The Official Hurricane Frances thread...

Tim G

Hurricane Warnings Issued For Florida Coastline

UPDATED: 3:22 pm EDT September 2, 2004

STUART, Fla. -- Hurricane warnings went up and more than a million coastal residents were told to evacuate Thursday as Florida braced for Hurricane Frances, which could be the mightiest storm to hit the state in a decade.

Forecasters said Frances' dangerous core could still strike anywhere along Florida, either late Friday or early Saturday.

Other evacuation orders were issued for 300,000 people in Palm Beach County and up to 250,000 residents in Broward County, which contains Fort Lauderdale. Those who live in mobile homes and on barrier islands of about half a dozen counties also were ordered to find safer locations. Forecasters said storm surges of 15 feet or more could affect the coast if Frances takes dead aim.

Traffic was starting to back up on Interstate 95, the main north-south highway along the state's east coast. It stretched for at least 5 miles in Brevard County, east of Orlando, but was moving slowly.

The storm and evacuations it forces are certain to spoil Labor Day outings and make a mess of holiday travel across the Southeast. Florida may reverse lanes on some highways to handle the evacuation traffic, state Emergency Management Director Craig Fugate said. Tolls were rescinded on major roads.

State officials hoped to avoid a repeat of the evacuation mess during Hurricane Floyd in 1999, when 1.3 million people were told to evacuate the state's East Coast. Traffic backed up 30 miles or more as people headed inland although only the outer effect's of the storm were felt in Florida.

Many businesses along the Atlantic coast began closing Wednesday, some not planning to reopen until Sunday at the earliest. Even Cape Canaveral's Kennedy Space Center said it planned to shut down, leery of the havoc Frances could bring.

Frances is just as strong as Hurricane Charley, which devastated Florida's southwest coast Aug. 13, but twice the size, said Stephen Baig, a forecaster at the National Hurricane Center in Miami. Frances was also about twice the size of 1992's more powerful Hurricane Andrew, which destroyed much of southern Miami-Dade County.

That means that Frances' hurricane-force winds, which extend up to 80 miles from its center, can cause just as much damage over a larger area, Baig said Thursday.

Supermarkets along the state's Atlantic coast were stripped of bottled water and canned goods. Long lines formed outside home supply stores across the state, with dozens of people desperately hoping for a chance to buy scarce plywood or generators. A delivery truck's arrival was met with raucous applause in Palm Beach County.

Tim G

At 5 p.m. EDT, the eye of Hurricane Frances was located near latitude 24.1 north, longitude 74.8 west -- very near San Salvador Island in the Bahamas -- or about 375 miles east-southeast of the lower Florida east coast.

Frances is moving toward the northwest near 10 mph, and a northwestward to west-northwestward motion with some decrease in forward speed is expected during the next 24 hours. On this track, the core of Hurricane Frances will continue to move near or over the central Bahamas Thursday and will move over the northwestern Bahamas on Friday.

Maximum sustained winds are near 140 mph, with higher gusts. Frances remains a dangerous Category 4 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson hurricane scale. Some fluctuations in intensity are possible during the next 24 hours.

tigsmom

I think I'm going to have to stop reading this thread...the more I read the more afraid I become for all of you who live in Florida.

Corrus, as I read your Huricane Local Statement the hair on the back of my neck & arms started to crawl. I just can't imaging going thru something like this.

Please, everybody use your heads...stay safe. :kiss:

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
From the Orlando Sentinel:

TALLAHASSEE -- With a northern turn for Hurricane Frances looking much less likely, state officials today warned residents that the time to get ready for the enormous storm is now.

"You cannot put this off; you cannot delay," said Craig Fugate, the coordinating officer for the State Emergency Response Team.

"It is not time to hope; it is time to act."

A hurricane watch is in effect from Craig Key to Flagler Beach, with evacuation orders going into effect throughout the day. More are expected later today.

State meteorologist Ben Nelson said that Frances is now packing top winds of 145 mph, extending 80 miles from the eye of the storm. The hurricane is much larger than Hurricane Charley, he said, exponentially increasing the potential for major damage over a wide area of the state.

"This is not going to be a large tornado, like Charley was," Nelson said. "This is going to be a full-fledged hurricane."

Nelson said that forecasting models now agree that the Bermuda high ridge, which is a factor in steering the storm, will probably not weaken enough to allow Frances to turn north and skirt the coast of Florida.

Frances could bring 10 to 15 inches are rain to areas along its path, he said.

While the storm is not expected to hit until Friday afternoon at the earliest, state officials were getting ready and urged residents to do the same.

A few hospitals -- including Cape Canveral Hospital -- were closing and transferring patients inland.

Florida Gov. Jeb Bush drew on his own experience with Hurricane Andrew to warn Floridians living in evacuation zones for Hurricane Frances to get out.

"When you feel the force of the winds that possibly could hit our state, and you feel as though the house that you're in is about ready to implode - literally just explode outward because of the pressure of the wind -- and you see the projectiles of the stuff that used to be attached to gas station roofs or other things like that 50 feet or 100 feet up in the air, and you know that there are tornadoes in these storms - we need to take this seriously," Bush said this morning, during a tour of the Brevard County Emergency Operations Center.

"This is a deadly storm," he said. For people living in evacuation zones, "It'd be foolish to stay.

"It creates some logistical challenges when a hurricane watch is from Dade County up to Nassau County," Bush said, though he pointed that evacuee need only go as far as the nearest shelter. "You don't have to leave your community….There are ways to get to a place of safety without having to get on I-95.

Bush said state emergency workers have learned lessons from Charley, such as ensuring more gasoline is available in hard hit areas and advising smaller power companies to work more closely with the state's two major utilities, Progress Energy and Florida Power & Light.

He also said inland areas of the state should be more prepared after they were ravaged by Charley.

"One of the things I think is really important for people to understand - and I think people in Orlando understand it now - is that hurricanes don't stop at the coastline," Bush said.

"This is gonna hit us," Bush added. "And it's gonna hit us hard."

Col. Chris Knight of the Florida Highway Patrol said the agency is watching traffic on Interstate 95 and the Bee Line Expressway, and is prepared to make the latter road one-way westbound if necessary.

Some schools were closed today, and others across the state were preparing to close and be converted into emergency shelters.

Tolls have been lifted on Florida's Turnpike and the Bee Line, as well as on the Sawgrass Expressway in Broward County and Interstate 75 westbound between Naples and Fort Lauderdale.

Officials told residents they should fill prescriptions, stockpile enough food and water for at least 72 hours and prepare their homes. They said people should not delay once an evacuation order comes down -- but cautioned that they should move tens, not hundreds, of miles, since escaping the storm entirely will be difficult.

"There are going to be very few places in Florida that won't be impacted," Fugate said. "If you're trying to evacuate away from the impact of the storm, that won't be possible."

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
By the way, folks....Tropical Depression Nine has formed. I cannot wait any longer for this season to end.....but that day comes on November 30th. :rolleyes:

022053W5.gif

Tim G

If my "Hurricane Local Statement" posts is getting people scared I will stick to Updates and Radar...

So.... if anyone else is getting afraid of my "Statement" please Reply on this post...

If anyone else wants me to continue with "Statement" posts please say so..

It's not, by any means, my intention to scare anyone... I'm trying to get everyone informed... :D

The_CEO

I say keep us informed with all the info you can pull out. The more the better. If the person doesn't like to read it. Just skip the post? I enjoy the information.

samshem

I just saw a report on the Weather Channel saying that the storm is weakening a bit a may weaken some more before it hits the coast which would be great.

Atta83

As she slowly come on to land and nears it she will lose strenght while coming over, which should be good news :) well i hope...

DDuckFan130

As of 6:00pm, my brother and my dad are in the process of putting up the plywood while the rest of us either make dinner for tonight, wash the bathtubs so we can fill them up later, and move in stuff from outside. I seriously wasn't scared about this but watching the news 24/7 and reading all this stuff online, a person can get traumatized. And I saw on the news that despite the warnings and what happened with Charley, a lot of mobile home residents still don't want to leave, which is tragic.

If anyone can answer this I'd appreciate it because I'm curious. We have a garage, but it's not worth mentioning because we can't put either of our cars in there. So what do we do with the cars? My mom drives a Windstar and my dad drives a Corolla. Any suggestions? My dad said he still has to figure it out, but after they do the other stuff first.

ChrisH9339

Frances Track

The problem with this storm is that it's "wobbling." The 5pm projections show it going south of the Metro Orlando area, but that could change by the 11pm projections. Remember that Charley was supposed to hit Tampa until 3 hours before it made landfall.
This mainly affects the coastal communities. Metro Orlando and the LBV area need to get ready for about 10 inches of rain and high winds and hope for a wobble further south when the storm makes landfall.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Frances weakens a bit
5:59 P.M. ET Thu.,Sep.2,2004
Tom Moore, Sr. Meteorologist, The Weather Channel

Frances is still a dangerous hurricane but the good news is that the central pressure has risen considerably since Thursday winds have come down a bit. It remains to be seen if this weakening is a temporary trend or if the storm will become stronger again. San Salvador, in the Bahamas, reported a sustained wind of 114 mph as the island took a direct hit. The storm will move slowly toward coastal Florida.
Hurricane warnings have been issued for much of Florida's east coast. These areas could start feeling the effects of the storm by late Friday. Present thinking puts landfall on the central or southern portion of the east coast of Florida, possibly as early as Fridday night or Saturday morning. There is still a margin of error due to the angle at which Frances is approaching the coast. While the landfall point is important, the destructive impacts from Frances will be widespread. This storm is larger and will affect more land than Charley did once it makes landfall. If you are in a weak structure like a mobile home, make plans to evacuate to a shelter or out of the path of the storm. This kind of hurricane can destroy a mobile home. Board up windows and secure outdoor objects (lawn furniture, trash cans, etc). Prune trees and shrubbery and harvest fruit if possible. Keep in mind that tropical storm force winds and building surf will precede the approach of the hurricane by quite some time.

Meanwhile, in the eastern Pacific, category-4 Hurricane Howard appears to be growing stronger about 405 miles southwest of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Howard is expected to move northwestward, however, and remain well off the Mexican coast.

In the western Pacific, Typhoon Songda is sweeping WNW from the northern Mariana Islands and could reach Taiwan in the next 4 days.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
DDuckFan130 said:
As of 6:00pm, my brother and my dad are in the process of putting up the plywood while the rest of us either make dinner for tonight, wash the bathtubs so we can fill them up later, and move in stuff from outside. I seriously wasn't scared about this but watching the news 24/7 and reading all this stuff online, a person can get traumatized. And I saw on the news that despite the warnings and what happened with Charley, a lot of mobile home residents still don't want to leave, which is tragic.

If anyone can answer this I'd appreciate it because I'm curious. We have a garage, but it's not worth mentioning because we can't put either of our cars in there. So what do we do with the cars? My mom drives a Windstar and my dad drives a Corolla. Any suggestions? My dad said he still has to figure it out, but after they do the other stuff first.

Honestly, my thought is "away from trees". It's stupid, I know, but.... My next thought is close to the house. I don't know why, it just seems like the house would provide a bit of shelter for them.

I vote for "Statements". :)

Atta83

Im hoping that this TD 9 wont be as powerful as Frances hopefully she has taken all the power to leave this one weak ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom