The Official Hurricane Frances thread...

imamouse

Many thanks, Corrus and Nemo, for the extensive updates on Hurricane Frances. My heart goes out to everyone who may be affected by this natural disaster. I've been through one of these before (Hugo) and it was terrible. I hope everyone, including pets, makes their way to safety. Best wishes and God bless.

Tim G

What Do Those
Hurricane Categories Mean ?

Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale

<!--startindex-->The Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale is a 1-5 rating based on the hurricane's present intensity. This is used to give an estimate of the potential property damage and flooding expected along the coast from a hurricane landfall. Wind speed is the determining factor in the scale, as storm surge values are highly dependent on the slope of the continental shelf in the landfall region.

Category One Hurricane:

Winds 74-95 mph. Storm surge generally 4-5 feet above normal. No real damage to building structures. Damage primarily to unanchored mobile homes, shrubbery, and trees. Some damage to poorly constructed signs. Also, some coastal road flooding and minor pier damage.

Category Two Hurricane:

Winds 96-110 mph. Storm surge generally 6-8 feet above normal. Some roofing material, door, and window damage of buildings. Considerable damage to shrubbery and trees with some trees blown down. Considerable damage to mobile homes, poorly constructed signs, and piers. Coastal and low-lying escape routes flood 2-4 hours before arrival of the hurricane center. Small craft in unprotected anchorages break moorings.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Category Three Hurricane:

Winds 111-130 mph. Storm surge generally 9-12 feet above normal. Some structural damage to small residences and utility buildings with a minor amount of curtainwall failures. Damage to shrubbery and trees with foliage blown off trees and large tress blown down. Mobile homes and poorly constructed signs are destroyed. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the hurricane center. Flooding near the coast destroys smaller structures with larger structures damaged by battering of floating debris. Terrain continuously lower than 5 ft above mean sea level may be flooded inland 8 miles or more. Evacuation of low-lying residences with several blocks of the shoreline may be required.

Category Four Hurricane:

Winds 131-155 mph. Storm surge generally 13-18 feet above normal. More extensive curtainwall failures with some complete roof structure failures on small residences. Shrubs, trees, and all signs are blown down. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Extensive damage to doors and windows. Low-lying escape routes may be cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the hurricane center. Major damage to lower floors of structures near the shore. Terrain lower than 10 feet above sea level may be flooded requiring massive evacuation of residential areas as far inland as 6 miles.

Category Five Hurricane:

Winds greater than 155 mph. Storm surge generally greater than 18 feet above normal. Complete roof failure on many residences and industrial buildings. Some complete building failures with small utility buildings blown over or away. All shrubs, trees, and signs blown down. Complete destructon of mobile homes. Severe and extensive window and door damage. Low-lying escape routes are cut by rising water 3-5 hours before arrival of the hurricane center. Major damage to lower floors of all structures located less than 15 feet above sea level and within 500 yards of the shoreline. Massive evacuation of residential areas on low ground within 5-10 miles of the shoreline may be required.

Tim G

15 Costliest Hurricanes To Hit U.S. Mainland

<!--startindex-->Note: All storms are hurricanes except Allison, which was a tropical storm. Figures are inflation-adjusted to the year 2000. The damage figures from the National Hurricane Center are based on insured property losses, according to its Web site.

Hurricane, Year, Category, Damage
  1. Andrew (Southeast Florida, Southeast Louisiana), 1992, 5, $34.9 billion
  2. Hugo (South Carolina), 1989, 4, $9.7 billion
  3. Agnes (Florida, Northeastern U.S.), 1972, 1, $8.6 billion
  4. Betsy (Southeast Florida, Southeast Louisiana), 1965, 3, $8.5 billion
  5. Camille (Mississippi, Southeast Louisiana, Virginia), 1969, 5, $7 billion
  6. Charley (Southwest and Central Florida), 2004, 4, $6.8 billion*
  7. Diane (Northeastern U.S.), 1955, 1, $5.5 billion
  8. Allison (Texas), 2001, $5 billion+
  9. Frederic (Alabama, Mississippi), 1979, 3, $4.97 billion
  10. Unnamed (New England), 1938, 3, $4.7 billion
  11. Floyd (Mid Atlantic & Northeastern U.S.), 1999, 2, $4.67 billion
  12. Fran (North Carolina), 1996, 3, $3.7 billion
  13. Opal (Northwest Florida, Alabama), 1995, 3, $3.5 billion
  14. Alicia (North Texas), 1983, 3, $3.4 billion
  15. Carol (Northeastern U.S.), 1954, 3, $3.1 billion
Key:

* -- est. insured damages; 2004 dollars
+ -- 2001 dollars <!--stopindex-->

Dizknee_Phreek

My dad's best friend lives in Venice, FL. He squeeked by Charley with minor roof damage (a few missing shingles). He's very concerned about Frances, though. He said if she comes up from the south, he's certain that his roof will be gone. Has there ever been a hurricane to plow all the way through FL like Frances is supposed to do?
For those of you who live in FL, I hope you find somewhere safe to wait out the storm. You're all in my prayers! Who knows, maybe a miracle will happen and she'll never even reach FL shores. Anything's possible. Here's hoping for the best! Take care, you all!

Piebald

They are closing Ft. Lauderdale Airport tomorrow and Miami Int'l is cancelling most of its flights tomorrow after 12.

patelaine1953

I'm just hearing on my local Boston, MA news that Frances may cross Florida, enter the Gulf then turn north for a second Florida hit on the panhandle.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
They are closing Ft. Lauderdale Airport tomorrow and Miami Int'l is cancelling most of its flights tomorrow after 12.

Palm Beach International is running until noon. Delta actually added a few departing flights for tomorrow earlier today.

If you are in South Florida, here is an interesting graphic from the Palm Beach Post detailing about how the winds will be.

winds.jpg

Atta83

Corrus said:
[*]Betsy (Southeast Florida, Southeast Louisiana), [*]Allison (Texas), 2001, $5 billion+

[*]Alicia (North Texas), 1983, 3, $3.4 billion

Man my parents went through Alica two months after I was born and just after they moved into their new home, they told me the stories on that one, she was not pretty..

Allison was not fun either. I had to work right before she hit land and driving in it was the pits. When I got home (another new home might I add) we flooded like crazy and could not get out of our neighboor hood for two days due to flooding.

Please take these warnings seriously!

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Tempers flare while people gather supplies, take to roads
By Henry Pierson Curtis | Sentinel Staff Writer

Tempers flared this morning as hundreds of people waiting to buy hurricane supplies at a Home Depot on Alafaya Trail saw the doors closed.

Store officials temporarily refused to allow anyone else inside at about 9 a.m., when they thought they were losing control of a line of customers waiting for a truck of supplies to arrive, said Orange County Sheriff's spokesman Cpl. Carlos Torres.

Many customers had been waiting since 4 a.m., when the store opened early to handle what was expected to be a heavy day of sales. A group of about 30 had spent the night outside the store waiting to buy generators only to learn that a Home Depot supplier would not ship anymore until after Hurricane Frances struck, so the hardest hit areas could be served first.

Deputies were summoned to the store when the customers who had arrived early became upset with later-arriving customers who sneaked into the line snaking through the store.

"It's getting kind of hairy. I'll tell you what, it's going to be worse tomorrow," Torres said. "Everybody knows if they act up they're going to get kicked out. And if they get kicked out , they won't get their stuff."

Tensions also rose at the Home Depot at the corner of West Colonial Drive and Hiawassee, where hundreds of customers formed three lines from the parking lot to the store's registers in order to buy plywood, nails, water, duct tape and other items.

At 8:10 a.m. at the same store, an El Sentinel reporter observed a brief shoving match when a woman in line lost her temper and shoved a store employee.

Meanwhile, I-4 road rage took on bizarre dimensions Thursday morning.

Two tractor trailers drivers parked in the middle of the interstate and had a fist fight.

"I've been a cop for 26 years and I thought I had seen everything," said Orange County sheriff's Chief Steve Jones, who broke up the fist fight. "Now I can say I have seen everything."

Jones was driving eastbound at 9:45 a.m. in bumper-to-bumper traffic toward what he thought must have been an accident. That's when he noticed two 18-wheelers stopped in the middle of the eastbound lanes as their drivers duked it out.

"I jumped out of my car, crossed the median and said, 'What are you guys doing? Y'all have any idea that the entire coast of Florida is evacuating and you're stopping traffic to fight?'" he said. "Just look, there's a million people behind you."

Ordered to get back in their trucks and leave, one of the drivers tried to argue the other one pushed him first.

"Obviously, on any other day, both of them would have gone to jail but that really would have backed up traffic," Jones said. "What would I do with two semis?"

Elsewhere, traffic backed up in both directions near the Lake Ivanhoe interchange as motorists stared in disbelief.

:rolleyes:

The next advisory from the NHC will be available at 11pm.

Atta83

NemoRocks78 said:
Tempers flare while people gather supplies, take to roads
By Henry Pierson Curtis | Sentinel Staff Writer

Tempers flared this morning as hundreds of people waiting to buy hurricane supplies at a Home Depot on Alafaya Trail saw the doors closed.

Store officials temporarily refused to allow anyone else inside at about 9 a.m., when they thought they were losing control of a line of customers waiting for a truck of supplies to arrive, said Orange County Sheriff's spokesman Cpl. Carlos Torres.

Many customers had been waiting since 4 a.m., when the store opened early to handle what was expected to be a heavy day of sales. A group of about 30 had spent the night outside the store waiting to buy generators only to learn that a Home Depot supplier would not ship anymore until after Hurricane Frances struck, so the hardest hit areas could be served first.

Deputies were summoned to the store when the customers who had arrived early became upset with later-arriving customers who sneaked into the line snaking through the store.

"It's getting kind of hairy. I'll tell you what, it's going to be worse tomorrow," Torres said. "Everybody knows if they act up they're going to get kicked out. And if they get kicked out , they won't get their stuff."

Tensions also rose at the Home Depot at the corner of West Colonial Drive and Hiawassee, where hundreds of customers formed three lines from the parking lot to the store's registers in order to buy plywood, nails, water, duct tape and other items.

At 8:10 a.m. at the same store, an El Sentinel reporter observed a brief shoving match when a woman in line lost her temper and shoved a store employee.

Meanwhile, I-4 road rage took on bizarre dimensions Thursday morning.

Two tractor trailers drivers parked in the middle of the interstate and had a fist fight.

"I've been a cop for 26 years and I thought I had seen everything," said Orange County sheriff's Chief Steve Jones, who broke up the fist fight. "Now I can say I have seen everything."

Jones was driving eastbound at 9:45 a.m. in bumper-to-bumper traffic toward what he thought must have been an accident. That's when he noticed two 18-wheelers stopped in the middle of the eastbound lanes as their drivers duked it out.

"I jumped out of my car, crossed the median and said, 'What are you guys doing? Y'all have any idea that the entire coast of Florida is evacuating and you're stopping traffic to fight?'" he said. "Just look, there's a million people behind you."

Ordered to get back in their trucks and leave, one of the drivers tried to argue the other one pushed him first.

"Obviously, on any other day, both of them would have gone to jail but that really would have backed up traffic," Jones said. "What would I do with two semis?"

Elsewhere, traffic backed up in both directions near the Lake Ivanhoe interchange as motorists stared in disbelief.

:rolleyes:

The next advisory from the NHC will be available at 11pm.

This is the reason why people should buy these supplies at the beggining of the season just in case stuff like this should ever happen..... :king:

Woody13

Corrus said:
"We're going to look at it as one more adventure," said Delaney, a civilian Department of Defense worker whose 13-year-old daughter and 11-year-old son saved three years worth of pocket change totaling $600 for the trip. "We saved up three years to come here and a hurricane isn't going to stop us."
Thanks Corrus, that quote is priceless. It just goes to show how important WDW is to many people. They saved their money for three years before they could afford to visit WDW. That says a lot!:wave:

Tim G

Emergency Information For Central Florida

Citizen information phonelines have been opened in the following counties.
Also included are links to the county's Emergency Services.

Brevard County: Emergency Services
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Flagler County: 386-437-8202 | Emergency Services

Lake County: 352-343-9732 | Emergency Services

Marion County: 352-369-6807 | Emergency Services

Orange County: Emergency Services

Osceola County: 407-343-6942 | Emergency Services

Polk County: 863-534-0321 or 866-661-0228

Seminole County: 407-665-2650 | Emergency Services

Volusia County: 866-345-0345 | Emergency Services<!--stopindex-->

Gail Hayden

Corrus,
Since you seem to be the "answer man" here :), and certainly NOT to appear insensative to the situation, how likely do you think it will be that MCO will be open on Sunday?
Yep, I redid my plans.
Thank you for all your informative updates, you are better than the weather sites. :)

Atta83

It depends on how much damage MCO has sustained during the storm. Flights could be delayed there due to damage around the airport.

Tim G

Gail Hayden said:
How likely do you think it will be that MCO will be open on Sunday?
I checked with MCO... this is what I got...

Flight operations will cease at noon on Friday, September 3rd due to hurricane Frances.
Therefore, before arriving at the airport, please contact your airline directly to obtain information

So dunno.... It all depends... :dazzle:

Woody13

Atta83 said:
This is the reason why people should buy these supplies at the beggining of the season just in case stuff like this should ever happen..... :king:
You are absolutely correct Atta! The Department of Homeland Security has stated that every person in the United States should have an emergency kit that will enable them to be completely self sufficient for at least three days including food, water, clothes, medications, communications, temporary shelter and first aid supplies. I'm set for 30 days, just in case.

Atta83

Woody13 said:
You are absolutely correct Atta! The Department of Homeland Security has stated that every person in the United States should have an emergency kit that will enable them to be completely self sufficient for at least three days including food, water, clothes, medications, communications, temporary shelter and first aid supplies. I'm set for 30 days, just in case.

Yeah you should see our garage, we are ready for a hurricane when it hits... We got the plywood, we got the clips for the plywood, the gas cans, and the water (well we drink alot of water here so we always have it), we got trash bags to throw our cloths in if we are in a rush, I mean you name it we got it. We take these type of precautions very seriously in our family. :)

Gail Hayden

Corrus said:
I checked with MCO... this is what I got...

Flight operations will cease at noon on Friday, September 3rd due to hurricane Frances.
Therefore, before arriving at the airport, please contact your airline directly to obtain information

So dunno.... It all depends... :dazzle:
Yep, I got the same info from the website. I guess I was looking for an educated guess. :)

Gail Hayden

Atta83 said:
It depends on how much damage MCO has sustained during the storm. Flights could be delayed there due to damage around the airport.
Yep, kinda figured that, I was looking for an educated guess. MCO is not really super with updates. :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom