The Official Hurricane Jeanne thread

Tim G

Original Poster
Hurricane Jeanne Update

Jeanne pummels weather-weary Florida

September 26, 2004, 10:32 AM EDT

TALLAHASSEE -- Hurricane Jeanne smashed its way across Central Florida Sunday morning, packing 85 mile per hour winds and dumping heavy rain in a path that officials said was frighteningly similar to Hurricane Frances.
Jeanne's winds blew at 120 mph, making it a Category 3 storm at landfall, which was in St. Lucie County just before midnight in almost the exact spot where Hurricane Frances came ashore Sept. 5, said State Meteorologist Ben Nelson.
Max Mayfield, director of the National Hurricane Center in Miami, said the similar paths of Jeanne and Frances were remarkable.
Mayfield said it was the first time ever that we know of'' that two hurricanes landed so close in place and time.
God, I hope it's over,'' Jaye Bell said early today.
The bartender from Jensen Beach rode out the storm at a Ramada Inn in Stuart.

Angry swells licked pieces of mobile homes out to sea. At one of the causeway bridges leading to the barrier island, a sailboat bashed against the seawall and sank.
Within minutes, all that remained above water was less than a foot of its yellow mast.
Jeanne weakened to a Category 1 storm, with 85 mph winds as it worked its way across land this morning.
Hurricane force winds were recorded from Brevard County all the way to Palm Beach and as far south as North Broward County, Nelson said. Hurricane force winds extended throughout the metro Orlando area, he said.
The storm was expected to slam the Tampa Bay area before turning north and heading for the Panhandle.
"It's a very signifcant storm at this point," said Department of Community Affairs Secretary Thad Cohen. "We're taking out the Frances playbook."

There were no confirmed deaths, state officials said.
Thousands of people woke up today without power in Orange County, with OUC reporting about 60,000 homes dark throughout its coverage area and Progress Energy reporting another 160,000 homes out scattered throughout Orange, Osceola, Polk and Highlands as of 8 a.m.
In Sanford, Waves crashing against the shoreline of Lake Monroe are threatening to wash away large sections of U.S. Highway 17-92, west of downtown Sanford.
The hurricane already is taking a toll on hospitals, including some hospitals still recovering from earlier hurricane damage.

The storm ripped off part of the roof at Palm Bay Hospital in Brevard County, said Alan Levine, who oversees state regulation of hospitals and nursing homes.
About 400 people were transferred from a shelter at an elementary school in Melbourne after parts of its roof flew off, police Lt. Jeff Koska said.
No one was injured, and the evacuees were taken to another shelter, he said.
About 100 people at a similar shelter in Fort Pierce were transferred after its roof started leaking, but no one was hurt.

In Cocoa Beach about 80 miles north of Stuart, Paul and Ann Jutras weathered another storm in their reinforced house that they claimed was hurricane-proof.
Sitting two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean, the structure has two roofs, in case one is damaged. In Frances,we got pounded for 37 hours, but the wind would blow for about 20 or 25 minutes and there would be a lull. This one, it's just not letting up at all,'' Paul Jutras said.

The generator failed at Sebastian Hospital in Indian River. In Stuart, the roof suffered significant damage at Martin Memorial Medical Center, which was still recovering from Frances, he said.
Other hospitals in the area also feeling the effects, he added.
"The big issue is capacity,'' Levine said. "Most hospitals are full or nearly full already."
Nelson said no physical characteristics would explain why a storm would hit the same spot twice.
"There's nothing natural,'' he said. "It's just the steering currents."

Gov. Jeb Bush was scheduled to stop at an emergency shelter and a Catholic church for mass Sunday morning in Pensacola, before heading to St. Lucie and Martin counties to meet with emergency officials.
Officials warned that the storm increases the threat of flooding in central Florida, with predicted rainfall of six to 12 inches, Nelson said.
More than 42,000 people huddled in shelters and nearly one million were without power, state officials reported.

The Category 3 storm became the fourth to pummel Florida in a single hurricane season, something that has not happened since 1886 when Texas was the target.
The three other hurricanes, Charley, Frances and Ivan, have all hit within the last month and a half, about midway through the June-to-November season.

Atta83

PhotoDave219 said:
Sketchy at best. Its a constant shuffle from the living room to the laundry.... Still livable but gonna smell nasty.

keep soaking it up and throwing those towles in the dryer. get some febreeze it will make it smell better at least a little bit.

WDWScottieBoy

Rob, you do realize that there IS a hurricane right now?!? What are you doing outside in it. Hopefully you're not getting blown away taking video and images. Just stay safe, don't want to see anything happen to you, especially in the hard work of keeping the apartment from flooding! :lol:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
the good thing about my girlfriend leaving her stuff behind. I have now found a use for her Victorias Secret body splash spray. Now the living room smells like Love Spell, which smells a lot like peaches

Atta83

mkt said:
the good thing about my girlfriend leaving her stuff behind. I have now found a use for her Victorias Secret body splash spray. Now the living room smells like Love Spell, which smells a lot like peaches

Thats the worst and wrong stuff to spray IMOH.. That is not doing anything well. You need something that will help kill bacteria from the pad before it starts to mildew, you are better off with the lysol.

WDWScottieBoy

mkt said:
Now the living room smells like Love Spell, which smells a lot like peaches

My girlfriend wears that stuff and I think it smells SOOO good on her. I guess your girlfriend's got good taste Rob! (just don't go spraying that stuff on you now. :lol: ) And get to cleaning, not just spraying. :wave:

pinkrose

Atta83 said:
Thats the worst and wrong stuff to spray IMOH.. That is not doing anything well. You need something that will help kill bacteria from the pad before it starts to mildew, you are better off with the lysol.

Lysol won't get to the pad either. :( It's going to have to dry vac'd and cleaned.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
How's it going everyone?

I got power back about an hour ago. :D

No damage whatsoever around here, which was very surprising (well, not really, because all the trees and things of the sort were taken down by Frances). I was so surprised when we got power back. We lost electricity last night at 7:45pm. I was bashing FP&L yesterday, prasing them today. :)

Hope everyone in Central FL is staying safe. :wave:

mkt

Premium Member
we're using both Ashley. Lysol for the bacteria, and the body splash for the smell.

Atta83

pinkrose said:
Lysol won't get to the pad either. :( It's going to have to dry vac'd and cleaned.

Better than the body spray which just covers the smell which is still going to be there. At least the lysol can help with that some.

WDWScottieBoy

Corrus said:
Good to hear that you're OK :D

When do you get back to Celebration to check on your place Corrus? And I'm hoping that you don't haev much damage...if you do, you can use your skill ;) to make a Disney part to your house!

mkt

Premium Member
notice something a bit strange?

dsc05173_std.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom