The Official Hurricane Ivan thread...

Mom's the word

Fear of flying

patelaine1953 said:
I just logged into NOAA and it looks like Ivan is definitely going to miss FL. I think our prayers for the moment have been answered. I don't want to fly in really rough weather. My daughter is panicked as it is without turbulence. She is so scared, she won't even discuss the trip at all. By the way, she's not a kid; she's 25. The 10 yr. old girl coming with us is more excited than my daughter. At least she isn't afraid to fly.
I can hardly stand to fly so here's a tip for your daughter who's feeling nervous. Last year my sister-in-law recommended getting a sedative from the doctor for my flight to Florida, close to 6 hours from the NW. On the way to the airport I said there was no way I was getting on the plane. In the parking lot I took half of the prescribed sedative. 30 minutes later I was in the terminal chatting with lady behind me in line when my DH started laughing. When I asked him why, he said it was because in half an hour I'd gone from terrified to making friends with everyone around me! I didn't have any problems - I also took some Gravol and didn't eat anything. On the way home I was so relaxed that I didn't even take any of the sedative. This year I'm not bothering to worry, just making sure I have my happy pills!

Atta83

It looks like Ivan is going more West than north so I think florida is clear of this one. So that means some of us here near the near the gulf better start getting ready. Parents have already started to buy the water. Mom said if anything looks like its coming this way I am on food and water duty....

scorp111

It does currently look better for Florida... but anything can happen.

I am just hoping there is a bit of a break after this one....

To WDW in 8 days and 22 hours....

Tim G

Severe Weather Update - Severe Weather Update

Update: Hurricane Ivan

Looks Good But Heading still not shure

<TABLE borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="98%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#ff0000><TABLE width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=large>STORM STATUS</TD><TD class=small align=right>September 7, 4:55 PM EDT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#cccccc><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="95%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>Name: Hurricane Ivan</TD></TR><TR><TD class=small vAlign=top>Location: About 20 miles, 35 km, West-Southwest of Grenada.

Lat/Long: 12.0N, 62.0W
Max Winds: 120 mph
Category: 3

</TD><TD class=small vAlign=top noWrap>Heading: West

Speed: 18 mph
Pressure: 28.23 inches

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=small align=middle colSpan=2></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Image = 120 mins Delay

Attachments

• Ivan at_ir_loop_02.gif
    Ivan at_ir_loop_02.gif
    651.5 KB · Views: 169

aimster

:: crosses, fingers, toes, arms, legs & eyes ::

I wanna go to Magic Kingdom and it looks like there's afew days early next week where the weather is going to be quite nice so I'm hoping......

PhotoDave219

Here's the really simple, boiled down version. If Ivan beats the cold front to us, the cold front will sweep Ivan through over us on its way through.

If the cold front moves through first, Ivan will reek havok on the gulf coast and leave us alone.

All in all, i think we're up a creek again.

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I'm gonna go out on a limb here... Ivan is a major hurricane. It's headed towards the Gulf of Mexico. At this time, FL should have its guard up, as should any other state around the gulf. Don't let your guard down. It is too early to rule out Fla, as well as Tex. or Lou, or any other state around here. If you look at Charley's forecast 5 days out, it was the same as Ivan's is now. So, I'm not saying we're gonna have another Charley, nor am I saying it's going to miss us. But please, don't turn your back on Ivan. That is the wrong thing to do. It's not a time to panic, just a time to stay informed. And that is why I created this thread. Just to keep fellow Floridians informed, as well as anyone thinking of going to Disney in 5 days. All we can do is hope.

speck76

Hope in one hand, crap in the other....see what one ever amounts to anything. :lookaroun

We can not control the weather.....whatever happens, happens.

(Always) Be prepared.

kevmagkingdom

Account Suspended
These threads may just make everyone more scared. We should be AWARE, not huddled in a corner. I think this thread needs to stop, really let's be happy and talk about what we should be talking about (really weather has nothing to do with WDW since WDW is built so strongly nothing except a FREAK FREAK hurricane could damage it severley). You'll be fine, if you stay tuned to the weather channel

imagineer99

^ I disagree fully.

If you don't want to read about it, then don't. The thread is clearly marked.

Frankly, I like getting so many different perspectives on the storm. The world isn't perfect.

Plus, I like seeing my name being written so many times. It makes me feel so darn special!;)

Ivan is currently following the same path that Charley did. You can visit
www.orlandoweather.com and click on Atlantic tracker. It will open a new window and will automatically track Ivan. You can also choose Charley from the pull down menu and see how close the two different paths are. I'm certainly keeping an eye on this one!

PhotoDave219

kevmagkingdom said:
These threads may just make everyone more scared. We should be AWARE, not huddled in a corner. I think this thread needs to stop, really let's be happy and talk about what we should be talking about (really weather has nothing to do with WDW since WDW is built so strongly nothing except a FREAK FREAK hurricane could damage it severley). You'll be fine, if you stay tuned to the weather channel
The thread is clearly marked. If you dont like it, dont read it.

As for WDW damage, youre right. A good Cat 5 hurricane - which ivan is predicted to become - would mess us up pretty bad. Not much else would.

MagicalMonorail

I hear it might be coming towards me in Louisiana. I hope it goes another way. I wouldn't mind taking a hit for you Florida guys though. Yall have had enough.

tigger248

kevmagkingdom said:

I disagree. This thread is making us aware of the situation. I don't see anyone huddling in any corners, just informing others about what may or may not happen in the semi near future. As others have said, if you disagree with this thread or don't want to talk about the weather then don't read this thread (or other hurricane threads if they bother you). Weather does affect WDW, even if these hurricanes aren't really doing any serious damage to the parks. People want to know if on their trip they'll have to worry about hurricanes and spending days locked in their hotel rooms. In that sense, people do care about the weather and it's relation to the parks. I'm glad for threads like these because we're getting better updates than the weather channel. Plus it's all here in one place so we don't have to search for all the different news and weather updates associated with these storms.

Mr D

Mary Poppins said:
Ivan is currently following the same path that Charley did. You can visit
www.orlandoweather.com and click on Atlantic tracker. It will open a new window and will automatically track Ivan. You can also choose Charley from the pull down menu and see how close the two different paths are. I'm certainly keeping an eye on this one!
WESH has a hurricane tracker as well and I just did that, first Ivans course and then an overlay of Charlies course....identical.

Atta83

You know what i am going to say right now..what happens happens, if it hits us here in texas then it hits us here in texas. If it hits anywhere else it hits anywhere else....I mean at least we get warning about hurricanes. There are storms that have hit here and they have produced torados and we didnt even know they were going to be formed..its life, we take it with what we have.

aimster

Most hurricanes that end up in the Gulf of Mexico usually hit the Florida panhandle or Louisana. They normally don't hit like how Charley did very often. Charley was a kinda rare case for the west coast fo Florida.

So we'll see what happens. But us Floridians need a break, all things considered. I was VERY happy to see the sun today. Hope I see it again tomorrow.

Ringo8n24

Atta83 said:
You know what i am going to say right now..what happens happens, if it hits us here in texas then it hits us here in texas. If it hits anywhere else it hits anywhere else....I mean at least we get warning about hurricanes. There are storms that have hit here and they have produced torados and we didnt even know they were going to be formed..its life, we take it with what we have.

Atta, I think you and I have to worry about this one now. It does not look good for MS/LA/TX according to NOAA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom