The "Not So" Grand Floridian

Tigerdaly

I have just been reading around the posts over the last few days and I saw someone mention the Grand Floridian has been down graded on its star rating.
Has something happened to cause this ? Has Disney intentionally let this happen or has it always been teetering on the edge and now fallen now its aging.
I was looking to book this hotel next year however I'd hate to put my money into a failing resort when there are so many other beautiful ones about.

ImaYoyo

There are MANY factors in star/diamond ratings that don't always have anything to do with the quality of the resort. Disney Resorts can NEVER be considered 5 star/5 diamond for a multitude of reasons, mostly because of the high amounts of children roaming around, combined with noise levels and certain in-room services that are not offered.

It's best to use these ratings as a guide for what type of resort you are staying at rather than the overall quality of said resort.

Upvote 0

Tigerdaly

Original Poster
There are MANY factors in star/diamond ratings that don't always have anything to do with the quality of the resort. Disney Resorts can NEVER be considered 5 star/5 diamond for a multitude of reasons, mostly because of the high amounts of children roaming around, combined with noise levels and certain in-room services that are not offered.

It's best to use these ratings as a guide for what type of resort you are staying at rather than the overall quality of said resort.

I get what you mean however my concern is the Grand Floridian has lost a rating.
To lose a rating you must not be as good and something has changed.

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

If you want to stay for a rating then you may have a bit of a wait. Just about everybody goes to the different resorts for themes, atmosphere, price. There's just so much to consider that ratings really don't matter. If you want to be pampered then go to the high end resorts, if your looking for a bargain then alittle research will work there too. For instance, SSR's spa received a rating that put it one of the top 5 in the world a couple of years ago, but the resort was not mentioned that it was part of the reason, so if you want to go for the spa and not the accomidations..... toeach his own.

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I understand the question, and hope that someone can give us a reason. As others have mentioned, it may be something minor that really won't affect your comfort. I know that minor things, such as whether it's a platform or frame bed can make a difference, or whether the room has double vanities vs single, tub/shower combo vs stall & tub, a door/partition between toilet & rest of bath, spa tub, type of TV, etc all count towards the points that determine ratings. Hours of room service, turn down service (mint or no mint :lol: ) robes or no robes; the list goes on, and then the points are added to give a rating.

So it may be something they eliminated (or didn't add) that you would never notice that gave them the lower rating.

Upvote 0

Tigerdaly

Original Poster
Thank goodness for Mom and Christie,
You both have the same outlook as myself. I fully understand that Disney hotels are normally booked by the theme and the resort location and transport links etc:
All I wanted to know is WHY :brick: have they been reduced in star rating.
Someone out there must have a bit of inside knowledge.

Upvote 0

Carolla5501

Thank goodness for Mom and Christie,
You both have the same outlook as myself. I fully understand that Disney hotels are normally booked by the theme and the resort location and transport links etc:
All I wanted to know is WHY :brick: have they been reduced in star rating.
Someone out there must have a bit of inside knowledge.

Probably service. The Disney "Deluxe" hotels do NOT measure up to the standards on the service/amenities side. The theory on "swmsuits" etc might explain a failure to receive a five star. Failure to provide the acceptable service levels will dump them to a 3 star and I think that's what has happened.

The thing to realize that with Disney you are paying DRAMATIC amounts for LOCATION. Compare the pricing at the GF to the pricing of the Ritz Carlton in Orlando. Generally the GF is MUCH more costly. I have stayed at both. NO COMPARISON, service, room quality, amenities etc. win hands down at the Ritz. The only positive on the GF side would be the location. IMHO Disney has reached the rip off stage with the Deluxe resorts and I won't pay them those prices anymore. The Ritz generally gets a four star....

If you read standards for rankings and compare them to the GF, I think you will find it's service. (or the lack thereof!)

Upvote 0

durangojim

I think one problem is that overall service has slipped alot over the years, but of course that is subjecive. Objectively speaking the rooms are in dire need of refurbishment. Peeling wallpaper, leaking AC systems, and broken bed posts do not make for a luxury resort. We've stayed at the GF for many times, always in a castle view room, and it breaks my wife's and my heart to see what it has become. I proposed to her outside of Sago Cay and hope Disney returns it to her past glory. Btw, if someone wants exceptional service I'm sure the new Four Seasons will fit the bill, at least if they're as good as the one in Maui.

Upvote 0

k.hunter30

I think one problem is that overall service has slipped alot over the years, but of course that is subjecive. Objectively speaking the rooms are in dire need of refurbishment. Peeling wallpaper, leaking AC systems, and broken bed posts do not make for a luxury resort. We've stayed at the GF for many times, always in a castle view room, and it breaks my wife's and my heart to see what it has become. I proposed to her outside of Sago Cay and hope Disney returns it to her past glory. Btw, if someone wants exceptional service I'm sure the new Four Seasons will fit the bill, at least if they're as good as the one in Maui.
Thanks durango - your response gives a good answer to the question posted. That's ashame about the service... I've never had the privilege of staying at the GL (but I have stayed at the Poly, Contemporary, WL, etc.) Maybe I'll just stick with those...:shrug:

Upvote 0

DisneyDragon

Don't forget that this rating system is NOT objective, but rather, subjective. A drop in the GF rating could be due to, as two examples:

1) More hotels that deserve the 5-star rating have been opened, refurbed or discovered, meaning while the GF is good, it's not AS good as the other hotels (not necessarily Disney hotels either, but often compared on a global or national scale).

2) The rater/reviewer had a particularly bad experience, and could not give a full 5-star rating due to multiple issues.

I don't think the GF is what it used to be, but I wouldn't call it a slum, either. However, if point (1) is correct, it means that the GF has either slid or stayed the same while other hotels improved. Traditional Disney values would have had it keeping pace, but that can be very expensive, especially on the scale of the GF compared to other, often boutique, hotels. However, given the rates they charge for the GF, one would think that they would do better.

Upvote 0

tikiman

Who is it that issues the Star rating? I know AAA does the Diamond rating and none of the WDW resort have ever had a five diamond rating. Recently the Polynesian gained back it’s 4th diamond and during the review of the Polynesian someone from AAA mentioned that the Beach Club might lose one of their Diamonds because of the condition of the resort.

Upvote 0

isitingood

Probably service. The Disney "Deluxe" hotels do NOT measure up to the standards on the service/amenities side. The theory on "swmsuits" etc might explain a failure to receive a five star. Failure to provide the acceptable service levels will dump them to a 3 star and I think that's what has happened.

The thing to realize that with Disney you are paying DRAMATIC amounts for LOCATION. Compare the pricing at the GF to the pricing of the Ritz Carlton in Orlando. Generally the GF is MUCH more costly. I have stayed at both. NO COMPARISON, service, room quality, amenities etc. win hands down at the Ritz. The only positive on the GF side would be the location. IMHO Disney has reached the rip off stage with the Deluxe resorts and I won't pay them those prices anymore. The Ritz generally gets a four star....

If you read standards for rankings and compare them to the GF, I think you will find it's service. (or the lack thereof!)

It's not just service, it has a lot to do with facilities as well. The gym at the GF is only average at best. I have stayed at the GF and the the service was fantastic even better then the Grand Wailea.

Upvote 0

durangojim

Thanks durango - your response gives a good answer to the question posted. That's ashame about the service... I've never had the privilege of staying at the GL (but I have stayed at the Poly, Contemporary, WL, etc.) Maybe I'll just stick with those...:shrug:

The WL is a fantastic resort and in my opinion a great value. It's hard to justifiy spending $400-700 a night in a place when we've stayed at other resorts for the same amount or less and the service and amenities have been much nicer. IMO unless you stay in a room at the GF with a view of the castle, there are better places to stay at Disney. Not saying the GF is awful or bad, but I can remember that for the first five or seven years after it openened it really was the crown jewel. Everything was clean and kept in excellent condition and the service was top notch. after that things began to slide and are not anywhere near where they should be. It may be costly, but renovating the rooms would go along way. We've decided that it doesn't make sense to stay there anymore until things change for the better (I'm sure Disney will take note :) ).

Upvote 0

Carola5501

Don't forget that this rating system is NOT objective, but rather, subjective. A drop in the GF rating could be due to, as two examples:

1) More hotels that deserve the 5-star rating have been opened, refurbed or discovered, meaning while the GF is good, it's not AS good as the other hotels (not necessarily Disney hotels either, but often compared on a global or national scale).

2) The rater/reviewer had a particularly bad experience, and could not give a full 5-star rating due to multiple issues.

I don't think the GF is what it used to be, but I wouldn't call it a slum, either. However, if point (1) is correct, it means that the GF has either slid or stayed the same while other hotels improved. Traditional Disney values would have had it keeping pace, but that can be very expensive, especially on the scale of the GF compared to other, often boutique, hotels. However, given the rates they charge for the GF, one would think that they would do better.

Just a note, most reputable rating service (Mobil, AAA etc) will NOT drop a hotel a rating due to one bad experience. If the hotel is being downgraded for example from a 4 to a 3 star, there would be at least two visits to confirm the rating change.

IMHO Disney should be held to the same standard as every other hotel, not given the "it's Disney" excuse. Why? If the MK slips to the same standard as Six Flags would it be OK because "it's Disney"? If anything, you should expect MORE from Disney and in truth if I compare the All Stars and Pop to my local Fairfield Inn the comparison is probably very favorable to Disney.

I stayed at the GF within those so called "good years" Compared to other "deluxe" hotels that I have stayed at, service was HORRID. I was very disappointed and felt like I was ripped off. As prices have risen I feel that way now about almost all the "deluxe" resorts. IMHO the mods offer a good comprimise. I am paying for location, but not being ripped off.

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Why spend a fortune on a place to sleep and store your clothes. Money that could be better spent on beer.

Most of the ratings are pants anyway, when I go into a room I dont get the tape measure out. If its clean and tidy and the electrics work thatll do for me.

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

Many people really like the Polynesian. It always gets good reviews.
It is good for comparing to the Grand Floridian, for value and service, because they are both Deluxe monorail resorts located next to each other and near the Magic Kingdom.

Current 2007 pricing for a standard room during regular season runs:

Polynesian $385 - $515.
GF $425 - $535.

Could it be that the Polynesian has a better perceived value due to its South Seas theme whereas the Grand Floridian tries to build it's reputation soley on pomp and luxury?
The GF needs to maintain a higher standard.

:cool:

Upvote 0

wdwmomof3

I saw where the Grand Floridian charges 2000.00 a night for the Walt Disney Suite. WOW... how much is it going to be to stay in the Castle?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom