The Official Hurricane Ivan thread...

wannab@dis

Shrike said:
Well, after a not-too lengthy consultation with the boss (Mrs. Shrike), we'll definitely be on our morning flight tomorrow to Orlando. My vacation time is "Use it or lose it," and I'm in an industry now that does not allow for time off from October through December.

So screw it, we're going.

And we're gonna have a great time, dammit!
Good for you!!! Hope that you have a magical trip!

Shrike

wannab@dis said:
Good for you!!! Hope that you have a magical trip!
Thanks very much. We always do, though this is my first trip back to WDW in nearly 10 years. 14 hours and counting... :)

Mr D

Keep up the good work Corrus, maybe the information from posters such as you will save a persons life. This IS freedom of speech, and as the saying goes "If you can't stand the heat of the kitchen, get out!"
Again I stronly suggest anybody planning on visiting WDw or other parks to put it off for at least two weeks, are reschedule in the off season.
I'm just ignoring these whiny posters that get all bent out of shape because reality is biting them in the .

More info when I get up fri am, I just put in 17 hours on the clock, I'm beat, night folks.

barnum42

Shrike said:
Well, after a not-too lengthy consultation with the boss (Mrs. Shrike), we'll definitely be on our morning flight tomorrow to Orlando. My vacation time is "Use it or lose it," and I'm in an industry now that does not allow for time off from October through December.

So screw it, we're going.

And we're gonna have a great time, dammit!
You and me both! It's just gone 6:00am GMT (1:00am WDW Time) and I'll be shortly headed to Gatwick for the first leg of the trip to Orlando. :wave:

Dizneydude87

Jekyll Baker said:
I just have to say that I agree with the fact that the media overdoes any kind of "reporting" so much that I don't even watch the olds - I refuse to call it the news because it's usually the exact same thing over and over, night after night. For the hurricanes, I prefer to watch the tracks online (which I download using "Tracking the Eye") and make my own judgement. If an evacuation is called for here in Brunswick, like during Floyd, I'll still know about it because of my over-panicked friends and neighbors. Then I'll just run up to my parents house 80 miles inland.

I do however have concern about whatever may happen in Florida. Like I have mentioned in other threads, I have family throughout the state, from Ft. Myers and Sarasota to Gainesville, with the majority of my dad's family only 30-40 miles north of WDW in Lake County.

Wow. Finnaly someone knows somebody who lives in Lake County. I swear, noone lives here. It's so boring. That's really cool that your family lives here though.

I almost think that all of the news drama can be good. All of those people evacuated in time that if it was a bad storm, they'd be fine. Over hyping it might help, seeing as how you see all of those stupid people going outside in it, surfing, trying to fly in the wind or w/e they think they're up to. Imagine if they would've said, "Oh, it will probably a week storm when it gets here. Don't worry." People would've took that as, "Go carzy. Don't stay inside. Drive like a kamakazee (sp??), go to Daytona."

I however, did find my entertainment making fun of the reporters all night during Frances. It was great. Brought the family together.

*MichelleP*

A family from my area has evacuated to WDW!

LEE COUNTY— Whether it is shell shock from two hurricanes in three weeks or just plain fear, Hurricane Ivan is prompting many people to do something they never did before - get out of town before the storm hits.

Two hurricanes and concerns about two little girls are enough for the Trayciks.

"I called him up today and I said, you've always said that if a storm of this magnitude was coming, we wouldn't stay, so we need to go. And he said, you're right, we need to go," said Alissa Traycik.

Friday while Matt Traycik puts up the storm shutters, Alissa will load the car with the irreplaceable items.

Nancy Rummell also has someone to worry about, her 90 year old mother.

"Out here without power, she wouldn't do too well. I'm sure we're going to lose power," said Rummell.

They've lived in Southwest Florida for 20 years and never considered evacuating before, not during Andrew in 1992, Georges in 1998 or Charley or Frances. But they are now.

"Oh gosh, I don't know about another one. I think it's the severity of this storm that scares me," said Nancy Rummell.

Charley relocated an oak tree onto a neighbor's house, and the winds created white caps on a retention pond.

"There were 2 foot waves that would just roll. We've never seen anything like that, not since we've been here," said Rummell.

Matt Traycik has lived in the area for 26 years. The past month was unlike any other in his life.

"Learned a lot from that. This time around, we're not going to play with it," said Traycik.

Instead, the family plans to spend several days in Disney World

patelaine1953

Mr D said:
Keep up the good work Corrus, maybe the information from posters such as you will save a persons life. This IS freedom of speech, and as the saying goes "If you can't stand the heat of the kitchen, get out!"
Again I stronly suggest anybody planning on visiting WDw or other parks to put it off for at least two weeks, are reschedule in the off season.
I'm just ignoring these whiny posters that get all bent out of shape because reality is biting them in the .

More info when I get up fri am, I just put in 17 hours on the clock, I'm beat, night folks.[/QUOTE

I thought September was the off season because of things like hurricanes. That's why it costs much less in points for DVC and also why you see so many really good deals for the resorts. The lowest offer I received was from Disney Visa for $49 per night for the month of Sept.

scorp111

patelaine1953 said:

Prices are nout just discounted in Sept because of Hurricane season.... if that was the case wouldn't Aug & Oct be discounted to the same level?

As far as putting off the visits, that is just not going to happen for many folks. And truthfully areas that depend on tourism, like Central Florida, don't want/can't afford people to do exactly that.

But those visiting must remain aware of how thier trip might and can be affected.

I too am going in a week, and have every intention of going, unless something ridiculously catastrophic happens....

I have been through a Cat 4 hurricane, and it certainly wasn't pretty, but there are many other factors to consider as well.

scorp111

speck76 said:
Corrus, please only post articles that contain the following words or phrases:

1. Orlando is doomed
2. ...winds like we have never seen before..
3. Falafel
4. massive power outages
5. evacuation :eek:

:D

Any posts on ground chick peas are always welcome!

Erika

patelaine1953 said:
I thought September was the off season because of things like hurricanes. That's why it costs much less in points for DVC and also why you see so many really good deals for the resorts. The lowest offer I received was from Disney Visa for $49 per night for the month of Sept.

I think it has less to do with hurricanes and more to do with kids in school.

Value season is January 1 - February 11; August 29 - September 29; October 31- December 19; all times when families are less likely to vacation.

If I'm not mistaken it's very unusual for WDW to close due to hurricanes.

wannab@dis

Erika said:
I think it has less to do with hurricanes and more to do with kids in school.

Value season is January 1 - February 11; August 29 - September 29; October 31- December 19; all times when families are less likely to vacation.

If I'm not mistaken it's very unusual for WDW to close due to hurricanes.
Think you're right here. The value season is mainly due to school time. But it fluctuates depending on holidays. Thanksgiving, Christmas, Columbus day, Spring Break, etc.

WDW has closed more in the last few weeks than ever before. Someone can clarify, but I think they had only closed once or twice before Charley due to a hurricane. So, this is quite unusual!

JBSLJames

Maria said:
I knew it was lebanese food, but what does it have to do with Ivan?? :lol:

Maria, Maria, Maria. . . Come on. . . Everyone knows that "Ivan" is Lebanese for "Please, not tonite, I have a headache" which when taken in the context of a Hurricane, most certainly can be taken as, "Please not again, have'nt we had enough". Sure it's a loose translation, but it is 2% accurate.

Mr D

Off season is for WDW and to me about jan or feb, whenever lodging rates are the lowest.
Happy trip for those leaving the UK and heading into Florida, we need "storm stories" here instead of armchair experts with self supported degrees of "I am so right" folks.
Like yesterday some ruffled feathered person came driving into our yard screaming, "I have that trucks license number!", he was totally dissed off and saying over and over about his indignation that of all things...he was waiting behind a construction zone flagger that was holding up traffic for a road project, one of my concrete mixers passed him up and went through the road zone, he felt that absolutely nobody should have better treatment than him not even thinking for a second a concrete mixer is a construction vehicle with a perishable load, we have at times only an hour to discharge that concrete before it hardens regardless if the drum is turning.
His story was he is injured with pins in his hip, he now feels that world must treat him special, of course he deserves it in certain aspects but not in every way of life.

And like this person who would feel the world is cheating him, who most likely has the profile of doing roadrage if cut off is becoming increasing more common, where do these people come from that absolutely cannot stand being 2nd in line, cannot comprehend reality and the real world, have to cry and whine of anything that removes them from their self made image of fragility. They have limped along in life being coddled but not totally handicapped if even in that category, they will do anything to park in a handicap space even though they do not qualify, and like at a Disney park they would demand special priviledges like front of line passes.
Well this is my rant because I'm tired, this is a thread about a hurricane named Ivan, NOT about indignat folks that are having their travel/Disney plans bent all out of shape because of a natural climatic event. Go somewhere else and complain, you look bad here and we do not want you.

Mr D

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...1004sep10,0,5509789.story?coll=orl-home-promo
Shelves no longer bare
Retailers rush in deliveries for new threat
By Jack Snyder
Sentinel Staff Writer

September 10, 2004

Major retailers, still replenishing stores after an avalanche of demand before and after Hurricane Frances, were gearing up Thursday to rush products to stores as Hurricane Ivan veered toward Florida.

A steady stream of trucks from Home Depot and Lowe's was rolling into the state Thursday, bringing everything from plywood to flashlight batteries.

Chris Ahern, a Lowe's spokeswoman, said 300 truckloads of plywood -- 260 of them coming directly from suppliers -- were on the way to Florida stores Thursday.

"Demand has been very high with little letup between storms," Ahern said.

The retailer is gathering products from across the country and bringing them to a staging area at Valdosta, Ga., for shipment both before and after the next storm.

All but one of the company's 63 Florida stores were open Thursday.

Home Depot also had "hundreds of trucks," some from as far away as California, traveling to Florida with supplies, spokesman Don Harrison said.

"This resupply is unprecedented," Harrison said. "Store supplies were exhausted after Frances, then here comes Ivan."

The company has ample supplies of plywood. "It's just a matter of getting it to the stores," he said. Demand Thursday was so strong, plywood was being sold off trucks, never making it into the store, Harrison said.

Both chains said generators are in short supply.

Jim Smith, president of the Florida Petroleum Marketers and Convenience Store Association, said Thursday many retailers were restocked with gas, but Ivan could create panic buying, again outstripping supplies.

The worst problems are in areas where retailers are still without electricity and can't pump what they have in their tanks. That's the case in several locations, including Palm Beach and Brevard counties, Smith said.

Retailers around the state without electricity have more than 500,000 gallons of gas sitting untapped in tanks, he said. "Gasoline has been moving at an incredible pace out of terminals," Smith said. "If not for Ivan, we would be in terrific shape."

Most Central Florida grocery stores were open Thursday and more were getting full power daily. Stores have steadily restocked.

Dwaine Stevens, Publix Super Markets Inc. spokesman, said most stores have been restocked, but there are shortages of some items, such as water and milk.

"Our supply chain has been challenged," he said. "But we're moving products quickly to catch up. Customer demand is strong and some products get in the store and are gone quickly."

Shane McEntarffer, Albertsons Inc. spokesman, said all 124 Florida stores, including 34 in Central Florida, were open Thursday and on full power.

Restocking has "gone pretty well," he said, though the new spike in demand could cause some problems.

The company's plans for Ivan include having vendors with loaded trucks waiting to move quickly if the storm hits the state, he said.

Kathy Lussier, spokeswoman for Winn-Dixie Stores Inc., said the company is stocking up on water and is diverting canned goods from Texas and the Midwest for delivery to Florida.

The company also is rushing supplies such as manual can openers and batteries to its stores, she said.

"Charley was a dress rehearsal," Lussier said. "We felt we were prepared for Francis and we'll be ready for Ivan."

Michael Polzin, a spokesman for Walgreen Co., said the company's stores Thursday were "in much better shape than earlier in the week. The restocking has gone pretty well."

The company is monitoring Ivan and plans to have loaded trucks positioned for a quick run into the state following a strike.

Polzin said store employees today will get a thank-you for their work through Hurricanes Charley and Frances.

About 5,000 pizzas will be delivered to the company's 630 Florida stores for employees, Polzin said.

Jack Snyder can be reached at 407-420-5094 or jsnyder@orlandosentinel.com.
Get home delivery - up to 50% off

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom