed a mayday off Anclote Key, about 25 miles northwest of Tampa.

The toll from the latest storm extended south to Miami, where one person was electrocuted after touching a downed power line. Two people died when their sport utility vehicle plunged into a lake; a 15-year-old boy was killed by a falling tree; and a man was found dead in a ditch in what police called an apparent drowning.
A 60-year-old man was found dead after a hurricane party at a home. Police said the death may be alcohol-related or he may have drowned in the flooded house.

The Palm Beach County sheriff's office made 132 arrests for curfew violations.
With Jeanne dumping heavy rain, there was fear of flooding in the days to come in already saturated east and central Florida. The storm dumped about 10 inches of rain in Palm Beach County and 5 inches in Orlando, St. Petersburg and Melbourne.
Most counties in South Carolina's northeast corner were under a flood watch, and the U.S. Weather Service placed much of southern Georgia under a tornado watch.
Earlier, Jeanne caused flooding in Haiti that killed more than 1,500 people.

speck76

I am finally home.....no damage, even the stuff on my balcony is ok (the wind chimes are still chiming)...it does not look like the power ever went out. Speck made it through ok at the Vet, and she was quite happy that I am back.

The Palm Beach area (where I ended up having to fly into) looks majorly screwed. It took me about and hour and a half to get from the airport to the turnpike, as all of the lights were out or down.

DDuckFan130

speck76 said:
I am finally home.....no damage, even the stuff on my balcony is ok (the wind chimes are still chiming)...it does not look like the power ever went out. Speck made it through ok at the Vet, and she was quite happy that I am back.

The Palm Beach area (where I ended up having to fly into) looks majorly screwed. It took me about and hour and a half to get from the airport to the turnpike, as all of the lights were out or down.
Glad to hear you're ok, and your dog too :D.

Yeah, I've been seeing on the news how bad Palm Beach looks. I'm still praying for all of those affected :(.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Speck, what time did you come through here? I've noticed that many of the lights are starting to get back up (at least around the downtown/airport areas, which is where I was earlier today).

I drove by a mobile home today....the roof was completely gone and I would have to say the same about its interior, from what I could see. Just terrible. :(

speck76

NemoRocks78 said:
Speck, what time did you come through here? I've noticed that many of the lights are starting to get back up (at least around the downtown/airport areas, which is where I was earlier today).

I drove by a mobile home today....the roof was completely gone and I would have to say the same about its interior, from what I could see. Just terrible. :(

It was around 1pm'ish

Part of the problem is that people were also treating flashing yellow lights as 4-way stops. While this might be the kind thing to do, the kinder thing to do would be to follow the rules of the road.

Computer Magic

speck76 said:
It was around 1pm'ish

Part of the problem is that people were also treating flashing yellow lights as 4-way stops. While this might be the kind thing to do, the kinder thing to do would be to follow the rules of the road.
Glad everything is okay. I been watching the post wondering when the two of you would arrive safely. Sounds like the vet was taking good care of your dog while you were trying to get home. It's good to have a responsible vet.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Great photos, Rob. Looks like Skull Kingdom got hit pretty badly. How did other area attractions fare?

I'm going to go out tomorrow and snap some photos of the damage down here.....that is if I don't have school tomorrow however.....

MissM

Hey everyone. Checking in from Pinellas County (Tampa Bay Area)....

We lost power about 4:40pm Sunday through 5am Monday morning. Cable was out until about 5pm this afternoon and my cable modem until about 9pm this evening.

Way more wind damage in terms of debris and things knocked down in this area since we had pretty good sustained winds with even higher gusts but we're hanging in there. It's good to have power again. And to get online and check up with everyone.

Wrote a pretty big update in my journal on the last 36-odd hours for anyone curious, but things are finally starting to get back to normal for us. Sadly, there are still hundreds of thousands of people in the Tampa Bay area without power. Even driving around today we found a McDonalds and an Eckards that had lost power with employees sitting around in the doorways having to turn people away. Things are still hit-and-miss so I'm thankful we're back up and running. Our biggest problem right now is all our food has gone bad and we're really broke from having to buy last-minute supplies like flashlights, batteries and such. Don't know what we're going to eat this week 'cause payday isn't until Friday. That's the kind of thing you don't think about as a cost of the hurricanes until you find yourself throwing out all the food in your fridge and having no money to replace it yet.

Hope everyone else is ok too.
-m

tigger248

Glad all is well MissM! :wave:

You'll get through this week. One thing college and a college program have taught me: ramon noodles are cheap! :slurp: :p

Although you may get sick of them after a while, after several days of ramon noodles at EKU I started trying to make them be different by like draining the water and slipping in some butter to just make plain noodles. It worked...sorta :lookaroun Hey, at least it was different! :lol:

MissM

tigger248 said:
Glad all is well MissM! :wave:

You'll get through this week. One thing college and a college program have taught me: ramon noodles are cheap! :slurp: :p
Well, thankfully the kitties have food for the week and Love and I will get by but it won't be fun. It'll be more Mac N' Cheese then raman noodles though since I'm highly allergic to MSG. (Ingredient #1 in those things! :lol:)

It's strange the lingering effects though that these storms have. Things you don't realize until you've been through it once...er.....twice...er...three times now. Something different every time. Heh.
-m

The Mom

Premium Member
I survived just fine, and only lost power for about 8 hours this time. However, one of the hardest hit local area starts about two blocks from my house, with tons of trees and power lines down, and multiple blocks of homes without power. It feels odd to be one of the "haves" this time around.

magic minnie

Has anyone been over to Fort Wilderness to check out the damage (if any)? How are things over there? Also, how did the Vero Beach resort fare?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom