The new TTA is just plain annoying now. Another ruined ride.

devoy1701

The thing that gets me is that the new narration is a decline in theme and the attraction's close conenction with the land.
It's called Tomorrowland Transit Authority, but the transit part seems left out now.
The witty connections to the land's theme (skyway traffic report, message about keeping tentacles in the car, and the paging of Tom Morrow) are now gone.

And then there's the Space Mountain part.....you cant see anything. It's too dark. That section of the ride has become boring (yes, it is relaxful too). It seems like a wasted opportunity to further promote Space Mountain or to include a new showroom....

well since they replaced some of the walls on the track in SM with transparent walls....and the ride slows down there...you can get some GREAT views of SM, it is dark, but you can still see enough to see the cars and the effects on the dome.

and what you said about those witty connections is exactly what I was trying to explain earlier...its now just a tour of Tomorrowland...it has lost all storyline...farther deteriorates the "City of Tomorrow" idea, and like you said, loses all idea of it being a transportation system.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I certainly prefer the old version out of nostalgia, but even considering that, I fail to see how the new version is an "improvement."

ABigBrassBand

When was the new audio added in? I rode it early Jan, was that with the new audio? I really didn't notice the difference, I still found it relaxing and a perfect thing to do to take a break.

DisneyNut2007

The ride isn't ruined. It just went back to its roots. An advertisement for the attractions around Tomorrowland. If you don't like this version, you wouldn't have liked ORAC-1 either.

I agree.

But I do agree with the earlier statement that the writing is rather poor. It seems that all attraction scripts are getting dumbed down. Shame.

Sorry, but I cannot agree with this part of your statement, however.

Animaniac93-98

I find it amusing how something from 1994 can be considered "classic". Clearly "classic" has become synonymous with nostalgia which can be packaged for any given age group. Enduring any multiple decades of cross generational appeal be damned.

Disney also tried to go back to something "nostalgic" by having a style of narration similar to ORAC-1, which by default of begin different is horrible to some people. I'm suprised they even bothered to change it.

I'm indifferent to both narrations so I don't think one by itself is better than another and I would never compare it to the SEE decent problem. The older narration makes more sense for what New Tomorrowland was, but I don't see how this one change is the end of of the world or makes TTA unrideable. The new lighting is great too.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
New audio was added October 2nd, I`m happy to say I was one of the first to hear it :D

It isn`t that bad. If you grew up with ORAC-1 you'd say the 1994 version ruined the WEDway. If you grew up with Jack Wagner you`d say ORAC-1 ruined it.

Overall the ride is a lost opportunity now though. So much scope for visuals in SM (and audio) that is wasted.

Animaniac93-98

When was the new audio added in? I rode it early Jan, was that with the new audio? I really didn't notice the difference, I still found it relaxing and a perfect thing to do to take a break.

Summer 2009. If you went in early January like me, you heard the new audio.

Edit: Martin says December so I says December too. Maybe it was the new lighting in the summer?

ryno1982

I find it amusing how something from 1994 can be considered "classic". Clearly "classic" has become synonymous with nostalgia which can be packaged for any given age group. Enduring any multiple decades of cross generational appeal be damned.

Disney also tried to go back to something "nostalgic" by having a style of narration similar to ORAC-1, which by default of begin different is horrible to some people. I'm suprised they even bothered to change it.

I'm indifferent to both narrations so I don't think one by itself is better than another and I would never compare it to the SEE decent problem. The older narration makes more sense for what New Tomorrowland was, but I don't see how this one change is the end of of the world or makes TTA unrideable. The new lighting is great too.

Why can't something from 1994 be a classic? ToT is a classic. Kilimanjaro Safaris and Test Track are classics too, and they are even newer. To me quality is what defines a classic, not age.

There wouldn't be nearly as many complaints if the new narration was well written or made sense. What we have is inferior in every way to the last narration, and I think that's a justifiable reason to be upset.

Now maybe if they didn't make mention to Walt Disney World, use the stupid phrase "It's out of this world!" twice, at least attempt to explain Monsters Inc's involvement in Tomorrowland, or not state that four families invite us into their home in the Carousel of Progress, we'd be able to live with the changes.

I will agree that SSE is still a bigger mess.

gjpjtj

We were there January 8th, and it was definitely the new audio. I must say I prefer the old, however I'm sure it's due to nostalgia, I never got to hear the audio prior to 1997, so this version was all I knew.

I know I'm in the minority on this one, but I actually preferred the old lighting, kind of had a retro '70's feel.:(

Animaniac93-98

Why can't something from 1994 be a classic? ToT is a classic. Kilimanjaro Safaris and Test Track are classics too, and they are even newer. To me quality is what defines a classic, not age.

To me "classic" is quality that has the ability to survive time, and 15 years to me isn't "time". I would not consider the three you listed classics just because they are quality (and I'd debate Test Track's quality) or popular as much as I enjoy them. Tower of Terror will likely become classic though, because it's appeal will probably be timeless along with the memorable nature of the attraction. I don't see a TTA narration begin all that memorable or important to the average visitor.

There wouldn't be nearly as many complaints if the new narration was well written or made sense. What we have is inferior in every way to the last narration, and I think that's a justifiable reason to be upset.

Now maybe if they didn't make mention to Walt Disney World, use the stupid phrase "It's out of this world!" twice, at least attempt to explain Monsters Inc's involvement in Tomorrowland, or not state that four families invite us into their home in the Carousel of Progress, we'd be able to live with the changes.

I don't see how mentioning WDW is any worse than ORAC-1 mentioning Tomorrowland or that "out of this world" is any less stupid than the mentioning of tentacles in the ride vehicle when they aren't there. I also don't believe the TTA should explain MI's involvement in the land (that's up to MI itself).

As for CoP's family, I guess I'll give you that, but I won't loose sleep over it.

Just looking at the 1975-1985 narration, "out of this world" is used along with the Walt Disney World monorail and "vacation kingdom" begin referenced and it describes "four families" for the CoP ("four warm and humorous families") and even King Stefan's Banquet Hall! Really interesting.

http://www.waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/id219.htm

Future Guy

My wife and I took a day trip to the MK in October, not long after the audio was changed. Although we've been to WDW several times since we've been married, I'm the Disney geek and she's more the average parkgoer who just enjoys the trip and doesn't obsess over minor details.

I'd read a lot of opinions on here about the new TTA audio (most of them complaining that the new audio track had retroactively ruined their childhood and emboldened the terrorists) but I was curious about the average person's point of view. So, about halfway through the ride I turned to my wife and said "What do you think of the new audio track?"

She blinked. "They changed it?"

And that's when I realized that the "new" audio largely doesn't interfere with most people's enjoyment of the park.

captainkidd

I hate the audio as well. Mickey with his "It's out of this world!" squeal by Mickey's Star Traders, and the removal of "Paging Tom Morrow" is bad. The dumbest part about it isn't the audio - It's the wall up in Space Mountain. What the hell is that all about???? Good idea - Let's block out the most interesting part of the entire ride. We'll just send guests through 2 minutes of complete darkness.

devoy1701

My wife and I took a day trip to the MK in October, not long after the audio was changed. Although we've been to WDW several times since we've been married, I'm the Disney geek and she's more the average parkgoer who just enjoys the trip and doesn't obsess over minor details.

I'd read a lot of opinions on here about the new TTA audio (most of them complaining that the new audio track had retroactively ruined their childhood and emboldened the terrorists) but I was curious about the average person's point of view. So, about halfway through the ride I turned to my wife and said "What do you think of the new audio track?"

She blinked. "They changed it?"

And that's when I realized that the "new" audio largely doesn't interfere with most people's enjoyment of the park.

And that's the sad truth..... ::sigh::

devoy1701

I hate the audio as well. Mickey with his "It's out of this world!" squeal by Mickey's Star Traders, and the removal of "Paging Tom Morrow" is bad. The dumbest part about it isn't the audio - It's the wall up in Space Mountain. What the hell is that all about???? Good idea - Let's block out the most interesting part of the entire ride. We'll just send guests through 2 minutes of complete darkness.

I mentioned in an earlier post that have opened up about half of the walled area through SM. You get some pretty great views now.

kcnole

And I have to disagree...while the originial versions of the ride was a guided tour of a "City of Tomorrow" (Tomorrowland in essence), this current tour is nothing more than just a tour of Tomorrowland. There is no imagination in it, no story, nothing more than what you actually see. Kind of unoriginal if you ask me!!!

You're not going back far enough in your memories. Search online and find the videos of Orac-1 and Jack Wagner. What we have now is like a melded version of those two narrations. I grew up on those and always hated the 94 version. I think those of you who are so upset about this recent change only knew the recent version. Those of us who remember the pre-94 versions may not be crazy about it, but realize its very similar in tone and script as those. In fact parts of the script are verbatim to the Wagner script.

I do agree that the voice needs some work, the script needs tightening up, and they need to do quite a bit in the space mountain section. But its not this horrendous disaster so many make it out to be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom